LSU loses to Troy

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wave755
Tsunami

And speaking of Curley Hallman, I wonder if 'Dem Tigggers led by the beautiful singing voice of Coach O will now even go back to doing the Curley Shuffle which goes something like this:

When me and my friends go out on the town
We can't sit still and we can't sit down
We don't like to fight and we don't like to scuffle
But we dance all night doing the Curly shuffle
(Hey Moe hey Moe) hey Moe hey Moe
(Well nyuck nyuck nyuck nyuck) well nyuck nyuck nyuck nyuck
(La da dee la da dee) la da dee la da dee
(Woo woo woo woo) woo woo woo woo

Wave QB
Swell

oliveandblue wrote:...Ole Miss and LSU both look atrocious today. I know it's Alabama, but Tulane would put up a similar effort in Tuscaloosa - and possibly better.

Perhaps winwave was right? We probably could play these two programs right now - they're slowly sliding back to the point where we can make it a real game.
Interesting.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane should always try to schedule teams like LSU, Ole Miss, MS State, GaTech, etc. The issue is with Tulane scheduling programs like Oklahoma (2017, 2021, and 2024 Tulane schedules), Ohio State (2018), Alabama, and (apparently now) Clemson when the chances of winning are so relatively remote and there are so many easier to defeat P5s that need G5 games.

Auburn (2019) is a great example. It generally may be on the tougher side of the P5s, but it should not be as tough as taking on any of the above teams.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Where did you see anything about Clemson?

I don't have a problem with a few of these games right now. 1) It can help with cash flow short term, as we need to build facilities, 2) Create some interest among casual fan that isn't about to go see UTSA, but might actually go see Clemson or Alabama, 3) See Troy vs LSU.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Where did you see anything about Clemson?

I don't have a problem with a few of these games right now. 1) It can help with cash flow short term, as we need to build facilities, 2) Create some interest among casual fan that isn't about to go see UTSA, but might actually go see Clemson or Alabama, 3) See Troy vs LSU.
I was just referring to Clemson being elite - not that they were on Tulane's schedule.

Beating lower profile P5s makes more sense than losing to higher profile ones in terms of drawing interest to a program, and UCF this year is a great example of that. UCF would have been slapped around by Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma and the like, but they're currently top 25 because they beat what appears to be a quality Maryland team and Memphis. Imagine where they would be ranked now had they not been forced to cancel to the GaTech game and won that game as well. In contrast, had they played Oklahoma or Ohio State, they would have a loss and would not be ranked at all.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one has said it should be Oklahoma or Ohio state. What has been said is we will get a lot more interest out of LSU, Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and the like than we will with Wake Forest and the like.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I personally think you need some of both. Being in conference, two thirds of your schedule is teams that you play regularly. The OOC games need some balance. I wouldn't mind having a few teams that we see over and over, like a Vandy, Ole Miss, LSU, Miss St, but I also thing you need a little bit of variety. It doesn't hurt to once in awhile have a Baylor, Purdue, Kansas, Boston College, or Texas Tech type school come to town.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:No one has said it should be Oklahoma or Ohio state. What has been said is we will get a lot more interest out of LSU, Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and the like than we will with Wake Forest and the like.
Exactly. That's why Dickson dumping an MSU home game for one with UMASS to protect CJ and throw the Minute Folks an AAC bone was so outrageous. At least Fritz and Dannen are cleaning up that scheduling mess.
MicMan
Swell

This was LSU's App State, Just a matter of time until Ed O is shown the do'.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:No one has said it should be Oklahoma or Ohio state. What has been said is we will get a lot more interest out of LSU, Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and the like than we will with Wake Forest and the like.
Some posters did. I'm of the opinion that GaTech would have been a much better opponent than Ohio State in 2018. A win against GaTech would be outstanding, but a loss to Ohio State - no matter how close - won't do anything to change perception of program.
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Some posters did. I'm of the opinion that GaTech would have been a much better opponent than Ohio State in 2018. A win against GaTech would be outstanding, but a loss to Ohio State - no matter how close - won't do anything to change perception of program.
+1
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I don't remember any post where it was said we should play Oklahoma and Ohio State rather than LSU, Ole Miss Ms. St.. Please post those. As for a win against Ga. Tech I don't think it would be classified as outstanding. It would be nice but certainly not outstanding.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

My LSU friends that are pretty high up support level wise say O is there through next season and said Sat night that Troy flat out beat them. No excuses, they are all very pessimistic about the immediate future. Dinardo, Saban, and Frank Wilson did such a great job locking down Louisiana that they began to take getting the top guys for granted and it's began to bite them in the ass. They are not nearly as deep and talented as they have been in the past.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

I just wanted to say I spent about 30 minutes on Tigerdroppings and yes, the sky is falling. Thank goodness we have a better coach than LSWHO. Happy Monday! ROLL DAMN WAVE!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I don't remember any post where it was said we should play Oklahoma and Ohio State rather than LSU, Ole Miss Ms. St.. Please post those. As for a win against Ga. Tech I don't think it would be classified as outstanding. It would be nice but certainly not outstanding.
Robert immediately under your post said we need both. You had to have read it.

As for GaTech, yes, a win for Tulane versus GaTech would be outstanding for Tulane. Until Tulane is no longer Tulane, a win versus a solid P5 program is outstanding.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I did see it and that's not what he said at all. He was saying yes we should play LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss. St. but also play Ga.Tech, Vandy and Wake types.

As I've said before I don't grade on a curve. Beating Ga. Tech would be nice but certainly not outstanding. Hell even grading on a curve it wouldn't be considered outstanding. Florida State or Clemson would be outstanding.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I personally think you need some of both. Being in conference, two thirds of your schedule is teams that you play regularly. The OOC games need some balance. I wouldn't mind having a few teams that we see over and over, like a Vandy, Ole Miss, LSU, Miss St, but I also thing you need a little bit of variety. It doesn't hurt to once in awhile have a Baylor, Purdue, Kansas, Boston College, or Texas Tech type school come to town.
We agree. If you have them in the same year it bolsters the appearance of the Vandy or the like. Give me an OOC of a local FCS, Ole Miss, USM and Vandy or Wake,etc. and I think that would get us some notice.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:I did see it and that's not what he said at all. He was saying yes we should play LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss. St. but also play Ga.Tech, Vandy and Wake types.

As I've said before I don't grade on a curve. Beating Ga. Tech would be nice but certainly not outstanding. Hell even grading on a curve it wouldn't be considered outstanding. Florida State or Clemson would be outstanding.
That perspective is solid in abstract, but it ignores the circumstances of Tulane being Tulane. When accounting for those circumstances, Tulane defeating a 3-1 P5 team would be outstanding point blank, and, even if the most optimistic future scenario of Tulane's on the field performance, it would still be outstanding until at least 2019 or 2020.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have to agree to disagree. They lost to a bad Tennessee team and beat a NC team that has lost 13 starters for the season to injury after already losing a lot of talent from last season. Sorry but people will look at who they played and beat to get to 3-1. Just being a 3-1 P5 doesn't make them good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree. They lost to a bad Tennessee team and beat a NC team that has lost 13 starters for the season to injury after already losing a lot of talent from last season. Sorry but people will look at who they played and beat to get to 3-1. Just being a 3-1 P5 doesn't make them good.
You make a good point as to why they're 3-1, but I disagree that people will look at who they played and go as deep as you have. The casual fan would see they lost to an SEC school and beat UNC. They're not going to dig deep enough to see that UNC lost a bunch of players to injury. The worst team on their schedule other than Jacksonville St (rated #96) is Virginia at #59, which is better than most of our conference. They're not Alabama by any means, but they're a decent P5 team and program, and I'm sure they're still much better than we are.
GreenLantern
Riptide

The 'through-thick-and-thin' loyal fans at LSU were not too loyal when their team fell behind to Troy. Tsk, tsk.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree. They lost to a bad Tennessee team and beat a NC team that has lost 13 starters for the season to injury after already losing a lot of talent from last season. Sorry but people will look at who they played and beat to get to 3-1. Just being a 3-1 P5 doesn't make them good.
You make a good point as to why they're 3-1, but I disagree that people will look at who they played and go as deep as you have. The casual fan would see they lost to an SEC school and beat UNC. They're not going to dig deep enough to see that UNC lost a bunch of players to injury. The worst team on their schedule other than Jacksonville St (rated #96) is Virginia at #59, which is better than most of our conference. They're not Alabama by any means, but they're a decent P5 team and program, and I'm sure they're still much better than we are.
I think any of our fans out there that have stopped coming but are looking for Tulane to give them reason to come back would know those things. The deal about UNC's injuries has been mentioned in several articles in the local papers. They would certainly know Tennessee is having a season that's going to get their coach fired. It would be a nice win but I think it's a stretch to call it OUTSTANDING.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
I think any of our fans out there that have stopped coming but are looking for Tulane to give them reason to come back would know those things. The deal about UNC's injuries has been mentioned in several articles in the local papers. They would certainly know Tennessee is having a season that's going to get their coach fired. It would be a nice win but I think it's a stretch to call it OUTSTANDING.
Most of the posters on this board would wholeheartedly disagree that casual fans would care about the specifics of Tulane defeating a P5 team with a winning record. If Tulane was 3-1 right now with a wins over @GaTech, Army, and Grambling along with a close loss @Navy, the stadium would be reasonably close to being full for the Tulsa game. Given that Tulane is 2-2 with a loss to Oklahoma, will the even stadium be 60% full for Tulsa? Maybe. Maybe not. Honestly, Tulane with a 3-1 record including a win over any 3-1 P5 team, regardless of how it got there (other than 2 FCS teams), would draw plenty of attention to the program.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good story about how LSU screwed up with O’s contract.
https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-stuck-ed-o ... 38225.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Most of the posters on this board would wholeheartedly disagree that casual fans would care about the specifics of Tulane defeating a P5 team with a winning record. If Tulane was 3-1 right now with a wins over @GaTech, Army, and Grambling along with a close loss @Navy, the stadium would be reasonably close to being full for the Tulsa game. Given that Tulane is 2-2 with a loss to Oklahoma, will the even stadium be 60% full for Tulsa? Maybe. Maybe not. Honestly, Tulane with a 3-1 record including a win over any 3-1 P5 team, regardless of how it got there (other than 2 FCS teams), would draw plenty of attention to the program.
Wow. You have outdone yourself there. This is a football town. Fans that would show at a game would see right through that 3-1 record and we would still be getting our usual 5,000 or less type crowd. That is DICKSONIAN thinking to believe you can trick fans . It just is. We have been there and it failed miserably. Glad he's gone I just wish his thinking by some would be gone too. The stadium won't be close to half full unless Tulsa brings a ton of fans which I seriously doubt. It doesn't matter though as the crowd wouldn't be any different between our 2-2 record or a Dicksonian 3-1.