Carnegie Classification

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote:I'm just pleased that our little third world university and the city time forgot are the subject of so much thought and debate. :D
Shows how truly slow sports are right now!

I have no issues with the Cajuns and wish them well. But the UL stuff irritates me, as it does many.

So much for trying to keep negativity out of my posts! :lol: :roll: :oops:

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:I'm just pleased that our little third world university and the city time forgot are the subject of so much thought and debate. :D
Shows how truly slow sports are right now!

I have no issues with the Cajuns and wish them well. But the UL stuff irritates me, as it does many.

So much for trying to keep negativity out of my posts! :lol: :roll: :oops:
Slow? The Softball team is 5-0, the mens basketball team is battling for 2nd place in the conference and a double-bye in the upcoming tournament, and Ragin' Cajun Baseball 2016 kicks off this Friday. Life is good. :D
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Actually, you should just be glad BIG STEVE allows trolls. :|
Yes, as you troll me on the Other Louisiana Schools forum. :roll:
But Cajun Troll, it is your diploma that says USL (University of Slow Learners) and this is a Tulane forum. :lolgreen:
exflash
High Tide

WHAT THE DIPLOMA HAS ON IT DEPENDS ON THE YEAR----Some have the University of Louisiana which they graduated from per the official rules of the Board of regents---this was before the LSU PEOPLE MADE A CHANGE BACK ILLEGALLY!!!
ccap05
Surge

exflash wrote:WHAT THE DIPLOMA HAS ON IT DEPENDS ON THE YEAR----Some have the University of Louisiana which they graduated from per the official rules of the Board of regents---this was before the LSU PEOPLE MADE A CHANGE BACK ILLEGALLY!!!
I am again confused by your sporadic use of all caps. Does this indicate that you are yelling? Perhaps you are trying to tell us that the specific words you are writing are very important and we should really pay attention to those words? On the other hand, it may be that the keys on your computer are stuck and and you are not physically able to capitalize properly. I guess his is one of the mysteries of life.

I, and everyone except the self designated "marketing experts" who populate the RaginCajin and who feel the need to fill every possible fanboard with this trash, know that the proper name of your beloved University is UL-L (or some variant). Many people refer to it lovingly as "Laffy" which is not official but which is generally understood to refer to both city and University. It seems that, with your most recent post, you are finally admitting that the name of the University you support is UL-L and you are now complaining, loudly and in all caps, that "LSU PEOPLE" forced the name on you. We can disagree about "LSU PEOPLE" forcing the name of the University but we now seem to all agree that the University should be referred to as UL-L, UL-Lafayette or some variant (such as Laffy).

I no longer practice law and, to say the least, am a bit rusty when it comes to legal research. I assume your assertion regarding the illegality of the "LSU PEOPLE"'s actions is based on your studies at the UL-Lafayette law school or does it come from the same think tank that produces Lafayette branding experts?
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:
exflash wrote:WHAT THE DIPLOMA HAS ON IT DEPENDS ON THE YEAR----Some have the University of Louisiana which they graduated from per the official rules of the Board of regents---this was before the LSU PEOPLE MADE A CHANGE BACK ILLEGALLY!!!
I am again confused by your sporadic use of all caps. Does this indicate that you are yelling? Perhaps you are trying to tell us that the specific words you are writing are very important and we should really pay attention to those words? On the other hand, it may be that the keys on your computer are stuck and and you are not physically able to capitalize properly. I guess his is one of the mysteries of life.

I, and everyone except the self designated "marketing experts" who populate the RaginCajin and who feel the need to fill every possible fanboard with this trash, know that the proper name of your beloved University is UL-L (or some variant). Many people refer to it lovingly as "Laffy" which is not official but which is generally understood to refer to both city and University. It seems that, with your most recent post, you are finally admitting that the name of the University you support is UL-L and you are now complaining, loudly and in all caps, that "LSU PEOPLE" forced the name on you. We can disagree about "LSU PEOPLE" forcing the name of the University but we now seem to all agree that the University should be referred to as UL-L, UL-Lafayette or some variant (such as Laffy).

I no longer practice law and, to say the least, am a bit rusty when it comes to legal research. I assume your assertion regarding the illegality of the "LSU PEOPLE"'s actions is based on your studies at the UL-Lafayette law school or does it come from the same think tank that produces Lafayette branding experts?
I think arguing about this subject is about as useful as arguing politics or religion. No one will ever have their mind changed.

However, on the issue of the powers at LSU forcing their will on our university (which it appears you disagree with) when we legally changed our name in 1984 to the University of Louisiana, I don't think there's room for much debate.

Our university petitioned its ruling board for the name change and was granted their wish by a vote of 17-1 IIRC. It was a big decision and big news too. So big in fact that those of us who were alive and aware at the time, remember where we were when we first heard the news. I was driving my 1970 VW bug down University Ave in front of the old Sears store. LOL

And btw, the process we used to get the name change was the same process, and presented to the same board, that LSUNO succcessfully used to change its name to UNO. There may have been others, I don't recall.

The times were much different back in 1984. There wasn't the huge level of separation, especially in athletics, that exists today, and one need only look at the forces LSU mobilized to undo what had been done legally in order to understand that they saw the name change as a direct threat to their power and position. From what I've read, LSU Chancellor James Wharton openly admitted at the time that he felt the name change would diminish LSU's image.

So, by legislative fiat, what had been done legally by our university following the rules in place at the time, was undone retroactively by forces led by LSU. So be it. He who owns the gold, makes the rules.

What I find most interesting though as I watch these debates take place around the interwebs, especially when one side involved has loyalties tied to Tulane, is that almost to a person those posters side with LSU on this issue. That actually pleases me because I believe it speaks volumes to the great gains that my beloved university has made.

I won't foist the UL designation on you guys, but I will say this. We are Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. Cheers!
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:

I think arguing about this subject is about as useful as arguing politics or religion. No one will ever have their mind changed.

However, on the issue of the powers at LSU forcing their will on our university (which it appears you disagree with) when we legally changed our name in 1984 to the University of Louisiana, I don't think there's room for much debate.

Our university petitioned its ruling board for the name change and was granted their wish by a vote of 17-1 IIRC. It was a big decision and big news too. So big in fact that those of us who were alive and aware at the time, remember where we were when we first heard the news. I was driving my 1970 VW bug down University Ave in front of the old Sears store. LOL

And btw, the process we used to get the name change was the same process, and presented to the same board, that LSUNO succcessfully used to change its name to UNO. There may have been others, I don't recall.

The times were much different back in 1984. There wasn't the huge level of separation, especially in athletics, that exists today, and one need only look at the forces LSU mobilized to undo what had been done legally in order to understand that they saw the name change as a direct threat to their power and position. From what I've read, LSU Chancellor James Wharton openly admitted at the time that he felt the name change would diminish LSU's image.

So, by legislative fiat, what had been done legally by our university following the rules in place at the time, was undone retroactively by forces led by LSU. So be it. He who owns the gold, makes the rules.

What I find most interesting though as I watch these debates take place around the interwebs, especially when one side involved has loyalties tied to Tulane, is that almost to a person those posters side with LSU on this issue. That actually pleases me because I believe it speaks volumes to the great gains that my beloved university has made.

I won't foist the UL designation on you guys, but I will say this. We are Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. Cheers!
I don't have the interest, patience or time to investigate whether, in 1984, USL legally assumed the name of The University of Louisiana. However, I think there is no reasonable debate that today the legal name of the university which was formerly USL is The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and it appropriate athletic designation is UL-L or a variant. Whether the name was foisted on UL-Lafayette or not is in the eye of the beholder and certainly beyond my level of interest.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote: I don't have the interest, patience or time to investigate whether, in 1984, USL legally assumed the name of The University of Louisiana. However, I think there is no reasonable debate that today the legal name of the university which was formerly USL is The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and it appropriate athletic designation is UL-L or a variant. Whether the name was foisted on UL-Lafayette or not is in the eye of the beholder and certainly beyond my level of interest.
Until the school and system come to an accord, either amicably or legally, we have no formal shorthand for UL Lafayette. And UL fans (yes, UL) should be fine with that. They are fighting for a name they honestly feel they deserve. What other schools refer to you as in the mean time is inconsequential, because as long as they are complaining, you have their attention.
:lol:
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote: I don't have the interest, patience or time to investigate whether, in 1984, USL legally assumed the name of The University of Louisiana. However, I think there is no reasonable debate that today the legal name of the university which was formerly USL is The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and it appropriate athletic designation is UL-L or a variant. Whether the name was foisted on UL-Lafayette or not is in the eye of the beholder and certainly beyond my level of interest.
Until the school and system come to an accord, either amicably or legally, we have no formal shorthand for UL Lafayette. And UL fans (yes, UL) should be fine with that. They are fighting for a name they honestly feel they deserve. What other schools refer to you as in the mean time is inconsequential, because as long as they are complaining, you have their attention.
:lol:
And, to paraphrase the bard Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a ULALA
by any other name would smell as putrid."
:yes: :lolgreen: :winkkiss:
exflash
High Tide

So the ex lawyer or non-practicing, I ask you to return to the days when Res Ipsa Loquitur meant something to you---check the facts and you will find out what happened and why our feelings on the subject----and I can see the Ad Hominem arguments coming already as the truth overrides your wishes!!!
ccap05
Surge

exflash wrote:So the ex lawyer or non-practicing, I ask you to return to the days when Res Ipsa Loquitur meant something to you---check the facts and you will find out what happened and why our feelings on the subject----and I can see the Ad Hominem arguments coming already as the truth overrides your wishes!!!
As I noted before, I don't care to spend my time trying to learn the ins and outs of why UL-L was not allowed to assume the name University of Louisiana in 1984. If you feel victimized by the actions of LSU back in 1984, feel free to harbor your grievances. The basic point which no one disputes is that today the legal name of the university is University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the legal/proper/chosen by the school athletic abbreviation is UL-L.

I suggest that this section of the Tulane fan board is really meant as a place where people can discuss news about other LA Schools (Nichols, UL-M, McNeese, SELA, UL-Lafayette, UNO, and the like), especially news that somehow is related to Tulane or relevant to Tulane fans, rather than a place to rehash old grievances UL-L fans have against the LSU fanbase. You are obviously free to disagree and continue explaining how you feel your institution was wronged 30 years ago; that is up to you but don't be surprised the responses (you guys get them on every fanboard on which you post this stuff except the RaginPagin).