Cajuns 55 Arkansas State 40

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Elijah McGuire’s 200-yard game carries Cajuns past Arkansas State

LAFAYETTE — There were 1,116 yards and 95 points accounted for in the nearly four-hour extreme pinball match between the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and Arkansas State.

The game featured an ejection, two missed extra points, a couple of de-cleaters from a missile kicker, a failed fake punt from inside the kicking team’s own 10-yard line, and four touchdowns that went at least 60 yards.

This must be why it’s called the Fun Belt.

But it was the Cajuns (4-3, 3-0) who had the most fun.

They moved over the .500 mark for the first time since they beat Southern in the season opener in a 55-40 win against their Sun Belt Conference rival Arkansas State.

For the most part, the Cajuns were in control.

But Arkansas State was determined to prove that no lead was ever safe.

Even after the Cajuns built up leads of 25 and 18 points, Arkansas State continually fought back.

The Red Wolves scored 17 points in the fourth quarter, and the Cajuns had to recover a pair of onside kicks to keep State from tying the game up.

But each time the Red Wolves sniffed a tie game, they lost the scent when Elijah McGuire touched the ball.

And it was McGuire who finally ended Arkansas State’s hopes near the end of the game.

Red Wolves quarterback Fredi Knighten completed a touchdown pass and two-point conversion with 1:12 remaining in the game to bring Arkansas State within a score of the Cajuns.

The onside kick attempt sailed out of bounds, but with two timeouts remaining, the Red Wolves had a chance to get the ball back.

After two quick running plays were snuffed out for little to no gain, the Cajuns were facing a third-and-10 with more than a minute remaining in the game.

A stop would have given Arkansas State the ball back with a chance at a miracle.

But McGuire ensured no miracles would be happening Tuesday night.

Like he had done so many times earlier in the game, McGuire gashed the Red Wolves defense wide open.

He split the middle and outran everybody to the end zone, racing 54 yards for a touchdown to put the game truly out of reach.

It was a familiar site for the Red Wolves, who allowed McGuire to gut them for a 43-yard touchdown run two and a half minutes earlier to turn a nine-point game into a 16-point game.

McGuire finished the night with a career-high 265 rushing yards and four touchdowns.

The Cajuns looked like they were going to run away with the game early.

They stormed out to a 34-9 lead by the time the second quarter wasn’t even halfway over thanks to a big-play rushing game that the Red Wolves defense simply wasn’t able to figure out.

The Cajuns hit the Red Wolves on the perimeter with McGuire, then hammered them inside with Alonzo Harris, who had four touchdowns of his own.

The ground game was going so well early that Harris had already scored his third touchdown of the game by the time the second quarter was a minute old.

But the Red Wolves used the big play of their own to get back into the game.

Running back Michael Gordon, who was coming off back-to-back games in which he ran for at least 160 yards, scored on a 70-yard play to ignite the Arkansas State comeback.

It was one of those peculiar plays where Gordon landed on top of his offensive lineman, but never truly touched the ground. The officials never blew the whistle, and Gordon left the Cajuns defense in the dust.

On the Red Wolves next play from scrimmage, Knighten found Dijon Paschal on a slant route, and Paschal did the rest, out-running the Cajuns defense for an 87-yard score to cut the Cajuns halftime lead to 11 points.

As bad as the Cajuns defense performed on paper, all it needed was a couple of stops to let the offense get to work.

The Cajuns harassed Knighten, sacking him five times and intercepting him once to lead to a short Harris touchdown run. They also forced four three and outs and caused the Red Wolves to go 4-for-17 on third down.
Elijah McGuire with 256 yards on 19 carries and 4 touchdowns. :shock: Alonzo Harris also scored 4 touchdowns.

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I've never heard of Arkansas State. BFD.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I've never heard of Arkansas State. BFD.
They usually field a pretty decent team. In 2012 for instance, they beat ULM 45-23 after ULM beat Tulane 63-10 in the Superdome.

They also beat the Cajuns that year at Cajun Field, 50-27, after the Cajuns had beaten Tulane 41-13 on the same field less than a month before.

You should pay more attention.

:D
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote:
They usually field a pretty decent team. In 2012 for instance, they beat ULM 45-23 after ULM beat Tulane 63-10 in the Superdome.

They also beat the Cajuns that year at Cajun Field, 50-27, after the Cajuns had beaten Tulane 41-13 on the same field less than a month before.

No reason to. I'll watch the FCS playoffs before I'll watch the Sunbelt.
BC Wave
Swell

They used to be the Indians and were in the Southland with then NLU.
cajunfanatico
Swell

I mentioned this thread to a buddy of mine at Arkansas State. He replied, "who's Tulane?". :lol:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I watched the World Series last night. Didn't know the Cajuns were even playing.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:I watched the World Series last night. Didn't know the Cajuns were even playing.
Yes indeed, one of those Tuesday night specials. It's looking like as long as the Cajuns play Arkansas State and Texas State, they'll be playing either Tuesday or Thursday night games.....apparently ESPN is pleased with the ratings.
exflash
High Tide

cajunfanatico wrote:

----I like dealing in facts and when they are just stated like the above it is so telling---So ARK ST has been a pretty damn good team in the recent past and the Tulanes according to facts have been not too good----Don't feel like the Lone Ranger as the Cajuns had been down---but I think also that you should pay more attention to the pecking order!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

----I like dealing in facts and when they are just stated like the above it is so telling---So ARK ST has been a pretty damn good team in the recent past and the Tulanes according to facts have been not too good----Don't feel like the Lone Ranger as the Cajuns had been down---but I think also that you should pay more attention to the pecking order!!!
Why do you even troll here?
ccap05
Surge

Arkansas State, Troy, The University of Louisiana at Monroe, and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (along with 4 or five other small directional and double directional schools) make up the Sun Belt Conference. They play their games on Tuesdays and Thursdays and are sometimes broadcast on ESPN 8 ("El Gran Ocho") when they are not pre-empted by important Lacrosse games. I believe the SunBelt Conference slogan is "On any given Tuesday". I hope this explains Ark St. and the SunBelt Conference. The BFD comment is spot on.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ccap05 wrote:
Arkansas State, Troy, The University of Louisiana at Monroe, and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (along with 4 or five other small directional and double directional schools) make up the Sun Belt Conference. They play their games on Tuesdays and Thursdays and are sometimes broadcast on ESPN 8 ("El Gran Ocho") when they are not pre-empted by important Lacrosse games. I believe the SunBelt Conference slogan is "On any given Tuesday". I hope this explains Ark St. and the SunBelt Conference. The BFD comment is spot on.

Actually ccap05, most Belt games are played on Saturday just like everyone else though the league does get national exposure via ESPN with the Tuesday and Thursday night games. I've come to like those mid-week games as the Cajuns have done exceedingly well in that venue though home attendance usually takes a hit.

And from reading these posts, it seems that many here aren't very familiar with the SunBelt and its brand of football.....or perhaps just dismiss the league out-of-hand without any actual analysis. That's a shame because there's actually some decent football played in the Belt, at least by the top 2 or 3 teams each year, though I guess it's understandable with Tulane playing in a powerhouse football conference like the AAC that the Belt would go unnoticed here. And while there's no doubt that the AAC should be a much stronger football league year-in and year-out, I doubt the current Tulane football program could finish much higher than middle-of-the pack in the SunBelt.

For the sake of analysis, there's been some head-to-head competition between the Belt and the AAC though most recent games involved teams that were in transition from one conference to another. A couple of years ago for instance the Cajuns faced East Carolina (a directional school which is now an AAC member) in a bowl game and defeated them 43-34. And, of course, most of you probably remember last year's New Orleans Bowl where Tulane outclassed the Cajuns in every phase of the game except the final score.

This year I can think of only a single head-to-head matchup between the two leagues, that being a Texas State road win at Tulsa in OT. Tulane fans can probably relate to that scenario. Further comparisons would require a look at how the Belt did against opponents that Tulane has also faced this year. Duke, an early-season Tulane foe, defeated Troy 34-17 at Troy, while new, directional, FCS call-up Georgia Southern was defeated on a last minute, come-from-behind touchdown drive at Georgia Tech, 42-38.

While admitting that comparing scores against common opponents is not the best method possible, this limited data would seem to indicate to me that the Belt's middle-of-the pack teams have performed as well or better than Tulane in similar circumstances.

In conclusion, stop looking down your damned noses at everyone around you and, as always, I appreciate your continued interest in the Cajun athletic program. :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

With all due respect, I think many of us wonder why you would post a detailed recap of a UL-L game on a Tulane message board? Doesn't UL-L have it's own boards? We really don't care. Really.

Cajunfanatico, you've added some great posts in many a thread. exflash comes here from time to time to flame, thus I labelled him a troll. Good luck to UL-L, I'll check back in with their record at season's end. Really have less than zero interest in their week to week ups and downs, as I'm more concerned with those of Tulane, the NY Giants and Saints. Local HS football is more interesting to me as i know a bunch of the kids playing.
ccap05
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
ccap05 wrote:

Actually ccap05, most Belt games are played on Saturday just like everyone else though the league does get national exposure via ESPN with the Tuesday and Thursday night games. I've come to like those mid-week games as the Cajuns have done exceedingly well in that venue though home attendance usually takes a hit.

And from reading these posts, it seems that many here aren't very familiar with the SunBelt and its brand of football.....or perhaps just dismiss the league out-of-hand without any actual analysis. That's a shame because there's actually some decent football played in the Belt, at least by the top 2 or 3 teams each year, though I guess it's understandable with Tulane playing in a powerhouse football conference like the AAC that the Belt would go unnoticed here. And while there's no doubt that the AAC should be a much stronger football league year-in and year-out, I doubt the current Tulane football program could finish much higher than middle-of-the pack in the SunBelt.

For the sake of analysis, there's been some head-to-head competition between the Belt and the AAC though most recent games involved teams that were in transition from one conference to another. A couple of years ago for instance the Cajuns faced East Carolina (a directional school which is now an AAC member) in a bowl game and defeated them 43-34. And, of course, most of you probably remember last year's New Orleans Bowl where Tulane outclassed the Cajuns in every phase of the game except the final score.

This year I can think of only a single head-to-head matchup between the two leagues, that being a Texas State road win at Tulsa in OT. Tulane fans can probably relate to that scenario. Further comparisons would require a look at how the Belt did against opponents that Tulane has also faced this year. Duke, an early-season Tulane foe, defeated Troy 34-17 at Troy, while new, directional, FCS call-up Georgia Southern was defeated on a last minute, come-from-behind touchdown drive at Georgia Tech, 42-38.

While admitting that comparing scores against common opponents is not the best method possible, this limited data would seem to indicate to me that the Belt's middle-of-the pack teams have performed as well or better than Tulane in similar circumstances.

In conclusion, stop looking down your damned noses at everyone around you and, as always, I appreciate your continued interest in the Cajun athletic program. :D
I understand that you are a big supporter of the SBC and UL-L's place in it. I certainly do not look down my nose at UL-L (or the SBC). The University and their athletic program program have a valued place within the UL system. Likewise the SBC provides a good setting for its members to compete. You invite the responses you receive by repeatedly posting UL-Laf weekly updates on a board that is clearly dedicated to something else. I do not question your motives or right to post. I also do not accuse you of having an inferiority complex regarding UL-Laf even if such an accusation is supported by the need to continuously post on unrelated boards. However, I do think my friend from CT's original comment is a good one - BFD.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote:With all due respect, I think many of us wonder why you would post a detailed recap of a UL-L game on a Tulane message board? Doesn't UL-L have it's own boards? We really don't care. Really.

Honestly Dave, I don't understand the hostility. I posted the recap in the Other Schools section where I was told to make such posts. And yeah, it's a detailed post but no one has to read it if they don't wish to do so. And I posted the story for two reasons. First, as has been pointed out here, some readers were unaware that the Cajuns had even played the game since it was on a Tuesday night. And secondly, like you, I'm proud of my team.

Our tandem running backs of Alonzo Harris and Elijah McGuire scored 8 touchdowns against what was supposed to be a superior defense in a key SunBelt game. Most Belt fans had picked Arkansas State to defeat us at Cajun Field.

This Cajun team suffered some adversity early in the year and posters like Jonathon were here in a New York second to mock us. I'm fine with that, it comes with the territory. But I'll not apologize to anyone for being proud of how the program has been turned around and now seems to be headed in the right direction.

Perhaps it's time that you and others who don't want to be exposed to my posts talk to the powers that be and have this section deleted. Do that and all references to the Cajun program by me will end though I'll continue to post elsewhere on the site.

PS: I hope young Zac is doing well. You never responded to my last PM.
OGSB
Swell

tpstulane wrote:I watched the World Series last night. Didn't know the Cajuns were even playing.
The night shift at work watched pre season NBA on their lunch break.
Livin' rent free