FBI Announces Federal Corruption charges against 4 NCAA coaches

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation

Seems this might get ugly. Big money is killing college sports.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

LMAO...I can't believe it took this long to uncover this krap !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

The complaint should have just said Louisville and Pitino.....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:The complaint should have just said Louisville and Pitino.....
He’s done.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... jurich-out
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

As I said on the other thread, Tulane was waaaay ahead of the curve in paying hoops recruits.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:The complaint should have just said Louisville and Pitino.....
He’s done.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... jurich-out
Luther Strange can apply for the AD's job !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The NCAA is a joke. Where were they when all this has been going on?
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:The NCAA is a joke. Where were they when all this has been going on?
Besides the FBI/DOJ, look for the SEC to get involved. They may be the most effective police of all in this. NIKE and Under Armour are U.S. publicly traded stocks. Adidas is traded in Germany with some type of U.S. listing. Corruption is not only a crime, it's against SEC rules and there all sorts of ramifications involved for financial and legal reporting purposes. Look for the IRS to jump on too. Lastly I'm sure the class action lawyers are lined up.

This all will cause a data dump like we've never seen as the perps scurry for plea deals and turn on each other. This may result in the turning over of college athletics as we have not seen since the PAC-whatever collapsed in the late fifties due to academic fraud.

Finally I bet someone looks at how LSU has been getting commitments from all these high powered players who had no interest earlier. I know: new coach; blah blah blah. Hope Wade is clean because he will have to prove it whether he likes it or not.

Now it's obvious why Dunleavy shifted to foreign recruiting and didn't get involved in the AAU/shoe trade. Good for him and better for Tulane.
uptownprof
Ripple

Dont mean to sound like a scavenger - but maybe Tulane should contact EJ Montgomery, Courtney Ramey and Anfernee Simons.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... tney-ramey

https://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/ej-mo ... rest-35595

These are 4- and 5- recruits - so the Greenies will only have an outside shot, of course.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Pitino may have coached his last game, unless, of course, the NBA finds a home for him.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
billow
High Tide

You think Pitino can coach from Federal Prison?????
RobertM320
Green Wave

I guess this is going to be bigger than the Kentucky scandals in the early 50's. I know this is a long shot, but could this be the type of thing that brings down the P5s? I don't know, maybe forces the NCAA to grow a pair, and make changes. Maybe force all TV deals to go through the NCAA, and the money is distributed to all members? Just spitballing here. Never hurts to hope.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I guess this is going to be bigger than the Kentucky scandals in the early 50's. I know this is a long shot, but could this be the type of thing that brings down the P5s? I don't know, maybe forces the NCAA to grow a pair, and make changes. Maybe force all TV deals to go through the NCAA, and the money is distributed to all members? Just spitballing here. Never hurts to hope.
It certainly doesn't hurt to hope. If anything though it might just spur the inevitable where the P5 break off.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

The P5 can try and break away from the ties of the NCAA, but they can't escape the FBI and DOJ. I'm hoping this is the time where NCAA tries to assert its power, when the P5s are back on their heels. I mean, how many schools are involved now? I've heard at least Louisville and Miami in the ACC (No surprise to either of those), and so far Auburn and South Carolina and maybe Alabama in SEC?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What some are saying is that if there is no rule against it then no law is broken. So there's your motivation to break off.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If the only rule they're breaking is an NCAA rule, then the FBI and DOJ wouldn't be involved. There's more to it than that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The rule puts the law into play.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Crazy but because of this there’s now talk of paying the players directly. So once again bad behavior could be rewarded. :shock:
Don’t be shocked if NIKE is also involved.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Crazy but because of this there’s now talk of playing the players directly. So once again bad behavior could be rewarded. :shock:
I thought I saw somewhere that they've already hit up Nike for their computers today.
RobertM320
Green Wave

espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20847512/nike-elite-youth-basketball-league-served-subpoena-sources

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... na-sources

https://deadspin.com/report-fbi-looking ... 1818951805
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Crazy but because of this there’s now talk of paying the players directly. So once again bad behavior could be rewarded. :shock:
My guess is this will cause a round of that "time to leave the NCAA and pay players" talk to start again in the media and the Hot Sports Take Industry, but it won't have any traction whatsoever with the community that matters, which are college presidents and administrators.

There are a ton of factors in Federal law (tax exempt status, title ix) that make the model the Sports Opinion-Havers want impossible in practicality, whether these schools are in the NCAA or not.
Houma de Wave
Swell

When asked about this issue last night at our Bayoulands Booster Club meeting, Coach Dunleavy said, "Hey, it can't mean anything bad for us."
Last edited by Houma de Wave on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Houma de Wave wrote:When asked about this issue last night at our Bayoulands Booster Club meeting, Coach Dunleavy said, "Hey, it can mean anything bad for us."
can, or CAN'T?
lurker123
Swell

OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Crazy but because of this there’s now talk of paying the players directly. So once again bad behavior could be rewarded. :shock:
My guess is this will cause a round of that "time to leave the NCAA and pay players" talk to start again in the media and the Hot Sports Take Industry, but it won't have any traction whatsoever with the community that matters, which are college presidents and administrators.

There are a ton of factors in Federal law (tax exempt status, title ix) that make the model the Sports Opinion-Havers want impossible in practicality, whether these schools are in the NCAA or not.

Exactly.

Since the talking heads are going to town on this one, I'll join them. To flesh out what OUG notes, try this scenario: What if the real AAU (the academic one that every college pres and admin aspires to be a part of) says if your school joins a (presumably P5 initiated) pro league, your school can not be a member of the AAU, what do you think will happen? B1G ain't there. Probably PAC 12 too and so forth. We may be looking at an SEC pro league sans Vanderbilt with a few throw ins like Clemson and OU. I wouldn't even guess if UT or A&M would risk AAU status for that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's pretty far fetched. What will prompt the AAU to do that?