Miss State Baseball Recruiting

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote: One more addition to Tulane's long list of "What Might Have Been"
Yep, almost (since football is king) right up there with Hindman Wall not hiring Lindy Infante in 1980 and Cowen saying no to RichRod in 1998.
When it comes to hires, we seem to lay a big egg every 18 years.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
McWave
High Tide

Perfect Game ranked MSU's 2015 recruiting class #2 as well. Vandy was #1.
McWave
High Tide

It appears current MSU AD (John Chen) was the head baseball from 2009 -2016. So the 2015 #2 Perfect Game recruiting class ranking would be attributed to Mr. Cohen. Show Me where Cohen never had a #2 recruiting class. And I am very happy for Andy and Jake. Enjoyed cheering for them when they played/coached at TU. While we are at it,who would be responsible for TU’s 2014 98th Perfect Game baseball recruiting rank?
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote:It appears current MSU AD (John Chen) was the head baseball from 2009 -2016. So the 2015 #2 Perfect Game recruiting class ranking would be attributed to Mr. Cohen. Show Me where Cohen never had a #2 recruiting class. And I am very happy for Andy and Jake. Enjoyed cheering for them when they played/coached at TU. While we are at it,who would be responsible for TU’s 2014 98th Perfect Game baseball recruiting rank?
Ok. Andy did it in his first year. Cohen took 6.
And to Cohen’s credit he hired Andy.
McWave
High Tide

Since no one showed me who was responsible for TU's 98th ranked 2014 recruiting class, I did a little research. Jake was TU's Baseball Assist. Coach/Recruiting Coord. from 2010 - 2014 (RJ was head coach). DP and staff took over after the 2014 season.
TU recruiting classes (2011-2014) per perfect Game: 2011 ranked 58th, 2012 ranked 81st, 2013 ranked 5th, 2014 ranked 98th (Perfect Game does not have a 2010 ranking.)
I am happy for Jake/Andy at MSU. The favorable recruiting environment at MSU blow TU away. Jake did an masterful job with the 2013 recruiting season but that was it. And as I've read here, 2013 handcuffed DP's recruiting.
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote:Since no one showed me who was responsible for TU's 98th ranked 2014 recruiting class, I did a little research. Jake was TU's Baseball Assist. Coach/Recruiting Coord. from 2010 - 2014 (RJ was head coach). DP and staff took over after the 2014 season.
TU recruiting classes (2011-2014) per perfect Game: 2011 ranked 58th, 2012 ranked 81st, 2013 ranked 5th, 2014 ranked 98th (Perfect Game does not have a 2010 ranking.)
I am happy for Jake/Andy at MSU. The favorable recruiting environment at MSU blow TU away. Jake did an masterful job with the 2013 recruiting season but that was it. And as I've read here, 2013 handcuffed DP's recruiting.
You conveniently left out Andy’s Top 10 classes he brought in while at LSU. Yes their environment is also favorable but that’s no fault of his. Can’t wait to see Jewett bring in a #5 class.
Pepper
Swell

The only 3 things we know for sure are:

1. Vandy can still recruit top 5 classes.
2. Miss St is recruiting top 5 classes.
3. Tulane is still trying to figure out how to recruit.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
McWave
High Tide

I also forgot his 2015 recruiting class as well (LSU ranked 67th). Andy was hired in July 2014. MSU was ranked #2 in 2015. LSU 2018 class is ranked #3. MSU #2 like they were in 2015. Great job Andy! But to compare his recruiting rankings at LSU and MSU to any coach at TU isn’t reasonable.
McWave
High Tide

Andy had two recruiting classes at LSU (2015 and 2016). Only 2016 ranked in the top 10 (#4). Show me where Andy had top ten recruiting classes (plural) at LSU. He had one.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:Since no one showed me who was responsible for TU's 98th ranked 2014 recruiting class, I did a little research. Jake was TU's Baseball Assist. Coach/Recruiting Coord. from 2010 - 2014 (RJ was head coach). DP and staff took over after the 2014 season.
2013 class also made scholarships scarce for the 2014 class that Gaut brought in. That coupled with RJ retiring and Gaut not being retained caused the best player in the class to leave. Gaut didn't get a chance to build on the great class he brought in.
If you feel it's unfair to compare Jewett's recruiting to Miss. St, he should atleast be held to the standard of bringing in top 25 classes.
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote:Andy had two recruiting classes at LSU (2015 and 2016). Only 2016 ranked in the top 10 (#4). Show me where Andy had top ten recruiting classes (plural) at LSU. He had one.
:o only 1 in 2 years. Excuse me.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Pepper wrote:The only 3 things we know for sure are:

1. Vandy can still recruit top 5 classes.
2. Miss St is recruiting top 5 classes.
3. Tulane is still trying to figure out how to recruit.
Why would any recruit, with choices, opt to sign with a coach that micromanages how you wear your pants, socks, and Lord knows what else?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
McWave
High Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
2013 class also made scholarships scarce for the 2014 class that Gaut brought in. That coupled with RJ retiring and Gaut not being retained caused the best player in the class to leave. Gaut didn't get a chance to build on the great class he brought in.
If you feel it's unfair to compare Jewett's recruiting to Miss. St, he should atleast be held to the standard of bringing in top 25 classes.
How was the 2014 recruiting class hurt by RJ retiring and Jake not being retained? The class would have signed in Nov. 13 or Feb. 14. Both RJ and JG were at TU then. If the best recruit left after the personnel changes how would that effect the recruiting rank? Who left? I get the impact on 2015 (DPs first recruiting class and ranked 58th). By the way DPs first class was 8 spots higher than LSU (67th).

Well I hope MSU is ready for a 98th rank recruiting class next year since all the schoollies are tied up in 2015 (#2) and 2017 (#2) recruiting classes (sarcasm). I am sure MSU will do fine just like LSU. I understand MSU has TOPS program similar to LSU. Cost is the absolute deterrent to quality recruiting at TU. Sitting out transfer requirements, legislative scholarship changes, etc have all changed the landscape from 2005 and 2001. Getting tuition down is the best way to compete in recruiting for TU. The endowment needs to grow. 2016 FY should have a good return. Hopefully that trickled down to tuition stability.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Here's how the 2014 class was hurt, the classes are re-ranked in August when they actually know who will be on campus. Class rankings before the kids have decided whether or not they'll go pro are worthless. If you didn't realize that, then you probably don't know much about college baseball recruiting.
Zach Warren was the star of the class that left, I believe for the University of Tennessee.
McWave
High Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:Here's how the 2014 class was hurt, the classes are re-ranked in August when they actually know who will be on campus. Class rankings before the kids have decided whether or not they'll go pro are worthless. If you didn't realize that, then you probably don't know much about college baseball recruiting.
Zach Warren was the star of the class that left, I believe for the University of Tennessee.
So all this stuff about top #2 2018 class for MSU is crap because we don’t know who will be there is September. Got it. All of you who are praising Andy/Jake’s 2018 class...you parable don’t know much about college recruiting. See you in September.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Correct. It means nothing if these guys don't actually make it to school.
McWave
High Tide

Zach Warren appeared in 8 games for Tennessee in 2015. How does he sign with TU in 2014, leave because RJ/JG depart, and play for UT during the 2015 season? Perfect Game has him as UT commit in 2014 not TU.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Pretty simple and basic stuff. Warren asked Pierce to let him out of his Letter of Intent, he did and was free to sign wherever he wanted. Nothing confusing about it. A quick google search will show you that Warren did originally sign with Tulane.
McWave
High Tide

RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

2013 was gauts first class where he was in charge of recruiting. Was #5. Then his next class had Zach warren who was with team usa last yr. was a stud. Also had top 2 players in the state of Louisianna who went elsewhere one who is tearing it up at LSU. We wouldve had two back to back top 25 classes in gauts 1st two yrs as recruiting coordinator.

Once Rick jones stepped down 10 games into the season and AD did not retain the staff everyone bounced and I don't blame them. Gaut was not recruiting the leftovers 2 years after everyone else has been committed....he was going after the stars that everyone wanted and landing them when they were fresh/soph in hs.

Man has our program fallen or what. We can't even get guys over ULL in baseball now....never thought I'd see the day....sad. This AD needs to step up. We need to do renovations every year to our baseball facilities etc to keep up or we will just keep going further backwards.
McWave
High Tide

[quote="RollWaveRoll"]2013 was gauts first class where he was in charge of recruiting. Was #5. Then his next class had Zach warren who was with team usa last yr. was a stud. Also had top 2 players in the state of Louisianna who went elsewhere one who is tearing it up at LSU. We wouldve had two back to back top 25 classes in gauts 1st two yrs as recruiting coordinator

So 2013 was not the recruiting impediment some on this board claim. If what you say is true, DP should have had better recruiting classes in 2015 and 2016.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

For accuracy sake it was not the #5 class. That lies been told way too many times. It originally was #55. Got bumped to 27 when other teams lost good players to the pros. If it ever reached #5 it was after many readjustments after bringing in transfers over the next few years like Oakley who was very highly rated but never did anything.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Our 2013 class that Jake signed was ranked #23. Pierce came in and added 2 players to that class Dehart and Oakley and that bumped it up to #5 when all was said and done by Perfect Game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Amazing how for most of the work week this thread, and then the one about a satirical story on an obscure website the tongue in cheek has Fritz going to Kansas, gets more posts and views than the ECU game thread.

The Pirates may be down since they foolishly fired their coach at the end of the 2015 season, but we've been playing then regularly for a long time now, and ECU Football is a proud program that for the most part has had our number, going 11-3 versus the Wave.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Amazing how for most of the work week this thread, and then the one about a satirical story on an obscure website the tongue in cheek has Fritz going to Kansas, gets more posts and views than the ECU game thread.

The Pirates may be down since they foolishly fired their coach at the end of the 2015 season, but we've been playing then regularly for a long time now, and ECU Football is a proud program that for the most part has had our number, going 11-3 versus the Wave.
Frustration thread.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981