Tulane loses out to ULL on Jeryl Brazil

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fred Dowler wrote:Somehow I suspect that there are more than a few in the TU community who want to cling to these views of "...recruiting criminals and academic non-qualifiers is not the way that Tulane will succeed in the AAC and certainly not the way to position the program for a possible move upwards...."

Guess what, folks. If you just want to play it completely safe, then TU isn't going to be moving up. That's guaranteed. More likely TU will be headed to Nowhere-ville, as in somewhere well out of the picture of big-time college sports. Now if that's what you want, okay, fine. So be it. But people really, really need to ditch any thought of essentially limiting the pool of athletes that the coaches can bring in and at the same time being able to push to move ahead as a program and make up the ground between where TU stands right now and where the conference peers are.
Our coaches not the admin declined on this kid. Tulane accepts convicted murderer's for Christ sakes. He killed his college professor 18 years ago at that.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... ane_l.html

'If I don't explain myself, if I don't try to reach out to other people, then I'm only confirming their fears,' says Bruce Reilly, who was convicted 18 years ago of killing a college professor in Rhode Island.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:Somehow I suspect that there are more than a few in the TU community who want to cling to these views of "...recruiting criminals and academic non-qualifiers is not the way that Tulane will succeed in the AAC and certainly not the way to position the program for a possible move upwards...."

Guess what, folks. If you just want to play it completely safe, then TU isn't going to be moving up. That's guaranteed. More likely TU will be headed to Nowhere-ville, as in somewhere well out of the picture of big-time college sports. Now if that's what you want, okay, fine. So be it. But people really, really need to ditch any thought of essentially limiting the pool of athletes that the coaches can bring in and at the same time being able to push to move ahead as a program and make up the ground between where TU stands right now and where the conference peers are.
Correct. It's just politically correct BS. Tulane has played it safe and lost on every account. We've had our share of Toney Converses, Trent Mackeys, Lawrence Burls, Ray Boudreauxs, etc anyway.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:

Our coaches not the admin declined on this kid. Tulane accepts convicted murderer's for Christ sakes. He killed his college professor 18 years ago at that.

'If I don't explain myself, if I don't try to reach out to other people, then I'm only confirming their fears,' says Bruce Reilly, who was convicted 18 years ago of killing a college professor in Rhode Island.
Ok, I have no problem with that. Just hoping that the organizational pressure to adhere to the Tulane Model did not contribute to that decision.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:

If the staff feels, for whatever reason, like they don't want to have this particular athlete in the program then that's on them.

My thoughts, though, were directed more at fans seeming to view this story and respond with "oh good, we don't want this type of unsavory person in our program (and I bet that if the staff did want to bring him in and then have him end up being a solid contributor all of these fans would probably be all in approval of the staff giving a person a second chance)." And then these fans seem to think, as well, that by avoiding taking risks at recruiting time TU is still going to be able to move ahead as a program.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:And, whenever little ULALA steps outside of its "Micky Mouse" conference ULALA gets a rather nasty "reality check" and the SCAM is exposed but then next week back to "Micky Mouse" :D!
Yeah, in football 3-0 in bowl games in the last 3 years. 2-0 against teams that are now in the AAC, and 1-0 against a team that was invited to the AAC but declined.

Do you ever tire of looking so miserably foolish?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:And, whenever little ULALA steps outside of its "Micky Mouse" conference ULALA gets a rather nasty "reality check" and the SCAM is exposed but then next week back to "Micky Mouse" :D!
Yeah, in football 3-0 in bowl games in the last 3 years. 2-0 against teams that are now in the AAC, and 1-0 against a team that was invited to the AAC but declined.

If you want a good laugh take a look at ULALA's 2015 USN&WR ranking and then "bring on" mighty Appalachian State! :lol:
ccap05
Surge

Fred- I understand your frustration with Tulane Athletics. I am a long term supporter/fan of the Athletic program and I am very frustrated. However, the idea that Tulane should be taking players recently dismissed from other programs for criminal issues is simply ridiculous. It is possible to win without taking these measures (look at GaTech, Duke, Standford, TCU). We are a University that aims at academic excellence and at building character- I am simply not willing to throw that out simply to attract a few athletes. Although I am a big fan of Tulane sports the University means more to me than simply rooting for a football or baseball team.
Wave755
Tsunami

ccap05 wrote:

Fred- I understand your frustration with Tulane Athletics. I am a long term supporter/fan of the Athletic program and I am very frustrated. However, the idea that Tulane should be taking players recently dismissed from other programs for criminal issues is simply ridiculous. It is possible to win without taking these measures (look at GaTech, Duke, Standford, TCU). We are a University that aims at academic excellence and at building character- I am simply not willing to throw that out simply to attract a few athletes. Although I am a big fan of Tulane sports the University means more to me than simply rooting for a football or baseball team.
Knowingly admitting criminal athletes would be the surest way of playing into the hands of those both faculty and administration who have since forever wanted to end Div. 1 athletics at Tulane. Brazil is instead a close fit for ULALA.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

ccap05 wrote:

Fred- I understand your frustration with Tulane Athletics. I am a long term supporter/fan of the Athletic program and I am very frustrated. However, the idea that Tulane should be taking players recently dismissed from other programs for criminal issues is simply ridiculous. It is possible to win without taking these measures (look at GA Tech, Duke, Stanford, TCU). We are a University that aims at academic excellence and at building character- I am simply not willing to throw that out simply to attract a few athletes. Although I am a big fan of Tulane sports the University means more to me than simply rooting for a football or baseball team.
The point is where TU stands right now as a program and where these others cited are. In reality, TU is way, way behind -- even with respect to these American Conf. programs. Miles and miles of ground to make up. You're going to say that TU can just sit back and play it safe and not take risks and be able to make that ground up and move ahead? Sorry, but you're dreaming there. The Cajuns, hate them or not, at least live in reality on this, and the reality of big-time college sports in my view, well, is what it is. As not for the faint of heart and/or for those who lack the resources with which to compete (check TU off in both categories). And then TU should be all about "building character" though the right idea is supposed to be to cast aside some athlete who wants and may deserve a second chance? You really want TU to be a thriving, viable force in big-time college sports? Okay, fine. Time to ditch the naivete, then. On the other hand, if hanging onto the principles of being pure and unblemished by scandal is so almighty, okay, fine on that, too. Just understand that you're not going to be able to stay in high-level Div. 1 and be a thriving presence unless you're Stanford and have mega-millions in your athletics endowment to spend, which I dare say that TU does not. It's not going to happen. That's a guarantee. Just that simple.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
ccap05 wrote:

Knowingly admitting criminal athletes would be the surest way of playing into the hands of those both faculty and administration who have since forever wanted to end Div. 1 athletics at Tulane. Brazil is instead a close fit for ULALA.
And such people don't already have in a de facto sense the kind of program at TU that they want?
Wave755
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
ccap05 wrote:

And such people don't already have in a de facto sense the kind of program at TU that they want?
If Tanner Lee can improve and mature as CJ hopes he will for QB, then we should "rock n' roll" next year for :) the AAC.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

If you want a good laugh take a look at ULALA's 2015 USN&WR ranking and then "bring on" mighty Appalachian State! :lol:
Yeah, ya got me, that's the first thing most football fans do when they want to check on the quality of a team, look up their USN&WR ranking. :roll:

BTW, is that the same USN&WR that Tulane has been sending false info to? Why yes, I believe it is. Some shady characters you guys got running that operation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... 95723.html
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Yeah, ya got me, that's the first thing most football fans do when they want to check on the quality of a team, look up their USN&WR ranking. :roll:

BTW, is that the same USN&WR that Tulane has been sending false info to? Why yes, I believe it is. Some shady characters you guys got running that operation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... 95723.html
ULALA will be tier 19 forever, and you know it! And, enjoy your new criminal player, he truly is where he should have been all along. :lol:
Jonathan
Riptide

The Sunbelt is the worst conference in the nation. CUSA has taken all their better teams. Beating these terrible teams leaves very low paying usually money losing bowl invitations. Usually going to the same bowl every year and claiming ridiculously 50,000 fans in attendance when they draw under 25,000 at home games. Obviously Georgia Southern while not saying much is by far the best football team in the Sunbelt.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

cajun which team do you say turned down the AAC ?
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
cajunfanatico
Swell

winwave wrote:cajun which team do you say turned down the AAC ?
San Diego State
cajunfanatico
Swell

Jonathan wrote:The Sunbelt is the worst conference in the nation. CUSA has taken all their better teams. Beating these terrible teams leaves very low paying usually money losing bowl invitations. Usually going to the same bowl every year and claiming ridiculously 50,000 fans in attendance when they draw under 25,000 at home games. Obviously Georgia Southern while not saying much is by far the best football team in the Sunbelt.
I have to ask Jonathan, if CUSA has taken all the better teams as you claim, and Tulane is 1-4 over the last couple of years against teams still in the Sunbelt, what does that say about Tulane's program? Perhaps you should get your own damned house in order before throwing stones at others.

And I'd like to thank you for the comments about how many fans attend Cajun home games versus how many Cajun fans attend the New Orleans bowl when the Cajuns are playing, because it helps prove a point I've long tried to make. There are many Cajun fans scattered all over SE Louisiana. I know this because the New Orleans area has a history of sending many kids to ULL. When I attended USL, I was amazed at the numbers. While these fans might not make a 2 hour drive to Lafayette to view a Cajun home game on a Saturday evening, they will turn out for a party in New Orleans and enjoy a bowl game.........three record crowds in three years with the New Orleans bowl ranking #12 in attendance last year out of 32 bowls. Not too shabby in my humble opinion.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Jonathan wrote:The Sunbelt is the worst conference in the nation. CUSA has taken all their better teams. Beating these terrible teams leaves very low paying usually money losing bowl invitations. Usually going to the same bowl every year and claiming ridiculously 50,000 fans in attendance when they draw under 25,000 at home games. Obviously Georgia Southern while not saying much is by far the best football team in the Sunbelt.
I have to ask Jonathan, if CUSA has taken all the better teams as you claim, and Tulane is 1-4 over the last couple of years against teams still in the Sunbelt, what does that say about Tulane's program? Perhaps you should get your own damned house in order before throwing stones at others.

And I'd like to thank you for the comments about how many fans attend Cajun home games versus how many Cajun fans attend the New Orleans bowl when the Cajuns are playing, because it helps prove a point I've long tried to make. There are many Cajun fans scattered all over SE Louisiana. I know this because the New Orleans area has a history of sending many kids to ULL. When I attended USL, I was amazed at the numbers. While these fans might not make a 2 hour drive to Lafayette to view a Cajun home game on a Saturday evening, they will turn out for a party in New Orleans and enjoy a bowl game.........three record crowds in three years with the New Orleans bowl ranking #12 in attendance last year out of 32 bowls. Not too shabby in my humble opinion.
Yes, it is truly sad for how many Greater New Orleans residents are unable to even get into LSU. :P
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Yes, it is truly sad for how many Greater New Orleans residents are unable to even get into LSU. :P
Well, I can remember back when LSU took in anyone and everyone with a HS diploma, and probably at the time LA was the only state whose flagship state university had such a policy.
Wave755
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Well, I can remember back when LSU took in anyone and everyone with a HS diploma, and probably at the time LA was the only state whose flagship state university had such a policy.
Fred, I was lamenting the college preparation given Metropolitan New Orleans students by our local high schools, not LSU's modest admission standards which pale in comparison to top flight public universities like Michigan and Berkeley. Progressively, ULALA and SELA exist solely for people who can't gain admission to LSU.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Fred, I was lamenting the college preparation given Metropolitan New Orleans students by our local high schools, not LSU's modest admission standards which pale in comparison to top flight public universities like Michigan and Berkeley. Progressively, ULALA and SELA exist solely for people who can't gain admission to LSU.
Though, unlike some universities, if I can recall correctly, U L (Laf.) still has an engineering program. It would be good if a certain local university could say the same.
Wave755
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Though, unlike some universities, if I can recall correctly, U L (Laf.) still has an engineering program. It would be good if a certain local university could say the same.
+1