Is anyone else concerned about the conference this year?

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I'm actually a little concerned about the strength of the conference this year. Two of the top 3 preseason teams have lost to competition that would be considered to be above average at best (UCF lost to Penn State and Houston lost to UTSA). I suppose that may leave the three best teams in the conference being Cincinnati, East Carolina, and possibly Temple. While I do realize that this is super early in the season, losing to UTSA and Penn State doesn't really draw confidence in the league. Temple's victory was incredible to watch, and I anticipate Cincinnati having some success against a Braxton Miller-less Ohio State. East Carolina could defeat South Carolina, but even if it doesn't, it would not be as big of a deal as losing to UTSA/Penn State.

Any thoughts on this?

Robert1969
Riptide

UCF lost basically on the weakness of their starting quarterback. After they put in Holman they outscored Penn State 21-13 in the last 18 minutes of the game. Now that they know who should start for them, they are going to be much better in their last eleven games. Let's see how UCF does against Mizzou next week before declaring them a disappointment.

Houston looks like a disappointment, but Larry Coker is coaching UTSA and it might just be that UTSA is just much better than we think they are. BYU beating UConn is not a story.

I am not, as of yet, terribly surprised by any outcome other than Temple demolishing Vandy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm actually a little concerned about the strength of the conference this year. Two of the top 3 preseason teams have lost to competition that would be considered to be above average at best (UCF lost to Penn State and Houston lost to UTSA). I suppose that may leave the three best teams in the conference being Cincinnati, East Carolina, and possibly Temple. While I do realize that this is super early in the season, losing to UTSA and Penn State doesn't really draw confidence in the league. Temple's victory was incredible to watch, and I anticipate Cincinnati having some success against a Braxton Miller-less Ohio State. East Carolina could defeat South Carolina, but even if it doesn't, it would not be as big of a deal as losing to UTSA/Penn State.

Any thoughts on this?
+1
I couldn't agree more. I was hoping UCF would be the buster, but now hoping for ECU, Cincy and possibly Temple it doesn't look good.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't think there's any shame in losing to Penn State. This was Penn State's bowl game. They only lost to UCF by a field goal last year, and had a better record playing a much tougher schedule than Tulane did. PSU also ended the year with a victory AT Wisconsin.

Houston laying an egg in what should have been a fired up home field environment is more concerning. Larry Coker can certainly coach, it will be interesting to see if UTSA can win CUSA and keep a weak-scheduled Marshall out of the Access Bowl.

Then again, it's REALLY early. Heck, Cinci doesn't play for two weeks!

ROLL WAVE!

BEAT TECH!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm actually a little concerned about the strength of the conference this year. Two of the top 3 preseason teams have lost to competition that would be considered to be above average at best (UCF lost to Penn State and Houston lost to UTSA). I suppose that may leave the three best teams in the conference being Cincinnati, East Carolina, and possibly Temple. While I do realize that this is super early in the season, losing to UTSA and Penn State doesn't really draw confidence in the league. Temple's victory was incredible to watch, and I anticipate Cincinnati having some success against a Braxton Miller-less Ohio State. East Carolina could defeat South Carolina, but even if it doesn't, it would not be as big of a deal as losing to UTSA/Penn State.

Any thoughts on this?
+1
I couldn't agree more. I was hoping UCF would be the buster, but now hoping for ECU, Cincy and possibly Temple it doesn't look good.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JDTulane
Riptide

Too early to tell. UCF lost hurt but we dont know how good PennSt will be. What really hurt was the loss to UTSA