AAC Bowl Season

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not off to a good start w/losses by USF and Temple. Hopefully the other teams pick it up.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Cincinnati losing 42-0 three mins left to play against San Diego St pitiful.
wave97
Swell

Show Me wrote:Cincinnati losing 42-0 three mins left to play against San Diego St pitiful.
I think there is a high probability for a complete O'fer as a conference.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Thankfully, bowl season is completely irrelevant and the AAC had as good a year as any other conference.
OUG
Riptide

Our #5 team played the C-USA Champ
Our #6 team played the MWC Champ

I'll concede that Temple losing doesn't look good.

But at the end of the day, these bowl games are quirky and don't mean anything. Certainly nobody will remember them a year from now. Quick, without looking it up, what was the AAC's record in last year's games? What was C-USA's record in 2013? How did the Sun Belt teams do last year? The Pac 12?

See, nobody cares. They're just tv events to pass the time during the holidays with the family. You want to get to the bowl game because you want the exposure. And you want to be one of the teams that is regularly in them. But no, nobody is making any evaluations based on the results, otherwise C-USA would have been considered the best G5 conference last offseason.
wave97
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:Thankfully, bowl season is completely irrelevant and the AAC had as good a year as any other conference.
Irrelevant? Really? I think bowl victories/losses are very relevant. The AAC has deserved the losses received so far and should brace for more losses.
We're a young conference, our better teams have just arrived on the scene in the top 30 and I think they got carried away with their own press clippings. Houston is going to lose by a large margin to FSU. Auburn will beat Memphis. Pitt will play a close game with Navy. And Tulsa will get curb stomped by Va. Tech. The best game we have going is UConn vs. Marshall.
OOC regular season games & bowl games are the measurement for inter-conference performance. We did well as a conference during the season & we need to do better in our bowl games.
Bigschtick
Riptide

wave97 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Thankfully, bowl season is completely irrelevant and the AAC had as good a year as any other conference.
Irrelevant? Really? I think bowl victories/losses are very relevant. The AAC has deserved the losses received so far and should brace for more losses.
We're a young conference, our better teams have just arrived on the scene in the top 30 and I think they got carried away with their own press clippings. Houston is going to lose by a large margin to FSU. Auburn will beat Memphis. Pitt will play a close game with Navy. And Tulsa will get curb stomped by Va. Tech. The best game we have going is UConn vs. Marshall.
OOC regular season games & bowl games are the measurement for inter-conference performance. We did well as a conference during the season & we need to do better in our bowl games.

Exactly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes it's important. If we were unbeaten at this point we'd all be pumped up. Yes most will forget but at the end of bowl season the media will post records by conference. It's always good to win outside of conference to gain credibility.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

JJ, this is contrary to anything you've ever posted. Drink too much egg nog? Wins and losses don't matter?

I think someone has hacked JJ's account.
ajcalhoun
Swell

wave97 wrote: Houston is going to lose by a large margin to FSU. Auburn will beat Memphis. Pitt will play a close game with Navy. And Tulsa will get curb stomped by Va. Tech. The best game we have going is UConn vs. Marshall.
If that is true then we, as a conference, truly suck.
I think Houston can stay with FSU for a while.
I think Memphis will beat Auburn.
I don't think Va. Tech could curb-stomp anyone this year.
I don't like UConn vs. Marshall.

But you never know. That's why we play the games.

ETA I like Navy over Pitt.
God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Bigschtick wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Exactly!
It's exactly as important as any other individual OOC game and nothing more. It's a meaningless exhibition. Heck, I've watched exactly 1 bowl game (for obvious reasons) and neither Bowling Green nor GSU had their head coaches on the sidelines!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:
JJ, this is contrary to anything you've ever posted. Drink too much egg nog? Wins and losses don't matter?

It's just another game to be won or lost. The hype around "bowls" is just a weak attempt by 3rd rate sponsors to generate eye balls for their sponsorships.
swampnik
Surge

Is not Bob Toledo calling the "offensive schemes" at San(d) Diego State this year??
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

0-3 as Cincy gets crushed.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

It's just another game to be won or lost. The hype around "bowls" is just a weak attempt by 3rd rate sponsors to generate eye balls for their sponsorships.
And relatively cheap content for ESPN. 40 Bowl games is an absolute joke, but if you accept an invitation to play you have no excuse for not showing up. Human nature is what it is, players will often go into games with the notion that the opponent is not up to par and it scares the living hell out of any staff. When you have stability in a program you can establish a culture that guards against let down losses.
I hope that it is not too long before Tulane & the AAC can maintain continuity in programs that will establish tradition and a winning culture.
Nick Saban reflecting on Georgia Southern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9BRWf9Jws
Ruski
Swell

I think Tulane should focus on getting invited to one of the 40+ bowl games before we start criticizing our AAC brethren. I too have been awfully disappointed with the results thus far but I think that's because we got a huge ego boost from the regular season, building success takes time. If 2 out of Houston, Memphis, Navy, Tulsa win then these early games won't mean much. More important we get some top teams set up for early top-25 votes in 2016.
wave97
Swell

Ruski wrote:I think Tulane should focus on getting invited to one of the 40+ bowl games before we start criticizing our AAC brethren. I too have been awfully disappointed with the results thus far but I think that's because we got a huge ego boost from the regular season, building success takes time. If 2 out of Houston, Memphis, Navy, Tulsa win then these early games won't mean much. More important we get some top teams set up for early top-25 votes in 2016.
Merely stating that winning is a process with staff continuity being a large component. BTW, where will Tom Herman be coaching after next season?
Wave755
Tsunami

swampnik wrote:Is not Bob Toledo calling the "offensive schemes" at San(d) Diego State this year??
Jeff Horton is the OC @ San Diego State. "Buffet" Bob left the program after the 2014 season.
Wave755
Tsunami

Final score SDSU 42, Cinncinati 7. A real humiliation and brubbing for Tommy Tuberville and his Bearcats team. :shakingno:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UCONN adds to the AAC bowl misery and loses to CUSA's Marshall 16-10.
AAC still winless
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

Could finish a disastrous 0-8.

Upcoming games:

Navy v Pitt -- Navy has looked very vulnerable in its last two games

Memphis v Auburn -- this may be AAC's best opportunity not to get swept. Auburn only 6-6. I would have preferred Temple in this one and Memphis against Toledo.

Houston v FSU -- not an impossibility but very tough.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:Could finish a disastrous 0-8.

Upcoming games:

Memphis v Auburn -- this may be AAC's best opportunity not to get swept. Auburn only 6-6. I would have preferred Temple in this one and Memphis against Toledo.

Terrible showing so far. Not what you want to see.
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:Could finish a disastrous 0-8.

Upcoming games:

Terrible showing so far. Not what you want to see.

Yeah, this would have worked out better for us if USF had been paired with VA Tech, Temple been paired with Auburn and Memphis been paired with Toledo. Tulsa was never really that good and was bound to lose any Bowl game they were in, so it would have been better for the AAC that they were paired against WKU instead of USF being in that spot, and Tulsa's offense may have matched-up better against WKU, so we may have stolen that. USF's defense is a better match-up for VA-Tech. Memphis would have beaten Toledo. And Temple matches up better with Auburn than Toledo. We just had some bad match-ups, in my view. We would be at least 2-3 this year if we were match-up this way instead.