Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wavetime wrote: Here ya go. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
I guess Tulane pay is near the bottom. With WF making $1.2 million.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Looks like Tulane is slightly ahead of ECU, USF and UConn in salary. Temple doesn't report on this list, but their coach was making $1m as an asst at Florida before taking the job, so I'd imagine it's more than what WF's base salary is.
And USF doesn’t really count due to Strong’s payments from Texas and how it impacted what USF needed to pay to bring him on board.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:That didn't last long.
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/sta ... 9922811905 https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/sta ... 5969224704
CFN's take;
http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/12/ ... for-oregon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:Chad Morris is headng to Arkansas. SMU's on the hunt again.
I wonder if Morris gets this job if Banks is ruled to have gotten into the end zone. Without that win, SMU is 6-6, not 7-5. Perception-wise, 7-5 is a lot better. Also, Morris's record at SMU would be 13-23. As it is, 14-22 is pretty weak. I think the hire says more about Arkansas than Morris. Regardless, the fact that coaches with these kinds of records are still being hired away from the conference for decent P5 jobs shows the AAC is getting respect as a tough place to play and win. The one thing that has been lacking is ability to show it in bowl games against quality P5s.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Morris brought in his P5 and JUCO mercenaries for a short term pop, which he barely got with the hideous goal line call. He will definitely cash in with the first offer he gets. I agree, him going to Arkansas says a lot more about where Arkansas stands than where Morris stands--similar to the embarrassing fiasco at Tennessee. You look at the bottom half of these P5 conferences, and it just screams for a system of relegation, similar to what England's Premier Soccer League does.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and the winner of the Arkansas Coaching Derby is

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2017/dec/ ... /?breaking

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... rris-coach

The former UH AD was so impressed with the good Major he did not even bother to ask him to come to Arkansas...I guess Major was Tillman Ferrita's choice
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
1989alum
Low Tide

Any fear that SMU comes calling on Fritz?
galvezwave
Swell

1989alum wrote:Any fear that SMU comes calling on Fritz?
Nah. Once he gets it turned around he'll draw interest. But he's too old to move laterally , IMO. Fritz will either lose and get fired from here or win and go p5. Just like all the rest.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Too many younger and in a sense higher profile type OC's and DC's out there....but CJ and Chris Scelfo are available
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Too many younger and in a sense higher profile type OC's and DC's out there....but CJ and Chris Scelfo are available
That's not a very attractive job either.
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
The Scelfos have far too strong of an ethical character to fluorish there. SMU needs a coach such as Hugh Freeze or Bobby Petrino.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:Morris brought in his P5 and JUCO mercenaries for a short term pop, which he barely got with the hideous goal line call. He will definitely cash in with the first offer he gets. I agree, him going to Arkansas says a lot more about where Arkansas stands than where Morris stands--similar to the embarrassing fiasco at Tennessee. You look at the bottom half of these P5 conferences, and it just screams for a system of relegation, similar to what England's Premier Soccer League does.
In theory, the relagation idea is a very good one. In practice, it's got a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. I cannot blame Morris for leaving, he's not a young coach and has to take advantage of his opportunities. I don't think his hiring would have changed if he was 6-6 versus 7-5 as I'm sure the AD at Arkansas knew how close he was to being 6-6. But again, I don't fault him at all for taking a higher profile job and a HUGE increase in pay.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
1989alum
Low Tide

I remain a fan of Chris Scelfo and am surprised he has not had better opportunities. If my memory serves me correctly, he was making good progress here and we won the Hawaii bowl in '02 before Cowen shat the bed with his D1 review in '03 which understandably hurt recruiting, fan support, coaching energy, etc. And then Katrina was the nail in his coffin.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
The Scelfos have far too strong of an ethical character to fluorish there. SMU needs a coach such as Hugh Freeze or Bobby Petrino.
I was going to list Freeze, but he has to serve a two game suspension and I am not sure SMU know's how to handle those situations !!
ajcalhoun
Swell

1989alum wrote:I remain a fan of Chris Scelfo and am surprised he has not had better opportunities.
I still like Chris Scelfo and I hate the bashing he gets on this site but you just can't punt on third down.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
1989alum wrote:I remain a fan of Chris Scelfo and am surprised he has not had better opportunities.
I still like Chris Scelfo and I hate the bashing he gets on this site but you just can't punt on third down.
The third down punt will haunt him, though he's not the first coach to do so (nor will he be the last!) If you read his book about the Katrina season, you'll always appreciate what he did for Tulane football in a year that no coach has ever faced anything close to such adversity. He knew early in the season that his kids, (removed from families and relatives that had suffered devastation and loss of life and living in a dorm that should have seen it's last students years prior, playing 11 road games) were spent. I don't think Chris ranks among the top 5 Tulane coaches for X's and O's, but I think he's the best Coach we've had in terms of helping approximately 100 student athletes deal with a devastating situation totally beyond his, or anyone's control. Rick Dickson's finest hours were in the months post-Katrina and following the Devon Walker injury. I'm not a big fan of either Scelfo or Dickson (less so of Dickson) but their work in these situations should never be overlooked.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jaxwave
Swell

Upon his firing, I emailed Coach Scelfo and thanked him for the wonderful job he did post Katrina. I pointed out to him that he will never have an accomplishment in his life to match that year. He deserves our everlasting gratitude.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dallas Morning News... SMU pool of Coaches

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... morris?f=r

a second article, with a nice pic of SMU's Stadium

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... kansas?f=r
Aberzombie1892
Swell

SMU should just hire Sumlin or Kiffin (or Meacham!) at this point, but, given how the AAC has made curious hires over the last couple of years (i.e. UCF and Houston), SMU may find a way to bypass big name coaches and hire a nobody.
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:
He was wholly unqualified for the job when Cowen hired him over RR in 1998 (coached only the OL at Georgia), but just when he was coming into his own as a HC and having won the Hawaii Bowl in 2002, Cowen pulled the rug out from under him for the 2003 review. Then, on August 29, 2005 Katrina struck.

So I do feel sorry for how Cowen treated Scelfo and believe Scelfo certainly did his best under those circumstances and conditions presented by Cowen and came through for Tulane post-Katrina when everyone thought Cowen might use the hurricane as a second chance for ending the football program.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote:Dallas Morning News... SMU pool of Coaches

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... morris?f=r

a second article, with a nice pic of SMU's Stadium

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... kansas?f=r
While you're reading these, take a look at the other article set forth below which includes Chad's five biggest wins during his career at SMU - I'll reveal 3 of them for you (beating Tulane, Tulsa, and Cincy all in 2017). Makes Willie's wins against Army and Houston in 2017 look stellar by comparison.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... is-era-smu
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
MicMan
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
The third down punt will haunt him, though he's not the first coach to do so (nor will he be the last!) If you read his book about the Katrina season, you'll always appreciate what he did for Tulane football in a year that no coach has ever faced anything close to such adversity. He knew early in the season that his kids, (removed from families and relatives that had suffered devastation and loss of life and living in a dorm that should have seen it's last students years prior, playing 11 road games) were spent. I don't think Chris ranks among the top 5 Tulane coaches for X's and O's, but I think he's the best Coach we've had in terms of helping approximately 100 student athletes deal with a devastating situation totally beyond his, or anyone's control. Rick Dickson's finest hours were in the months post-Katrina and following the Devon Walker injury. I'm not a big fan of either Scelfo or Dickson (less so of Dickson) but their work in these situations should never be overlooked.
Chris Scelfo wrote a book? Oh yeah -- "Things I Learned After It Was Too Late".
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755
Tsunami

MicMan wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Chris Scelfo wrote a book? Oh yeah -- "Things I Learned After It Was Too Late".
Fourth and New Orleans: How Tulane Football Survived the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - Sports Publishing LLC (October 1, 2007).
https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-New-Orlea ... 1596702370
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It looks like Willie Fritz is on SMU’s list of candidates.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 918470/Amp