How Will AAC Fare in Tourney

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
nawlinspete
Riptide

Any surprise runs by AAC teams ??

Any sleeper among the 68 ?

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Cincy just went down.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Houston & UCF are our last two hopes. I could see Houston making a final four run and UCF could win some games.

I root for the conference but i despise the fans of Houston/UCF/Cinci/Memphis who all believe they are SEC-esque powerhouse programs. Uconn is probably the worst/most humorous. Their fans blame the aac for their futility. . . when they still recruit at a super high level in basketball and just choke constantly from awful coaching. I don't think the big east would help with that. The AAC is now their gravy train.

For revenge I really want us to drub UCF, Houston or Memphis this year in football and do the same in basketball in the next couple years.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:21 pm Houston & UCF are our last two hopes. I could see Houston making a final four run and UCF could win some games.

I root for the conference but i despise the fans of Houston/UCF/Cinci/Memphis who all believe they are SEC-esque powerhouse programs. Uconn is probably the worst/most humorous. Their fans blame the aac for their futility. . . when they still recruit at a super high level in basketball and just choke constantly from awful coaching. I don't think the big east would help with that. The AAC is now their gravy train.

For revenge I really want us to drub UCF, Houston or Memphis this year in football and do the same in basketball in the next couple years.
Houston yes. Should UCF win then they will likely play Duke in the 2nd Round
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Temple lost out too earlier in the week. Not off to a good start.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 pm Temple lost out too earlier in the week. Not off to a good start.
I wonder what the over/under would be if it was available in regard to the chances that the AAC (0/2 with 2 left) starts off better than the Big East (1/3).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:21 pm Houston & UCF are our last two hopes. I could see Houston making a final four run and UCF could win some games.

UConn recruited and played at a much higher level in both Football and Basketball when they were part of the P6 Big East. They've gone through some bad coaching hires, particularly in Football in the last few years. Danny Hurley will have the Huskies back in the big dance a whole lot sooner than your post would suggest. (and probably years before we make it back.)

They want out of the AAC as badly, or worse, than the rest of the conference. And it wasn't long ago that UConn gave the AAC men's and women's basketball national championships. Something nobody in the AAC can claim or come close to claiming. Few schools in the conference have gone to the sweet 16 in either sport.

And for a certain poster that's going to jump all over this post, there's only 1 town in the state of Connecticut that's further from Storrs than where I live. I'm much closer to NYC than Storrs. I've never donated a penny to UConn (other than paying some tuition there for a brief time) and have never posted or even visited a UConn board.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

However, the truth is, the conference goes as football goes. Basketball doesn't move the needle. Its nice to say AAC has won some MBB and WBB national championships, but at the end of the day, that really has no impact.

The AAC's new contract now pays us almost double what the Big East gets. AAC got more teams in the dance than the Big East did. A move by UConn to the Big East may be welcomed by their fans, because they'd play traditional rivals, but it won't make them any more relevant than they are now. In fact, their football would probably move down in class, and they'd be less relevant.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 pm However, the truth is, the conference goes as football goes. Basketball doesn't move the needle. Its nice to say AAC has won some MBB and WBB national championships, but at the end of the day, that really has no impact.

The AAC's new contract now pays us almost double what the Big East gets. AAC got more teams in the dance than the Big East did. A move by UConn to the Big East may be welcomed by their fans, because they'd play traditional rivals, but it won't make them any more relevant than they are now. In fact, their football would probably move down in class, and they'd be less relevant.
The current Big East is not what it was a year or two before we were "invited" to join. BC, Louisville, West Virginia, and I might be forgetting another were members. The old Big East was one of the, if not the premier basketball conference in the country from it's inception in the 80's through the early 2010's. It wasn't a football conference until the 90's, but quickly became part of the "haves" versus the CUSA and AAC "have nots". That's why UConn fans bemoan the AAC. They miss the days of the Big East basketball tournament filling "the world's most famous arena" and sending 6 or 7 teams to the tournament. Dave Gavitt swung a bigger axe than anyone at the NCAA! Many years the NCAA Tournament was so much less exciting than the Big East tournament, which was over in 5 days of great hoops at Madison Square Garden.

But the point of "pull yourselves up by the bootstraps" is not lost on me as a "secondary" Huskies fan. I get it. Suck it up and deal with it. Be the best in all three revenue sports (and women's basketball is #2 on list of revenue right now. at UConn) you can be and quit the whining and complaining about the AAC. Do they have a beef? Yeah. But has UConn athletics made the right moves to be the obvious choice for a P5 expansion? HELL NO.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The past is the past and isn’t coming back. As all children realize- you can’t go home again. Do you hear me reciting the grandeur of our 1998 season and how we should be in a P5 at every opportunity ? How about being a founding members of the SEC with more championships then multiple current sec members combined ? How about our rose bowl appearances or the one we declined ?

To the bitchy UCONN fans- STFU, we have a grander history but aside from a walk down memory lane occasionally we aren’t blaming the CUSA, Metro or AAC or theirs schools fans for our failures. We blame our administration and do the best we can to right the ship.

Edit: that’s not a shot at you DfromCT, but some of your fellow UCONN fans.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:04 pm The past is the past and isn’t coming back. As all children realize- you can’t go home again. Do you hear me reciting the grandeur of our 1998 season and how we should be in a P5 at every opportunity ? How about being a founding members of the SEC with more championships then multiple current sec members combined ? How about our rose bowl appearances or the one we declined ?

To the bitchy UCONN fans- STFU, we have a grander history but aside from a walk down memory lane occasionally we aren’t blaming the CUSA, Metro or AAC or theirs schools fans for our failures. We blame our administration and do the best we can to right the ship.

My fellow UConn fans don't visit the forum. And I don't disagree with what your saying, though I think we played in 1 Rose Bowl after declining one invite, both almost a century ago. UConn fans should know that they're borderline P5 candidates, but they think they're "destiny" is to be with the haves. It's crazy how they can hang their hats on 2-3 competitive D1 football seasons, and 20-30 years of dominant basketball, which is admittedly a distant second to football.

But you have to hand it to them, their women's basketball program probably generates as much, if not more revenue than our top three revenue sports.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Doesn't matter how bad they want out. They aren't going anywhere. They won that NC based on the talent from when they were still in the BE. They won't win another one.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Commence Rant:

Everyone gives us shit about being an anchor and someone who tagged along uninvited to the Big East, when in reality i believe it was SDSU and Boise who were supposed to replace ECU & Tulsa, not replace us. Also we were voted in unanimously. Yet we bear the bulshitt narrative for breaking up the fake big east.

Uconn's football is worse then our basketball in a sport where it is far more difficult/costly/time consuming to rebound. Furthermore basketball doesn't drive the ship, no matter what big east schools want you to think. Which is why posters on message boards don't run universities or Uconn. I'm sure by a wide margin Uconn fans would drop football and go to the big east . . . . why don't they ? Because wise people with experience and positions of authority know better. . . we can debate this separately. This is reminiscent of people in the other thread talking about firing Aresco and how he doesn't know what he's doing and how he cost the AAC by not going to the open market. . . . hmmmmm i would say the well regarded TV network executive with 30 years of experience at CBS Sports& ESPN acquiring content would know slightly more then the posters on a message board.

Someone astutely stated previously that we created a middle class. The rest of the G4 is done. The P5 will have a correction next contract outside of 2 conferences. i would love for a true expert/former AD to come and enlighten us on what our money can provide and what those actual $5X provide for the P5, because it seems like there are diminishing returns on those dollars.

Over time ( 3 years ?) we will continue to cut into the big east. We have more money to throw at coaches to go away when they fail, to spend on private jets and facilitates, to spend on extra consultants ands advisors and most importantly to overspend on coaches. Coaches LOVE MONEY. We make more money then the big east. . . lets put them, ULL, LA Tech and everyone else in their place. Then lets get our spot back in the SEC next to Vanderbilt ( thats a joke. . . kind of).

Two schools in the big east spend over $2m a year on coaches ( Nova & PC) the next highest is $1.5m and then big a fall off. It's time for little old Tulane to Spend $1.5+m on a coach when catholic schools cannot. The P6 divide is about to catch up to the Big East.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:19 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:04 pm The past is the past and isn’t coming back. As all children realize- you can’t go home again. Do you hear me reciting the grandeur of our 1998 season and how we should be in a P5 at every opportunity ? How about being a founding members of the SEC with more championships then multiple current sec members combined ? How about our rose bowl appearances or the one we declined ?

My fellow UConn fans don't visit the forum. And I don't disagree with what your saying, though I think we played in 1 Rose Bowl after declining one invite, both almost a century ago. UConn fans should know that they're borderline P5 candidates, but they think they're "destiny" is to be with the haves. It's crazy how they can hang their hats on 2-3 competitive D1 football seasons, and 20-30 years of dominant basketball, which is admittedly a distant second to football.

But you have to hand it to them, their women's basketball program probably generates as much, if not more revenue than our top three revenue sports.
Declining a Rose Bowl has to be the greatest showing of hubris, I find it amazing. Many conflicting reports of what truly happened, but i believe we landed on travel costs. But yes, you're correct 2 Rose Bowl invites, how many does Uconn have ? Also Tulane had an undefeated season that you can argue was a National Championship in 1998. Sorry ill take those over UCONN's womens bball and mens bball. Also don't forget the 2 Superbowls at our stadium, and you didn't mention the SEC Championships. People in the south would make deals with the devil for 1 SEC championship.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 pm Doesn't matter how bad they want out. They aren't going anywhere. They won that NC based on the talent from when they were still in the BE. They won't win another one.
They're head and shoulders above any other AAC team for an ACC expansion.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:46 am
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 pm Doesn't matter how bad they want out. They aren't going anywhere. They won that NC based on the talent from when they were still in the BE. They won't win another one.
For how long will this delusional sentiment continue in the State of Connecticut?
Why on Earth would the ACC extend an invite to UConn? For an up-and-coming Hockey team? For the Hartford demographic?
If it weren't for Duke & Clemson the ACC would be universally recognized as the dumpster fire that it actually is. Why add another shi*tbird beak in the pie?
I'd rather have UMass in the AAC than UConn. UMass has a better future.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 am
For how long will this delusional sentiment continue in the State of Connecticut?
Why on Earth would the ACC extend an invite to UConn? For an up-and-coming Hockey team? For the Hartford demographic?
If it weren't for Duke & Clemson the ACC would be universally recognized as the dumpster fire that it actually is. Why add another shi*tbird beak in the pie?
1. The TV Market they are in is 30th in the nation, 23 spots above New Orleans
2. UConn is a very good academic institution, two years ago they were one spot behind Tulane in the USN&WR rankings.
3. It's a flagship state University that's proven they can compete in Football when they're in a conference that folks give a damn about. Admittedly their football program has been a dumpster fire since the end of the Big East. There is no team in the AAC that people in CT want to see, despite the football coach trying to create a rivalry with USF.
4. UConn hockey is 3rd or 4th best in the state of Connecticut, you've tried that argument before, give it up.
5. The ACC is a much better conference that is rock solid in the two sports that matter much more than any other.
6. They have a big and active fan base, their women's basketball team probably out draws our football and both basketball programs combined.
7. Since you added the snarky comment about UMass, you should know that UMass is in the #111 TV market and their academics cannot hold a candle to UConn's.

Getting the thread back on topic, is Houston the only surviving AAC team?
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 pm However, the truth is, the conference goes as football goes. Basketball doesn't move the needle. Its nice to say AAC has won some MBB and WBB national championships, but at the end of the day, that really has no impact.

Well, to be fair, both the Big East and the AAC got 4 teams into the tournament this year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 am

Well, to be fair, both the Big East and the AAC got 4 teams into the tournament this year.
If basketball doesn't move the needle, how does the Big East get 1/2 as much money as the AAC when there's no Big East football? That's a lot of money for something M320 says has no impact whatsoever.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not. First off as I have posted several times there will be no more expansion. It's done. People need to realize they need to make the best of their current situation because it's permanent. Secondly if somehow there was to be expansion Cincy with a much better football program and a now better basketball program would be ahead of them. UCF could also be ahead of them if they can continue to dominate the conference in football and continue to improve their basketball program. You might want to take off those hometown sunglasses.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 am
Not. First off as I have posted several times there will be no more expansion. It's done. People need to realize they need to make the best of their current situation because it's permanent. Secondly if somehow there was to be expansion Cincy with a much better football program and a now better basketball program would be ahead of them. UCF could also be ahead of them if they can continue to dominate the conference in football and continue to improve their basketball program. You might want to take off those hometown sunglasses.
The only way the ACC takes another FL program would be if they lost one,
wave97
Swell

FWIW:
UMass Football hired a very good, young staff. Walt Bell (34 years old), & staff will have to spend a great deal of time getting their regional recruits up to speed. His staff is an interesting mix of the South, West Coast & Mid-West. This could get interesting...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 am
You are right, I root for the Huskies, even though there's at least 10 D1 basketball programs closer to my home than Storrs. But you might be very much in the minority that thinks there won't be re-alignment in the early to mid stages of the next decade. If you're right, at least Tulane is in the conference that's closest to being a "Power Conference". Looking at the big picture, however, I think the traditional rivalries, that are still very much alive, include UConn and BC, Syracuse, Va Tech and Pitt. To a lesser extent, UConn and Louisville were rivals. These schools would welcome UConn into the ACC with open arms. ND is stoutly against full membership. Having UConn in the conference would give the ACC a stronghold in the Northeast rather than a scattered 2 schools, they'd have three that reduce the geographic outlaying factor they have now.

UCF would be an interesting addition to the ACC, but traditionalists wouldn't welcome them. And I'm sorry, but UConn basketball will be back sooner rather than later under Danny Hurley.
nawlinspete
Riptide

D you are on the wrong board . This is not stor...
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 am

If basketball doesn't move the needle, how does the Big East get 1/2 as much money as the AAC when there's no Big East football? That's a lot of money for something M320 says has no impact whatsoever.
1. Yes they got 4 teams in, but their 4th one had to win in the First Four to do so.

2. D, I can guarantee you, barring realignment that affects one of the two conferences, as time goes by the disparity between the two contracts will continue to increase. Do you think the Big East will get a jump of any appreciable amount when their contract is renewed? It definitely wont jump 3.5x like ours did.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson