Dana H now at UH

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:37 pm The SI take
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... t-virginia
Damn fine article.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
cajunfanatico
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:55 am :shock: :shock: :shock:

For a program with sky-high expectations, Houston is paying up for major successes and not so much for others. Holgorsen would make $100,000 for leading Houston to an American championship and $350,000 for a national title. A CFP semifinal appearance is worth $200,000, and a New Year’s Six game is worth $75,000. Simply winning the American West or a non-New Year’s Six bowl game? Just $10,000.

Much like his predecessor Major Applewhite, Holgorsen agreed to a major buyout in order to become Houston’s head coach. He would owe $12.9 million if he took another job this calendar year, $9.1 million in 2020, $7.1 million in 2021, $2.5 million in 2022 and $1 million in 2023.

If fired without cause, Holgorsen would net 100 percent of his first three years ($11.5 million) and 60 percent of his final two ($8.5 million). But should he lead the Coogs to an American championship and a New Year’s Six game, the final two years would become fully guaranteed as well.

http://footballscoop.com/news/heres-dan ... s-houston/
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wow! That's a heck of a commitment by the U of H!

Is the $4.5 million pool for assistants per year?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 am Wow! That's a heck of a commitment by the U of H!

I am proud of Houston’s commitment to winning and what it says about the aac (even if they are also positioning themselves to try and get a bid to a P5). It will light a fire under the rest of the conference and start an arms race and change the narrative about our coaches always being poached. Cinci/Memphis/USF/UCF and anyone else with bigger aspirations will all have to follow suit. I wonder what Temples level of commitment is at this point. They’re in a huge market and have had recent success and seem to be on a program on the way up. Uconn is such a frustrating disgrace.
anEngineer
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:04 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 am Wow! That's a heck of a commitment by the U of H!

I am proud of Houston’s commitment to winning and what it says about the aac (even if they are also positioning themselves to try and get a bid to a P5). It will light a fire under the rest of the conference and start an arms race and change the narrative about our coaches always being poached. Cinci/Memphis/USF/UCF and anyone else with bigger aspirations will all have to follow suit. I wonder what Temples level of commitment is at this point. They’re in a huge market and have had recent success and seem to be on a program on the way up. Uconn is such a frustrating disgrace.
Rest assured that most of this money is not coming directly from the university. As we all know, there is a LOT of money in Houston and a lot of people willing to fund these efforts. The rest of the AAC schools could want to do it, but it's just not possible. It still doesn't guarentee winning 10-11 games a year, which is what Houston thinks they can buy. There are a lot of P5's that spend that much but can't win that many. Regardless, if the P5s don't put you on the schedule, you never get the SOS and never get any higher than UCF or Boise St. It's a rigged system.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:40 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Rest assured that most of this money is not coming directly from the university. As we all know, there is a LOT of money in Houston and a lot of people willing to fund these efforts. The rest of the AAC schools could want to do it, but it's just not possible. It still doesn't guarentee winning 10-11 games a year, which is what Houston thinks they can buy. There are a lot of P5's that spend that much but can't win that many. Regardless, if the P5s don't put you on the schedule, you never get the SOS and never get any higher than UCF or Boise St. It's a rigged system.
You are correct that some money is coming from the rockets owner who is a big UH booster. . . We’ll see if other billionaires or big boosters want to step up at other programs. . . We aren’t without those boosters (or bigger) we just have to continue our momentum to reinvigorate them and inspire their confidence.

Edit- interesting article that explains it all
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... orsen-hire
cajunfanatico
Swell

Yes, $4.5 million pool for assistants per year.

I recall when our AD hired Napier a little over a year ago, he was given an assistants pool of $2 million per year which, at the time, was stated to be near the top of the G5's. Houston's number obviously blows that out of the water.

Houston has fired a shot across the bow of all G5 programs and given notice that the arm's race has begun. Of course, I guess it'd be more accurate to say they're not really looking at the G5's, but instead sending notice of their intentions to the P5's.

I applaud them.
Highwave
Low Tide

$4.5M is over double their current assistant salary pool. Also, almost double the current highest salary pool in the AAC (Memphis).

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant

Also, at the risk of getting into yet another tit for tat re ULL, worth noting that the Cajuns’ salary pool at $1.7M looks to be middle of the pack in the G5, and behind the entire AAC.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Highwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 pm $4.5M is over double their current assistant salary pool. Also, almost double the current highest salary pool in the AAC (Memphis).

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant

Also, at the risk of getting into yet another tit for tat re ULL, worth noting that the Cajuns’ salary pool at $1.7M looks to be middle of the pack in the G5, and behind the entire AAC.
No tit for tat. Just stating what I recalled, and it appears my memory was correct. At $2MM, I dispute your contention that our assistant salary pool is middle of the pack G5.
Maggard proudly details how Louisiana’s non-football coaching staff has grown by about 75%: two strength coaches, a handful of strength interns, three nutrionists and more than a dozen others who juggle duties in multiple departments, from recruiting to quality control. The athletic department’s snack budget went from zero to $1.5 million. The football program’s assistant coach salary pool increased by 40% to $2 million, and the school began to pay the full cost of attendance for athletes, something the NCAA permitted for the first time in 2015.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... nick-saban
How important was it to increase the pool for assistant coach salaries up to $2 million?

It changes the entire dynamic. As I researched the job, you do some digging and you find out what the salary pool is, and then you start thinking about what type of staff can you have with that amount of money, and how am I going to break that up. And then all of a sudden, the game is drastically changed. Now you open yourself up to a whole different group of people.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sp ... 0e704.html
His assistant pay pool will be $2 million according to Yahoo’s Pat Forde. The largest assistant salary pool in the Sun Belt this season was Arkansas State at $1.24 million.

Per source, an Eye-opening detail in the Napier-to-Louisiana deal: a $2 million salary pool for assistant coaches. Huge for a G5 school

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-b ... ching-job/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

But how much did it help the UL-L Cajuns on 12/15/18? Seriously, enough talk about the UL-L assistants salary pool. Most of us couldn't care less.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:01 pm But how much did it help the UL-L Cajuns on 12/15/18? Seriously, enough talk about the UL-L assistants salary pool. Most of us couldn't care less.
Less than a year into their jobs with a divisional title, a championship game and a bowl appearance under their belts. I'd say they got off to a pretty decent start. ;)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

cajunfanatico wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:12 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:01 pm But how much did it help the UL-L Cajuns on 12/15/18? Seriously, enough talk about the UL-L assistants salary pool. Most of us couldn't care less.
Less than a year into their jobs with a divisional title, a championship game and a bowl appearance under their belts. I'd say they got off to a pretty decent start. ;)
Dominated by Tulane ? Sounds about right for how your staff will measure success. The natural order of things has been restablished, I’m glad ULL fans and coaches are happy with being 3rd/4th in the state.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:07 am
Dominated by Tulane ? Sounds about right for how your staff will measure success. The natural order of things has been restablished, I’m glad ULL fans and coaches are happy with being 3rd/4th in the state.
Bicoastalwave, the ULALA "key" to "success" ;) is as follows:

Jeff Sagarin ranks the Mighty ‘Belt West Division as follows:

1) Ark. St. 83;
2) ULALA 111;
3) UL-M 118;
4) USA 162;
5) Texas St. 170.

So, if in 2019 ULALA again beats Ark. St. by a field goal, then ULALA is back in the Mighty ‘Belt Championship game losing once more to either Appy. St. or Troy. :clap:

Any questions? :)

And, I know, I know, I shouldn't feed the troll!
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:07 pm
Bicoastalwave, the ULALA "key" to "success" ;) is as follows:

Jeff Sagarin ranks the Mighty ‘Belt West Division as follows:

1) Ark. St. 83;
2) ULALA 111;
3) UL-M 118;
4) USA 162;
5) Texas St. 170.

So, if in 2019 ULALA again beats Ark. St. by a field goal, then ULALA is back in the Mighty ‘Belt Championship game losing once more to either Appy. St. or Troy. :clap:

Any questions? :)
:D

Well put
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Any questions? :) [/i]

Well put
Maybe the post by 755 is encrypted, and I'm too far North to get it. It's Greek to me.

Better yet, LET THIS THREAD DIE. It's gotten WAY WAY WAY too far into UL-L's football budget, schedule and success, which we can all go back to sleep on.

Who cares about UL-L in THIS forum?

Let it die!
Last edited by DfromCT on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Glad we could be your Super Bowl Bicoastal, and no, we're not going to be satisfied being 3rd or 4th in the state. You can count on that.

I certainly never expected that Cajun team to sniff a bowl game much less a divisional title in Year One. The defense they took over was so depleted they moved guys from the offense to play the defensive side of the ball. And since the coaching staff came in late, they opted to sign no players in last year's December early signing period because they're serious about signing what they see as the right talent for the system. Having said all that, waiting patiently for the coaching staff to finally become bowl-eligible at the very end of year 3 would never have been acceptable. We expect more of the program.

It's not going to be a one year fix by any means, though I can assure you that Cajun fans will be extremely disappointed if we don't exceed this past year's accomplishments.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:20 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Any questions? :) [/i]

Well put
Maybe the post by 755 is encrypted, and I'm too far North to get it. It's Greek to me.

Better yet, LET THIS THREAD DIE. It's gotten WAY WAY WAY too far into UL-L's football budget, schedule and success, which we can all go back to sleep on.

Who cares about UL-L in THIS forum?

Let it die!
Wave755 said that according to Sagarin, App State finished at 36, Troy, at 71, Tulane at 86, and Arkansas State at 87. I guess he just wanted to give you some perspective.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 pm

I certainly never expected that Cajun team to sniff a bowl game much less a divisional title in Year One.
Cajun Troll, are you really sure you want to “sniff” 💩💩💩ULALA’s Mighty ‘Belt West Division title for 2018? :lol:
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:55 pm

I certainly never expected that Cajun team to sniff a bowl game much less a divisional title in Year One.
Cajun Troll, are you really sure you want to “sniff” 💩💩💩ULALA’s Mighty ‘Belt West Division title for 2018? :lol:
How did yours smell?
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:55 pm

ULALA 💩💩💩& the Might ‘Belt West!!! 😂😂😂
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:52 pm Cajun Troll, are you really sure you want to “sniff” 💩💩💩ULALA’s Mighty ‘Belt West Division title for 2018? :lol:
ULALA 💩💩💩& the Might ‘Belt West!!! 😂😂😂
[/quote]

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt y'all's Mensa meeting.
God Bless Everyone!
anEngineer
Riptide

This thread seems to have outlived its usefulness.