You Should Be Following the Career of Matt Campbell

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

A little over two years ago when rumors were swirling that a coaching replacement was forthcoming for Curtis Johnson, I recommended that we take a look at an obscure young coach from Toledo. He was making $235,000 annually and had just led Toledo to a victory over a #18 ranked Arkansas team.

I don't know if Tulane ever considered Matt Campbell, but I wish that we had. Even though he was warned that the job was a career-killer, he accepted the head coaching position at Iowa State. Iowa State, like Tulane is not exactly known as a football powerhouse. They do however belong to the Big 12 albeit as a perennial doormat. Prior to Campbell's arrival, Iowa State had won 34 of 98 games in the last 9 years. In the prior 30 years, they had a winning percentage of 32.%

Matt Campbell is currently in the second year as the Cyclones head coach. So far in 2017, he has wins against two ranked unbeatens: #3 Oklahoma and #4 TCU.

Don't think for a second that the right coach cannot overcome a losing tradition and that it can't be done quickly. Follow Matt Campbell's career. I predict he'll get offers from Nebraska (this year) and eventually Texas.

What if...........

Here's my post from September 2015:
GreenLantern wrote:I'm not anticipating that Tulane will have the opportunity to make a coaching change within the next 14 months, but if that happened:

You can't help but get a little excited about Matt Campbell, head coach of Toledo. At 35, he's one of the youngest coaches in the FBS and has made a big difference at Toledo during his short career. He had an offer as OC at the University of Illinois under the former Toledo head coach but turned the job down for the opportunity as head coach at Toledo. He's starting his fourth year and here's his record:
  • 2012 - 9-4
  • 2013 - 7-5
  • 2014 - 9-4
  • 2015 - 3-0 with a win over Arkansas
Under his leadership, Toledo's offensive stats have ranked 32nd, 56th, and 16th in 2012,2013 and 2014. Can you imagine the improvement we would see in the Tulane offense if we had this kind of leadership? Although Toledo's offensive stats for this year appear to be very low, keep in mind that Toledo was held to a small amount of production in their upset win over Arkansas.

He makes $235,000 annually. Think he would come to Tulane for $800,000 and incentives? (Throw in an extra $50K for each win over 6 and a cool $250K for a bowl win). Hey, maybe I should be the AD. :lol:

Follow his career. He'll be in a big program soon. Wish it were ours.

P.S. Mike was an offensive line coach with the Falcons from 2007-2008. Earlier he was the offensive coordinator on two national title teams for the Mount Union Purple Raiders. He was part of three straight national championships there as a player from 2000-2002.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good call GL. I wanted Andy Cannizaro for baseball he’s working out well for Miss St.
But he had no head coaching experience. :lol:
Oh well two ships that sailed.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981