LSU loses to Troy

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Maybe part of the reason it wouldn't be full is Tulsa? I'd bet if we were 3-1 (@GaTech,Army,Grambling and close loss @Navy) and a 3-1 Stanford or UCLA was coming to town, we'd be reasonably close to full. Part of the equation is who the visiting team is. And the casual football fan would be more likely to come for another P5 team, than any G5 school, except maybe a Houston or South Florida. The reason I'm leaving out a USM or ULL type school is because they'd bring a lot of their own fans. I'm talking about getting a decent crowd of casual fans, that would come because a winning Tulane is playing someone they want to see. TBH, if we're in the same conference as Tulsa for the next 10 years, or the next 50, its not going to change. No ones ever going to be interested in seeing us play Tulsa, just like no one was interested in us playing Marshall, UTEP, or UTSA.

I also think people here would rather see Eastern teams than Western teams, meaning Boston College, Maryland, Duke, South Carolina, Florida State as compared to Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, UCLA, Colorado.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That 3-1 start would not fool fans. A win over GT just won't move the needle much. Stanford and UCLA aren't doing well this season . There fans probably wouldn't make the trip in droves like say Ole Miss fans always do. There would be a bump though if it was them rather than Tulsa so the stadium would have maybe 10-12 k.

As for preferences Florida State and South Carolina would be the only two to move the needle there.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:That 3-1 start would not fool fans. A win over GT just won't move the needle much. Stanford and UCLA aren't doing well this season . There fans probably wouldn't make the trip in droves like say Ole Miss fans always do. There would be a bump though if it was them rather than Tulsa so the stadium would have maybe 10-12 k.

As for preferences Florida State and South Carolina would be the only two to move the needle there.
+1
Had we beaten Oklahoma then maybe we’d have 20,000 in there. Fans know better.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:That 3-1 start would not fool fans. A win over GT just won't move the needle much. Stanford and UCLA aren't doing well this season . There fans probably wouldn't make the trip in droves like say Ole Miss fans always do. There would be a bump though if it was them rather than Tulsa so the stadium would have maybe 10-12 k.

I guess you didn't read my post. I specifically excluded teams based on the number of fans they would bring. I was looking for teams that the casual football fan would come to see.

I don't get the mentality on this board that expects a Bowden-like turnaround. And you know, was that really a turnaround? We had two winning seasons, and then back to the same stuff we had before. Its been 37 years since I graduated, its about time for once that we build a solid foundation and a program that can win regularly, year after year. And if its going to take another season or two to get to that point, I'm willing to wait a bit longer.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:

I guess you didn't read my post. I specifically excluded teams based on the number of fans they would bring. I was looking for teams that the casual football fan would come to see.

I don't get the mentality on this board that expects a Bowden-like turnaround. And you know, was that really a turnaround? We had two winning seasons, and then back to the same stuff we had before. Its been 37 years since I graduated, its about time for once that we build a solid foundation and a program that can win regularly, year after year. And if its going to take another season or two to get to that point, I'm willing to wait a bit longer.
This. I'd rather win half of the time against Wake/GT/Vandy and fill the stadium an extra couple thousand Tulane fans rather than lose every year to Ole Miss and lsu and have their 10s of thousands of fans. Build a program and build true rivalries.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:

Did you read my post. No where did I say I expect a Bowden type turnaround. We are talking about having opponents our fans and casual fans would be interested in coming out to see. I didn't list any that we shouldn't be able to take the field with now. I also didn't say that they have to be all four OOC games every year. GT , WF and the like won't draw much interest if we play and beat them. The others most certainly would. The conference isn't overwhelming by any means so we need those OOC games to bolster interest.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I will not start a new thread for the "Bottom 10"...but some interesting comments for the team ranked number 5

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... production
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:I will not start a new thread for the "Bottom 10"...but some interesting comments for the team ranked number 5

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... production

Not good to see ECU @9. UCONN and Tulsa receiving votes.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I don't get the mentality on this board that expects a Bowden-like turnaround. And you know, was that really a turnaround? We had two winning seasons, and then back to the same stuff we had before. Its been 37 years since I graduated, its about time for once that we build a solid foundation and a program that can win regularly, year after year. And if its going to take another season or two to get to that point, I'm willing to wait a bit longer.
1. A Bowden-like turnaround should always be expected. Why settle for mediocrity?
2. Yes it was a turn around. The foundation was there. It was the assholes in charge that shattered it.
3. Expecting or settling for anything less is a loser mentality.

Being happy that we competed for a half against Oklahoma and beat Grambling and Army is nothing to hang your hat on. That LSU forum has THOUSANDS of posts about the current state of their program, their loss to Troy, and what they should do moving forward. Their weekly traffic equals us and YOGWF for an entire year. That's what winners do. They are passionate. They are angry. They demand results, and they want them now. Show me an LSU fan happy with a .500 record in the SEC. You can't.

I'm glad LSU lost to Troy, but don't go mouthing off that ra ra bullshit in the same thread about us. We haven't done shit yet, and you're happy about it. I'll measure success by winning against top opponents, playing in prestigious bowls, and dominating our opponents week in and week out. You want inspiration, go watch Nick Saban after his team had just demolished Ole Miss 66-3. The next game was the most important. His team could have played better, and he expects that of himself and his players. Meanwhile, we're happy squeaking by Army on a last second score.

That's the problem with Tulane. When is everyone going to start expecting and demanding dominance and perfection? If you don't, it will never change. Go right on ahead with your waiting.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

When you've got $100M a year to work with like most of these SEC athletic depts, you can get the players that will put you in the hunt for national championships overnight. Especially if you cut corners to do it. Oops. That's exactly what Ole Miss did. Came out of nowhere and were in the Top Ten. Now look at where they are.

You say the foundation was there after 1998. We know Bowden could coach, but could he recruit? His two winning seasons here were all Teevens' players. He spent ten years at Clemson, never won an ACC title. In the eight years since, Dabo Swinney has won five ACC division titles, three ACC Conference titles, and played in two NC games, winning one national title. So obviously you can win titles at Clemson, but Bowden never did.

We'll have a foundation when we have a coach that can recruit and win with his own players, AND stays to continue to build on that foundation. Until then, a winning season here or there is only a short term fix.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:When you've got $100M a year to work with like most of these SEC athletic depts, you can get the players that will put you in the hunt for national championships overnight. Especially if you cut corners to do it. Oops. That's exactly what Ole Miss did. Came out of nowhere and were in the Top Ten. Now look at where they are.

You say the foundation was there after 1998. We know Bowden could coach, but could he recruit? His two winning seasons here were all Teevens' players. He spent ten years at Clemson, never won an ACC title. In the eight years since, Dabo Swinney has won five ACC division titles, three ACC Conference titles, and played in two NC games, winning one national title. So obviously you can win titles at Clemson, but Bowden never did.

We'll have a foundation when we have a coach that can recruit and win with his own players, AND stays to continue to build on that foundation. Until then, a winning season here or there is only a short term fix.
This. It's easy to claim in abstract that Tulane should be constantly compete for conference titles and expect nothing less, but that's unrealistic to expect Tulane to compete for AAC titles in the immediate future (2017 or 2018) and it's unrealistic to expect Tulane to constantly compete for titles given the general cyclical nature of success among G5 programs. The only visible way to reach notable and consistent success the way that some posters appear to be expecting would be if Tulane won the lottery with a successful coach that is willing to pass on mid tier P5 jobs (i.e. pass on all of the P5 jobs except for about 10-15) to remain at Tulane like a Peterson (Boise - 8 seasons) or Patterson (TCU - 11 seasons outside Big 12), or, in the alternative, if Tulane found a coach that had an offensive scheme that was unattractive to P5s but that coach coached it extremely well like a Niumatalolo (Navy - in 10th full season).
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie, our current coach may be both of those things you mention. :)
GreenLantern
Riptide

Coach O explaining the LSU loss to Troy (along with several other losing SEC coaches). Whaddya mean you can't understand him?