Carnegie Classification

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
exflash
High Tide

Congrats to Tulane for remaining in the top classification along with LSU in this research area---UL, along with UNO, remain in the second tier------ and I know that this will hurt the TECH academic apologists, but they drop down to a lower and last tier! So the University of Louisiana continues to grow and outdo all the state schools other than LSU in Research, endowment, enrollment, budget, facilities, etc-----Geaux for Meaux Cajuns!!!

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

UL?? The University of Louisiana? Tulane is named The Tulane University of Louisiana. The school in Lafayette is named University of Louisiana at Lafayette, or UL-L. IT IS NOT THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA. Please accept that and post accordingly.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
exflash
High Tide

Well more and more schools have that on their schedules---More and more articles use UL----ratings have us with UL many times----EVERYBODY around the Lafayette area calls us UL as well as Alumni which just keeps growing with the increasing enrollment!!!
BC Wave
Swell

If everyone in Lafayette says it, then it must be true.
BC Wave
Swell

Seriously, if ULL ever becomes the flagship UL system school, I would consider that as its designation.

Until then, it is no more UL than UL-Monroe, Nicholls St. or UNO is.
DrBox
Riptide

So you came here to rip La Tech? Ever the ragin fan...try to make yourself look better by putting others down

Here's ULL's rank in federal research grants: #269. Carnegie 2 and granting a bunch of PhDs is great...if you support it with Fed $. It's not something that the La taxpayers need to support, however.

http://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/datatables/her ... ST_22.html

In football, La Tech has the highest floor of anyone in the state besides LSU because: a)they use the 1/4 system, which is easier for transfers and to keep players eligible; b)less recruiting pressure per capita in north La.; c) the only rural FBS school in the state, which gives them some product differentiation. That creates a solid floor and a reason why they rarely are terrible (although like everyone else besides Tulane and LSU, have never been able to field a top 25 team, and only close once or twice).
Last edited by DrBox on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

exflash wrote:Congrats to Tulane for remaining in the top classification along with LSU in this research area---UL, along with UNO, remain in the second tier------ and I know that this will hurt the TECH academic apologists, but they drop down to a lower and last tier! So the University of Louisiana continues to grow and outdo all the state schools other than LSU in Research, endowment, enrollment, budget, facilities, etc-----Geaux for Meaux Cajuns!!!
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

exflash wrote:Well more and more schools have that on their schedules---More and more articles use UL----ratings have us with UL many times----EVERYBODY around the Lafayette area calls us UL as well as Alumni which just keeps growing with the increasing enrollment!!!
Everyone in New Orleans calls it ULALA? :confused: And, before ULALA it was called USL, which many here took to mean "University of Slow Learners." :megagrin:
cajunfanatico
Swell

DrBox wrote:So you came here to rip La Tech? Ever the ragin fan...try to make yourself look better by putting others down

Here's ULL's rank in federal research grants: #269. Carnegie 2 and granting a bunch of PhDs is great...if you support it with Fed $. It's not something that the La taxpayers need to support, however.

http://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/datatables/her ... ST_22.html

In football, La Tech has the highest floor of anyone in the state besides LSU because: a)they use the 1/4 system, which is easier for transfers and to keep players eligible; b)less recruiting pressure per capita in north La.; c) the only rural FBS school in the state, which gives them some product differentiation. That creates a solid floor and a reason why they rarely are terrible (although like everyone else besides Tulane and LSU, have never been able to field a top 25 team, and only close once or twice).
You've made that comment before. It was wrong the first time, and it's still wrong. La Tech was ranked in the Top 20 as recently as 2012 when they hit No. 18 in the Coaches poll, No. 19 in the AP, and No. 20 in the BCS poll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Loui ... tball_team
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
exflash wrote:Congrats to Tulane for remaining in the top classification along with LSU in this research area---UL, along with UNO, remain in the second tier------ and I know that this will hurt the TECH academic apologists, but they drop down to a lower and last tier! So the University of Louisiana continues to grow and outdo all the state schools other than LSU in Research, endowment, enrollment, budget, facilities, etc-----Geaux for Meaux Cajuns!!!
Easily one of your more intelligent and well-written posts 755. :lol:

But lemme understand this conversation. The guy who constantly talks about LaTech's Tier 1 status as though it represents some sort of pinnacle of success that can be used to belittle Cajun fans, suddenly falls silent when it's disclosed that LaTech's research capabilities have now fallen to the level of those of ULM. Hmmmm. If I was a cynic, which I'm not.........

In the end, perhaps it's not fair for me to characterize him as falling silent. He does, afterall, still have that childish ULALA arrow in his little quiver.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Easily one of your more intelligent and well-written posts 755. :lol:

But lemme understand this conversation. The guy who constantly talks about LaTech's Tier 1 status as though it represents some sort of pinnacle of success that can be used to belittle Cajun fans, suddenly falls silent when it's disclosed that LaTech's research capabilities have now fallen to the level of those of ULM. Hmmmm. If I was a cynic, which I'm not.........

In the end, perhaps it's not fair for me to characterize him as falling silent. He does, afterall, still have that childish ULALA arrow in his little quiver.
But Cajun Troll, you went to USL, the University of Slow Learners? :winkkiss: :lolgreen: :rollsmiley:
exflash
High Tide

Now that is the way to participate in a discussion----Do we now get our just due in research capabilities???
BC Wave
Swell

How many institutions are there in Carnegie Tier 1?
cajunfanatico
Swell

BC Wave wrote:How many institutions are there in Carnegie Tier 1?
There are 115 institutions that are classified as "R1: Research Universities (Highest research activity)" in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

There are 107 institutions that are classified as "R2: Research Universities (higher research activity)" in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

Here are the lists for both for those interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ted_States
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
BC Wave wrote:How many institutions are there in Carnegie Tier 1?
There are 115 institutions that are classified as "R1: Research Universities (Highest research activity)" in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

There are 107 institutions that are classified as "R2: Research Universities (higher research activity)" in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

Here are the lists for both for those interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ted_States
So the lists confirm ULALA is 2nd tier and on the same academic level as an UNO or USM :thumbup: ; wow, how could we make it without Cajun Troll? :lol:

And, oh by the way, :wave: this is a forum for Tulane Athletics. :-D
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: And, oh by the way, :wave: this is a forum for Tulane Athletics. :-D
Translation: Though I usually prefer to talk about academics, I don't like this particular subject so let's swtich back to athletics.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote: And, oh by the way, :wave: this is a forum for Tulane Athletics. :-D
Translation: Though I usually prefer to talk about academics, I don't like this particular subject so let's swtich back to athletics.
"ULALA academics," an oxymoron? :-D
ccap05
Surge

exflash wrote:Well more and more schools have that on their schedules---More and more articles use UL----ratings have us with UL many times----EVERYBODY around the Lafayette area calls us UL as well as Alumni which just keeps growing with the increasing enrollment!!!
Cajun Troll- The Advocate, The Vermillion, The SBC, ESPN,BaseballAmerica, D1-Baseball, the State of LA, the ULL administration and almost everyone except the "branding experts" on RaginPagin refer to the part of the UL system located in Lafayette as UL-L or some variant. My nephew recently received an admissions information package from the University which clearly noted that he was receiving information from Louisiana Lafayette. I have family who attend the university and they refer to it as UL-L. To claim (in all caps for some reason) that "EVERYBODY around the Lafayette area calls us UL" is simply not true. You are free to call ULL by any name you desire but to claim that there is some sort of massive, universal buildup of support for use of UL to refer to any school other than Louisville is simply not correct.

It is interesting to consider what could have been had the hard core UL-L fans not entered into their current re-branding fixation (based on a correct assumption that the old USL directional designation tended to diminish the school in the eyes of others) and instead embraced the "Lafayette" portion of the University's most recent legal name. Boise State, Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, etc. have all shown how second level academic schools which do well athletically can move up in the pecking order. Miami and Louisville have shown how good academics combined with a promotion of a city identification can help a school reach P5 heights. Embracing the Lafayette would have removed any threat to LSU and any pretension about being a flagship University. If the most recent renaming of the University had totally embraced the Lafayette you could have been the University of Lafayette and properly gone with the abbreviation UL.
exflash
High Tide

Well more do just use "Louisiana" (uniforms athletics facility signage and nearly all opponents on tickets, programs, and pre game releases)-----Oh yea the Baton Rouge paper that gives Tulane all its Sports section---what a joke---at least the Acadiana Advocate gives UL TOP BILLING!!!
Wave755
Tsunami

exflash wrote:Well more do just use "Louisiana" (uniforms athletics facility signage and nearly all opponents on tickets, programs, and pre game releases)-----Oh yea the Baton Rouge paper that gives Tulane all its Sports section---what a joke---at least the Acadiana Advocate gives UL TOP BILLING!!!
Are you even literate? And yes, we all know literacy is not a requirement for receiving a ULALA degree.
ccap05
Surge

exflash wrote:Well more do just use "Louisiana" (uniforms athletics facility signage and nearly all opponents on tickets, programs, and pre game releases)-----Oh yea the Baton Rouge paper that gives Tulane all its Sports section---what a joke---at least the Acadiana Advocate gives UL TOP BILLING!!!
I am not sure of the reason why certain words in your post are written in all caps, but your post is factually incorrect. The Advocate's Acadiana section only refers to the Lafayette based member of the SBC as UL-Lafayette (or some variant). Further, LSU gets top billing in the Acadiana version of the Advocate and not Laffy.

The fact is that the Advocate, including the section devoted to Acadiana, along with all major national, regional,and specialized (Baseball America, etc.) press, the SBC, the NCAA, ESPN, etc. etc. etc. use the university's legal name- UL-Lafayette (or a variant). Your post is not any kind of logical defense of your earlier claim of a groundswell of support to identify Laffy as a flagship University thus there is no way to logically answer it (I am ignoring grammar errors, etc. as I too have often posted while drinking and have made similar mistakes).

It amazes me that you guys come on here with such a huge amount of pride in the city of Lafayette and at the same time are so pathetically desperate to pretend that your University does not legally include the name of Lafayette.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If you're going to come and post on a board that's dedicated to THE Tulane University OF LOUISIANA, please swallow your pride and call your school by it's LEGAL NAME. And by the way, didn't UL-M try to brand itself as the University of Louisiana in the 90's?

There is NO University of Louisiana. There was one two centuries ago until Paul Tulane gave money to save it and it was re-named The Tulane University of Louisiana.

Yes, some of us get touchy about the subject. Especially when it is forced upon us by outsiders. Deal with it or hit the road.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

I'm just pleased that our little third world university and the city time forgot are the subject of so much thought and debate. :D
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:I'm just pleased that our little third world university and the city time forgot are the subject of so much thought and debate. :D
Actually, you should just be glad BIG STEVE allows trolls. :|
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:I'm just pleased that our little third world university and the city time forgot are the subject of so much thought and debate. :D
Actually, you should just be glad BIG STEVE allows trolls. :|
Yes, as you troll me on the Other Louisiana Schools forum. :roll: