UH fires the Major

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
anEngineer
Riptide

greenphantom wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:59 pm I don’t know. I’m not a big fan of the constant hiring and firing of coaches. Usually not a winning formula in the long run. If you commit to hiring a coach, they deserve 3-4 years unless it’s a complete disaster.
I agree. When you consider that most linemen are redshirted, three years is on the short end to make a real judgement. With Houston in particular, they lose their QB to injury and have Oliver essentially quit on them. Maybe something so silly as that sideline jacket dispute caused some players to side with Oliver against Applewhite and quit on him.

On the other hand, who does Houston think they are? Spending other people's money on facilities doesn't automatically get you a 10 - 11 win program. You're better off staying the course with a steady program and building reliable consistency.

greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:21 pm
greenphantom wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:59 pm I don’t know. I’m not a big fan of the constant hiring and firing of coaches. Usually not a winning formula in the long run. If you commit to hiring a coach, they deserve 3-4 years unless it’s a complete disaster.
Houston running its program like a Pee 6. They are at least trying by a spending big money and expecting Pee 6 results. Herman left so you can’t blame them for that.
I hear ya but 2 years really isn’t enough to give a fair judgement. It reminds me of when ECU wasn’t happy with 7-8 wins under Ruffin McNeil and they’ve been a disaster since.
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenphantom wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:44 pm
Houston running its program like a Pee 6. They are at least trying by a spending big money and expecting Pee 6 results. Herman left so you can’t blame them for that.
I hear ya but 2 years really isn’t enough to give a fair judgement. It reminds me of when ECU wasn’t happy with 7-8 wins under Ruffin McNeil and they’ve been a disaster since.
Major was a bad hire from the beginning. I’ll be shocked if they don’t get a better coach. He just lost 70-14 to Army. Almost every time I’ve watched UH play I’ve thought that they should have a better coach.
anEngineer
Riptide

I agree. When you consider that most linemen are redshirted, three years is on the short end to make a real judgement. With Houston in particular, they lose their QB to injury and have Oliver essentially quit on them. Maybe something so silly as that sideline jacket dispute caused some players to side with Oliver against Applewhite and quit on him.

On the other hand, who does Houston think they are? Spending other people's money on facilities doesn't automatically get you a 10 - 11 win program. Most P5s never get there. You're better off staying the course with a steady program and building reliable consistency.
greenphantom
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 pm
Major was a bad hire from the beginning. I’ll be shocked if they don’t get a better coach. He just lost 70-14 to Army. Almost every time I’ve watched UH play I’ve thought that they should have a better coach.
That makes no sense. if he was a bad hire from the beginning, then the people who hired him should be out of a job as well.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Looks like major publications are saying the deal will be announced tmrw between Dana & Houston- 5 years for $20m making him the highest paid G5 Coach. Good for Houston to poach a P5 coach, it helps change the narrative that the AAC is the little sisters of the poor. Obviously this is posturing for a run at a P5 conference spot but hey thats exactly what they should be doing.
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenphantom wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:34 pm
That makes no sense. if he was a bad hire from the beginning, then the people who hired him should be out of a job as well.
You make no sense. Presumably, the people that hired him also hit a homerun last time when they hired Tom Herman. They also hit a homerun hiring Kelvin Sampson. The baseball program has been pretty good too. So you want to fire them over 1 bad hire. No offense, but you don’t really know what you’re talking about. If you paid close attention to Major’s time at Houston and prior, he’s mediocre. For the Houston administration to admit that they made a mistake as soon as possible is not only smart but admirable. It’s something Tulane has almost never done. And then for them to poach a good, proven head coach from a Big 12 school is even better, you don’t get fired for making smart moves like that.
Ruski
Swell

Applewhite is Houston's Scelfo. Glad Houston's Renu Khator has the balls that Cowen doesn't. We need Houston, UCF, UCONN, Temple, USF to continue to grow as flagships if we're ever to close to the Big12/Pac in terms of stature.
Bearwave
High Tide

Looks like it’s Holgerson to Houston. Good article on why.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... t-virginia
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:15 am Looks like it’s Holgerson to Houston. Good article on why.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... t-virginia
damn happy for UH and the AAC...hell of a good way to start the new year
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

Ruski wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:59 am We need Houston, UCF, UCONN, Temple, USF to continue to grow as flagships if we're ever to close to the Big12/Pac in terms of stature.
I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part that you left out Tulane. ;)
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Although we're not performing like a P5 conference this year in football, the AAC is certainly blessed with many good football coaches, and will continue to be the feeding grounds for P5 programs.

UCF beating Ellis Hugh today would be huge!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:55 am Looks like major publications are saying the deal will be announced tmrw between Dana & Houston- 5 years for $20m making him the highest paid G5 Coach. Good for Houston to poach a P5 coach, it helps change the narrative that the AAC is the little sisters of the poor. Obviously this is posturing for a run at a P5 conference spot but hey thats exactly what they should be doing.
That’s why Thamel wrote the Yahoo Sports article—the gall of G5 school to poach a P5 coach😱😱. It conotates a world where cats are chasing dogs.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:55 am Looks like major publications are saying the deal will be announced tmrw between Dana & Houston- 5 years for $20m making him the highest paid G5 Coach. Good for Houston to poach a P5 coach, it helps change the narrative that the AAC is the little sisters of the poor. Obviously this is posturing for a run at a P5 conference spot but hey thats exactly what they should be doing.
That’s why Thamel wrote the Yahoo Sports article—the gall of G5 school to poach a P5 coach😱😱. It conotates a world where cats are chasing dogs.
UH has just "called out' the rest of the AAC and ALL G5 schools.....that said, there is more to the Major's firing than "on field performance and results".... the Oliver krap over the last few weeks of the season and several other off field incidents within the "locker room" doomed Major... he did not have the Mackster making phone calls to good ole boy Tillman to save his ass
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:00 pm

On the other hand, who does Houston think they are? Spending other people's money on facilities doesn't automatically get you a 10 - 11 win program. Most P5s never get there. You're better off staying the course with a steady program and building reliable consistency.
Completely agree with Ed Oliver's decision to not participate in the final games of the season. Ed Oliver could have played in the NFL out of High School. Ed Oliver plays a position with an NFL injury rate of over 200% per year (measured by torn ligament/tendons & broken bones). Ed Oliver is subject to an arbitrary NFL ruling that ensures the NCAA continues to be their sole development league. Ed Oliver was one obscure Navy offensive guard away from having all of his future earnings erased.
Major Applewhite couldn't attract a quality staff to save his life,
Ed Oliver made the right decision.
phpBB [video]
Last edited by wave97 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

cajunfanatico wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:21 am
Ruski wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:59 am We need Houston, UCF, UCONN, Temple, USF to continue to grow as flagships if we're ever to close to the Big12/Pac in terms of stature.
You’re still here ?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:23 am
greenphantom wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:34 pm
You make no sense. Presumably, the people that hired him also hit a homerun last time when they hired Tom Herman. They also hit a homerun hiring Kelvin Sampson. The baseball program has been pretty good too. So you want to fire them over 1 bad hire. No offense, but you don’t really know what you’re talking about. If you paid close attention to Major’s time at Houston and prior, he’s mediocre. For the Houston administration to admit that they made a mistake as soon as possible is not only smart but admirable. It’s something Tulane has almost never done. And then for them to poach a good, proven head coach from a Big 12 school is even better, you don’t get fired for making smart moves like that.
Fritz knew he made a mistake and pulled the plug on a decade plus working with ruse . . . So that’s something. Now if we could hire a Steve Alford type for basketball . . .
cajunfanatico
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 am
cajunfanatico wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:21 am
You’re still here ?
Yes, and I was complimenting Tulane. Obviously, far more goes into making candidate X, Y, or Z attractive to the Big 12/Pac than mere athletics and I'd suggest Tulane is the class of the group you mentioned.

Of course, never let the mere sight of the word cajun get in the way of a good insult.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican