Sun Belt Champion Headed to New Orleans Bowl

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
cajunfanatico
Swell

NEW ORLEANS – The winner of the inaugural Sun Belt Conference Football Championship Game will be headed to New Orleans as the conference announced Friday that the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl will host the winning team for its upcoming bowl game.

“The R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl and Sun Belt football have been linked together from the inception of both in 2001 and we are excited to carry on our longstanding relationship with the game in this new and exciting way,” said Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Karl Benson. “Our student-athletes, coaches, administrators and fans have always enjoyed their visits to New Orleans and have always had a first-class bowl experience. The Sun Belt Champion will be greeted with the city’s renowned hospitality and will play in the iconic Mercedes-Benz Superdome. It is an exciting time for both the Sun Belt and the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.”

The Sun Belt’s first ever Football Championship Game will be played on Dec. 1 and kickoff for the game will come straight out of College GameDay on ESPN at 12 p.m. ET/11 a.m. CT. With a new divisional structure in place for the 2018 season, the Sun Belt Championship Game will feature the winners of the Sun Belt East and West Division. The game will take place at the home site of the Divisional Champion with the best overall conference winning percentage.

https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2018/11/ ... -bowl.aspx

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Another snooze of a story! Just like the Ula-La womens basketball thread, why should we care?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:41 pm Another snooze of a story! Just like the Ula-La womens basketball thread, why should we care?
Since it's a snoozer, I'm inclined to ask why you opened the thread and commented, but I won't.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

So realistically, if U LA LA wins the the Sun Belt Conference championship game in future years the best bowl they can get to is the New Orleans bowl? If I remember correctly some Cajun fans were complaining about going to the New Orleans Bowl repeatedly under Coach HUD and they wanted a better bowl. Problem is the Sun Belt conference does not have a better bowl tie in. That’s when a couple of delusional Cajun fans were saying that eventually they would be invited to the Big 12 conference if they just kept on winning the New Orleans Bowl every year. LMFAO!!
Wave QB
Swell

Here we go hating on other Bowl Games when we struggle to get in any!

I would take the NOLA Bowl any day of sitting in front of the TV watching everyone competing in the Bowl season. I am still pissed about us losing the ULL in the NOLA Bowl.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Look the New Orleans Bowl does a great job and is a well run bowl game. All I’m saying is if you win the Sun Belt conference championship game the best bowl you can get to is the New Orleans Bowl. When U LA LA had several good years under Coach HUD it seemed like there was no way for them to get into a better bowl even after several appearances in the New Orleans Bowl. This has nothing to do with Tulane and is about the terrible situation that the Sun Belt conference is in with regards to their bowl tie ins. I would be thrilled with Tulane going to the New Orleans Bowl this year. However if at some point in the future Tulane were to win the AAC championship game I would want them to do better than the New Orleans Bowl.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If we win the AAC we should get the NY6 Bowl slot. If not then we we get a who gives a shit Bowl. I love and respect Aresco but the Bowl line-up is weak. When these teams were in CUSA the champ had the Liberty. No more. Times change.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Tulane needs to be the middle man in all this and secure the Nola Bowl for the AAC #5. Screw the Cure bowl, if we're playing Sun Belt in a bowl better make sure it's their champ.
Wave QB
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 pm Look the New Orleans Bowl does a great job and is a well run bowl game. All I’m saying is if you win the Sun Belt conference championship game the best bowl you can get to is the New Orleans Bowl. When U LA LA had several good years under Coach HUD it seemed like there was no way for them to get into a better bowl even after several appearances in the New Orleans Bowl. This has nothing to do with Tulane and is about the terrible situation that the Sun Belt conference is in with regards to their bowl tie ins. I would be thrilled with Tulane going to the New Orleans Bowl this year. However if at some point in the future Tulane were to win the AAC championship game I would want them to do better than the New Orleans Bowl.
All I am saying in “so what.” ULL made noise for that run, and we sat at home. When we had our chance to win it against them, we failed in a greatly attended stadium on national TV. If the NOLA is the gold medal for the Sun Belt, then so be it. It’s a Bowl Game in a major city and better than sitting at home with our noses up. While folks around here continue to bash bowl games, smaller conferences and other programs that hear the ESPN College Bowl Theme more that’s Tulane, I will continue to pray for a coach that can get us to the NOLA for 4 consecutive years.
Wave QB
Swell

Ruski wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:10 am Tulane needs to be the middle man in all this and secure the Nola Bowl for the AAC #5. Screw the Cure bowl, if we're playing Sun Belt in a bowl better make sure it's their champ.
I agree. We are starting to sound like those tech cans from Ruston. It was a national embarrassment for them to go 9-3 and miss out on a Bowl Game just because they turned their noses up at the Independence Bowl, and the thought of playing former rival ULM.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 pm I am still pissed about us losing the ULL in the NOLA Bowl.
The 2013 NOLA bowl results were vacated due to major NCAA violations committed by ULALA which included ACT fraud.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:15 am
Wave QB wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 pm I am still pissed about us losing the ULL in the NOLA Bowl.
The 2013 NOLA bowl results were vacated due to major NCAA violations committed by ULALA which included ACT fraud.
That doesn't mean we won. It also doesn't erase one of the worst Pick 6's ever thrown by a Montana, whom set the tone for our old friend Tanner. We monted a furious comeback, and fell short when the best kicker in college football missed. It's a bitter pill for many of us, years later, and ULa-La's violations don't change the results in our minds.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 pm So realistically, if U LA LA wins the the Sun Belt Conference championship game in future years the best bowl they can get to is the New Orleans bowl? If I remember correctly some Cajun fans were complaining about going to the New Orleans Bowl repeatedly under Coach HUD and they wanted a better bowl. Problem is the Sun Belt conference does not have a better bowl tie in. That’s when a couple of delusional Cajun fans were saying that eventually they would be invited to the Big 12 conference if they just kept on winning the New Orleans Bowl every year. LMFAO!!
In response to your question, the answer is "no", the best bowl the Cajuns can get is not just the New Orleans Bowl. Our "best bowl" scenario is the same best bowl Tulane would be eligible for after a great season under the current structure for those of us in the G5. Other possiblities may also exist in the future.

This is the first year that the Sun Belt has held a championship game and some believe that the New Orleans Bowl is angling for a hopeful matchup between a Sun Belt Champion Troy team and a C-USA Champion UAB. That would be a pretty attractive matchup though nothing's certain, of course, especially in respect to Troy's prospects as they still have a road game at App State. If I'm correct, an App win gives them the outright championship.

And as some have pointed out elsewhere, this announcement does not mean that the New Orleans Bowl will always take the Sun Belt Champion. They've not automatically done so in the past and there's no guarantee that they will in the future. With over 54,000 paid attendance, the New Orleans Bowl game betwee the Cajuns and the Wave, was the best all-time attendance-wise. The next 4 best attendance games also had the Cajuns as participants so I suspect the program will always be an attractive option for the NO Bowl if the Cajuns are bowl-eligible.

And finally, yes, I agree that we have some fans who discuss our eventual acceptance of a Big12 invite much like a few Tulane fans do.

Last edited by cajunfanatico on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:09 am
Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:15 am
That doesn't mean we won. It also doesn't erase one of the worst Pick 6's ever thrown by a Montana, whom set the tone for our old friend Tanner. We monted a furious comeback, and fell short when the best kicker in college football missed. It's a bitter pill for many of us, years later, and ULa-La's violations don't change the results in our minds.
I didn’t say we won, officially the result was “vacated,” neither side won. And yes, we had ULALA on the ropes, Santos made the first field goal try but it was taken off the board and then he missed the second.

And yes, when Nick Montana double pumped an out rout even the women we were with could see what was going to happen.

And, I believe most of ULALA’s NOLA bowl results were “vacated” by NCAA infractions.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Montana double pump 43:25 min mark. We were 3rd and 4 at their 17 yard line. Potential 14 point swing. Powell took a sack on 3rd down. Pushed the FG attempt back 10 yards just enough to make Cairo’s hook miss.
phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 am Montana double pump 43:25 min mark. We were 3rd and 4 at their 17 yard line. Potential 14 point swing.
phpBB [video]
As I've said before, it was a thing of beauty.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:54 am
And, I believe most of ULALA’s NOLA bowl results were “vacated” by NCAA infractions.
Yet another fail on your part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Bowl
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:41 pm Another snooze of a story! Just like the Ula-La womens basketball thread, why should we care?
No need to be so dismissive of ULL women's basketball. They played a tough game against our neighbor, and NOLA's own Dillard Blue Devils. Blue Devils came out on top, however, 72-69, in a heartbreaker.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 am
Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 pm So realistically, if U LA LA wins the the Sun Belt Conference championship game in future years the best bowl they can get to is the New Orleans bowl? If I remember correctly some Cajun fans were complaining about going to the New Orleans Bowl repeatedly under Coach HUD and they wanted a better bowl. Problem is the Sun Belt conference does not have a better bowl tie in. That’s when a couple of delusional Cajun fans were saying that eventually they would be invited to the Big 12 conference if they just kept on winning the New Orleans Bowl every year. LMFAO!!
In response to your question, the answer is "no", the best bowl the Cajuns can get is not just the New Orleans Bowl. Our "best bowl" scenario is the same best bowl Tulane would be eligible for after a great season under the current structure for those of us in the G5. Other possiblities may also exist in the future.
You're wrong regarding your "best bowl" scenario. You can't have it both ways. Sunami used the word "realistically". You applied it regarding Tulane, because you're assuming no G5 team can "realistically" ever make it to the CFP (see UCF). Why is that? Due to strength of schedule, according to the CFP. So now you need to apply that same qualifier to ULL. No matter what happens in the Sunbelt, even if a team were to go 13-0, including winning the championship game, that team will NEVER have a high enough CFP ranking to be higher than the best team in the rest of G5. Why? Because of SOS. Therefore, REALISTICALLY, the best you can ever get to under the current structure is the New Orleans Bowl.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wavemania
Surge

seeing some of that replay, what comes to mind is that Powell let himself go by not being in shape when CJ gave the treigns to his choir boy Lee.. Looking how the team played with Powell under center, he should have been given the starting gig the next season. If he faltered in the first few games then Lee gets a shot. But that fool just let Lee start and never took him out until he got hurt. Another what if that always seems to happen with Tulane. Ah, the life of being a Green Wave fan :oops: :wallbash:
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:29 am
You're wrong regarding your "best bowl" scenario. You can't have it both ways. Sunami used the word "realistically". You applied it regarding Tulane, because you're assuming no G5 team can "realistically" ever make it to the CFP (see UCF). Why is that? Due to strength of schedule, according to the CFP. So now you need to apply that same qualifier to ULL. No matter what happens in the Sunbelt, even if a team were to go 13-0, including winning the championship game, that team will NEVER have a high enough CFP ranking to be higher than the best team in the rest of G5. Why? Because of SOS. Therefore, REALISTICALLY, the best you can ever get to under the current structure is the New Orleans Bowl.
I'm assuming no G5 team can "realistically" ever make it to the CFP? Quite the contrary.

As an example, would an undefeated Cajun team this year have had a shot at that game?
Last edited by cajunfanatico on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 am
No need to be so dismissive of ULL women's basketball. They played a tough game against our neighbor, and NOLA's own Dillard Blue Devils. Blue Devils came out on top, however, 72-69, in a heartbreaker.
REALLY?? Geez, since I referenced the other thread, I'm surprised I didn't know that. :roll:
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:29 am
I'm assuming no G5 team can "realistically" ever make it to the CFP? Quite the contrary.

As an example, would an undefeated Cajun team this year have had a shot at that game?
Your response makes no sense. What's contrary about it? Absolutely NOT. An undefeated Cajum team would NOT have had a shot at the CFP, AND would not have a shot at the NY6 game either. SOS kills you. The CFP rankings factor SOS heavily into their formula. If an undefeated UCF team can't make the CFP, no way an undefeated ULL team does. And the NY6 bowl slot goes to the G5 team highest rated in the CFP rankings. An 11-1 UCF or 12-1 Cincinnati team would be higher ranked than an undefeated ULL team.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:16 am

Your response makes no sense. What's contrary about it? Absolutely NOT. An undefeated Cajum team would NOT have had a shot at the CFP, AND would not have a shot at the NY6 game either. SOS kills you. The CFP rankings factor SOS heavily into their formula. If an undefeated UCF team can't make the CFP, no way an undefeated ULL team does. And the NY6 bowl slot goes to the G5 team highest rated in the CFP rankings. An 11-1 UCF or 12-1 Cincinnati team would be higher ranked than an undefeated ULL team.
Perhaps we're talking about two different things, and if I misunderstood what you were saying, I apologize. But my point still stands.

From the start, I was referencing what some call the Access Bowl, which as you say, goes to the highest rated G5 team.. So, along those lines:

1) Would you consider the Access Bowl to be a "better" bowl than the New Orleans Bowl? (I most certainly would).

2) Are you suggesting that an undefeated Cajun team, that had won games against Miss State and Alabama (both on the road of course) would not have a shot at that game.....the Access Bowl?
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:29 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:16 am

Perhaps we're talking about two different things, and if I misunderstood what you were saying, I apologize. But my point still stands.

From the start, I was referencing what some call the Access Bowl, which as you say, goes to the highest rated G5 team.. So, along those lines:

1) Would you consider the Access Bowl to be a "better" bowl than the New Orleans Bowl? (I most certainly would).

2) Are you suggesting that an undefeated Cajun team, that had won games against Miss State and Alabama (both on the road of course) would not have a shot at that game.....the Access Bowl?
First, you'd never beat Alabama. And yes, even with them on the schedule and beating them, an undefeated ULL team wouldn't make the Access Bowl. SOS is 90. Even Tulane has an SOS of 70. A 12-1 Tulane team, with a loss to Ohio State would still go to the Access Bowl before a 13-0 ULL team.

So would a 12-1 Boise State team, whose SOS is 69, and only has 3 teams outside the top 100 on their schedule, as compared to ULL having seven (more than half your schedule).