Navy - Notre Dame Rivalry

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm posting this in the American Athletic Conference Schools area.

I recently learned that the Navy - Notre Dame rivalry is the second longest uninterrupted rivalries in FBS at 92 consecutive games. While many may suggest ND should drop Navy, the ND old-timers have zero interest in ending the rivalry. The rivalry started before the Great Depression, but it's been continued in large part due to the mutual respect the institutions have with one another that dates to WWII.

During World War II, the student population was down significantly in South Bend. Money was tight and Notre Dame was considering cutting back many academic programs. Navy, which was in need of expanding it's academic facilities came to the rescue. Navy used ND as a satellite campus and the cash Navy paid ND allowed it to keep up the academic programs that were potentially going to be dropped.

That little piece of trivia I thought interesting enough to share.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's why the series will never end. That promise was made by the ND president when all of that happened.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.