2018 USN&WR BEST COLLEGES RANKINGS

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wave755
Tsunami

I'll tell you what is truly amazing, a state with only 4 million people that ranks 48th or 49th in so many categories, including per capita income, has a top 50 university - Tulane.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave755 wrote:I'll tell you what is truly amazing, a state with only 4 million people that ranks 48th or 49th in so many categories, including per capita income, has a top 50 university - Tulane.
This is true. The decision of the university to begin targeting out of state students over in-state students so many years ago has indirectly paid off in the rankings.
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:I'll tell you what is truly amazing, a state with only 4 million people that ranks 48th or 49th in so many categories, including per capita income, has a top 50 university - Tulane.
This is true. The decision of the university to begin targeting out of state students over in-state students so many years ago has indirectly paid off in the rankings.
And, for the endowment as well.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Schools that are a lot less expensive than Tulane give out aid as well. We don't have a monopoly on financial assistance. My daughters cost of attending UCF is about $11K/ yr and it has allowed her to create a major between disciplines of education and management. Yes, she's in-state, but they gave her a lot of money because of her grades even though she transferred in.
This is akin to making the argument that there is no need to buy an Audi when a Mazda gets you around town just fine. That is intuitively true, and yet there's still reasons that many people will want the Audi and find it more attractive. Maybe those people are stupid, or maybe they just place different value on different things.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

OUG wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:guys....endowments have everything to do with this. dont let anyone else tell you they dont, regardless of what they say the equation is. If you don't believe it, then keep trying to figure out how we go backwards every decade or so. Hence the reason why all the privates with 3B$ are all top 25 and we are not.

I've said this before, but we are getting left behind.....their needs to be a huge huge massive fundraiser push by the new president ASAP that exceeds 1B$ plus dollars preferrably 2-3B as all of our peers have done recently. All of that money needs to be added to the endowment. otherwise we will bleed a slow slow death down the rankings. Before you know it, the next generation we will be ranked in the 70-80s and falling.

pretty simple...the universities with more resources perform the best, and can give out more schollies to attract the best students etc etc. Endowment and rankings go hand in hand.
Endowment is important but I would point out that we are ten spots higher in the rankings than we were ten years ago so I'm not sure this so bleed is playing out quite the way you suggest.

10 years ago unfortunatley we didnt have a university. I want to be #1, some people are confortable being where we are ...i get it. We cant be #1 (or top 25) without drastically increasing our endowment. We need a fundraiser ASAP. Most of our private school peers have raised over 1B in the last 5 years and are striving for more....we have not.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Schools that are a lot less expensive than Tulane give out aid as well. We don't have a monopoly on financial assistance. My daughters cost of attending UCF is about $11K/ yr and it has allowed her to create a major between disciplines of education and management. Yes, she's in-state, but they gave her a lot of money because of her grades even though she transferred in.
This is akin to making the argument that there is no need to buy an Audi when a Mazda gets you around town just fine. That is intuitively true, and yet there's still reasons that many people will want the Audi and find it more attractive. Maybe those people are stupid, or maybe they just place different value on different things.
Yes, but this part of the thread was discussing VALUE in higher education. For my money, Tulane is not a great value. I personally find a better VALUE in a Sonata than an Audi 8 series (though I owned the predecessor to the Audi 8, the Audi 100).Others may feel otherwise. To each their own. I'm still damned proud of my diploma from The Tulane University of Louisiana. I just think it's way overpriced today.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V