Memphis replaces Tubby Smith with Penny Hardaway

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Ruski
Swell

Tubby has won 19 regular season games in his first two years. Not good enough for the Tiger faithful. They're gonna have to pay him 9.75 million buyout!

Houston, Memphis, UCF are very serious about putting out top25 programs in football AND basketball.

Is Tulane out of its league in the AAC?? Time to get SERIOUS.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... y-hardaway

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:Tubby has won 19 regular season games in his first two years. Not good enough for the Tiger faithful. They're gonna have to pay him 9.75 million buyout!

Houston, Memphis, UCF are very serious about putting out top25 programs in football AND basketball.

Ok, let me understand this fully. Memphis is going to fire Tubby Smith, pay close to $10 million for him to leave, to hire an alumnus that has never coached at the College level, and said coach is going to lure a 77 year old legendary HC out of retirement to be his assistant. Lets not even mention the fact that the legendary coach left the NCAA game under a very dark cloud.

I'm not saying this won't happen. I'm saying if it does, it's another indicator of how ridiculous the "Student-Athlete" aspect of NCAA basketball has become. Memphis would only be doing this for recruiting purposes, and the recruits with ties to Hardaway are probably "one-and-done" recruits, which Smith has been outspokenly against.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Ruski wrote:Tubby has won 19 regular season games in his first two years. Not good enough for the Tiger faithful. They're gonna have to pay him 9.75 million buyout!

Ok, let me understand this fully. Memphis is going to fire Tubby Smith, pay close to $10 million for him to leave, to hire an alumnus that has never coached at the College level, and said coach is going to lure a 77 year old legendary HC out of retirement to be his assistant. Lets not even mention the fact that the legendary coach left the NCAA game under a very dark cloud.

I'm not saying this won't happen. I'm saying if it does, it's another indicator of how ridiculous the "Student-Athlete" aspect of NCAA basketball has become. Memphis would only be doing this for recruiting purposes, and the recruits with ties to Hardaway are probably "one-and-done" recruits, which Smith has been outspokenly against.
I really think that Memphis sees that at one point they were neck and neck with Louisville, Memphis stayed relatively clean and Louisville became Louisville. Memphis doesn't want to get left behind in the final round of conference realignment that's coming. Better to win by any means now and become an author of history rather than become forgotten.

Sadly I think Tulane is trending towards the abyss.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If they fire Tubby and pay him $9.75 million they better make sure not to hire the wrong guy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and hiring slim Penny Hardeway
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:and hiring slim Penny Hardeway
This will be merged into another thread from earlier this week, I hope.

The Tigers played well in the AAC Tournament, though I don't know what happened in the second half of the semis. I saw the first, and they dominated Cinci, but lost by I think the same margin they were up by at halftime. I had to leave to be with my boys (played Mario Cart!) and didn't get to see the second half. Saw a lot of a great Houston vs Wichita matchup in the other Semi.

I would love for Dunleavy to hire Tubby as Associate Head Coach. (You all know what I'm really thinking!) Tubby Smith is a damned good coach.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Penny agrees and takes the job.
https://twitter.com/MarcusGronauer/stat ... 94272?s=20
That was a done deal before they fired Tubby.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Penny gets 3 game suspension for cheating
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... d/37893179
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

Prop48 school with solid athletics.
anEngineer
Riptide

With Hardaway, it can never be clear if he intentionally violated the rules or if he just had no idea what he was doing. He is a legendary name but a below average coach. There is every reason to think he is also an oblivious administrator.
Ruski
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:51 am With Hardaway, it can never be clear if he intentionally violated the rules or if he just had no idea what he was doing. He is a legendary name but a below average coach. There is every reason to think he is also an oblivious administrator.
Lol. Memphis has steadily gone from NIT -> NIT Champs -> regular March Madness participant under his watch. He's only entering his 6th year of coaching and already won 111 games. He will only get better.
TURVS71
Swell

OMG A 3 game suspension---- :D :D :D :D :D
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
anEngineer
Riptide

Ruski wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:35 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:51 am With Hardaway, it can never be clear if he intentionally violated the rules or if he just had no idea what he was doing. He is a legendary name but a below average coach. There is every reason to think he is also an oblivious administrator.
Lol. Memphis has steadily gone from NIT -> NIT Champs -> regular March Madness participant under his watch. He's only entering his 6th year of coaching and already won 111 games. He will only get better.
Is that all you know is "LOL"? The problem is that he has Elite Eight talent every year and never gets there. A couple of years ago, he had to bring in 110-year-old Larry Brown to coach the team because he hadn't a clue. He recruits on his name to get Prop 48 kids, but he can't coach. Ask Memphis supporters if they are happy with him.
Dave breslin
Swell

NCAA—No Clue At All. Three games for being stupid or cheating? Look at LSU—after years of investigation they get to say they didn’t win a game😳😁?!? It’s kind of like telling a 90 year old rapist that he didn’t have sex in his 50s and 60s. No wonder college sports is NOT what it should be.