UCF GOFUNDME Site to Investigate SEC

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Wave755
Tsunami

A group called KnightsNews.com has started a Go Fund Me site to investigate SEC “elitism” and potential anti-trust violations.

Well, $5,000 might get you a few Freedom of Information Act requests (FOIA), a real antitrust suit would cost about 50 million bucks.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 498441002/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... e-the-sec/
Last edited by Wave755 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:54 am A group called Knights.com has started a Go Fund Me site to investigate SEC “elitism” and potential anti-trust violations.

Well, $5,000 might get you a few Freedom of Information Act requests (FOIA), a real antitrust suit would cost about 50 million bucks.

I am not a Lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but the NCAA is in violation of anti trust, they make all members pay the same fees, require them to sponsor "X' amount of sports, yet not all members are given the same rights and designations
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

LOL

How does one 'investigate' 'elitism'?

LOL

Maybe UCF should investigate its AD and take the hint after twice running the table with little to show for it: Schedule -- and beat -- top-ranked teams.
anEngineer
Riptide

The NCAA is almost certainly in violation of anti-trust laws, but I'm not sure what the alternative is or if it would be better or worse for the non-elite schools. Conferences are probably a necessity to create some sort of order and consistency with scheduling and rivalry. Once you have conferences, it becomes an obvious way for the networks to work out contracts. The lessers in each conference benefit from the value of their elites. TV wants to see conference elites and they get that benefit, not because they are successful teams, but because they are successful programs.

It may actually be to the AACs disadvantage that the conference (for the most part) is very competative top to bottom. Almost anyone can beat anyone else. It gives the perception that no one is really good enough to dominate and be a successful program. UCF has done it recently but time will tell. All the networks really care about is viewership and knowing that 3-4-5 years from now, audiences will still want to watch what they have bought the rights to. Houston is trying to buy that. Once you get past a certain level of spending, I'm not sure that can be bought. For the AAC, the bowl games are beyond critical and this year, they pretty much failed. That's the only way we get the positive exposure we need.

Getting back to the original point, a free-for-all of the networks cherry-picking what individual schools they want to show would be a disaster for all but about 20 schools... and Tulane ain't one of those 20.
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:54 am A group called Knights.com has started a Go Fund Me site to investigate SEC “elitism” and potential anti-trust violations.

I am not a Lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but the NCAA is in violation of anti trust, they make all members pay the same fees, require them to sponsor "X' amount of sports, yet not all members are given the same rights and designations
As much as I'd love to see a smart, tough, lawyer like 755 take this one on pro bono, the likelihood of ever seeing anything meaningful out of such an action is about zilch. Whether we're talking about the court system, state legislatures, or the congress, most of those who'd pass judgment graduated from,law schools run by, you guessed it, a P5 school who benefits from the current structure.

So, as the saying goes, follow the money.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am

whatta ya mean

As much as I'd love to see a smart, tough, lawyer like 755 take this one on pro bono, the likelihood of ever seeing anything meaningful out of such an action is about zilch. Whether we're talking about the court system, state legislatures, or the congress, most of those who'd pass judgment graduated from,law schools run by, you guessed it, a P5 school who benefits from the current structure.

whatta ya mean "755"...I talkin' serious here...Morris Bart !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

'Nut, none other than Emperor Scott Cowen couldn't get the job done against the BCS on antitrust grounds. The G5 collectively has more than sufficient resources for even such an expensive suit. Sadly, the antitrust approach is an execise in futility.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

whatta ya mean

Very true, unlike Morris Bart i have never gotten a perfectly healthy person $750,000 for no injury at all!

And, try getting 750k from a Louisiana jury sometime, multiple cervical & lumber fusions might help!

But, 'Nut, my clients are real plaintiffs, not actors playing one on TV! :lol:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

whatta ya mean

Very true, unlike Morris Bart i have never gotten a perfectly healthy person $750,000 for no injury at all!

And, try getting 750k from a Louisiana jury sometime, multiple cervical & lumber fusions might help!

But, 'Nut, my clients are real plaintiffs, not actors playing one on TV! :lol:
755...ya got me smilin....I know you did not take my Morris Bart comment seriously.... I remember back in the day, when I would head out to "The Park' nite club in metry, I always had my Morris Bart suit on !!!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

What are the real alternatives here?

Hypothetical - Attorneys representing the G5 sue and have the CFP expanded to require the conference champion of all FBS conferences (and exclude Notre Dame by implication). What happens next?

The P5 (and Notre Dame) break off and build their own division (1AA) with onerous requirements in regard to spending - i.e. requiring some absurd expenses that the G5 would not be able to reasonably afford without the expectation of joining a P5 in the near future (or other crazy requirements) - and require any teams that want to join that division to have to be invited by a conference that is already part of that division (i.e. the P5). The latter requirement would prevent programs like UCF or Houston from being independents at that level.

What then?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

The approach that should be taken is for G5 teams to just stop scheduling P5s until the P5s provide access. That would be monumental and could potentially bring real change, as P5s aren't going to schedule 12 P5s in the regular season.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 pm The approach that should be taken is for G5 teams to just stop scheduling P5s until the P5s provide access. That would be monumental and could potentially bring real change, as P5s aren't going to schedule 12 P5s in the regular season.
I agree...the PEE's need the GEE's more than the GEE's need the PEE's....if not all PEE's will be playing The Citadel, William n Mary ( too many Mary's and not enuff Williams, to quote a former Coach) etc...and teh TV people, the one's who control all of this krap, ain't gonna put up with that shit on TV
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 pm The approach that should be taken is for G5 teams to just stop scheduling P5s until the P5s provide access. That would be monumental and could potentially bring real change, as P5s aren't going to schedule 12 P5s in the regular season.
+1, great idea but getting the G5s to do anything is like trying to "herd cats." And, the top G5s are all still angling to join the PEES and fear offending anyone who might exercise a veto for their "elevation." :shakingno:
Wave755
Tsunami

Oh well, as of right now KnightsNews only has $670 for its goal of $5,000. :problem:

]
anEngineer
Riptide

The problem here is that MANY of the Gs are content that they can't compete against the Ps under any scenario. They aren't remotely interested in that. They do like the payouts that the Ps are giving them to play warmup games. It's a huge part of their budget and maybe the only way they can field a program. Why should they ever want to give that up? For what? Of the existing Gs, there are probably 25-30 that could ever compete against the existing Ps. I would put all AAC members in that group with the possible exception of Tulsa (that's a really small school). The rest are satisfied the way it is.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am The NCAA is almost certainly in violation of anti-trust laws, but I'm not sure what the alternative is or if it would be better or worse for the non-elite schools. Conferences are probably a necessity to create some sort of order and consistency with scheduling and rivalry. Once you have conferences, it becomes an obvious way for the networks to work out contracts. The lessers in each conference benefit from the value of their elites. TV wants to see conference elites and they get that benefit, not because they are successful teams, but because they are successful programs.

It may actually be to the AACs disadvantage that the conference (for the most part) is very competative top to bottom. Almost anyone can beat anyone else. It gives the perception that no one is really good enough to dominate and be a successful program. UCF has done it recently but time will tell. All the networks really care about is viewership and knowing that 3-4-5 years from now, audiences will still want to watch what they have bought the rights to. Houston is trying to buy that. Once you get past a certain level of spending, I'm not sure that can be bought. For the AAC, the bowl games are beyond critical and this year, they pretty much failed. That's the only way we get the positive exposure we need.

Getting back to the original point, a free-for-all of the networks cherry-picking what individual schools they want to show would be a disaster for all but about 20 schools... and Tulane ain't one of those 20.
Eventually the Top 20, or at least top two or three teams in each P5 conference, will get the “lions share” of network money, based i on eyeballs and on-field success. The P5 parasites will eventually realize they have more in common with the G5 schools,

In the meantime, the NCAA is powerless to do anything. If the NCAA tries to do anything, the P5s can always tell the NCAA to hit the road. Who, P5 or G5, really need the NCAA?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm
anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am The NCAA is almost certainly in violation of anti-trust laws, but I'm not sure what the alternative is or if it would be better or worse for the non-elite schools. Conferences are probably a necessity to create some sort of order and consistency with scheduling and rivalry. Once you have conferences, it becomes an obvious way for the networks to work out contracts. The lessers in each conference benefit from the value of their elites. TV wants to see conference elites and they get that benefit, not because they are successful teams, but because they are successful programs.

Eventually the Top 20, or at least top two or three teams in each P5 conference, will get the “lions share” of network money, based i on eyeballs and on-field success. The P5 parasites will eventually realize they have more in common with the G5 schools,

In the meantime, the NCAA is powerless to do anything. If the NCAA tries to do anything, the P5s can always tell the NCAA to hit the road. Who, P5 or G5, really need the NCAA?
True, if the NCAA leans on them, then they will[ formally create their own football super division. Only the Congress can do something about this P5-G5 mess, and we all know that won't happen. So, more of the same for the foreseeable future. Thanks to Cowen, unlike TCU, we were "left at the station" during the formation of the BCS,and then its successor, the PEE 5s, and must for now accept our fate.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:41 pm

True, if the NCAA leans on them, then they will[ formally create their own football super division. Only the Congress can do something about this P5-G5 mess, and we all know that won't happen. So, more of the same for the foreseeable future. Thanks to Cowen, unlike TCU, we were "left at the station" during the formation of the BCS,and then its successor, the PEE 5s, and must for now accept our fate.
gulp....accept our fate....do I have a choice of a Cigar, Cigarette or Vapor, before the blindfold
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:41 pm

gulp....accept our fate....do I have a choice of a Cigar, Cigarette or Vapor, before the blindfold
Unless you have a time machine to undo the CowDick era for Tulane athletics? Perhaps, I should have said instead, accept our "predicament" for now.
RobertM320
Green Wave

But then, suppose the NCAA threatens to pull the plug on their other sports programs? Try telling LSU baseball players they can't win a national championship because their baseball program isn't part of the NCAA? Or Duke's basketball team? March Madness is an NCAA event, isn't it? Do the P5s really want to have to run their own championships in every sport? And what about Title IX issues? Would those still apply? P5 might be opening a Pandora's box they don't want to open, just for football.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:50 pm But then, suppose the NCAA threatens to pull the plug on their other sports programs? Try telling LSU baseball players they can't win a national championship because their baseball program isn't part of the NCAA? Or Duke's basketball team? March Madness is an NCAA event, isn't it? Do the P5s really want to have to run their own championships in every sport? And what about Title IX issues? Would those still apply? P5 might be opening a Pandora's box they don't want to open, just for football.
Right now the Pees have the best of all worlds, all the money from football while enjoying as well March Madness for basketball where the little guys are their true equals and indispensable for the tournament.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:15 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:50 pm But then, suppose the NCAA threatens to pull the plug on their other sports programs? Try telling LSU baseball players they can't win a national championship because their baseball program isn't part of the NCAA? Or Duke's basketball team? March Madness is an NCAA event, isn't it? Do the P5s really want to have to run their own championships in every sport? And what about Title IX issues? Would those still apply? P5 might be opening a Pandora's box they don't want to open, just for football.
Right now the Pees have the best of all worlds, all the money from football while enjoying as well March Madness for basketball where the little guys are their true equals and indispensable for the tournament.
Exactly. So if they threaten to leave, you threaten to not allow their other programs to compete for NCAA sanctioned titles. There are angles that can be used to put pressure on them. Also, we're looking at Alabama-Clemson IV tonight. How many more of these before schools like Ole Miss, Miss St, Missouri, Duke, Syracuse, etc, realize they're actually participating in a mini-version of the P5/G5 issue? The more Ala and Clemson continue to reach the CFP CG, the more all the best talent in the country will want to play for them. And unlike basketball, where one great player can carry a team, football's not like that. When the non-elite P5s start realizing they basically have no more chance for a NC than we do, will they step up and do something?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:53 pm
Exactly. So if they threaten to leave, you threaten to not allow their other programs to compete for NCAA sanctioned titles. There are angles that can be used to put pressure on them. Also, we're looking at Alabama-Clemson IV tonight. How many more of these before schools like Ole Miss, Miss St, Missouri, Duke, Syracuse, etc, realize they're actually participating in a mini-version of the P5/G5 issue? The more Ala and Clemson continue to reach the CFP CG, the more all the best talent in the country will want to play for them. And unlike basketball, where one great player can carry a team, football's not like that. When the non-elite P5s start realizing they basically have no more chance for a NC than we do, will they step up and do something?
Looks like it will continue for 2019 per CFN's first poll
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/01 ... in-january

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/01 ... vs-clemson
cajunfanatico
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 pm
The problem here is that MANY of the Gs are content that they can't compete against the Ps under any scenario. They aren't remotely interested in that. They do like the payouts that the Ps are giving them to play warmup games. It's a huge part of their budget and maybe the only way they can field a program. Why should they ever want to give that up? For what? Of the existing Gs, there are probably 25-30 that could ever compete against the existing Ps. I would put all AAC members in that group with the possible exception of Tulsa (that's a really small school). The rest are satisfied the way it is.
You and Aberzombie1892 are owning this thread!
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:53 pm
Robert, I agree with most of your thoughts on this subject except the comments about Bama and Clemson.

Did those two do anything illegal or unethical to be where they are tonight? Does anyone believe either of those two teams don't deserve to be there?

Bama, in particular, has just been in a class all of its own these past few years. That's all on coaching and recruiting in my estimation.