Grambling finishes ranked

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10070
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Grambling finishes ranked

Postby winwave » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:28 am

Grambling finished #15 in the final FCS poll. Their coach has done a good job of reviving them.


It's the facilities stupid!

User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16234
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am

winwave wrote:Grambling finished #15 in the final FCS poll. Their coach has done a good job of reviving them.

Yep. Still in all we can't afford to lose to them next season. It would be devastating.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5006
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby DfromCT » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Grambling finished #15 in the final FCS poll. Their coach has done a good job of reviving them.

Yep. Still in all we can't afford to lose to them next season. It would be devastating.


It would be devastating. At the same time, I think we'd be double digit underdogs to a few of the very top teams in FCS. And I'd lay the points were we playing any of the semi-finalists (JMU, NDSU, E.Washington or Youngstown State.) You can no longer rest on the fact that Tulane has never lost to a D1AA (FCS) program. There are a few that are clearly stronger than we are right now, and would probably put a beating on us. They aren't in the bottom half of the FCS top 25; this backs your point, Tim. A loss to Grambling would be devastating.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16234
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:51 pm

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Grambling finished #15 in the final FCS poll. Their coach has done a good job of reviving them.

Yep. Still in all we can't afford to lose to them next season. It would be devastating.


It would be devastating. At the same time, I think we'd be double digit underdogs to a few of the very top teams in FCS. And I'd lay the points were we playing any of the semi-finalists (JMU, NDSU, E.Washington or Youngstown State.) You can no longer rest on the fact that Tulane has never lost to a D1AA (FCS) program. There are a few that are clearly stronger than we are right now, and would probably put a beating on us. They aren't in the bottom half of the FCS top 25; this backs your point, Tim. A loss to Grambling would be devastating.

I agree. But mostly because we can't afford to lose to a Louisiana FCS program.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10070
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby winwave » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:00 pm

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Grambling finished #15 in the final FCS poll. Their coach has done a good job of reviving them.

Yep. Still in all we can't afford to lose to them next season. It would be devastating.


No doubt. We need to win in convincing fashion by three scores or more. The team just needs to be aware and not take it for granted after what we did to Southern this season.


It's the facilities stupid!

Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Wave QB » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Grambling had Arizona down 21-3 at halftime before their starting QB, (Ole Miss transfer D. Kincade) got hurt. They lost 31-21 after giving the ball away 5 times in the second half. After that, they ran the table as expected. Grambling, (just like SLU in our last meeting), loaded up on FBS transfers last year.

Credit to their coach Broderick Fobbs for bring them back to their winning ways in the FCS world. I still don't think we lose this one.



User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Eaglewave » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 am

Kincade is a F'n beast at QB. He would have easily started here or plenty of FBS programs. Even the Ole Miss folks bragged about his QB IQ, however, he won't have the depth chart to beat us or give us a close game. Their coach has done a great job in bringing the back from the small college powehouse dead, but he doesn't have a good record vs non SWAC opponents. In fact, the SWAC doesn't win outside of the SWAC let alone beat FBS programs. Just like I promised y'all vs SLU a few years ago when every was scared, we are going to blow Grambling away early. Fritz won't allow this one to be close.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Sat May 27, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5006
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby DfromCT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 am

Although I think there's a small group of FCS teams that would blow out our Green Wave, Grambling is not one of them. I don't care if they were ranked, they don't have the OL and DL talent that NDSU, E. Washington, Youngstown State and JMU have. Those four programs fielded teams this past season that will probably see 25 players combined playing on Sundays. And the Champion JMU Dukes are returning a huge core, not to mention one of the best up and coming coaches in D1.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Eaglewave » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 am

DfromCT wrote:Although I think there's a small group of FCS teams that would blow out our Green Wave, Grambling is not one of them. I don't care if they were ranked, they don't have the OL and DL talent that NDSU, E. Washington, Youngstown State and JMU have. Those four programs fielded teams this past season that will probably see 25 players combined playing on Sundays. And the Champion JMU Dukes are returning a huge core, not to mention one of the best up and coming coaches in D1.


Don't get it twisted, they do have some talent. The had a FBS transfer boom last year that contributed to the near Arizona upset and their 12-1 season. I don't see them beating anyone of those teams above, but they do have some talent. Will they beat us? Heck no. Will it be a close game? Nope. Fritz should pound the ground on Grambling and force them to use their depth chart in the trenches. The best QB will be in a Grambling helmet, but it never matters when your depth chart just doesn't compare to a FBS program. Look for Grambling to make a few good play in a 3 or 4 TD defeat.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5006
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby DfromCT » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 am

Eaglewave wrote:Don't get it twisted, they do have some talent. The had a FBS transfer boom last year that contributed to the near Arizona upset and their 12-1 season. I don't see them beating anyone of those teams above, but they do have some talent. Will they beat us? Heck no. Will it be a close game? Nope. Fritz should pound the ground on Grambling and force them to use their depth chart in the trenches. The best QB will be in a Grambling helmet, but it never matters when your depth chart just doesn't compare to a FBS program. Look for Grambling to make a few good play in a 3 or 4 TD defeat.


I think we have the same assessment of Grambling, Eagle. I never said they didn't have talented players, just not the likes of the top 4 or 5 FCS teams. IMHO, the very top of the FCS would beat the bottom 1/3 of FBS 75% of the time.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby ajcalhoun » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm not saying we'll lose to Grambling, but we didn't we only suit up 59 players at the end of the season last year? I wouldn't count on us "out-depth-ing" anyone.

That said, I still think we win easily, just because of D1 talent vs. FCS talent starting.


Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee or Andy Cannizaro.

User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Eaglewave » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:03 am

Wow. Grambling had a WR drafted in the 3rd round this year. Impressive. I might have to take their talent more serious after what I saw from our spring game. Lol.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:21 am

Grambling just signed an Oregon State transfer. At this point, it's arguably unclear which team has a better roster - Tulane or Grambling. What is clear, however, is that Tulane would have an incredible team if it had DeVante Kincade.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... 101159080/



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5006
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby DfromCT » Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Grambling just signed an Oregon State transfer. At this point, it's arguably unclear which team has a better roster - Tulane or Grambling. What is clear, however, is that Tulane would have an incredible team if it had DeVante Kincade.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... 101159080/


I don't know about that. They graduated a slew of transfer players that lead them last year. Getting guys that were not going to see the field in P5 programs, unlike the team they had last year, is NOT making their roster better than ours.

Make no mistake, there is potential for our first ever FCS loss here. But the Grambling roster isn't what it was a year ago. And there's a handful of teams in FCS that are hands down better than Tulane. Grambling is not one of them. But it is only a matter of time before we lose to an FCS team. This might be the game that the streak ends, but there's no comparison between Grambling and the top FCS schools which clearly ARE better than we are.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Wave QB » Sat May 27, 2017 8:00 pm

This kid will be playing for the "G-Men" this year as well. I remember when Nick Saban was hot on this kid.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -recruit-0



User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Eaglewave » Sun May 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Wave QB wrote:This kid will be playing for the "G-Men" this year as well. I remember when Nick Saban was hot on this kid.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -recruit-0


He will get smashed by a FBS defensive front. You need to stop panicking like you did vs SLU.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10070
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby winwave » Mon May 29, 2017 12:20 am

Eaglewave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:This kid will be playing for the "G-Men" this year as well. I remember when Nick Saban was hot on this kid.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -recruit-0


He will get smashed by a FCS defensive front. You need to stop panicking before you get board like you did vs SLU.


Eagle you meant to say FBS front. We are FBS . They are FCS.


It's the facilities stupid!

User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Eaglewave » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:53 pm

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:This kid will be playing for the "G-Men" this year as well. I remember when Nick Saban was hot on this kid.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -recruit-0


He will get smashed by a FCS defensive front. You need to stop panicking before you get board like you did vs SLU.


Eagle you meant to say FBS front. We are FBS . They are FCS.


Auto text mistake. Thanks.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Wave QB » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

Eaglewave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:This kid will be playing for the "G-Men" this year as well. I remember when Nick Saban was hot on this kid.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -recruit-0


He will get smashed by a FBS defensive front. You need to stop panicking like you did vs SLU.


Not panicking at all. I am just putting it out that Grambling is back to being a good FCS program and the best thing the SWAC has to over in this era.



Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Wave QB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Keeyon Smart just transferred to Grambling.



User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling finishes ranked

Postby Eaglewave » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:25 am

K Smart? Grambling has been getting some Green Wave "woulda coulda" kids like Edward Williams and Dedrick Shy. They all had the size and talent to be all AAC players, but weren't focused academically. They thought Tulane was going to be a "we are on the football team" pass to professors. Sorry fellas, not here.

At the end of the day, Grambling is nothing more that a "pay pal" for tickets in Yulman. Just as Southern, Grambling will bring fans hoping to witness a FBS upset and their band will put on a good show. However, Grambling is a FCS program with a FCS roster and a FCS depth chart. There are a list of FCS opponent who worry me, but Tulane will never face them. Tulane will never lose to a SWAC program. Those teams never look good outside of their conference. Aruna is going to sling that Ole Miss transfer at QB all over the city on opening day once he blows past that FCS offensive line.

Hey Wave QB, I am worried about Oklahoma, not Grambling.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests