Tulane 48 LSU 7 Nov 1981

Share photos you've taken at the game or behind the scenes.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17552
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:37 am

I was there!
Image


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:47 pm
Location: Slidell,LA
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 am

Me too.
Image
BC Wave
Surge
Posts: 797
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 am

Me three.
Never had seen complete, unmitigated joy in my father before that night. (The exact moment came when we ran the fake field goal)
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11915
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:21 pm

BC Wave wrote:Me three.
Never had seen complete, unmitigated joy in my father before that night. (The exact moment came when we ran the fake field goal)
That was a glorious moment.
Find A Way!
User avatar
JTLiuzza
Swell
Posts: 1254
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:40 pm

What the heck is that hanging from the shelf, a mastodon tooth? :)
T1B2TW
High Tide
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:09 am
Location: Planet Earth
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

I'll never forget leaving the stadium that night and the TU radio color guy (Rick Kingrea I think) on the saying that after TU made it 48 late in the game that he would have onside kicked and gone for more! :)
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 am

T1B2TW wrote:I'll never forget leaving the stadium that night and the TU radio color guy (Rick Kingrea I think) on the saying that after TU made it 48 late in the game that he would have onside kicked and gone for more! :)
It might have made sense, except LSU put extra men up front and absolutely drilled our kicker whom caught the fake fg for a TD. I think it was Tony Wood.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 am

The kicker was Vince Manalla. I was doing the color with Steve Wolis for WTUL's broadcast, and when Vince Gibson sent out the field goal unit, he had Mike McKay in as holder, so we called the fake right away. I mean, everyone in the Dome knew it was on -- except the Tigers. A more thorough ass-kicking I have not again seen. We only had two questions afterward: How in hell did it happen, and why didn't we do that every game that season. Of course, we took it to LSU again the next season at their place, and also knocked them off in hoops at the Deaf Dome in 1981 (in the NIT?) A fantastic time to be a Greenie!
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:52 am

MicMan wrote:The kicker was Vince Manalla. I was doing the color with Steve Wolis for WTUL's broadcast, and when Vince Gibson sent out the field goal unit, he had Mike McKay in as holder, so we called the fake right away. I mean, everyone in the Dome knew it was on -- except the Tigers. A more thorough ass-kicking I have not again seen. We only had two questions afterward: How in hell did it happen, and why didn't we do that every game that season. Of course, we took it to LSU again the next season at their place, and also knocked them off in hoops at the Deaf Dome in 1981 (in the NIT?) A fantastic time to be a Greenie!
The kicker was Tony Wood, a true Freshman who may not have been the primary kicker that year. Manalla was a senior. I met Tony over breakfast at the Hilton on 9/6/14, we discussed the play. He didn't score, he got tackled at the 1 yard line. Something I didn't recall. I did remember LSU putting 10 men on the line and drilling him on the ensuing kick off. They broke his nose, according to Tony.

Yes, the basketball game in Baton Rouge was in the NIT. Dale Brown had just that season ended the series with Tulane. With our Green Wave holding a 10 point lead late in the game, and most of the LSU faithful headed to the exits, the 100 or so Tulane Fans in the building, myself and roommate included, were chanting "Dale Brown sucks" loud enough that friends listening to the radio back in New Orleans could hear it!

Roll Wave
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:05 pm

From e-yearbook:

"After a Catanese drive stalled on the LSU 33 yardline, barefooted place kicker Vince Manalla trotted out onto the field to attempt a 50 yard field goal, or so it seemed. McKay, who was the holder, took the snap and threw a completion to Manalla over the middle. Manalla, with only one shoe, hobbled to the LSU 1 yardline." Wood, incidentally, kicked the extra point.

http://www.e-yearbook.com/yearbooks/Tul ... e_106.html
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:39 pm

MicMan wrote:From e-yearbook:

"After a Catanese drive stalled on the LSU 33 yardline, barefooted place kicker Vince Manalla trotted out onto the field to attempt a 50 yard field goal, or so it seemed. McKay, who was the holder, took the snap and threw a completion to Manalla over the middle. Manalla, with only one shoe, hobbled to the LSU 1 yardline." Wood, incidentally, kicked the extra point.

http://www.e-yearbook.com/yearbooks/Tul ... e_106.html

OK, then Tony Wood, an honorable gentleman lied to my face. I don't think so. I would bet it's a mistake in the yearbook rather than Tony lying to me.

OR

Perhaps I misunderstood Tony as well, and that Manalla caught the pass and Tony kicked off afterwards and had his nose broken!!

MicMan are you class of 85? That was my year.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11915
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:52 pm

DfromCT wrote:
MicMan wrote:From e-yearbook:

"After a Catanese drive stalled on the LSU 33 yardline, barefooted place kicker Vince Manalla trotted out onto the field to attempt a 50 yard field goal, or so it seemed. McKay, who was the holder, took the snap and threw a completion to Manalla over the middle. Manalla, with only one shoe, hobbled to the LSU 1 yardline." Wood, incidentally, kicked the extra point.

http://www.e-yearbook.com/yearbooks/Tul ... e_106.html

OK, then Tony Wood, an honorable gentleman lied to my face. I don't think so. I would bet it's a mistake in the yearbook rather than Tony lying to me.

D I think it's the latter. No doubt Manalla ran the fake. Wood kicked off and had his nose broken for what Manlla did.

OR

Perhaps I misunderstood Tony as well, and that Manalla caught the pass and Tony kicked off afterwards and had his nose broken!!

MicMan are you class of 85? That was my year.
Find A Way!
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:35 pm

1984. Not trying to show you up or anything, I don't think he's lying. I remember Manalla catching that pass and hobbling to the goal line. He wore a big rubber band from his toes to his ankle, and actually kicked straight-on with the underside of his toes. I have to say, that's the first I heard of Tony Wood getting pummeled on the kickoff, and I'd never heard he had a broken nose. As a former sportswriter, I've heard athletes embellish their recollections years later, for a better story. Sparky Lyle autographed a vintage photo for my son, and said he had a cheeseburger in his glove when the photo was taken. C'est la sportif.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11915
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Just realized I messed up my post above by burying my comment in the middle of D's post :

D I think it's the latter. No doubt Manalla ran the fake. Wood kicked off and had his nose broken for what Manlla did.
Find A Way!
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 am

Wood's beatdown was weird karma. Remember, Manalla was jumped by another TU player prior to the 1980 season and received a number of stitches in his head.
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:52 pm

MicMan wrote:Wood's beatdown was weird karma. Remember, Manalla was jumped by another TU player prior to the 1980 season and received a number of stitches in his head.
He got jumped by the punter. Vince Manalla was also a punter & he was in competition with "the perp" for the punting position. Very strange
Ernie McCracken
Ripple
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:52 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:58 pm

How far we have fallen since then!
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Yeah, I was there also. 10 years old. I remember the LSU fan in front of me started cheering after the fake. We ended up giving him a green shaker and he took it and jumped up an down waving it for a while. He gave it back and left. I was also in TS in 82 and at the NIT game. I honestly don't think I would be posting here today were it for those moments
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Funny the things you remember as a kid. I was also at Moreau over Memphis in fogelman. I remember looking up and seeing Memphis coach just sobbing out on the court. Nowhere to hide in there.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17552
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Anybody coming to the game this Saturday stop by the Greenbacker tent. We have the entire game on DVD and we play it, the 1973 and the 1982 highlights on a TV during our tailgate. We absolutely crushed them in 1981. Should have been a shutout. I watched that 1981 game at our last home game vs Houston. We were all commenting about the difference in talent we now have today.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:49 pm

The "highlite" below is still my favorite, I was proud to be in the "North End Zone" and I wish it was still there ...judging from the video, I would say there were many proud Tulane Fans, Professors, Board Members and Staff at the event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgm0RZKP ... re=related
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:51 pm

I wish I had the computer skills...I would put a Tulane High Lite going all the way back to the Rose Bowl and e mail it to each Tulane Board Member

here is one from the Rose Bowl...please note Helmets were not required to play...Tulane in the light colored uniforms

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... v7cVZYgGZg

If someone with superior FaceBook knowledge you can see the complete Tulane -USC Rose Bowl Game

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... kMeUl39WtA
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Also a little insight on what happened in regards to the second Rose Bowl invite and to play Temple in the first Sugar Bowl

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... hfAEaqZ7kA
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:42 pm

I saw that game from the Terrace Level on about the 40 yard line. After the game in celebration we went to Port of Call and had steaks at the bar and then finished the night at the Old Absinthe House on Bourbon.

Truly a great memory and the game itself a near “out of body experience.” A night I will never forget.
Post Reply