Auburn going after LSU baseball TOPS scholarships

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

They are proposing SEC rule changes that will force any state scholarship (TOPS) to be counted against the 11.7 because it gives LSU an unfair advantage in baseball.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /27787003/
"That doesn't make any sense," Jacobs said. "It's a double standard. We're holding a group that has proven that they can compete academically at a high level (to a higher standard) than a group that we're not sure about."
The proposed rule will count state-funded scholarships against athletic totals for sports like baseball and softball which typically have to divvy up dollars to offer partial scholarships.
"This is an unfair competitive advantage," Jacobs said..

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
threeputt
High Tide

I always thought that any scholarship (academic, athletic or otherwise) should count against the limits. That would make it fair.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

threeputt wrote:I always thought that any scholarship (academic, athletic or otherwise) should count against the limits. That would make it fair.
Same here. This rule should pass because of so few schools in the SEC that have that advantage. So I would expect those that have state scholarship programs will vote for and those that don't vote against. The na's will win it. This will also help us out since we compete for some of the same kids and our high tuition can hurt us going against those guys.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

This could be big for tulane, even bigger for the rest of the LA public schools.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am surprised it took this long for this krap to hit the fan !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:This could be big for tulane, even bigger for the rest of the LA public schools.
+1
Definitely would help level the playing field in baseball in La. Hope it passes.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU holds their 11.7 for out of state kids and gives the in state kids TOPS. So essentially they could have all 35 guys on full scholarship. When everyone else has to scrape by with 11.7 scholarships. With that advantage they should always be in the top 3 to 5 schools in the country.
I can't believe it took this long as well for the other SEC schools to figure this out. I've been told they are doing the same thing in women's softball.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

A much easier fix to all of this would be to allow schools to give 25 full scholarships.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Plus LSU always hosts regional and super regional tournaments giving them a home field advantage and an easy path to Omaha. Why not have the Super regionals at a neutral site? How often has LSU had to go on the road for the NCAA tournament. It's the equivalent of Kentucky playing their NCAA tournament basketball games at Rupp Arena until they reach the Final Four.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:Plus LSU always hosts regional and super regional tournaments giving them a home field advantage and an easy path to Omaha. Why not have the Super regionals at a neutral site? How often has LSU had to go on the road for the NCAA tournament. It's the equivalent of Kentucky playing their NCAA tournament basketball games at Rupp Arena until they reach the Final Four.
It's to sell tickets.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:A much easier fix to all of this would be to allow schools to give 25 full scholarships.
I have often tried to figure out why they only allow 11.7 schollies. I have a theory but would first like to see if anyone knows if the NCAA has ever provided a basis?
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Tue May 26, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrBox
Riptide

TOPS helps us too. With TOPS and some academic aid the La student who is good, but not a genius, can go to Tulane for about 20-25K per annum.
In baseball, it will help us with the La baseball players who are good students, and there are a good many of those.
And if they reform TOPS, like they should, it would continue to help us because we aren't helped by the money-draining ACT 23-25 TOPS recipients anyway.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:TOPS helps us too. With TOPS and some academic aid the La student who is good, but not a genius, can go to Tulane for about 20-25K per annum.
In baseball, it will help us with the La baseball players who are good students, and there are a good many of those.
And if they reform TOPS, like they should, it would continue to help us because we aren't helped by the money-draining ACT 23-25 TOPS recipients anyway.
We are only talking TOPS here not other aid. Yes TOPS helps Tulane students some but not to the tune of the publics. Tulane only awards an $800 stipend per semester and $2,000 for tuition. While LSU awards the full cost of tuition as do all the other public state universities in La.
http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/o ... /20229405/
Tulane Class of 1981
capwave
High Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
sader24 wrote:A much easier fix to all of this would be to allow schools to give 25 full scholarships.
I have often tried to figure out why they only allow 11.7 schollies. I have a theory but would first like to see if anyone knows if the NCAA has ever provided a basis?
You can blame Title IX for the limit on baseball scholarships