Cajun football program gets 2 year death penalty and 10 year bowl ban

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
exflash
High Tide

Don't even kid like that!!!! LOL---Back on track and ready for the college World Series for Men and Women!!! BTW, the recruiting class looks great and this news will get more of the waiters to commit!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Well, Cajunfanatico, you're off by two years. Officially, the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons are vacated. No games from those seasons by the UL-L Cajuns took place. Hudspeth loses not only the wins (and losses) on his record, but officially he didn't coach the roughly 50 games that took place in those 4 years, both regular season and bowl games. UL-L voluntarily vacated the 2011 season, the NCAA piled on the other three years.

So it's not a 2 year death penalty going forward, it's more like the last 4 years (prior to 2015) never took place. So UL-L didn't beat Tulane in the New Orleans Bowl. The game officially never happened. See Section V in the document you linked.

I'd also bet that former Assistant Coach David Saunders never goes any further than the JUCO job he has now.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Officially, the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons are vacated. No games from those seasons by the UL-L Cajuns took place. .
Did they say the entire seasons are vacated or did they say the administration must identify and vacate those games in which any of the players in question participated? Not sure about you, but at this point, besides the 2011 season, I don't yet know which games will be vacated. Having said that, I haven't been on line tonight.
DfromCT wrote:So UL-L didn't beat Tulane in the New Orleans Bowl. The game officially never happened.
Again, has that been announced? If so, congrats. :D

Honestly, I'm tickled pink with the final outcome because I expected they'd punish us for the sins of Coach Saunders while at ULL and while at Ole Miss. :lol: And yeah, we're paying a heavy price, but the NCAA went out of their way in the report to point out that the ULL administration did everything possible to investigate the guy and in the end the NCAA found no evidence that anyone else in the Cajun athetic program participated in the fraud.

I fully expected a bowl ban of one or two years which would have really hurt recruiting.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Read section V of the NCAA document you posted the link to. I'm pretty sure the entire seasons are vacated.
ccap05
Surge

It is not good for Lafayette but it could have been a lot worse. The NCAA seemed pleased that the UL-Lafayette administration helped with the investigation rather than hindered it. This is pretty good news for UL-Lafayette and a good lesson in how to handle these types of situations (it appears that it was not a systemic issue but rather one bad coach who caused the problems).

It should be noted that while UL-L apparently aided in the investigation they do not seem to be actually taking responsibility for the cheating. ULL today announced that it was suing the ACT for allowing the ULL coach to help players cheat on their ACT tests. Basically, ULL is claiming that the ACT should have caught the fraud and this led to the issues that Lafayette is now facing.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Ole Miss component of this whole saga.
Last edited by ccap05 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:It is not good for Lafayette but it could have been a lot worse. The NCAA was seemed pleased that UL-Lafayette administration helped with the investigation rather than hindered it. This is pretty good news for UL-Lafayette and a good lesson in how to handle these types of situations (it appears that it was not a systemic issue but rather once bad coach who caused the problems).

It should be noted that while UL-L apparently aided in the investigation they do not seem to be actually taking responsibility for the cheating. ULL today announced that it was suing the ACT for allowing the ULL coach to help players cheat on their ACT tests. Basically, ULL is claiming that the ACT should have caught the fraud and this led to the issues that Lafayette is now facing.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Ole Miss component of this whole saga.
In my opinion the above post was one of your more objective and I thank you for it, honestly.

Yes, the NCAA specifically sited the efforts by the university's president and compliance office for a thorough, honest, and timely investigation and effort to find out and report the facts. Remember this investigation started when our compliance officer sat in on a meeting between Ole Miss attorneys and the coach in question and heard comments and questions that set off the alarm bells.

The NCAA report further said there was no lack of institutional control over the program and that the coach in question went to considerable effort to conceal his illicit activies. Coach Hud was not implicated in any way in the scheme.

The ACT lawsuit is an interesting one indeed. I have not read any of the filing but suspect that the university is claiming that if the NCAA requires student athletes to submit to testing by the ACT, and those test scores are then certified by the ACT and used for admission to the university, someone should be held responsible for monitoring the ACT test sites and its employees who process and report the final results. Certainly sounds logical to me.

From what I understand, ULL has spent well into 6 figures on the investigation and legal counsel, and has obviously suffered other damages to its reputation.

I too am interested to see what, if anything, transpires as this issue relates to Ole Miss. It appears his illicit scheme started while on their payroll. And the really interesting question is, were there any other coaches involved for other schools. Read up on the lady at the center of this cluster fark. Fascinating stuff.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Here's a link to the lawsuit the university filed against the ACT.

http://www.louisiana.edu/sites/louisian ... 20Inc..pdf

Perhaps our resident "trial attorney" can comment on it? Oddly, both he and Jonathan have been mum on the sanctions handed down by the NCAA. Wonder what that means? LOL
Jonathan
Riptide

Rage Page says U La La on the way to the Big 12 from the worst football conference in the nation,the Sunbelt which they are stuck in. The Big 12 wants top academic universities. U La La has been a lowly Tier 2 academic institution for decades and will remain so. This NCAA major cheating scandal will not help! The NCAA sanctions against ULL speak for itself. I do not want to rub it in.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Despite the "Charlie Brown teacher noises" I hear reading the post immediately above this one, the thread took an interesting and forthright turn with Ccap's post. I agree that the NCAA was most pleased with the efforts of the UL-L Administration, and not at all happy with the coach in question. I doubt that coach ever gets a job above his current JUCO gig.