Sun Belt Champion Headed to New Orleans Bowl

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 am

First, you'd never beat Alabama. And yes, even with them on the schedule and beating them, an undefeated ULL team wouldn't make the Access Bowl. SOS is 90. Even Tulane has an SOS of 70. A 12-1 Tulane team, with a loss to Ohio State would still go to the Access Bowl before a 13-0 ULL team.

So would a 12-1 Boise State team, whose SOS is 69, and only has 3 teams outside the top 100 on their schedule, as compared to ULL having seven (more than half your schedule).

LOL. You made the blanket statement that a Sun Belt team could NEVER make the Access Bowl. I gave you an example of an undefeated Sun Belt team that could theoretically make it this year and without knowing how other teams will finish the year, you refuse to believe that it could ever be possible.

Had Cincy lost to any of the powerhouse programs on their schedule like Miami of Ohio, or Ohio, or Alabama A&M, or UConn, or SMU.....or even East Carolina, then Cincy wouldn't even be in this conversation.. Same goes for UCF, same goes for Boise State, same goes for all the other G5's.

Even considering that SOS is an important metric in deciding who goes to the Access Bowl, it's not the only metric, no? And SOS change year in and year out.....no one has a lock on the top SOS.

I certainly don't know the future wins and losses of all Sun Belt teams, nor their strengths of schedule and I doubt you do either. If you want to argue that the AAC and the MWC have traditionally been stronger conferences in football and most likely to be in the competition for the Access Bowl most years, you won't get any argument out of me. But to say, or imply, that it's impossible for a Sun Belt team to ever make to that game is silly imho.

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Its impossible because there's ALWAYS going to be a team in one of the other 4 conferences that has a much stronger resume. Even a 12-1 Cincy with a loss to Miami OH would still go before an undefeated ULL that beat Alabama. Its the same dynamics as to why a G5 can't realistically ever make it to the CFP. Right off the bat, all P5's play at LEAST 8 games against other P5's. Some play 12 if you include a CG. I went over this in another thread. There are only 4-5 G5 schools with a strength of schedule at 70 or higher. Tulane is one. So EVERY P5 school has a SOS higher than virtually ALL G5s. System is biased from the get go. By the same token, there's ALWAYS going to be a highly ranked G5 team not from Sunbelt that would be taken for Access bowl before an undefeated SBC champ. Its the way the formula is built. Its why ALL the G5s need to be pressing for more access, or file a class action lawsuit against the CFP and the NCAA. They've effectively told 5000 student athletes that "if you go to one of these 65 schools (G5), you're not allowed to have a chance to win a national championship". Even FCS, Div II and Div III schools get that opportunity.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 am Its why ALL the G5s need to be pressing for more access, or file a class action lawsuit against the CFP and the NCAA. They've effectively told 5000 student athletes that "if you go to one of these 65 schools (G5), you're not allowed to have a chance to win a national championship". Even FCS, Div II and Div III schools get that opportunity.
On that we can agree Robert. On the rest we'll just have to agree to disagree. I learned a long time ago not to speak in absolutes when there are so many variables at play.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sorry, Robert but I disagree. IF (and that's a huge IF) an undefeated Sun Belt Conference champion gave Alabama it's only loss, and had another pelt on it's belt, like, say a win over Clemson, they'd get into the ESPN Invitational and play for the MNC ahead of a 1 loss AAC champion. UCF was held out because both last year and this year their biggest P5 opponent on the schedule was cancelled due to hurricanes.

It is much less likely to happen to a Sun Belt team than an AAC team, but it is not impossible. Improbable? For sure.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:19 am
Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:54 am
And, I believe most of ULALA’s NOLA bowl results were “vacated” by NCAA infractions.
Yet another fail on your part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Bowl
Oh well, just 2011 & 2013. :clap:
Wave755
Tsunami

And, with Troy & Appy State in the ‘Mighty Belt, it is very unlikely we will be seeing much of ULALA for future NOLA Bowls.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:25 am And, with Troy & Appy State in the ‘Mighty Belt, it is very unlikely we will be seeing much of ULALA for future NOLA Bowls.
Perhaps, though I suspect you're just setting yourself up for more future heartache.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:12 am Sorry, Robert but I disagree. IF (and that's a huge IF) an undefeated Sun Belt Conference champion gave Alabama it's only loss, and had another pelt on it's belt, like, say a win over Clemson, they'd get into the ESPN Invitational and play for the MNC ahead of a 1 loss AAC champion. UCF was held out because both last year and this year their biggest P5 opponent on the schedule was cancelled due to hurricanes.

It is much less likely to happen to a Sun Belt team than an AAC team, but it is not impossible. Improbable? For sure.
D, the CFP has made it perfectly clear those two lost games wouldn't have changed a thing. They wouldn't have gotten in if they won the cancelled game last year (was it Georgia Tech?) and they wouldn't get in this year if they had played and beaten North Carolina and went undefeated. They just won't. The CFP makes sure that SOS is enough of an issue to keep them out. Let's put it another way: Our SOS is 20+ places higher than UCF's is. If we had gone undefeated this season, with wins over Ohio State and Wake Forest, and defeated UCF in the AAC championship game, do you think at 13-0 we'd have gotten in? The short answer is no.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Your response has little to do with the post of mine you qouted. Well, ok, it addresses one issue, but the main point in my post you quoted was whether or not a Sun Belt Champion could make a NY6 bowl or the playoff.

I wasn't clear about UCF's chances to make it into the ESPN Invitational; Their chances ended when the top games on their schedule versus P5 teams were cancelled. I don't think that would have gotten them in, but not playing those games kept them out. Keep in mind it's not a recognized CFP by anyone other than ESPN (and the lion's share of college football fans they've sold the idea to) which televises the tournament. Until they go to 8, or possibly 16 teams, it's a made for TV event consisting of fun to watch exhibition games. If FCS, D2 and D3 can have a 16 or larger team playoff so can D1.

It's a made for TV event until they expand it. Go to 8 spots, and guarantee 3 to the best G5 champions, the other 5 to the P5 champions. Don't win your conference, you are out.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I just dont think they can, D. Yes, officially they can, but in reality they can't. I think there's always going to be someone in G5 with a better resume, whether true or perceived, because of strength of schedule. Its kind of the same argument they use to keep a G5 out of the CFP in the first place.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Wave QB wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 pm Here we go hating on other Bowl Games when we struggle to get in any!

I would take the NOLA Bowl any day of sitting in front of the TV watching everyone competing in the Bowl season. I am still pissed about us losing the ULL in the NOLA Bowl.
Plus 1
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 pm Go to 8 spots, and guarantee 3 to the best G5 champions, the other 5 to the P5 champions. Don't win your conference, you are out.

They didn't do that for the two-team BCS (Oklahoma '03, Alabama '11) or the four-team CFP ('bama again in '17) so what makes you think they would do it with eight spots available?

LOL at the idea of a one-loss Blueblood being left out while THREE G5 Champs get in.
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:51 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 pm Go to 8 spots, and guarantee 3 to the best G5 champions, the other 5 to the P5 champions. Don't win your conference, you are out.

They didn't do that for the two-team BCS (Oklahoma '03, Alabama '11) or the four-team CFP ('bama again in '17) so what makes you think they would do it with eight spots available?

LOL at the idea of a one-loss Blueblood being left out while THREE G5 Champs get in.
I don't think you'd ever get that concession. They're too concerned about an 8-5 conf champ getting in. For example, this season Northwestern is going to win the Big 10 West. They're currently 7-4 if they were to win their last game and the CG, they'd be 9-4, and the CFP would go nuts. They used to complain when the Big East sent schools with records like that.

I think the best we could hope for would be 8 teams: five P5 champs, one spot for Best of G5, and then two at-large. That guarantees winning your conference means something, it assures that every G5 has an actual chance to get to the CFP, and it allows two spots for the situation where an undefeated top 2-3 team loses in their conf champ game. No one gets left out, and it actually means more elite P5 teams get in.
Wave QB
Swell

Until we start going to Bowl Games more often, the Bud’s Broiler Bowl at Pan American would be a big deal for our program. Navy has us on life support right now. I would love to have been in ULL’s shoes during all of those NOLA Bowl wins and excitement/hype their program received on national television during the college bowl season. I hate staying at home while all of these 6 win teams are out bowling.
Wave QB
Swell

This crap still hurts! I want revenge in the NOLA Bowl. This was our house.

Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:40 pm Until we start going to Bowl Games more often, the Bud’s Broiler Bowl at Pan American would be a big deal for our program. Navy has us on life support right now. I would love to have been in ULL’s shoes during all of those NOLA Bowl wins and excitement/hype their program received on national television during the college bowl season. I hate staying at home while all of these 6 win teams are out bowling.
Wave QB, take solace that the 2013 NOLA bowl results were vacated due to major NCAA rule infractions committed by ULALA which included ACT fraud.
Wave QB
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:55 am
Wave QB wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:40 pm Until we start going to Bowl Games more often, the Bud’s Broiler Bowl at Pan American would be a big deal for our program. Navy has us on life support right now. I would love to have been in ULL’s shoes during all of those NOLA Bowl wins and excitement/hype their program received on national television during the college bowl season. I hate staying at home while all of these 6 win teams are out bowling.
Wave QB, take solace that the 2013 NOLA bowl results were vacated due to major NCAA rule infractions committed by ULALA which included ACT fraud.
Cute, but so what! We allowed them to win a game in our house and on National TV. The are still the 2012 NOLA Bowl Champions in the books. We didn’t beat them. We should’ve, would’ve and could’ve, but didn’t. It still hurts the fans who went in the dome to fight for our name and colors against a much bigger/better/more passionate crowd.

I wish we had those types of numbers in the stands on National TV, and one day made consecutive bowl appearances in the same venue as the Sugar Bowl and some National Champions Games like ULL did!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I wouldn't want to go to the New Orleans bowl four years in a row. That would signify no growth or improvement. Our sites should be set higher. We'd take it this year as making a bowl game is the first step.