CFP BS

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wavetime
Swell

I'm sitting here watching the Ohio St./Wisconsin halftime highlights and the talking heads were discussing who should and shouldn't be in the playoffs. To a man the 4 announcers said that Ohio St. should be in the playoffs because their resume is better than Alabama's. The reason that they are saying is because if Ohio St wins they would be the conference champion.

So, let's rewind the clock, Penn St. beats Ohio St last year. Penn St. wins the Big 10 last year. The committee votes in Ohio St. over Penn St.

I'm so tired of this cra$. Expand the playoffs to 8 teams (AAC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, 2 at large) and let's do it right.

Hornetswave
Low Tide

I agree totally
Dave breslin
Swell

The only way the No Clue At All(NCAA) will move is if one of the “big boys” complains or it affects the $$ for them. If the big 10 gets screwed again , it may help others than the P5. But don’t hold your breath
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just a thought. I think we should be pulling for OSU to get in instead of Alabama. Would hate to have to visit Columbus and face a Buckeyes team with a chip on its shoulder.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Just a thought. I think we should be pulling for OSU to get in instead of Alabama. Would hate to have to visit Columbus and face a Buckeyes team with a chip on its shoulder.
let's see OSU got it's collective ass kicked by 30+ by 5 loss Iowa...lost at home to OU .. but Urban will scream loud and clear, "we are the BIG Champs"....of course last year he screamed, yelled and kicked that being the "BIG Champ" was not that BIG of a deal and Penn State should be left out...and fyi, I don't think anything about this year, will affect next years game...usually those who yell and scream the loudest, are the most undeserving...and have to yell and scream just to get your attention, because their record does not
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bama in. To play Clemson in Sugar Bowl.
Rematch from last year’s Championship game.
NOLA has to be happy. The Sugar will sellout now.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Big 10 must be melting down after being left out with two SEC schools in.
RobertM320
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Big 10 must be melting down after being left out with two SEC schools in.
Wasn't it Urban Meyer that last year was saying that just being conference champs wasn't as important as the overall resume?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Looks like AAC will get a decent shot to prove our worth vs P5s this time around.

UCF vs Auburn
USF vs Texas Tech
Memphis vs Iowa State
and
Houston going to Hawaii to face Fresno State, who's also in the CFP rankings.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:Looks like AAC will get a decent shot to prove our worth vs P5s this time around.

UCF vs Auburn
USF vs Texas Tech
Memphis vs Iowa State
and
Robert, you properly left SMU out of that line up--they should be shunned by all.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Looks like AAC will get a decent shot to prove our worth vs P5s this time around.

UCF vs Auburn
USF vs Texas Tech
Memphis vs Iowa State
and
Bowl game
Frisco Bowl SMU-Louisiana Tech
Gasparilla Bowl Temple-FIU
Birmingham Bowl South Florida-Texas Tech
Hawaii Bowl Houston-Fresno State
Military Bowl Navy-Virginia
Liberty Bowl No. 20 Memphis-Iowa State
Peach Bowl No. 12 UCF-No. 7 Auburn

Looking at some of these matchups, the AAC could easily have one of the worst bowl records in the nation for the third season in a row.
Ruski
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

UCF vs Auburn
USF vs Texas Tech
Memphis vs Iowa State
and
Bowl game

Looking at some of these matchups, the AAC could easily have one of the worst bowl records in the nation for the third season in a row.
Hopefully the big difference is that AAC teams will have their coaches in the bowl games this year. Frost is gone, but supposedly might still coach the bowl. Norvell has surprisingly been left out of coaching rumors for the most part. That might change but even so Temple/USF/Houston/Navy should all have their coaches that got them there. With 4 p5 matchups instead of the usual 1/2 this is a bowl season where the AAC can really extend the p6 narrative.

Huge opportunity. It's up to this conference to take advantage of it!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

UCF vs Auburn
USF vs Texas Tech
Memphis vs Iowa State
and
Bowl game

Hopefully the big difference is that AAC teams will have their coaches in the bowl games this year. Frost is gone, but supposedly might still coach the bowl. Norvell has surprisingly been left out of coaching rumors for the most part. That might change but even so Temple/USF/Houston/Navy should all have their coaches that got them there. With 4 p5 matchups instead of the usual 1/2 this is a bowl season where the AAC can really extend the p6 narrative.

Huge opportunity. It's up to this conference to take advantage of it!
Exactly

@HoustonWave - I left SMU out because they're playing LaTech. I was focusing on our P5 opportunities.
RobertM320
Green Wave

To me, the key to any narrative is going to be UCF-Auburn. We all need to hope UCF reps us well. The pressure is all on Auburn. The rest of the P5 teams the AAC plays are 6-6, 7-5 type teams, and will be used against us by saying they're not top tier programs. If UCF can beat Auburn, the entire narrative may change.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:To me, the key to any narrative is going to be UCF-Auburn. We all need to hope UCF reps us well. The pressure is all on Auburn. The rest of the P5 teams the AAC plays are 6-6, 7-5 type teams, and will be used against us by saying they're not top tier programs. If UCF can beat Auburn, the entire narrative may change.
It's rediculous that if any ESPN talking head mentions UCF/Auburn at all, they're already starting to make excuses for Auburn saying it will be difficult for them to get motivated to play a g5..... COLLUSION!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It's good to see that the majority of the bowls are against P5s, but I'm more concerned about the G5 bowls because that is where the AAC seems to consistently fail.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:To me, the key to any narrative is going to be UCF-Auburn. We all need to hope UCF reps us well. The pressure is all on Auburn. The rest of the P5 teams the AAC plays are 6-6, 7-5 type teams, and will be used against us by saying they're not top tier programs. If UCF can beat Auburn, the entire narrative may change.
It's rediculous that if any ESPN talking head mentions UCF/Auburn at all, they're already starting to make excuses for Auburn saying it will be difficult for them to get motivated to play a g5..... COLLUSION!
Are they already saying that? Then its a pretty bad indictment of Auburn and Gus Malzahn if they can't get up for a top ten undefeated team.
anEngineer
Riptide

Unfortunately, I think it's a bad match up for UCF. Kerryon Johnson should be healthy and I don't see UCF defense stopping an upper tier power running game. Auburn would control the ball, the clock and keep the UCF offense off the field. I hate that there are often 80-100 points scored in high end AAC games. It underscores the small number of REAL quality defensive players there are and that there about 20-30 teams that get almost all of them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote:I'm sitting here watching the Ohio St./Wisconsin halftime highlights and the talking heads were discussing who should and shouldn't be in the playoffs. To a man the 4 announcers said that Ohio St. should be in the playoffs because their resume is better than Alabama's. The reason that they are saying is because if Ohio St wins they would be the conference champion.

So, let's rewind the clock, Penn St. beats Ohio St last year. Penn St. wins the Big 10 last year. The committee votes in Ohio St. over Penn St.

I'm so tired of this cra$. Expand the playoffs to 8 teams (AAC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, 2 at large) and let's do it right.
Unfortunately, if/when they expand to 8, it will be P5 champions and 3 at large. That could very often leave the AAC on the outside, as always, looking in. MAYBE (and that's a big MAYBE) this year UCF would have an argument to get in, but with Frost gone (they've named an interim HC) who knows how well they'll do vs. Auburn?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'd be willing to accept one spot for the best of G5, if there's not one just for the AAC. But until all FBS schools have a legitimate shot at competing for a national title, I think this is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. As long as the CFP Committee has subjective criteria to use in selecting the teams, a G5 will NEVER get in, period.

This whole concept of a "committee" choosing the "four best teams" leaves too much to chance. I'd rather have a team get in that maybe didn't deserve it (like when the Big East got a BCS bid for an 8-4 conf champ), than have truly deserving teams not get in. Make the selection quantitative. Five conference champs, best of G5, two at larges. That's the best, most equitable solution for everyone.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I'd be willing to accept one spot for the best of G5, if there's not one just for the AAC. But until all FBS schools have a legitimate shot at competing for a national title, I think this is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. As long as the CFP Committee has subjective criteria to use in selecting the teams, a G5 will NEVER get in, period.

This whole concept of a "committee" choosing the "four best teams" leaves too much to chance. I'd rather have a team get in that maybe didn't deserve it (like when the Big East got a BCS bid for an 8-4 conf champ), than have truly deserving teams not get in. Make the selection quantitative. Five conference champs, best of G5, two at larges. That's the best, most equitable solution for everyone.
I would buy into that. But you know if there's two deserving G5 champions, the "committee" would find a way to screw one of them to the benefit of a non P5 champ.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I'd be willing to accept one spot for the best of G5, if there's not one just for the AAC. But until all FBS schools have a legitimate shot at competing for a national title, I think this is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. As long as the CFP Committee has subjective criteria to use in selecting the teams, a G5 will NEVER get in, period.

I would buy into that. But you know if there's two deserving G5 champions, the "committee" would find a way to screw one of them to the benefit of a non P5 champ.
I'm sure they would. But I think the most we can possibly hope for is one spot. At least with one guaranteed spot, every G5 does have a legitimate shot at the CFP. Win your conf and make sure your schedule is as strong as possible.That setup would also make the P5s more willing to play G5s because SOS wouldn't matter as much to them any more. Win their conf and they're in.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

With the B1G and the PAC getting left out you might finally see some movement on this issue. If so I'm sure Aresco will do his best to make sure that at the least the G5 gets one spot.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Mike Leach explains how to expand the playoff field.
https://www.facebook.com/SWXRightNow/vi ... 996055833/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Mike Leach explains how to expand the playoff field.
https://www.facebook.com/SWXRightNow/vi ... 996055833/
Like the guy on TMZ..."I'm a Lawyer'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !