ASU OC Billy Napier New ULALA Head Coach

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:56 am

Hopefully Waterboy Bobby Boucher (pronounced "Boo-shay") both approves and is pleased for this hire.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 955364001/


cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Image
According to reports, Napier's contract will be $1.47 million per year for five years and includes a $2 million pool for assistant coaches.


That pool for assistants is the most important number. It's a huge increase of past assistant salary pools.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Arizona State OL coach and Louisiana native Rob Sale headed to the Cajun program with Napier.

https://twitter.com/SunDevilSource/stat ... 6173294592
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18008
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:36 pm

cajunfanatico wrote:Image
According to reports, Napier's contract will be $1.47 million per year for five years and includes a $2 million pool for assistant coaches.


That pool for assistants is the most important number. It's a huge increase of past assistant salary pools.
Where in the hell is ULL getting that kind of money?
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3114
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:15 pm

ULL should be able to build a competitive sunbelt program.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:21 pm

tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:Image
According to reports, Napier's contract will be $1.47 million per year for five years and includes a $2 million pool for assistant coaches.


That pool for assistants is the most important number. It's a huge increase of past assistant salary pools.
Where in the hell is ULL getting that kind of money?
Dunno for sure but the RCAF and some big donors have to account for the majority of it. From what's being reported, combined head coach and assistant salary pool will rank 5th in the G5 group behind Boise State, Houston, Cincy, and one other....don't recall who.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:22 pm

DrBox wrote:ULL should be able to build a competitive sunbelt program.
Yeah, that's the target, being competitive in the Belt.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12630
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:49 am

tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:Image
According to reports, Napier's contract will be $1.47 million per year for five years and includes a $2 million pool for assistant coaches.


That pool for assistants is the most important number. It's a huge increase of past assistant salary pools.
Where in the hell is ULL getting that kind of money?
Actually his base is $900,000 and with incentives could get to $1.2 million.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6407
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:50 am

Still, if he has $2 million for assistants, he should be able to hand pick his staff. That's a good job by the AD at U-La-La. I wonder what the budget is for Tulane football coaching? I like the idea of extending Coach Fritz, so long as we make it difficult for him to leave. The assistants need to be paid along the lines of the rest of the AAC.

U-La-La is building a program by investing in coaching. They will be competitive again quickly. We should play them every other year.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3114
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 am

DfromCT wrote:Still, if he has $2 million for assistants, he should be able to hand pick his staff. That's a good job by the AD at U-La-La. I wonder what the budget is for Tulane football coaching? I like the idea of extending Coach Fritz, so long as we make it difficult for him to leave. The assistants need to be paid along the lines of the rest of the AAC.

U-La-La is building a program by investing in coaching. They will be competitive again quickly. We should play them every other year.
AAC schools are close to that, probably more. 10 assistants (including 2 coordinators and 1 assistant head coach) and 5 analysts will require that.

The sunbelt champ won 11 games and beat LSU. What, then, pray tell, is the goal, fanatico?
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 pm

DrBox wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Still, if he has $2 million for assistants, he should be able to hand pick his staff. That's a good job by the AD at U-La-La. I wonder what the budget is for Tulane football coaching? I like the idea of extending Coach Fritz, so long as we make it difficult for him to leave. The assistants need to be paid along the lines of the rest of the AAC.

U-La-La is building a program by investing in coaching. They will be competitive again quickly. We should play them every other year.
AAC schools are close to that, probably more. 10 assistants (including 2 coordinators and 1 assistant head coach) and 5 analysts will require that.

The sunbelt champ won 11 games and beat LSU. Your institutional peers are in the Belt, and a few in C-USA. What, then, pray tell, is the goal, fanatico?
From what's been reported, the $2MM salary pool for Cajun assistants ranks 5th in the G5's behind Boise State, Houston, Cincy, and UCF, though not necessarily in that order. I don't know if assistant salaries from privates like Tulane and SMU are included.

Cajun fans agree with Dave that this was a foward-thinking approach by AD Maggard, giving the new head coach the tools he needs to bring in top-notch assistants resulting in success.

While football absolutely drives the bus in most of college sports, "The Goal" Dr. Box, is a bit more complicated than just competing at the SunBelt level in that one sport. Lemme explain.

A couple of years ago, University President Dr. Savoie hired a national consulting firm to review our athletic program with the goal of improving all of our programs across-the-board. One of the results of that review was the replacement of AD Scott Farmer (very unpopular with most Cajun fans for his lack of aggressiveness), with our new AD Dr. Maggard.

Maggard is convinced that when the current round of TV rights expires in 2020, another significant reshuffling is likely to occur in college sports. He believes that under-performing G5 programs will draw the short straw and fall far behind and become separated from other better-performing G5 programs. The Cajun program does not plan to be one of those left behind. Athletic budget, facilities, coaching staffs, on-the-field-performance, attendance, branding, basicially everything, is now under the microscope under Dr. Maggard's watch and the improvements are becoming more evident every day. Just look at the progress he's made nationally on branding our athletic teams as the Lousiaiana Ragin Cajuns.

The firing of Hud at the end of the season and payout of $1.5 MM versus waiting until after Jan 1 and paying him $1 MM sent a clear signal to us Cajun fans that Maggard is dead serious about his goals. This football coach hire and the salary pool for his assistants is further evidence that we intend to compete at the highest levels possible.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
ccap05
High Tide
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:48 am
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 pm

I think this is a clear indication that ULLa (or whatever the current "branding" is) intends to fight its way back into contention for Sunbelt Conference Western Division title within a short couple of years. It is not too much to expect that we will soon see the Laffy Cajuns contesting the Dollar General Mobile Bowl soon and, with luck, returning to the NOLA bowl at some point. The interest in the Lafayette/Lake Charles area will surely grow if Laffy can overcome their great rivals in Monroe and we may see Laffy once again competing with the likes of Appy State, Troy and GaSt.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6407
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Unfortunately, Fanatico, it's not going to be a re-alignment on a school by school basis, but rather with the conferences. UL-L is NOT going to get a P5 (or P6) invite. Tulane probably isn't either, unless things change dramatically. And the TV contracts are mostly 2022-2024, not 2020. Winning the Sunbelt a few times won't get you there. Winning the AAC a few times will. But the sand is running through the hourglass quickly, and the time is NOW for Tulane to win in order to have a prayer. What's most likely to happen is 64 teams in 4 conferences of 16 each. The rest will be 1AA and will be in non-Power conferences and play for a separate national championship.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:13 am

DfromCT wrote:Unfortunately, Fanatico, it's not going to be a re-alignment on a school by school basis, but rather with the conferences. UL-L is NOT going to get a P5 (or P6) invite. Tulane probably isn't either, unless things change dramatically. And the TV contracts are mostly 2022-2024, not 2020. Winning the Sunbelt a few times won't get you there. Winning the AAC a few times will. But the sand is running through the hourglass quickly, and the time is NOW for Tulane to win in order to have a prayer. What's most likely to happen is 64 teams in 4 conferences of 16 each. The rest will be 1AA and will be in non-Power conferences and play for a separate national championship.
I don't know why you guys keep lecturing me on the impossibility of the Cajuns getting a P5 invite. I have NEVER pushed such an idea, EVER, and certainly didn't infer it in my post above. So please, stop. LOL

In fact, I was implying exactly what you've proposed Dave, a multi-conference restructuring from the AAC on down to reduce travel costs across all sports and ultimately secure the best TV deal possible via strong rivalry matchups within each conference. Our AD also believes this will be the case and wishes to position our program to best compete for a prime slot in this new line-up. I'm sure he's convinced that we'll be competing directly with Tulane's program for such a slot.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:56 pm

ccap05 wrote:I think this is a clear indication that ULLa (or whatever the current "branding" is) intends to fight its way back into contention for Sunbelt Conference Western Division title within a short couple of years. It is not too much to expect that we will soon see the Laffy Cajuns contesting the Dollar General Mobile Bowl soon and, with luck, returning to the NOLA bowl at some point. The interest in the Lafayette/Lake Charles area will surely grow if Laffy can overcome their great rivals in Monroe and we may see Laffy once again competing with the likes of Appy State, Troy and GaSt.
Once again we thank you for your continued and constant interest in all things Louisiana Ragin Cajun Athletics! It's an honor, and also humbling, to know that even from your lofty perch, guys like you and Wave755 never seem to miss an opportunity to comment on Louisiana's athletic program. Never, ever, underestimate what your words of encouragement and obvious caring mean to us. It's a clear signal, and we do appreciate it.

Since you guys seem to follow Louisiana Ragin Cajun athletics more closely than even I, you've probably already read this story, but I'll post it anyway. Louisiana Football Coach Billy Napier names his Defensive Coordinator.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor ... 982406001/
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:23 pm

New Ragin Cajun Head Football Coach Billy Napier sits down with the Advocate for a Q & A.
The people here are committed. This facility screams commitment. I think we’ve got great leadership, and I think it’s an outstanding opportunity.
http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/spo ... 0e704.html
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3114
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am

Conference alignment is mostly about institutional commonality, not who has the best football team.
ULL is in the sunbelt because its peer institutions are in the sunbelt and in C-USA.
The AAC schools, aside from overall playing very good spots, are also institutionally equal to the P5 (with maybe 1 exception) - that's why they claim P6. And, yes, a few in C-USA and MWC are also of that level. Just different educational missions.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 am

DrBox wrote:Conference alignment is mostly about institutional commonality, not who has the best football team.
ULL is in the sunbelt because its peer institutions are in the sunbelt and in C-USA.
The AAC schools, aside from overall playing very good spots, are also institutionally equal to the P5 (with maybe 1 exception) - that's why they claim P6. And, yes, a few in C-USA and MWC are also of that level. Just different educational missions.
I pity poor Rice stuck in CUSA with all of those academic pygmies. :shakingno: And, Houston will see to it Rice is never in the AAC.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:49 pm

DrBox wrote:Conference alignment is mostly about institutional commonality, not who has the best football team.
ULL is in the sunbelt because its peer institutions are in the sunbelt and in C-USA.
The AAC schools, aside from overall playing very good spots, are also institutionally equal to the P5 (with maybe 1 exception) - that's why they claim P6. And, yes, a few in C-USA and MWC are also of that level. Just different educational missions.
All true, assuming that model holds firm in the future.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Rumors: Jabbar Juluke New RB Coach & Recruiting Coordinator for Cajun football program.

If true, this should be another quality hire by Napier.

Here's an article about him after he was dumped by Orgeron.
New Orleans area coaches considering boycott against LSU

NEW ORLEANS — Is LSU close to losing one of its most fertile recruiting grounds within the state?

That might be what ultimately occurs on Thursday evening when several of the New Orleans Metro area high school football coaches gather to discuss a potential boycott of the LSU Tigers football program.

Several of the area’s black head football coaches are meeting to discuss how coach Ed Orgeron handled the demotion of running backs coach and New Orleans area recruiter Jabbar Juluke in the aftermath of National Signing Day.

Juluke, who was responsible for landing 3-star wide receiver Racey McMath and securing the commitments of 4-star quarterback Lowell Narcisse, 3-star tailback Clyde Edwards-Helaire and 3-star athlete Jontre Kirklin, was reassigned within the football program on Feb. 2, the day after signing day.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/new-orle ... oycott-lsu
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

It's official!!!!
LAFAYETTE, La. – Louisiana native Jabbar Juluke has joined the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns football staff, head coach Billy Napier announced on Tuesday. Juluke has been named an Assistant Head Coach and work with the running backs for the Cajuns after successful stints at Texas Tech and LSU.

"We took a huge step forward in our vision for the program with the hire of Jabbar Juluke," Napier said. "His relationships in this state and in particular in New Orleans will be huge for our recruiting strategy. Jabbar is a man of integrity and class. He is a quality coach and has a great track record in player development. I'm excited to see him make a difference with our young men as players and people. Let's welcome Jabbar, his wife Denise and their family to Lafayette!"

Prior to his time at Texas Tech, Juluke spent the 2016 season as the running backs coach at LSU under Les Miles. Juluke tutored one of the nation's top running backs while with the Tigers in Leonard Fournette, who battled through several injuries to rush for 843 yards and eight touchdowns over seven games. Fournette, the No. 5 overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft, still managed to earn second team All-SEC honors despite being limited through portions of conference play.

In Fournette's absence, Juluke mentored Derrius Guice, pushing the sophomore to 1,428 yards and 11 touchdowns on the ground as LSU's primary option out of the back field. Guice, who was named to the All-SEC first team, rushed for at least 250 yards twice during the 2016 campaign, becoming just the second player in SEC history to reach the mark multiple times in a single season.

Juluke began his college coaching career at Louisiana Tech where he helped push the Bulldogs to consecutive nine-win seasons and back-to-back postseason victories in the 2015 New Orleans Bowl and the 2014 Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl. It marked the first time Louisiana Tech had won back-to-back bowl games in school history.

Under Juluke's direction, Kenneth Dixon became one of the most prolific running backs in NCAA history. Dixon, who was selected in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft, ended his Louisiana Tech career as the NCAA's all-time leader among running backs for career total touchdowns (87), points scored (522) and games played with a touchdown (38).

Juluke coached Dixon for each of his final three seasons of his illustrious career which featured 3,410 rushing yards and 53 rushing touchdowns, both of which were school records. During his senior season alone, Dixon led the nation in scoring (14.2 points per game) and ranked second in touchdowns scored (26) for a Louisiana Tech offense that averaged 37.5 points per game.

In addition to his role as running backs coach, Juluke was heavily involved in Louisiana Tech's recruiting efforts where he helped haul in eventual 2017 NFL Draft picks in wide receivers Carlos Henderson (3rd Round: Denver Broncos) and Trent Taylor (5th Round; San Francisco 49ers) as well as safety Xavier Woods (6th Round; Dallas Cowboys).

http://www.ragincajuns.com/news/2018/1/ ... staff.aspx
Well-respected in the New Orleans area too so his hiring should help tremendously with recruiting in that area.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:23 am

Rumor now is that David Johnson is in Napier's crosshairs. Another big hire from the New Orleans area but I'll believe it when I see it officially reported. The guy apparently turned down LSU last year.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 am

cajunfanatico wrote:It's official!!!!
LAFAYETTE, La. – Louisiana native Jabbar Juluke has joined the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns football staff, head coach Billy Napier announced on Tuesday. Juluke has been named an Assistant Head Coach and work with the running backs for the Cajuns after successful stints at Texas Tech and LSU.

"We took a huge step forward in our vision for the program with the hire of Jabbar Juluke," Napier said. "His relationships in this state and in particular in New Orleans will be huge for our recruiting strategy. Jabbar is a man of integrity and class. He is a quality coach and has a great track record in player development. I'm excited to see him make a difference with our young men as players and people. Let's welcome Jabbar, his wife Denise and their family to Lafayette!"

Prior to his time at Texas Tech, Juluke spent the 2016 season as the running backs coach at LSU under Les Miles. Juluke tutored one of the nation's top running backs while with the Tigers in Leonard Fournette, who battled through several injuries to rush for 843 yards and eight touchdowns over seven games. Fournette, the No. 5 overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft, still managed to earn second team All-SEC honors despite being limited through portions of conference play.

In Fournette's absence, Juluke mentored Derrius Guice, pushing the sophomore to 1,428 yards and 11 touchdowns on the ground as LSU's primary option out of the back field. Guice, who was named to the All-SEC first team, rushed for at least 250 yards twice during the 2016 campaign, becoming just the second player in SEC history to reach the mark multiple times in a single season.

Juluke began his college coaching career at Louisiana Tech where he helped push the Bulldogs to consecutive nine-win seasons and back-to-back postseason victories in the 2015 New Orleans Bowl and the 2014 Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl. It marked the first time Louisiana Tech had won back-to-back bowl games in school history.

Under Juluke's direction, Kenneth Dixon became one of the most prolific running backs in NCAA history. Dixon, who was selected in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft, ended his Louisiana Tech career as the NCAA's all-time leader among running backs for career total touchdowns (87), points scored (522) and games played with a touchdown (38).

Juluke coached Dixon for each of his final three seasons of his illustrious career which featured 3,410 rushing yards and 53 rushing touchdowns, both of which were school records. During his senior season alone, Dixon led the nation in scoring (14.2 points per game) and ranked second in touchdowns scored (26) for a Louisiana Tech offense that averaged 37.5 points per game.

In addition to his role as running backs coach, Juluke was heavily involved in Louisiana Tech's recruiting efforts where he helped haul in eventual 2017 NFL Draft picks in wide receivers Carlos Henderson (3rd Round: Denver Broncos) and Trent Taylor (5th Round; San Francisco 49ers) as well as safety Xavier Woods (6th Round; Dallas Cowboys).

http://www.ragincajuns.com/news/2018/1/ ... staff.aspx
Well-respected in the New Orleans area too so his hiring should help tremendously with recruiting in that area.
Z Z Z
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 pm

The Napier-effect? This one's coming for a visit soon.

https://247sports.com/Player/Emmit-Gooden-36079

Doubt seriously we'll get him as he's been offered by AZ State, Louisville, Arkansas, and Moo State, but still nice to be in the conversation.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
Post Reply