How ULM helped the Ragin’ Cajuns become ‘Louisiana’

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
cajunfanatico
Swell

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette won the latest battle in its decades-long name fight when the Sun Belt Conference agreed to call the Ragin’ Cajuns “Louisiana” in its latest media reference guide.

The Sun Belt’s decision went unchallenged by University of Louisiana Monroe President Nick Bruno. ULM has countered other attempts by UL Lafayette in the past by also submitting “Louisiana” as its preferred first reference name but declined to employ a similar tactic in November.

When McDonald asked if he was OK with UL Lafayette's request to be called Louisiana, Bruno wrote: “We are going to submit similar request so conference can default to last year. Ultimately due to lack of enforcement of legislation they are associated with the name. We can be a nuisance, but ultimately I think we must forge our own identity.”

ULM would ultimately submit “ULM” as its first reference to the Sun Belt instead, as it had done in the past, of asking to be called “Louisiana.”

UL Lafayette has attempted to brand its athletic programs “Louisiana,” “LA” and “UL” over the past several years by semantically dancing around Act 45 of the Louisiana State Legislature. That law prohibits any UL System institution from using the “UL” acronym or the name “University of Louisiana” for “academic, public relations, athletic, as well as other purposes not specified.”

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /97906872/

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Many I know still use the Louisiana terminology. Known as "Southwestern" Louisiana.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ultimately due to lack of enforcement of legislation they are associated with the name
So legally they are NOT the University of Louisiana. Tulane IS THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA. Hence the name "The Tulane University of Louisiana. Tulane was The University of Louisiana before Paul Tulane bailed the school out of financial troubles. The Cajuns are simply wanabees.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Ultimately due to lack of enforcement of legislation they are associated with the name
So legally they are NOT the University of Louisiana. Tulane IS THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA. Hence the name "The Tulane University of Louisiana. Tulane was The University of Louisiana before Paul Tulane bailed the school out of financial troubles. The Cajuns are simply wanabees.
I think you're arguing a point that wasn't trying to be made, at least not by me nor by the author of the article. Having said that, it's true there appears to be no desire on anyone's part to enforce the legislation. I'm not sure exactly why, though I have an idea.

The article is about the university's desire to brand its sports teams as Louisiana which is perfectly legal and catching on. Did you watch the ESPN video clip?

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:ULM fans exploding mad now
yeah, both of 'em. :D
BC Wave
Swell

The only reason that USL is now ULL is because NLU decided to change (amidst some quite vocal dissent).

You should be a bit more gracious to the school that empowered you to change.
cajunfanatico
Swell

BC Wave wrote:The only reason that USL is now ULL is because NLU decided to change (amidst some quite vocal dissent).

You should be a bit more gracious to the school that empowered you to change.
You're right. I'm sure all 3 of their fans are pissed. :D
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981