Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's shameful that SMU replaced Morris with Dykes. SMU and UCF each had an opportunity for huge hires and they both blew it. That's not to say that their coaches won't work out, but it is to say that there were better options available at the time.
I won't say it is shameful...but it is damn surprising.... but then again , Dykes may have promised never to leave, and had a 'King Cake" delivered to the Presidents office, for all to enjoy...on second thought, make it BBQ Sandwhich's
Yep -sounds like that kind of deal.
on the SMU recruiting front...and the "experienced factor
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... ert-weighs

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... rience?f=r

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JMU Coach is not going anywhere....until he is....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -extension
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I wonder what the buyout is if he decides to leave? Mike Houston is a very good coach. I also wonder if this isn't a clue that JMU is once again thinking about moving up to FBS? They made overtures to do so a couple of years ago and then declined an invite to a certain G5 conference because it wasn't geographically or financially the right move for them at that time. It's kind of odd that this was announced today, in the middle of the playoffs.

By the way, anyone that thinks Tulane would beat any FCS opponent should watch the semi-finals this weekend. It's very good football, and these four remaining teams would be extremely tough to beat even playing in Yulman or a neutral site. I would bet JMU and North Dakota State would be double digit favorites against our Green Wave. And yes, I know we've never lost to an FCS school, we're one of many FBS schools that can make that claim. And we've never played one close to as good as JMU or NDSU.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I wonder what the buyout is if he decides to leave? Mike Houston is a very good coach. I also wonder if this isn't a clue that JMU is once again thinking about moving up to FBS? They made overtures to do so a couple of years ago and then declined an invite to a certain G5 conference because it wasn't geographically or financially the right move for them at that time. It's kind of odd that this was announced today, in the middle of the playoffs.

By the way, anyone that thinks Tulane would beat any FCS opponent should watch the semi-finals this weekend. It's very good football, and these four remaining teams would be extremely tough to beat even playing in Yulman or a neutral site. I would bet JMU and North Dakota State would be double digit favorites against our Green Wave. And yes, I know we've never lost to an FCS school, we're one of many FBS schools that can make that claim. And we've never played one close to as good as JMU or NDSU.
Good analysis about quality teams in FCS overall but I don't think you bet enough football. I would take Tulane and ten points anywhere, anytime against any FCS opponent. So would most every pro better in Vegas. It's not so much the quality in players difference (which does exist between FCS and FBS) as it is having 20 extra scholarship players.

Grambling has won 22 of its last 23 games with the only loss to Tulane by more than four touchdowns and you want to make Tulane the dog? Sorry but in football ten is a mountain of points especially in these type matchups.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I wonder what the buyout is if he decides to leave? Mike Houston is a very good coach. I also wonder if this isn't a clue that JMU is once again thinking about moving up to FBS? They made overtures to do so a couple of years ago and then declined an invite to a certain G5 conference because it wasn't geographically or financially the right move for them at that time. It's kind of odd that this was announced today, in the middle of the playoffs.

Good analysis about quality teams in FCS overall but I don't think you bet enough football. I would take Tulane and ten points anywhere, anytime against any FCS opponent. So would most every pro better in Vegas. It's not so much the quality in players difference (which does exist between FCS and FBS) as it is having 20 extra scholarship players.

Grambling has won 22 of its last 23 games with the only loss to Tulane by more than four touchdowns and you want to make Tulane the dog? Sorry but in football ten is a mountain of points especially in these type matchups.
\

And Grambling would get beat like a slow race horse by JMU or NDSU. ECU got beat badly AT HOME by JMU this season. NDSU has beaten RANKED FBS teams in the past couple of years. And I bet there's a whole lot of "pro betters in Vegas" that would lay the points, they know something about these top FCS teams, you clearly do not. Watch the games this weekend. Then come back and tell me Tulane wouldn't be a heavy underdog. I would be willing to bet you haven't seen either JMU or NDSU play.
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

\

And Grambling would get beat like a slow race horse by JMU or NDSU. ECU got beat badly by JMU this season. NDSU has beaten RANKED FBS teams in the past couple of years. And I bet there's a whole lot of "pro betters in Vegas" that would lay the points, they know something about these top FCS teams, you clearly do not. Watch the games this weekend. Then come back and tell me Tulane wouldn't be a heavy underdog. I would be willing to bet you haven't seen either JMU or NDSU play.
I've seen them both play. Good teams. Don't really know why you're inflating them by offering 10 points or more against Tulane. It's like saying the best Euroleague teams would be favored against average or even bad NBA teams instead of saying they would be generally competitive and sometimes win. (Historically in their occasional matchups, the Euroleague teams have won about 20% of the time.)

Again I would take Tulane and ten points on the FCS home field or Claiborne neutral ground or wherever against any FCS opponent. Yes if they played 100 times, Tulane would cover 80+ times (didn't say win 80+; that's not the odds you proposed) and I would bankrupt the sporting book.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We shall agree to disagree. Common opponent this year: ECU. Both teams played at ECU. JMU beat the Pirates by 20 points, we beat them by 7, in OT. They're D1 football teams, not Euroleague vs. NBA. And both JMU and NDSU have histories of beating FBS teams. NDSU has won their last three against Big 12 competition. The Bison are 9-3 since 2006 against FBS schools, and most, if not all of the FBS teams they've faced are better programs than Tulane. As a matter of fact, most of NDSU's games against FBS schools were P5's. What's our record vs. P5 schools over the same stretch? Last I checked is was nowhere near 9-3. Hell we got blown out by a bad Rutgers team just a few years ago. We've never lost to an FCS team because we've never played one of the best.

I'm not inflating the strength of JMU or NDSU, I'm pointing out that we're not a very good FBS team.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Rumor Central, has J.J. McCleskey being added to the Tulane Football Coaching Staff...an announcement maybe made before the end of the week, unless it is not
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:Rumor Central, has J.J. McCleskey being added to the Tulane Football Coaching Staff...an announcement maybe made before the end of the week, unless it is not
Like.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sounds good. Could become our ST coach.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:We shall agree to disagree. Common opponent this year: ECU. Both teams played at ECU. JMU beat the Pirates by 20 points, we beat them by 7, in OT. They're D1 football teams, not Euroleague vs. NBA. And both JMU and NDSU have histories of beating FBS teams. NDSU has won their last three against Big 12 competition. The Bison are 9-3 since 2006 against FBS schools, and most, if not all of the FBS teams they've faced are better programs than Tulane. As a matter of fact, most of NDSU's games against FBS schools were P5's. What's our record vs. P5 schools over the same stretch? Last I checked is was nowhere near 9-3. Hell we got blown out by a bad Rutgers team just a few years ago. We've never lost to an FCS team because we've never played one of the best.

I'm not inflating the strength of JMU or NDSU, I'm pointing out that we're not a very good FBS team.
Agreed (to disagree :!: ) I simply emphasize the quantity of 20 extra FBS schollies over your able argument for FCS quality. As I said if they lined up 100 times, I would only need to be right on Tulane and 10 points, sixty or so times to become a wealthy man. All mindless speculation while we await recruiting results next week. Roll Wave (which I know we agree on.)
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:Sounds good. Could become our ST coach.

I like this on a few levels. NFL cred. Local ties. This might be the missing link for WFs staff.
Ruski
Swell

McClesky has made quite a few Tulane tweets/retweets over the last 5 days. I could envision him being a stud recruiter. Onward and upward!
Jaxwave
Swell

Where is he coming from? Is his son committed to Ok St?
capwave
High Tide

Jaxwave wrote:Where is he coming from? Is his son committed to Ok St?
His son went to St.Pauls in Covington and is a pretty damn good WR at Oklahoma State. I know he trains some of the best D1 prospects in this area and I believe he is a coach for the Bootleggers seven on seven team.
capwave
High Tide

He would have some major connections with local coaches. I think this would be a homerun if Tulane gets him.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's shameful that SMU replaced Morris with Dykes. SMU and UCF each had an opportunity for huge hires and they both blew it. That's not to say that their coaches won't work out, but it is to say that there were better options available at the time.
I hope that SMU is happy with Dykes given how bad SMU is being beaten by LaTech. A loss there really doesn't look good for the AAC, even when the coaching change is factored in.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Football Scoop mentions only two candidates for the Kansas opening: Les Miles and Willie Fritz .

We are better off short and long term keeping Coach Fritz and staff. Hopefully we will win the persuasion battle when Kansas offers.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:08 pm Football Scoop mentions only two candidates for the Kansas opening: Les Miles and Willie Fritz .

We are better off short and long term keeping Coach Fritz and staff. Hopefully we will win the persuasion battle when Kansas offers.
http://footballscoop.com/news/update-ka ... andidates/
nawlinspete
Riptide

This thread NOW needs to be moved to THE HUDDLE....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:08 pm Football Scoop mentions only two candidates for the Kansas opening: Les Miles and Willie Fritz .

I am somewhat amused that an AD leaves a school in the SEC, for Kansas of all places....I may be incorrect, but I think he hired both Petrino and Bielema....now I understand why is in Kansas
GreenLantern
Riptide

Let's play the what-if game: Imagine if Tulane should win 2 of the next 3 games followed by a decent bowl appearance (without even discussing the possibility of competing for the conference championship). If Coach Fritz should then leave, there's a very strong argument to be made that Tulane is in a much, much better position than when he arrived. He would not be leaving an empty cupboard and the football program has made positive growth albeit not nearly as quickly as we wanted.

That scenario might provide just enough taste of success to make the Tulane administration (as well as the coaching community) realize that it can be done here. Follow that with a strong coaching hire and I maintain that coach Fritz's departure could be a fabulous opportunity for Tulane football. No one likes change and I'm not advocating for the Coach's departure. However, it wouldn't be the end of the world and could usher in a new and exciting era for Tulane football.

In the meantime, let's hope to finish the year with multiple wins, a great bowl showing, and a great recruiting class. With that scenario realized, I would shake Coach Fritz's hand and wish him the best as he prepares to leave for *gasp* Kansas.
msdos
Swell

I’ll chime in with a hot take.

If Willie left, the cupboard would be more “bare” than what CJ left
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm Let's play the what-if game: Imagine if Tulane should win 2 of the next 3 games followed by a decent bowl appearance (without even discussing the possibility of competing for the conference championship). If Coach Fritz should then leave, there's a very strong argument to be made that Tulane is in a much, much better position than when he arrived. He would not be leaving an empty cupboard and the football program has made positive growth albeit not nearly as quickly as we wanted.

That scenario might provide just enough taste of success to make the Tulane administration (as well as the coaching community) realize that it can be done here. Follow that with a strong coaching hire and I maintain that coach Fritz's departure could be a fabulous opportunity for Tulane football. No one likes change and I'm not advocating for the Coach's departure. However, it wouldn't be the end of the world and could usher in a new and exciting era for Tulane football.

In the meantime, let's hope to finish the year with multiple wins, a great bowl showing, and a great recruiting class. With that scenario realized, I would shake Coach Fritz's hand and wish him the best as he prepares to leave for *gasp* Kansas.
If Willie thinks it’s been hard turning Tulane around, he doesn’t know what hard is until he tries to turn Kansas around. I wonder if any of Willie’s entourage might be back channeling with Kansas connections? Could that explain the recent indifference he has shown?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:17 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm Let's play the what-if game: Imagine if Tulane should win 2 of the next 3 games followed by a decent bowl appearance (without even discussing the possibility of competing for the conference championship). If Coach Fritz should then leave, there's a very strong argument to be made that Tulane is in a much, much better position than when he arrived. He would not be leaving an empty cupboard and the football program has made positive growth albeit not nearly as quickly as we wanted.

If Willie thinks it’s been hard turning Tulane around, he doesn’t know what hard is until he tries to turn Kansas around. I wonder if any of Willie’s entourage might be back channeling with Kansas connections? Could that explain the recent indifference he has shown?
Lets not forget Willie brought in his type of players that may not fit the coaching style of a new coach. Let me remind all of you Willie's lst year was a step back as several players left that did not fit Willies style of play. He did not have enough players to have full practices. Now results are showing as he recruited his style of players, only 12 players are left from CJ's recruits.