Memphis loses OC to ND

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Memphis lost their OC, Chip Long, to ND today. He may well end up back in the league as a HC.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Another year like this past one, and Brian Kelly will be looking for a job. ND Alumni are not overly enamored with him to begin with. I personally think he took his Irish squad a whole lot further in 2015 than anyone would have thought, given the injuries that squad faced (top QB, two top RB's, top DL all went down either before the season or very early in the season.) Notre Dame fans and alumni think they should at minimum be in the conversation for the playoff every year. This year that ended week 1.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They were very young this year. They'll have a new OC,DC and ST coach next year.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:They were very young this year. They'll have a new OC,DC and ST coach next year.
Define young?

They had 6 RS or true Frosh on the 44 man 2 deep depth chart, and the (very few) Sophomores on the 2 deep mostly played last year (2015) as they had as many or more injuries as any team in recent memory. Certainly, we know a team that was at least twice as young (in terms of underclassmen on the 2 deep) as Notre Dame.

The QB position was manned by a Junior and a Senior. Both lines were laden with upperclassmen. The problem was that the team didn't know how to tackle. Yes, they will (in 2017) have new coordinators on all three "teams." But a year ago I was told here Tulane would beat teams because their coaching staffs had changed (despite the fact that ours had too!) If teams suffer through coaching changes, ND will stink, as they've had a complete turnover of the coaching staff. I don't believe that, I'm just applying logic used to ridicule me for predicting 4 wins for the 2016 Green Wave.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Forget ND's listed depth chart. They played 14 true and RS freshman. They only had 6 returning starters.The center was new. The RG position was beset by injuries. The QB was a sophomore. The RB's were mostly sophomores. The receivers were freshman and sophomores for the most part. The DB's were mostly freshman . So yes they were young. Kelly should have fired Van Gorder the year before and he should have named Kizer the starter from the beginning.

The last time he had so much upheaval on the staff they went to the NC game.

(Note: you have to remember that when reading ND's depth chart they don't list redshirts next to the class as they don't assume the school will give it. )

The backlash you received wasn't b/c of predicting 4 wins. Many here predicted 4 wins. Many also suggested there were factors that could lead us to 6 wins. You shit on that thought process and insisted anyone who thought there was the slightest chance we could win more more were fools. There were in fact good reasons to suggest more wins and the way the season played out proved that. There were several games we could have won and got more.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You're wrong, Winwave. Notre Dame's published depth chart is more accurate than you are, including the fact that DeShone Kiser (the QB) was a Junior, not a Sophomore. He also had almost a full season as a starter last year, his Sophomore year. They may have played 14 RS or true Frosh, but playing versus starting or being on the 2 deep are two different things.

I'm not going to bother re-hashing who had a more accurate view of our team and our conference going into this past season. It played itself out and the results speak for themselves. Instead, I'll wish you and everyone a Happy New Year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Kizer was a RS soph. Like I said you don't know how to read the ND depth chart.

Happy New Year!

On edit:

I was wrong above. Actually they played 14 true freshman and 7 RS freshman for a total of 21 freshman. All 21 were listed on the last depth chart of the regular season for the USC game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Kizer was a RS soph. Like I said you don't know how to read the ND depth chart.

Happy New Year!

On edit:

I was wrong above. Actually they played 14 true freshman and 7 RS freshman for a total of 21 freshman. All 21 were listed on the last depth chart of the regular season for the USC game.
I've forgotten more Notre Dame football than you've seen.

Were you watching when Joe "Tees-man" changed how he pronounced his last name to rhyme with Heisman?

ND was far from a young team in 2016. Like most other programs, they played their RS and true frosh at the end of the season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:Kizer was a RS soph. Like I said you don't know how to read the ND depth chart.

Happy New Year!

On edit:

I've forgotten more Notre Dame football than you've seen.

Were you watching when Joe "Tees-man" changed how he pronounced his last name to rhyme with Heisman?

ND was far from a young team in 2016. Like most other programs, they played their RS and true frosh at the end of the season.
Yes I do remember that name change.You are just wrong here. Those young players played a lot all season long. They had only 7 returning starters. I follow ND as closely as I follow Tulane. BTW, teams don't play true freshman at the end of seasons as they would lose a year of eligibility.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I've followed Notre Dame since I stepped on their campus in the fall of 1966, when my brother was taking a tour. I was 4 years old. He started college there in 1967, I've followed them closer than I've followed any other college since.

Notre Dame started and played RS and true Frosh at WR after Robinson gave up football for concussion reasons and Hunter went down. Other than that, they really didn't play many freshman in meaningful minutes early in the year, but did as the season progressed. That's a factor of both the record and the desire to get them acclimated to the college game. Yes, few teams play Frosh that they've sat all season at years end, that's called giving them a redshirt. But playing your RS and true Frosh later in the year, when they're not eligible for a redshirt, is standard practice.

I know how to read a depth chart as well or better than you. Read the depth charts heading into the season. This was not a young team. Half of the 84 scholarship players were underclassmen, which is not unusual. And trust me, 4-7 in 2017, and probably anything less than 8 wins or worse, gets Brian Kelly fired. He's not well respected by the alumni, which at Notre Dame means a whole lot more than Tulane. That's why he was sniffing around for the HC job at Texas, Oregon and LSU. He knows he's not well liked.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I have followed them since 1965. You made it clear you didn't know how to read their depth chart when you tried to claim Kizer was junior. The opening game depth chart listed 13 freshman.Kelly caught a lot of flack for pointing out how young they were during the season. People might not like to hear it but it was a fact. No doubt he is on the hot seat. He'll probably need to win 10 in the regular season to keep his job.