Miss State Baseball Recruiting

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
chain gang x man
Swell

https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/ ... 7406477313

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wow!
No. 2 in their (Andy & Jake) first full recruiting season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

:roll: and the hits just keep on coming
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm not renewing my baseball season tickets this year. I may go to a couple games but that's the extent of my commitment. Running a successful academic program must be very hard. When you do stupid crap and make boneheaded decisions, it's nearly impossible.
msdos
Swell

Hail state!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Wow!
One more addition to Tulane's long list of "What Might Have Been"
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He has one pitcher recruited that throws a consistent 97mph. Going to be hard to hold on to a few of them because they will be high draft picks.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote::roll: and the hits just keep on coming
Here’s how I feel. Andy and Jake are Tulane graduates and are arguably in the top 5 of the greatest players ever to wear the Green Wave jersey. Andy’s dream was to coach here but that didn’t work out. Yes that shipped has sailed but every baseball alum including myself wants him to have the greatest success possible at Miss St. so when he has the #2 rated class it’s worth noting. As a diehard Tulane fan and graduate myself I always pull for our alums except when they play us. Our baseball program has developed a great coaching tree and I’d like to see that success continue and expand with Andy and Jake.
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Here’s how I feel. Andy and Jake are Tulane graduates and are arguably in the top 5 of the greatest players ever to wear the Green Wave jersey. Andy’s dream was to coach here but that didn’t work out. Yes that shipped has sailed but every baseball alum including myself wants him to have the greatest success possible at Miss St. so when he has the #2 rated class it’s worth noting. As a diehard Tulane fan and graduate myself I always pull for our alums except when they play us. Our baseball program has developed a great coaching tree and I’d like to see that success continue and expand with Andy and Jake.
Oh don't get me wrong. Nothing but the best for AC and jake. Just lamenting that that should be OUR top 5 class. Those kids are going to play for Andy. Nice job Troy.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: One more addition to Tulane's long list of "What Might Have Been"
Yep, almost (since football is king) right up there with Hindman Wall not hiring Lindy Infante in 1980 and Cowen saying no to RichRod in 1998.
Jaxwave
Swell

Recruiting for MSU and recruiting for Tulane are two different animals. I hope everyone realizes that there is probably not one of their recruits whose parents would be interested in paying 2/3 Tulane tuition. So had they come to Tulane their pool of recruits would have been drastically different. I hope they win at MSU, but don't for one minute think that if they do it would have necessarily meant that same success at Tulane.
Does anyone for instance think Jim Harbaugh or Dino Babers would have necessarily been successful at Tulane in football with the lack of resources vs where they ended up?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Oh don't get me wrong. Nothing but the best for AC and jake. Just lamenting that that should be OUR top 5 class. Those kids are going to play for Andy. Nice job Troy.
Right!
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote:Recruiting for MSU and recruiting for Tulane are two different animals. I hope everyone realizes that there is probably not one of their recruits whose parents would be interested in paying 2/3 Tulane tuition. So had they come to Tulane their pool of recruits would have been drastically different. I hope they win at MSU, but don't for one minute think that if they do it would have necessarily meant that same success at Tulane.
Does anyone for instance think Jim Harbaugh or Dino Babers would have necessarily been successful at Tulane in football with the lack of resources vs where they ended up?
I don't think we would have the #2 class, I do think we'd have Top 30 and above classes consistently with some creeping into the top 15.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Recruiting for MSU and recruiting for Tulane are two different animals. I hope everyone realizes that there is probably not one of their recruits whose parents would be interested in paying 2/3 Tulane tuition. So had they come to Tulane their pool of recruits would have been drastically different. I hope they win at MSU, but don't for one minute think that if they do it would have necessarily meant that same success at Tulane.
I don't think we would have the #2 class, I do think we'd have Top 30 and above classes consistently with some creeping into the top 15.
Jax. You give pitchers like that a full. They’d kill to come to Tulane free. Those pitchers are where the rankings come in.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Because or tuition constraints, Tulane has smaller recruting classes and if we give full scollies to 2 or 3 pitchers, then they sign pro, it kills a recruiting class. MSU can sign and take walk one all day long. Apples and Oranges comparing the two.
galvezwave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:Because or tuition constraints, Tulane has smaller recruting classes and if we give full scollies to 2 or 3 pitchers, then they sign pro, it kills a recruiting class. MSU can sign and take walk one all day long. Apples and Oranges comparing the two.

We know . Andy would have signed all the smart rich ones here. He's the draw . Of course it's easy at state.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:Because or tuition constraints, Tulane has smaller recruting classes and if we give full scollies to 2 or 3 pitchers, then they sign pro, it kills a recruiting class. MSU can sign and take walk one all day long. Apples and Oranges comparing the two.
Andy knew Tulane constraints better than anyone. And he’s a phone call away from the ones he didn’t know. It’s always been like that. It didn’t stop Rick Jones from getting to two CWS with highly rated classes in many years. No doubt our tuition is a hurdle but if our administration is serious about winning there’s no reason that part can’t be overcome. (See Vandy).
Jewett is going to need some help. If he doesn’t get any he will more than likely fail. And so will the next coach and the next coach after that. As it stands now the Tulane baseball coach has to wear at least 3-4 different hats. And I don’t mean baseball hats. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree with your point 100%.

But I also think that a lot of what's gone down since Rick Jones left shows how vital to the success of the program Rick was. As TPS and others have pointed out, Rick would make sure the JUCO's credits transferred, he'd search high and low for non-athletics scholarship money, and find a way to get his players here and their financial needs met. I would have expected Cannizaro to do the same, and CALL OUT to Jewett & Co. to start doing so. Things have changed dramatically since our CWS appearances, and it remains to be seen if we can compete at that level. But our coaching staff needs to do more than ever to overcome these hurdles, and it seems to me (admittedly a distant observer) that they're doing less.

At the same time, I promise you Jim Harbaugh or Dino Barbers would have more than 2 conference wins in their first two seasons at Tulane. Both have won wherever they've coached, (and they've coached at much higher levels than CWF) and the resources football has aren't THAT far from the rest of the AAC. In baseball you cannot make the claim that we don't have the facilities of any program in the nation. Yes, the high tuition and lack of TOPS and other financial benefits is a big drawback. But they play in a facility that's second to none in the conference and very few in the country.

It speaks volumes that in early November we're more concerned with MSU baseball than Tulane football on this forum. Wake up Troy.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

Jim Harbaugh at Tulane would have 10 wins in his second season. Anyway, I thought I read somewhere that Vanderbilt, Jewett’s last employer, had the #1 ranked recruiting class.
Pepper
Swell

And they got a commit from the #1 prospect in 2020 already!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wow!
One more addition to Tulane's long list of "What Might Have Been"
So true. It’s just typical that Tulane gave no real thought to hiring Cannizaro. New AD same results.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

As a side note Rick Jones with Team USA baseball this Summer was assigned their 3 pitchers at the junior USA World Cup team trials.
Tulane Class of 1981
green4life
Low Tide

I would like to point out that not for nothing does MSU have a huge stadium, a strong following, something called the "Palmeiro Center" well over 10,000 seat stadium (15k?). Conference champs over ten times and dozens of NCAA post season appearances. It's not like Mr AC drew them in all on his own. It would be impossible to do a "controlled experiment" with AC recruiting at both schools to see the result. but with a strong Baseball history, his mojo will add to the lustre of their baseball history. Tulane =/ MSU.

And yes I wish we won more games in all sports. //
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
Show Me
Tsunami

green4life wrote:I would like to point out that not for nothing does MSU have a huge stadium, a strong following, something called the "Palmeiro Center" well over 10,000 seat stadium (15k?). Conference champs over ten times and dozens of NCAA post season appearances. It's not like Mr AC drew them in all on his own. It would be impossible to do a "controlled experiment" with AC recruiting at both schools to see the result. but with a strong Baseball history, his mojo will add to the lustre of their baseball history. Tulane =/ MSU.

And yes I wish we won more games in all sports. //
Go no further then the coach at Miss St that proceeded him. (His current AD). He never had a No. 2 class.