UCF at UConn This Weekend

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

A big matchup for two teams hoping to get to a bowl game this year.

Both teams have been on roller coaster rides this fall. UCF looked like they were moving to 4-2 a week ago, losing in the final second of the game last week to Temple after leading 25-7. UConn is coming off a tough stretch taking a beating at (the hands of last years Bob Diaco "signature win") Houston Cougars then returning home for a solid defensive win vs. Cincinnati, then traveling to USF where they were handily defeated.

Scott Frost and Bob Diaco are two of the young up and coming coaches in the conference, and Diaco's love of recruiting Florida makes his games against USF and UCF big games. Frost has a team that may end up with the largest improvement in victories in the nation. That's easier to do when the team you took over didn't win a game, but a win here would put them in position to find two more in their remaining schedule to become bowl eligible. Clearly both teams need a win here to be on track for a bowl game, and both teams will be favored when they play Tulane. Tulane's games against these two teams will go a long way to determine if the Green Wave has a shot at a bowl game. Going 0-2 against these two would kill the Wave's postseason chances.

I'm hoping the game in East Hartford two days after Thanksgiving will have a bowl bid on the line for both UConn and Tulane. So I'll root for my daughter's current college, UCF against her prior school at UConn's homecoming. UConn's remaining schedule is easier than UCF's. Go Knights!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V