Houston Hurricane Harvey

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Keeping our Tulane friends in Texas in my prayers from the flooding and storms. We are starting to get heavy rains here in Nola and they cancelled school for the kids here tomorrow. Stay safe! Happy Monday and ROLL DAMN WAVE! 5 more days till we get to see our boys in action!

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hear from Mike Fitts that New Orleans could get 6-8" of rain. Is it conceivable that the Grambling game gets postponed or cancelled?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Houma de Wave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I hear from Mike Fitts that New Orleans could get 6-8" of rain. Is it conceivable that the Grambling game gets postponed or cancelled?
It's "long range," but AccuWeather has this system ending on Thursday. Friday- cloudy with a few thunderstorms; Saturday- A thunderstorm or two. We'll play football on Saturday.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LSU game has been moved to the Dome for Saturday night so they obviously think the we'll be in the clear by then.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
msdos
Swell

It's our only guaranteed win. They need to play the game
Bearwave
High Tide

msdos wrote:It's our only guaranteed win. They need to play the game
I wouldn't call any game a guaranteed win.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
GreenLantern
Riptide

Memo To: Anyone Who Will Listen

RE: Harvey

My wife and I pretend we're tourists a few times each football season. We drive from the north shore, rent a nice hotel room, enjoy a couple good meals and watch some (typically) disappointing football.

Usually for the first 3-5 weeks of the football season, it's still oppressively hot in NOLA and there's not much demand for hotel rooms. It is not uncommon to find great rooms at the Monteleone, the Roosevelt, the Windsor and most other four star establishments for a deeply discounted $129-$169 per night. When I checked a couple days ago, the rooms were 3-5 times their seasonally discounted rate. This was even BEFORE LSUgh announced the change of their game from Houston to the Dome.

<RANT>I'm a big fan of capitalism, supply-demand, etc....but this stinks. After Katrina, hotels in Dallas and Ft. Worth actually discounted their prices for displaced folks. I think that as well as Houston received NOLA refugees post-Katrina, we should be going out of our way to help. This is not the New Orleans image we should wish the world to see...ESPECIALLY WITH OUR HISTORY OF RECEIVING EMERGENCY AID!</RANT>
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Memo To: Anyone Who Will Listen

RE: Harvey

My wife and I pretend we're tourists a few times each football season. We drive from the north shore, rent a nice hotel room, enjoy a couple good meals and watch some (typically) disappointing football.

Usually for the first 3-5 weeks of the football season, it's still oppressively hot in NOLA and there's not much demand for hotel rooms. It is not uncommon to find great rooms at the Monteleone, the Roosevelt, the Windsor and most other four star establishments for a deeply discounted $129-$169 per night. When I checked a couple days ago, the rooms were 3-5 times their seasonally discounted rate. This was even BEFORE LSUgh announced the change of their game from Houston to the Dome.

<RANT>I'm a big fan of capitalism, supply-demand, etc....but this stinks. After Katrina, hotels in Dallas and Ft. Worth actually discounted their prices for displaced folks. I think that as well as Houston received NOLA refugees post-Katrina, we should be going out of our way to help. This is not the New Orleans image we should wish the world to see...ESPECIALLY WITH OUR HISTORY OF RECEIVING EMERGENCY AID!</RANT>
Southern Decadence weekend. They jack them up for that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

https://twitter.com/hullnewsTU/status/9 ... 5233980421
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:https://twitter.com/hullnewsTU/status/9 ... 5233980421
That's what happens when you can't count on city government to do their job.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
But our pumps are really working... half-ly working... I mean working! :shock:
chain gang x man
Swell

Jeremy Montalbano's family was forced to evacuate their home in Houston area due to the Brazos River
They evacuated to Houston after Katrina
Remember them in your prayers
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Jeremy Montalbano's family was forced to evacuate their home in Houston area due to the Brazos River
I hate hearing that. Tough news there. Praying they remain safe and hoping for the best.
Difficult to deal with this twice. Watching the local news they featured a police officer and his family who flooded here then moved to Houston only to flood there again.
Tulane Class of 1981
Stroke
Ripple

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
But our pumps are really working... half-ly working... I mean working! :shock:
This city is NUTS, guys getting paid too much for a job they dont perform. From the 1st Day I saw the S&WB at work I saw a joke, moving here from Dallas and they are a disrespect to Citizens who work hard to have what they have.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Jeremy Montalbano's family was forced to evacuate their home in Houston area due to the Brazos River
Certainly hope for the best for them. Please let us know how they make out
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

It would be a cool jesture to put the UH logo somewhere on our helmets this weekend. Just sayin.
Bigschtick
Riptide

There is a big difference between the fine citizens of Houston and the thugs that play for the University of
Houston, just sayin.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:It would be a cool jesture to put the UH logo somewhere on our helmets this weekend. Just sayin.
I posted under the AAC section of the forum their game with UTSA this week end has been put off.. I am still pissed at SC for the Katrina season...the NCAA offered to give all players an extra year if Tulane decided not to play..but SC were putting the nails in the coffin...I think RD wanted to cancel but was over ruled by his "lowness"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

Or not. Lol
TXWave88
Surge

Let a player from Houston run out of the tunnel holding a Texas Flag.
galvezwave
Swell

TXWave88 wrote:Let a player from Houston run out of the tunnel holding a Texas Flag.
Better yet
JerseyWave
Riptide

Isn't Chris Scelfo an assistant on Houston's staff?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was Scelfo who wanted to bail on the season. RD overruled him. The big mistake was forcing them to play in a different city for every home game. Another RD decision. Tulane was offered Independence Bowl Stadium for free for all games.
BC Wave
Swell

I don't disagree but I think the big mistake was following a convincing win over SMU where Forte ran roughshod, prior to the SLU game at Tiger Stadium, the team went on a tour of the devastation in New Orleans.

It was just a few weeks after the flood wall breeches. It was a completely devastating sight to see.

We barely beat the Lions and didn't win another game after that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:It was Scelfo who wanted to bail on the season. RD overruled him. The big mistake was forcing them to play in a different city for every home game. Another RD decision. Tulane was offered Independence Bowl Stadium for free for all games.
I agree... a road game each week... I do remember the Miss State AD and Sylvester Croom refusing to take any money from Tulane
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !