Applachian State vs the Ragin Cajuns at Cajun Field

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Starting time was moved up to 1PM in order to avoid thunderstorms predicted later in the day. A light crowd of 20,000+ enjoyed the 66F kickoff temperature and saluting the Cajun seniors on their careers and final game at Cajun Field.

App State and the Cajuns each entered the game on win streaks with App State having defeated Arkansas State a week earlier in Jonesoro. Could the upstart Fbs team work its magic two weeks in a row?

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Appy with the win.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Appalachian State become bowl eligible with the victory, and could win the SBC with a UL-L loss to a Troy State team that seems to be finding themselves. I bet UL-L ends up in the New Orleans bowl regardless.

A bunch of Tulane fans would love to have Hudspeth as our coach, and I bet the job is much more attractive to him now that we have a stadium and are in the AAC. He's not a top candidate for a P5 job at this time, though.

Tip of the hat to App State. Is this their first or second year at the FBS level? They were damned good at the FCS level too!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

Dave, Dave, Dave, now I'm thinking you rascals have been pulling my leg all this time with your claims of disinterest in our fine little conference.
DfromCT wrote:I've never heard of Arkansas State. BFD.
DfromCT wrote:With all due respect, I think many of us wonder why you would post a detailed recap of a UL-L game on a Tulane message board? Doesn't UL-L have it's own boards? We really don't care. Really.
:lol:

Okay, since you're obviously interested, here's the poop: Georgia State and App State are both playing their first year of Fbs football as new members of the Sunbelt Conference.....both joining the conference with a long history of solid football, fan support, and a string of national titles to their names at the FCS level. As new members to the Fbs level, by nCAA rule they are not allowed to participate in any bowl games unless there are not enough eligible teams to fill all the slots available. I don't think that will happen this year.

Currently, Georgia Southern leads the Sunbelt with an overall record of 8-3 and a conference record of 7-0. According to Sunbelt rules, Georgia State is allowed to be crowned conference champion and at this point are assured of no less than a co-championship as they have a single conference game remaining against ULM in Statesboro. The Cajuns are currently in second place with an overall record of 7-4 and a conference record of 6-1 with last night's loss to App State. And as you mentioned, with their win at Cajun Field, App State now sits at 6-5 overall and 5-2 in the league for a current third place position.

App State has a single conference home game remaining against cellar-dwelling Idaho so they should finish with only 2 conference losses this year. As you mentioned in your post Dave, the Cajuns must travel to Troy this coming weekend for their final regular season game. Troy's not only on a 2 game winning streak, this will be the final game of their head coach, Larry Blakeney who has coached the team for 20 years! A win by the Cajuns at Larry Blakeney Field, which will be no easy task, would put the Cajuns at 8-4 and 7-1 in conference and would assure the team of at least a second place finish in the league.

No one at this point is sure of where the Cajuns will play post-season though odds are that the New Orleans Bowl will again issue an invite to the team. This year's opponent is scheduled to come from the MWC and I suspect will likely be either Nevada or San Diego State. While there had been speculation that the Cajuns might play in either the GoDaddy Bowl or the newcomer Camellia Bowl, I think that with the New Orleans Bow's early start time and a projected lack of hotel rooms because of a Saint's home game the following day, the Cajuns make the most sense for this bowl. Because of the circumstances though, if the Cajuns are selected for the New Orleans Bowl, I do not see a 4th consecutive record attendance. The MWC will not bring a large number of fans.

And yes, I agree that Mark Hudspeth would make a great coach for Tulane if you guys are interested in him. Only problem at the moment is that you've already got a head coach. ;)
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.