Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
greenphantom
Swell

Wavetime wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:Ha. Willie Fritz to Kansas. I suppose Tanner Lee will be his offensive coordinator.
This was a great quote!!! Have to give you kudos on this one!!!
The playbook would probably end up in the opponent's hands

Wavetime
Swell

Just thinking out loud on this beautiful Sunday Morning.

UCF - I really feel for the fans there. It appears that Scott Frost loved the UCF environment and was really torn about leaving. Heck, maybe I'm wrong, but he was obviously emotional after the Memphis game and during his press conference. It just really sucks for UCF and their fans. This whole situation reeks of the Tommy Bowden deal, except, as I just mentioned, Frost appeared to have handled it much better than 'ol Tommy Boy. Everyone knows their AD, Danny White, is smart and will make a good replacement choice.

Tennessee - What an embarrassment! This whole situation, whatever side you are on, is just bad for College Football! Watch Les Miles get that job and flourish over there! I've always been much more of a Les Miles fan than an LSU fan (heck, I'm not an LSU fan!). I've always thought that Les had integrity. Interesting that Cutcliff turned down the job, good for him and good for Duke!

Nebraska - They hit the jackpot. I really think Frost will do well.

Memphis - I believe Norvell will be gone. Maybe I'm wrong.

Florida St - They must be humbled this morning. The mighty Florida St! Winner of several National Championships and can't afford their coach. I don't know if I'm happy for them for maybe standing up and saying NO! or if they they really can't afford it. Either way, is Jimbo really that good?

Texas A&M - What are they thinking? 75 Million dollars? I wouldn't want to be a professor over there!!

Kevin Sumlin - This is personal with me. I've always thought that his Houston teams played extremely dirty. I'll never forget the time we played them in Houston and their DE was the only player that didn't stop after the whistle was blown and took our our QB (Joe Kemp)out with a very late hit (broke his collarbone)! Then the son of a gun starts to celebrate! The university didn't even discipline the kid.....I don't wish any harm to Mr. Sumlin, just not a fan!

LSU - Wonder how long their OC, Matt Canada, will stay? Already some friction with Coach O. Not a fan of Coach O!

Tulane - I don't miss this! I sure hope Coach Fritz is extremely successful and also wants to stay! A fan can dream can't he??!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU would love it for Les to get the Tennessee job. They’d be off the hook for close to $8 milllion of his buyout. So whatever Tennessee pays Les, LSU will deduct from their payment to him.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

Wavetime wrote:Just thinking out loud on this beautiful Sunday Morning.

UCF - I really feel for the fans there. It appears that Scott Frost loved the UCF environment and was really torn about leaving. Heck, maybe I'm wrong, but he was obviously emotional after the Memphis game and during his press conference. It just really sucks for UCF and their fans. This whole situation reeks of the Tommy Bowden deal, except, as I just mentioned, Frost appeared to have handled it much better than 'ol Tommy Boy. Everyone knows their AD, Danny White, is smart and will make a good replacement choice.
Gently disagree on Frost's perceived "class." He could have told UN to call him Sunday because he had one last thing to take care of at work. His agent could have done the Kabuki dance in the meantime with UN officials. Instead his team can't even enjoy a post-game celebration without Frost stepping on it and showing it's all about me. (Timing for team was probably in-game. I bet team knew on sideline that Frost was gone during the game.) You don't think UN would have waited?

Yet because it's P5 Nebraska, everyone "understands" and especially ESPN mid-game. Contrast this with Ed Conroy termination. Remember the new one, ESPN announcer (Doris Burke?) ripped Troy Dannen and Tulane admin for letting word leak Conroy was gone during a conference playoff game before season was over? How "classless" that was? It gave Doris (?) a chance to grandstand at a smaller school's expense with no downside to her.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

look for Florida State to hire a minority Coach, no matter how bad he is....Tennessee and Arkansas can do a lot worse than Les Miles, and have done so in the past....I think UCF will hire from within the State of Florida and it won't be Jim McIwane....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:look for Florida State to hire a minority Coach, no matter how bad he is....Tennessee and Arkansas can do a lot worse than Les Miles, and have done so in the past....I think UCF will hire from within the State of Florida and it won't be Jim McIwane....
I don’t understand the bolded.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
Wavetime wrote:Just thinking out loud on this beautiful Sunday Morning.

Gently disagree on Frost's perceived "class." He could have told UN to call him Sunday because he had one last thing to take care of at work. His agent could have done the Kabuki dance in the meantime with UN officials. Instead his team can't even enjoy a post-game celebration without Frost stepping on it and showing it's all about me. (Timing for team was probably in-game. I bet team knew on sideline that Frost was gone during the game.) You don't think UN would have waited?

Yet because it's P5 Nebraska, everyone "understands" and especially ESPN mid-game. Contrast this with Ed Conroy termination. Remember the new one, ESPN announcer (Doris Burke?) ripped Troy Dannen and Tulane admin for letting word leak Conroy was gone during a conference playoff game before season was over? How "classless" that was? It gave Doris (?) a chance to grandstand at a smaller school's expense with no downside to her.
Except for the fact that it's not true that's a good story. Everyone knew he was gone here that needed to know. The media was late to the party b/c they don't care about Tulane coaching changes.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hud canned at ULL
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Hud canned at ULL

I didn't see that coming....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Les Miles next :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wavetime wrote:

Should have. We have a new AD who's serious and the president is letting him do his job.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

When Fritz get's this thing turned around, I think we can keep him--it will just take a big check. If he wants security, he can't find a better place than Tulane. If he competes for the AAC championship periodically, and gets us into a bowl game in most years, we will be building statues to him while he's still here. If he and his wife likes living in N.O., there couldn't be a better place for a guy his age. He could become the Bill Snyder of Tulane, and coach into his 80's. If he goes to a P5 school, he won't last five years--like most coaches don't. Jimbo Fisher won't last more than five years at aTm, as aTm will always struggle in the SEC just like Arkansas and Mizzou always will.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:When Fritz get's this thing turned around, I think we can keep him--it will just take a big check. If he wants security, he can't find a better place than Tulane. If he competes for the AAC championship periodically, and gets us into a bowl game in most years, we will be building statues to him while he's still here. If he and his wife likes living in N.O., there couldn't be a better place for a guy his age. He could become the Bill Snyder of Tulane, and coach into his 80's. If he goes to a P5 school, he won't last five years--like most coaches don't. Jimbo Fisher won't last more than five years at aTm, as aTm will always struggle in the SEC just like Arkansas and Mizzou always will.
Good points!
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:look for Florida State to hire a minority Coach, no matter how bad he is...
:roll:
Wavetime
Swell

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

Should have. We have a new AD who's serious and the president is letting him do his job.

I really don't pay that much attention to the Cajuns. Guess I need to start.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

This has nothing to do with having a new AD that's serious and everything to do with Hud not producing any more.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:look for Florida State to hire a minority Coach, no matter how bad he is...
roll the eyes all ya want...but I will be very surprised if a 'minority" is not hired...I may be wrong, but then again I may be right..and no matter who is hired, I wish them all the best...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
roll the eyes all ya want...but I will be very surprised if a 'minority" is not hired...I may be wrong, but then again I may be right..and no matter who is hired, I wish them all the best...
That's not what you said. You said "no matter how bad" ......
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Wavetime wrote:

This has nothing to do with having a new AD that's serious and everything to do with Hud not producing any more.
I beg to differ from the standpoint that I'm convinced Hud would have been kept on for at least another year if Scott Farmer was still in charge. We've had a long history of po' boying it by keeping under-performers on too long. I believe that has changed. Hud's buyout today is $1.5 MM, dropping to $1 MM after 1 Jan. I can't imagine Farmer pulling that trigger for $500,000 because he was generally too short-sighted......penny-wise, pound-foolish as the saying goes.

President Savoie brought in a sports consulting firm to evaluate the program. They made their recommendations, and he's following those recommendations.....one of which was to hire a competent AD and then get out of his way. Dr. Bryan Maggard, our new AD, is very well-liked and respected by our fans. Many believe we're transitioning from a good ole boy's club to a professionally-run organization. Maggard's next hire should tell us a lot about where he intends to take the program.

I wish Hud well. He raised the bar for us in many ways and gave us a glimpse of what winning can do for a program. Hud was also responsible for the new APC getting completed according to original plans. But, Hud also had his warts, and with the program going in the wrong direction, it was time to cut the chord.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Ruski
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:When Fritz get's this thing turned around, I think we can keep him--it will just take a big check. If he wants security, he can't find a better place than Tulane. If he competes for the AAC championship periodically, and gets us into a bowl game in most years, we will be building statues to him while he's still here. If he and his wife likes living in N.O., there couldn't be a better place for a guy his age. He could become the Bill Snyder of Tulane, and coach into his 80's. If he goes to a P5 school, he won't last five years--like most coaches don't. Jimbo Fisher won't last more than five years at aTm, as aTm will always struggle in the SEC just like Arkansas and Mizzou always will.
Mizzou won the SEC east in 2 out of their first 3 years...
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
That's not what you said. You said "no matter how bad" ......
no matter how bad...could be Sumlin, that's a bad hire...but it looks like Taggart, Strong or Fuentes ....
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote:LSU would love it for Les to get the Tennessee job. They’d be off the hook for close to $8 milllion of his buyout. So whatever Tennessee pays Les, LSU will deduct from their payment to him.
That is one hell of a good way for Les Miles to attract a quality staff. Allocate several hundred thousand to the assistant coaches and a million or two to each coordinator. No skin off his nose.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
I still don’t understand this line of reasoning. Sumlin and Taggart are two of the best coaches on the market point blank, so it’s unclear why there’s a need to reference their racial background.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
I still don’t understand this line of reasoning. Sumlin and Taggart are two of the best coaches on the market point blank, so it’s unclear why there’s a need to reference their racial background.
'zombie...unless i misread the article, the FSU President stated he wanted a "minority" as the next HC...I do not think Sumlin is that good..Taggert could be the answer...but a minority hire could be someone with an Hispanic background..thus Fuentes...David Shaw is not leaving Stanford and James Franklin is not leaving Penn State...the margin for error, under his guideline, is very fine based on the number of minority Head Coaches or ex HC's available...memo to FSU...Curtis Johnson, may be available
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:LSU would love it for Les to get the Tennessee job. They’d be off the hook for close to $8 milllion of his buyout. So whatever Tennessee pays Les, LSU will deduct from their payment to him.
That is one hell of a good way for Les Miles to attract a quality staff. Allocate several hundred thousand to the assistant coaches and a million or two to each coordinator. No skin off his nose.
Yes. Could really work well.
Tulane Class of 1981