UCF holds on to defeat Memphis 31-30

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
GreenLantern
Riptide

Memphis leading #10 UCF 3o-17 at the half. Henderson (who we held to -5 yards rushing after his first run for a TD) has 170+ yards in the first half. Memphis is tough at home. Glad we played them at our house.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:07 pm Memphis leading #10 UCF 3o-17 at the half. Henderson (who we held to -5 yards rushing after his first run for a TD) has 170+ yards in the first half. Memphis is tough at home. Glad we played them at our house.
Yes. Lucky we played Memphis in NOLA. They had a 12 game home winning streak going into today.
I wasn’t at all impressed with UCF. Our league is really bad this year. UCF held on to win 31-30. Memphis ran some dumb plays at the end. Stayed in bounds and ran the clock out when they were in FG range with a chance to win it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

for the good of the conference we all better hope UCF, USF and Cincy stay undefeated as long as possible, especially UCF since they are the highest rated with hope of a new years bowl bid..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:45 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:07 pm Memphis leading #10 UCF 3o-17 at the half. Henderson (who we held to -5 yards rushing after his first run for a TD) has 170+ yards in the first half. Memphis is tough at home. Glad we played them at our house.
Yes. Lucky we played Memphis in NOLA. They had a 12 game home winning streak going into today.
I wasn’t at all impressed with UCF. Our league is really bad this year. UCF held on to win 31-30. Memphis ran some dumb plays at the end. Stayed in bounds and ran the clock out when they were in FG range with a chance to win it.
How do you "hold on" to win when you're down two TD's at halftime? Sorry, I didn't see the game, but knowing they were down big at the half, I have to hand it to UCF for coming back and showing they are a program that knows how to win. Something Tulane hasn't learned.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:07 am
Ok. I meant the last drive by Memphis. UCF held on at the end.

How do you "hold on" to win when you're down two TD's at halftime? Sorry, I didn't see the game, but knowing they were down big at the half, I have to hand it to UCF for coming back and showing they are a program that knows how to win. Something Tulane hasn't learned.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:08 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:07 am
Ok. I meant the last drive by Memphis. UCF held on at the end.

?????
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:07 am How do you "hold on" to win when you're down two TD's at halftime?
Actually, it was a nail-biter of a finish. Memphis probably should have won except for their boneheaded mistakes. With UCF leading 31-30 and 6+ minutes left to play, Memphis had the ball on the UCF 32 for a critical 3rd down play. Darrell Henderson (led the NCAA in rushing coming into the Tulane game) took the handoff, made some great moves and ran it into the end zone for the go ahead score. Oops....offensive holding....bring it back.

Then after punting to UCF, Memphis made a great defensive stand and held them 4 and out. UCF got off a great punt to the Memphis 15. Memphis completed a couple of big time passes and with 38 seconds to play, drove to the UCF 35. It looked as though Memphis would at least have a field goal attempt to win. Oops...Memphis offsides. Oops again...Memphis completed a pass and the receiver didn't get out of bounds. End of game.

UCF held on to win by the thinnest of margins. Henderson ran for 199 yards and looked like an All American. It speaks well for our defense that we held him to -5 yards rushing except for one play.
Ruski
Swell

The ability to win on the road defines college football.

This is why Memphis is a decent team and UCF is a great team.

P.S. UCF beat Pitt by 31, Notre Dame eked out a 5 point win. Texas barely beat a bad Baylor team (and they barely beat Tulsa, beat Maryland by fewer points than Temple did). Oklahoma was on a bye. All 3 still jumped UCF in the polls. :? :roll: :evil:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:09 am The ability to win on the road defines college football.

This is why Memphis is a decent team and UCF is a great team.

P.S. UCF beat Pitt by 31, Notre Dame eked out a 5 point win. Texas barely beat a bad Baylor team (and they barely beat Tulsa, beat Maryland by fewer points than Temple did). Oklahoma was on a bye. All 3 still jumped UCF in the polls. :? :roll: :evil:
P5 bias.
Ex LSU beat then ranked Miami and Auburn. Both now out of the Top 25. Both started the season highly overrated but LSU gets credit for beating them when they were Top 10. UCF has won 19 straight and gets no credit because of the league they’ve done it in. It’s the life of G5’s. Not going to ever change.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The only good news is USF and Cinci both jumped up the rankings and even Houston is getting some votes.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Sports Illustrated picks Memphis RB Darrell Henderson as 1st string All-American. Discounting the first offensive play of the game when Henderson scampered for a TD, our defense held him to -5 yards rushing. Henderson was the only AAC selection for first string All-American.
RB: Darrell Henderson, Memphis, Jr.

Henderson’s ridiculous numbers speak for themselves: 1,133 rushing yards, 10.3 yards per carry, 15 total touchdowns. He has run for 174 yards or more in five of Memphis's seven games, most recently dropping 199 against UCF in the Tigers' near-upset. Henderson has been the most productive running back in the country, outpacing the next names down the leaderboard by much more than the quality of Memphis opponents' defenses can't be the sole explanation.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 am Sports Illustrated picks Memphis RB Darrell Henderson as 1st string All-American. Discounting the first offensive play of the game when Henderson scampered for a TD, our defense held him to -5 yards rushing. Henderson was the only AAC selection for first string All-American.

Factoring in the 5 yards he lost, he ran for a net of 51. Still very impressive, PLUS 4 yards on the 6 carries after his 47 yard TD. Great job by the D that game. Memphis was limited to 277 total offense, and had owned us for this century.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/boxscore.as ... h=football