Ragin Cajun Baseball: More than 1500 take in Fan Day festivities

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
cajunfanatico
Swell

LAFAYETTE — The newcomers to the Louisiana-Lafayette baseball program got a preview of what things could be like Sunday at M.L. “Tigue” Moore Field.

Less than a week before the No. 6 Ragin’ Cajuns open the 2016 season, more than 1,500 fans turned out for the team’s annual Fan Day activities, and many waited in line for more than an hour to get autographs from the current players and recently graduated Cajuns now playing professionally.

“This is pretty neat,” said infielder Alex Pinero of Miami. “In junior college, we may have had 50 people in the stands for games.”

UL-Lafayette’s ticket office passed the 3,000-sold mark for season tickets Friday and has now hit full capacity for season tickets. The rest of the official seat number of 3,755 is saved for player and visiting team tickets and UL-Lafayette students.

Cajuns officials said the preseason sellout on a season-ticket basis is a first in UL-Lafayette athletic history.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... limpse-of-

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Cajuns sell out season tickets, 3000 in total, and have averaged just under 4500 in attendance for the first two home games. Fans are pumped about this team.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:Cajuns sell out season tickets, 3000 in total, and have averaged just under 4500 in attendance for the first two home games. Fans are pumped about this team.
How can Lafayette average 4500 attendance in a stadium with a 3755 capacity?
exflash
High Tide

The reason is SRO tickets---Maybe someone can show the crowd photo!!!
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:Cajuns sell out season tickets, 3000 in total, and have averaged just under 4500 in attendance for the first two home games. Fans are pumped about this team.
As exflash alluded to, those reported numbers represent standing room only tickets as well. I don't know what the maximum capacity of the park is, but the seating capacity is 3755. I believe with the renovations to begin at the end of this season, we'll be in the 4500 to 4600 seating capacity next year.

The average attendance reported for the 3 games against Sam Houston State was 4506.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
As exflash alluded to, those reported numbers represent standing room only tickets as well. I don't know what the maximum capacity of the park is, but the seating capacity is 3755. I believe with the renovations to begin at the end of this season, we'll be in the 4500 to 4600 seating capacity next year.

The average attendance reported for the 3 games against Sam Houston State was 4506.
OK, that makes sense. One thing UL-Laf does (as far as I can see) which I like is to try to report actual attendance (or as close as they can get) rather than attendance figures which include all seats purchased, tickets given away, etc. There is a difference between tickets sold and people going to the game; both numbers are important but reported attendance should be the number of folks entering the park.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:OK, that makes sense. One thing UL-Laf does (as far as I can see) which I like is to try to report actual attendance (or as close as they can get) rather than attendance figures which include all seats purchased, tickets given away, etc. There is a difference between tickets sold and people going to the game; both numbers are important but reported attendance should be the number of folks entering the park.
Honestly CC, I'm not sure what we're reporting today.

For years, at least in football, we reported only tickets scanned at the gate. A lot of folks complained to the athletic department that we were under-reporting as compared to our peers because everyone else was reporting total tickets sold. Some also complained that student ID's were rarely scanned so that they too were under-reported.

I posted an article last year on this subject and the guy in charge of gathering attendance data said that tickets sold versus actual attendance were almost identical because those who bought ticktes usually attended the game. I believe the NCAA let's the schools decide how they wish to report.

I do know this. For several years the baseball program has averaged in the Top 15 in the country for attendance. I suspect if we have a decent year this year we'll be firmly in the Top 10. Again, there's a lot of excitment surrounding this team.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:Image
LAFAYETTE — The newcomers to the Louisiana-Lafayette baseball program got a preview of what things could be like Sunday at M.L. “Tigue” Moore Field.

Less than a week before the No. 6 Ragin’ Cajuns open the 2016 season, more than 1,500 fans turned out for the team’s annual Fan Day activities, and many waited in line for more than an hour to get autographs from the current players and recently graduated Cajuns now playing professionally.

“This is pretty neat,” said infielder Alex Pinero of Miami. “In junior college, we may have had 50 people in the stands for games.”

UL-Lafayette’s ticket office passed the 3,000-sold mark for season tickets Friday and has now hit full capacity for season tickets. The rest of the official seat number of 3,755 is saved for player and visiting team tickets and UL-Lafayette students.

Cajuns officials said the preseason sellout on a season-ticket basis is a first in UL-Lafayette athletic history.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... limpse-of-
Z Z Z
cajunfanatico
Swell

Saturday, 1st inning.

7th inning stretch Friday night.

Lots of fans beyond the bleachers on both the 1st and 3rd base lines.

Third base line Saturday afternoon.

DrBox
Riptide

ccap05 wrote:

OK, that makes sense. One thing UL-Laf does (as far as I can see) which I like is to try to report actual attendance (or as close as they can get) rather than attendance figures which include all seats purchased, tickets given away, etc. There is a difference between tickets sold and people going to the game; both numbers are important but reported attendance should be the number of folks entering the park.
LOL
No they don't. Their football attendance is inflated like everybody's. They didn't have 10K actual attedance to their last 2 football games; far more were announced. Their fans claim that they report actual attendance, but it's false.
I am sure they had big crowds for their baseball. Won't contest their numbers; doesn't matter - place was full. Good for them.
Makes no difference to us. They're with their institutional peers in the sunbelt so our paths won't cross in any meaningful way except for a game now and then.
ccap05
Surge

DrBox wrote:
ccap05 wrote:

LOL
No they don't. Their football attendance is inflated like everybody's. They didn't have 10K actual attedance to their last 2 football games; far more were announced. Their fans claim that they report actual attendance, but it's false.
I am sure they had big crowds for their baseball. Won't contest their numbers; doesn't matter - place was full. Good for them.
Makes no difference to us. They're with their institutional peers in the sunbelt so our paths won't cross in any meaningful way except for a game now and then.
DrBox- I am happy to stand corrected; the attendance numbers at Lafayette football games is truly not a specialty of mine. You second point is also correct- the Laffy attendance is basically irrelevant as far as I and Tulane is concerned. We do play them in football this year which will be a huge game for them while it will be a pretty low interest game for us. On a more important note I was pleased with the attendance for the Illini series and hope that this is a sign of a continued upsurge in interest/support.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
ccap05 wrote:

LOL
DrBox- I am happy to stand corrected; the attendance numbers at Lafayette football games is truly not a specialty of mine. You second point is also correct- the Laffy attendance is basically irrelevant as far as I and Tulane is concerned. We do play them in football this year which will be a huge game for them while it will be a pretty low interest game for us. On a more important note I was pleased with the attendance for the Illini series and hope that this is a sign of a continued upsurge in interest/support.
You guys are a riot. "Laffy attendance is basically irrelevant as far as Tulane is concerned, makes no difference to us", but Dr. Box knows more about the attendance at our last two home football games than anyone else here, including me.....and that the numbers are false to boot. LOL.

And if Cajun fans claim that we report actual attendance, it's because for years that's exactly what we did. I don't know if that's the case today, but it most certainly was in the past.
“If there’s one disappointment,” Hudspeth said after extolling all the virtues in UL’s win during his weekly media gathering Monday, “it was with our number clicker that they use at the gates when we were counting people coming in the door.

“Obviously it got stuck at 30,000-and-some-odd-number, and just didn’t keep ticking,” he added. “I thought we surpassed that greatly.”

Hudspeth also challenged the number during an on-field, postgame radio interview.

The number, however, is quite accurate, said John Dugas, UL’s associate athletic director of internal operations.

Moreover, Dugas added, the attendance count doesn’t even come from so-called number clickers.

“Each ticket and every student ID is scanned by the Cajundome ticket-takers,” he said.

“The ‘clicker people’ – that’s really just like a backup at any gate. That way, if something goes wrong, they don’t just say, ‘Oh, well, we don’t know how many people are here.’ ”

The 30,028 figure, Dugas said, reflects actual attendance. It was the seventh-largest crowd in Cajun Field history.

Some NCAA programs release both per-game actual and paid attendance figures, but UL only announces actual attendance.

“We’ve always done it that way,” Dugas said. “Maybe you should do both … but, the thing is, our paid attendance is always so close to our actual attendance, because people who pay for tickets, they always show up.

“It’s not a situation where you are selling thousands of tickets to people who are not going to show up for our games.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/20 ... s/1567956/
Now, that story was from 2 1/2 years ago. I don't know if we're still following the same proecdures. But there's plenty of reason if we're not, for some Cajun fans to believe that we are as it was done that way for years.

And yeah, I'm sure the Cajun football team coming to Yulman this year will be of very low fan interest on Tulane's part. :lol:
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
ccap05 wrote:

LOL
You guys are a riot. "Laffy attendance is basically irrelevant as far as Tulane is concerned, makes no difference to us", but Dr. Box knows more about the attendance at our last two home football games than anyone else here, including me.....and that the numbers are false to boot. LOL.

And if Cajun fans claim that we report actual attendance, it's because for years that's exactly what we did. I don't know if that's the case today, but it most certainly was in the past.
“If there’s one disappointment,” Hudspeth said after extolling all the virtues in UL’s win during his weekly media gathering Monday, “it was with our number clicker that they use at the gates when we were counting people coming in the door.

“Obviously it got stuck at 30,000-and-some-odd-number, and just didn’t keep ticking,” he added. “I thought we surpassed that greatly.”

Hudspeth also challenged the number during an on-field, postgame radio interview.

The number, however, is quite accurate, said John Dugas, UL’s associate athletic director of internal operations.

Moreover, Dugas added, the attendance count doesn’t even come from so-called number clickers.

“Each ticket and every student ID is scanned by the Cajundome ticket-takers,” he said.

“The ‘clicker people’ – that’s really just like a backup at any gate. That way, if something goes wrong, they don’t just say, ‘Oh, well, we don’t know how many people are here.’ ”

The 30,028 figure, Dugas said, reflects actual attendance. It was the seventh-largest crowd in Cajun Field history.

Some NCAA programs release both per-game actual and paid attendance figures, but UL only announces actual attendance.

“We’ve always done it that way,” Dugas said. “Maybe you should do both … but, the thing is, our paid attendance is always so close to our actual attendance, because people who pay for tickets, they always show up.

“It’s not a situation where you are selling thousands of tickets to people who are not going to show up for our games.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/20 ... s/1567956/
Now, that story was from 2 1/2 years ago. I don't know if we're still following the same proecdures. But there's plenty of reason if we're not, for some Cajun fans to believe that we are as it was done that way for years.

And yeah, I'm sure the Cajun football team coming to Yulman this year will be of very low fan interest on Tulane's part. :lol:
As I noted earlier, it was my understanding that UL-L counted butts in the seat. It was pointed out by a later poster that is not truly the case and that last year (apparently a big downturn in UL-L football attendance) UL-L may have not been as accurate as I thought. In the end, it is of little consequence as what you are on this board to consider is Tulane football.

As to UL-L not being a high interest game to the average Tulane fan, I stand by that strongly. I think that if the average fan is much more interested in seeing Navy, Memphis, SMU and Temple and that it is very likely that the Southern game will outdraw the ULL game. Likewise, every one of our away games (with the possible exception of Mass) is played against a more important opponent than UL-L. I will point out that there was certainly not much interest on the Tulane side last time we played and UL-L's return to the bottom-middle of the SBC will do nothing to increase that interest. We will, as always, graciously welcome our visitors from Lafayette and be the superlative host that we are. That, along with the charms of NOLA, is why (in addition to a large dose of inferiority complex) ULL fans visit New Orleans.

I have nothing but good things to say about your current baseball program. The team wins, they seem to be a high class group of young men, and the Laffy community strongly supports them. That being said, it is fair that Tulane fans are much more interested in the success of the Tulane program, including what seems to be strong attendance, than in the attendance in Lafayette. I suggest that if you would like to get into an in depth discussion about attendance at UL-L sporting events you may find a more interested and sympathetic crowd on RajinCajun where people may actually care about those type of things.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote: I suggest that if you would like to get into an in depth discussion about attendance at UL-L sporting events you may find a more interested and sympathetic crowd on RajinCajun where people may actually care about those type of things.
I tried that. There seems to be much more interest here. Just look at the string of comments in this thread from Tulane fans who wish to opine about our football and baseball programs and our attendance while not caring about our football and baseball programs and our attendance.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote: I suggest that if you would like to get into an in depth discussion about attendance at UL-L sporting events you may find a more interested and sympathetic crowd on RajinCajun where people may actually care about those type of things.
I tried that. There seems to be much more interest here. Just look at the string of comments in this thread from Tulane fans who wish to opine about our football and baseball programs and our attendance while not caring about our football and baseball programs and our attendance.
I took a quick look at the RaginPagin and see that you did indeed post a complaint that I had somehow insulted the Cajuns on one thread and then start a totally separate thread dedicated to my question of how Laffy counts attendance. Best I can tell 9 pages of outraged responses on two threads followed. I was complimented that you apparently feel my comments here were important enough for you to start a separate thread there. My basic point, besides complimenting your baseball team and asking a legitimate question about attendance numbers you reported, was that U-La-La fans care deeply about Tulane (and what we think) while most Tulane fans pay little, if any, attention to U-LaLa. Some of us like reading the RajinCajun for its comedic value (sort of like watching the highlights of a Trump campaign speech) but you will note that we don't feel the need or desire to post on the board or enter the often surreal discussions. Real baseball fans admire the U-LL baseball success (and the few of us softball fans do the same) but except for that no one cares about UL-L except to the extent that their fans can be a bit of an irritant with their constant need for validation.

Your claim about "the string of comments in this thread from Tulane fans" is a bit of a stretch as well. I believe only one Tulane fan other than myself has responded and that was with a big yawn. On the other hand, there are pages of responses with at least 20 separate people posting on the Ragin Pagin on the thread you started when your feelings go hurt when I asked how you came about your attendance numbers.

Lets leave it at this- I am sorry that your feelings were hurt by my pointing out that a Tulane-ULL football game is huge to Laffy fans but of little interest, relative to our other games, to Tulane fans. One day, after UL-L joins the Big XII, this will change but until then you will just have to accept things as they are. On the bright side, if your football team can get back into 2014 form without more NCAA sanctions it is entirely possible that your team will move back into the elite ranks of the SBC.
Last edited by ccap05 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:I took a quick look at the RaginPagin and see that you did indeed post a complaint that I had somehow insulted the Cajuns on one thread and then start a totally separate thread dedicated to my question of how Laffy counts attendance. Best I can tell 9 pages of outraged responses on two threads followed. I was complimented that you apparently felt my comments here were important enough for you to start a separate thread there. My basic point, besides complimenting your baseball team and asking a legitimate question about attendance numbers you reported, was that U-La-La fans care deeply about Tulane (and what we think) while most Tulane fans pay little, if any, attention to U-LaLa. Some of us like reading the RajinCajun for its comedic value (sort of like watching the highlights of a Trump campaign speech) but you will note that we don't feel the need or desire to post on the board or enter the often surreal discussions. Real baseball fans admire the U-LL baseball success (and the few of us softball fans do the same) but except for that no on cares about UL-L except to the extent that their fans can be a bit of an irritant with their constant need for validation.

Your claim about "the string of comments in this thread from Tulane fans" is a bit of a stretch as well. I believe only one Tulane fan other than myself has responded and that was with a big yawn. On the other hand, there are pages of responses with at least 20 separate people posting on the Ragin Pagin on the thread you started when your feelings go hurt when I asked how you came about your attendance numbers.

Lets leave it at this- I am sorry that your feelings were hurt by my pointing out that a Tulane-ULL football game is huge of Laffy fans but of little interest, relative to our other games, to Tulane fans. One day, after UL-L joins the Big XII, this will change but until then you will just have to accept things as they are. On the bright side, if your football team can get back into 2014 form without more NCAA sanctions it is entirely possible that your team will move back into the elite ranks of the SBC.
Now now cc, just as exflash never ever hurts your feelings, you never ever hurt mine. You're actually my favorite poster on the interwebs because few posters will consistently respond with 1000 word essays about having little interest or not caring at all about the Cajun program. When we need validation, we know where to find it, and you deliver.

And even though no one here cares, some updated renderings of our new ball park:
ccap05
Surge

And even though no one here cares, ....
I suggest that if you find yourself starting a post with those words you may want to seriously consider whether you are posting in the correct place. To post after admitting that no one cares is the very definition of a troll.
Wave755
Tsunami

But Cajun Troll, last night ULALA baseball lost 6-2 to University of Louisiana System "Flagship School" La. Tech? :megagrin: :rollsmiley: :2thumbs: So ho-hum, and as now for time immemorial, UL System Flagship La. Tech maintains its dominance over 'lil' ULALA. :lolgreen: :winkgrin: :winkkiss:
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:But Cajun Troll, last night ULALA baseball lost 6-2 to University of Louisiana System "Flagship School" La. Tech? :megagrin: :rollsmiley: :2thumbs: So ho-hum, and as now for time immemorial, UL System Flagship La. Tech maintains its dominance over 'lil' ULALA. :lolgreen: :winkgrin: :winkkiss:
Threw their Friday night starter on a Wednesday. And couldn't care less I'm sure. :lol:
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:
I suggest that if you find yourself starting a post with those words you may want to seriously consider whether you are posting in the correct place. To post after admitting that no one cares is the very definition of a troll.
Sarcasm - A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
Sarcasm - A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning.
I suggest that if you have to explain that you are being sarcastic then your sarcasm can not be judged a success.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
I suggest that if you have to explain that you are being sarcastic then your sarcasm can not be judged a success.
Obtuse - not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.
Wave755
Tsunami

Ouch Cajun Troll, @ Houston tonight TCU 7, ULALA 1!!! Bleaux Cajuns Bleaux!!! And yes, Cajun Troll, TCU pitched its Friday starter!!! :lolgreen: :lolgreen: :lolgreen:
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
Obtuse - not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.
Please note that my previous gentle suggestions were posted as helpful advice to assist you in improving your postings. Apparently my suggestions offended you as you are no longer posting about the triumphs of your beloved UL-Laf Cajuns but rather posting personal insults (I can only assume that you are calling me "Obtuse"). My sincere apologies for any ruffled feathers or hurt feelings. Perhaps you may want to again seek solace on RajinCajun. Perhaps you can start yet another chain on that board about my postings here? On the RC you will once again find a supporting cast of like minded posters who will validate (often with idiosyncratic spelling/punctuation and all caps use) your desire to post about the glories of unbuilt buildings, UL-Laf seasons that could have/should have been, the inevitability of UL-L's football team moving back up into the top ranks of the SBC, the unfairness of LSU blocking your desired name change, the evil conspiracy of all major press outlets to call your school UL-L, etc. They will understand your frustration that the response on this board runs a gamut from apathy to derision. Please trust me that the response to anything you post on that board will be, at the very least, amusing.
Wave755
Tsunami

But Cajun Troll, today @ Houston, Texas Tech 5, ULALA 3!!! :fastclap: And yes, Cajun Troll, Texas Tech pitched its Saturday starter!!! :lolgreen: :lolgreen: :lolgreen: (and, maybe 'dem Cajuns are just nervous and very scared of any 'dem teams named "Tech"?) :yes: :headstand: :biggrin: And, Cajun Troll, tomorrow 'dem Rice Owls! :megagrin: :rollsmiley: :1thumb: