How Will AAC Fare in Tourney

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:50 am
winwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:46 am
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 pm Doesn't matter how bad they want out. They aren't going anywhere. They won that NC based on the talent from when they were still in the BE. They won't win another one.

They're head and shoulders above any other AAC team for an ACC expansion.
Not. First off as I have posted several times there will be no more expansion. It's done. People need to realize they need to make the best of their current situation because it's permanent. Secondly if somehow there was to be expansion Cincy with a much better football program and a now better basketball program would be ahead of them. UCF could also be ahead of them if they can continue to dominate the conference in football and continue to improve their basketball program. You might want to take off those hometown sunglasses.
You are right, I root for the Huskies, even though there's at least 10 D1 basketball programs closer to my home than Storrs. But you might be very much in the minority that thinks there won't be re-alignment in the early to mid stages of the next decade. If you're right, at least Tulane is in the conference that's closest to being a "Power Conference". Looking at the big picture, however, I think the traditional rivalries, that are still very much alive, include UConn and BC, Syracuse, Va Tech and Pitt. To a lesser extent, UConn and Louisville were rivals. These schools would welcome UConn into the ACC with open arms. ND is stoutly against full membership. Having UConn in the conference would give the ACC a stronghold in the Northeast rather than a scattered 2 schools, they'd have three that reduce the geographic outlaying factor they have now.

UCF would be an interesting addition to the ACC, but traditionalists wouldn't welcome them. And I'm sorry, but UConn basketball will be back sooner rather than later under Danny Hurley.
I don’t see BC wanting UConn back. It would only hurt them adding a potential regional rival having to recruit against them. UConn was in a much better position years ago to get in compared to now. They haven’t been competitive in either major sport for a few years now.

FSU definitely won’t allow UCF in the same conference. And I doubt Louisville would want Cincy in as well because that’s another regional rival fighting to recruit against.

wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:50 am
winwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:46 am
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 pm Doesn't matter how bad they want out. They aren't going anywhere. They won that NC based on the talent from when they were still in the BE. They won't win another one.
They're head and shoulders above any other AAC team for an ACC expansion.
Not. First off as I have posted several times there will be no more expansion. It's done. People need to realize they need to make the best of their current situation because it's permanent. Secondly if somehow there was to be expansion Cincy with a much better football program and a now better basketball program would be ahead of them. UCF could also be ahead of them if they can continue to dominate the conference in football and continue to improve their basketball program. You might want to take off those hometown sunglasses.
You are right, I root for the Huskies, even though there's at least 10 D1 basketball programs closer to my home than Storrs. But you might be very much in the minority that thinks there won't be re-alignment in the early to mid stages of the next decade. If you're right, at least Tulane is in the conference that's closest to being a "Power Conference". Looking at the big picture, however, I think the traditional rivalries, that are still very much alive, include UConn and BC, Syracuse, Va Tech and Pitt. To a lesser extent, UConn and Louisville were rivals. These schools would welcome UConn into the ACC with open arms. ND is stoutly against full membership. Having UConn in the conference would give the ACC a stronghold in the Northeast rather than a scattered 2 schools, they'd have three that reduce the geographic outlaying factor they have now.

UCF would be an interesting addition to the ACC, but traditionalists wouldn't welcome them. And I'm sorry, but UConn basketball will be back sooner rather than later under Danny Hurley.
I hope Dan Hurley succeeds at UConn if nothing else it will be good for the conference. However, this notion that UConn has a history of dominance in basketball I just don't buy. In 1987, I sat in a Quonset hut (that was much smaller than my high school gym), to watch UConn play Georgetown in Storrs CT. There's no doubt that Jim Calhoun was a terrific coach and deserves full credit for putting UConn basketball on the map. However, guys like Denny Crum, Dana Kirk & Guy Lewis had been doing it for decades before Jim Calhoun showed up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:51 pm
I don’t see BC wanting UConn back. It would only hurt them adding a potential regional rival having to recruit against them. UConn was in a much better position years ago to get in compared to now. They haven’t been competitive in either major sport for a few years now.

FSU definitely won’t allow UCF in the same conference. And I doubt Louisville would want Cincy in as well because that’s another regional rival fighting to recruit against.
In the Northeast, they're not going against each other locally recruiting, as both schools recruit nationally in both sports, there's simply not enough talent, particularly in Football, to limit recruiting to the region. It's much more of a factor in the South.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:55 pm
I hope Dan Hurley succeeds at UConn if nothing else it will be good for the conference. However, this notion that UConn has a history of dominance in basketball I just don't buy. In 1987, I sat in a Quonset hut (that was much smaller than my high school gym), to watch UConn play Georgetown in Storrs CT. There's no doubt that Jim Calhoun was a terrific coach and deserves full credit for putting UConn basketball on the map. However, guys like Denny Crum, Dana Kirk & Guy Lewis had been doing it for decades before Jim Calhoun showed up.
What the hell did Dana Kirk ever win? Seriously, to compare Kirk to Calhoun is like comparing Jonathan Banks to Shaun King. As far as Crum, and Lewis are concerned, the only point I'll concede there is that they're older, so what? (Side note: all three had controversies.)

UConn doesn't have a history of dynasties. They were in the NCAA tournament 13 times in 30 years from 1951 to 1979. They did not make the tournament in the 1980's. But they have a better history over the last 30 years than 99% of D1 basketball programs. There's 350 D1 basketball programs, there's maybe 3 or 4 tops that have won more national titles in mens basketball in the last 30 years, as the Huskies have 4, blowing away any other basketball program in the AAC over that time frame.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:58 pm
wave97 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:55 pm
What the hell did Dana Kirk every win? Seriously, to compare Kirk to Calhoun is like comparing Jonathan Banks to Shaun King. As far as Crum, and Lewis are concerned, the only point I'll concede there is that they're older, so what? (Side note: all three had controversies.)

UConn doesn't have a history of dynasties. They were in the NCAA tournament 13 times in 30 years from 1951 to 1979. They did not make the tournament in the 1980's. But they have a better history over the last 30 years than 99% of D1 basketball programs. There's 350 D1 basketball programs, there's maybe 3 or 4 tops that have won more national titles in mens basketball in the last 30 years, as the Huskies have 4, blowing away any other basketball program in the AAC over that time frame.
No one here cares . Go back, and stay away from us !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

UConn belongs in the same bracket as Temple and Cincinnati in the AAC in terms of MBB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... basketball
winwave
Top of the WAVE

UCF loses a heartbreaker to Duke 77-76. Hell of a game.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:33 pm UCF loses a heartbreaker to Duke 77-76. Hell of a game.
As usual, Duke gets all the calls. UCF put up a valiant effort—should have won.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:51 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:33 pm UCF loses a heartbreaker to Duke 77-76. Hell of a game.
R J Barrett fouled on the play they gave Williamson free throws on . I am no fan of UCF but that call was designed to keep Duke in the tourney
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm
R J Barrett fouled on the play they gave Williamson free throws on . I am no fan of UCF but that call was designed to keep Duke in the tourney
By putting a 67% FT shooter on the line in the waning moments of the game? He misses, UCF ball with the lead, probably game over.

Yet another BRILLIANT post by pete. BRILLIANT!
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:31 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm
Unintentional foul . And by the way Williamson did miss .

By putting a 67% FT shooter on the line in the waning moments of the game? He misses, UCF ball with the lead, probably game over.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm R J Barrett fouled on the play they gave Williamson free throws on . I am no fan of UCF but that call was designed to keep Duke in the tourney