The 11.7 Baseball Scholarship Myth

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5217
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 am

Here's a story discussing the struggles of private schools. it's not a perfect comp to TU, but interesting IMO.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/ ... l:trending

"By stressing health sciences, business, and engineering over humanities and by tailoring its financial aid to attract high school graduates that best fit the small school, Merrimack has managed to boost student enrollment, build facilities, and stabilize its finances."

“I’m not as pessimistic as most people,” Hopey said last week. “The key is to look different than others.”

"The solution at Merrimack has been multifold but has focused on shifting from the basic liberal arts track to one geared toward degrees with clearer job prospects in the current economy."

"Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, called STEM fields, have become increasingly popular at colleges and universities nationwide as budget-conscious students gravitate to degrees most likely to land them jobs after graduation."

Loyola NOLA is in real rough shape. You can only trim so much fat, it feels like they are headed for a slow death. Could be huge for Tulane.


Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am

mbawavefan12 wrote: Loyola NOLA is in real rough shape. You can only trim so much fat, it feels like they are headed for a slow death. Could be huge for Tulane.
Ideally, yes, but, even if Loyola Nola ceased to exist, it wouldn't have that much of an effect on Tulane since:
(1) Loyola has lower quality student body than Tulane and Tulane isn't going to lower its standards to capture students that currently choose to attend Loyola because doing so would be sacrificing its US news rank
(2) Tulane doesn't have the housing capacity to capture all of those students even if it wanted to given Freshmen and Sophomores have to live on campus if they are not from nearby (63% of Loyola is out of state), and, even if Tulane wanted them and acquired Loyola's campus, it is unlikely that Tulane would be interested in acquiring most of Loyola's professors due to quality (lower standards), relevance (major/department not offered), and redundancy issues (existing higher quality professors that teach the topic)
(3) Tulane already doesn't require an application fee, so students that were interested in both institutions or were just interested in attending college in NOLA likely already submit an application to both and
(4) the most popular majors between the two institutions do not intersect that much, as, according to US News, the most popular majors at Loyola New Orleans are Psychology, General, Music Management, Criminology and Creative Writing while the the most poplar majors at Tulane are Business (and related majors), Social Sciences, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Health Professions and Psychology.

There is some potential for Tulane if Loyola closed, but it wouldn't be as much of an impact to Tulane as some may think.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5217
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote: Loyola NOLA is in real rough shape. You can only trim so much fat, it feels like they are headed for a slow death. Could be huge for Tulane.
Ideally, yes, but, even if Loyola Nola ceased to exist, it wouldn't have that much of an effect on Tulane since:
(1) Loyola has lower quality student body than Tulane and Tulane isn't going to lower its standards to capture students that currently choose to attend Loyola because doing so would be sacrificing its US news rank
(2) Tulane doesn't have the housing capacity to capture all of those students even if it wanted to given Freshmen and Sophomores have to live on campus if they are not from nearby (63% of Loyola is out of state), and, even if Tulane wanted them and acquired Loyola's campus, it is unlikely that Tulane would be interested in acquiring most of Loyola's professors due to quality (lower standards), relevance (major/department not offered), and redundancy issues (existing higher quality professors that teach the topic)
(3) Tulane already doesn't require an application fee, so students that were interested in both institutions or were just interested in attending college in NOLA likely already submit an application to both and
(4) the most popular majors between the two institutions do not intersect that much, as, according to US News, the most popular majors at Loyola New Orleans are Psychology, General, Music Management, Criminology and Creative Writing while the the most poplar majors at Tulane are Business (and related majors), Social Sciences, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Health Professions and Psychology.

There is some potential for Tulane if Loyola closed, but it wouldn't be as much of an impact to Tulane as some may think.
Huge for only one reason, gaining significant land on a landlocked TU campus. Adding tons of parking and opening up space for a new Bball arena. Don't care at all about their students. The only other added benefit is that apparently Loyola does have a very good Law library tmk.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:27 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Huge for only one reason, gaining significant land on a landlocked TU campus. Adding tons of parking and opening up space for a new Bball arena. Don't care at all about their students. The only other added benefit is that apparently Loyola does have a very good Law library tmk.

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Land, land, land. New bball arena, relocate Turchin and the Wilson Center and expand Yulman.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 pm

That land aint gonna be cheap.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:32 am

ajcalhoun wrote:That land aint gonna be cheap.
Doesn't the Catholic Church own the land that Loyola is on? If so, it seems unlikely that they would sell it for a discount, and, given the prime location of the land, it will be worth a lot of money. If even it was up for sale, Tulane probably couldn't afford it without taking on a notable amount of debt.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5217
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:That land aint gonna be cheap.
Doesn't the Catholic Church own the land that Loyola is on? If so, it seems unlikely that they would sell it for a discount, and, given the prime location of the land, it will be worth a lot of money. If even it was up for sale, Tulane probably couldn't afford it without taking on a notable amount of debt.
Yes land is extremely expensive in that area in general, probably the most expensive land in the city. But who (besides Tulane) would be a buyer? A developer would have to go about tearing down the place for housing. I don;t think the NIMBY's would ever allow for commercial development and hell I don't know how they could ever get approval for a condo complex. Maybe a Newman would be interested. Tulane would be the only buyer who could utilize the existing assets besides Newman, who would have to drastically increase enrollment to justify the expense. No charter school could afford those assets. It's an interesting discussion.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18015
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Maybe some of our students just just got lucky.
$5 billion in loans paperwork missing. Loans not enforceable.
http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... ncart_2box
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:Yes land is extremely expensive in that area in general, probably the most expensive land in the city. But who (besides Tulane) would be a buyer? A developer would have to go about tearing down the place for housing. I don;t think the NIMBY's would ever allow for commercial development and hell I don't know how they could ever get approval for a condo complex. Maybe a Newman would be interested. Tulane would be the only buyer who could utilize the existing assets besides Newman, who would have to drastically increase enrollment to justify the expense. No charter school could afford those assets. It's an interesting discussion.
Assuming that it would be up for sale, the most likely purchasers would be for profit universities, another church (for church+school), the state, and Tulane. The problem with Tulane buying it beyond that price is that Tulane has no use for a lot of it since it cannot realistically capture a notable amount of the students that normally attend Loyola and it wouldn't make sense to buy it and destroy the valuable historically significant buildings (assuming that it could legally do so) in order to change the use of the land.

In theory, a private employer could also be interested in the property, but Louisiana in general is not attracting the types of employers that would need their own campus.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8124
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Yes land is extremely expensive in that area in general, probably the most expensive land in the city. But who (besides Tulane) would be a buyer? A developer would have to go about tearing down the place for housing. I don;t think the NIMBY's would ever allow for commercial development and hell I don't know how they could ever get approval for a condo complex. Maybe a Newman would be interested. Tulane would be the only buyer who could utilize the existing assets besides Newman, who would have to drastically increase enrollment to justify the expense. No charter school could afford those assets. It's an interesting discussion.
Assuming that it would be up for sale, the most likely purchasers would be for profit universities, another church (for church+school), the state, and Tulane. The problem with Tulane buying it beyond that price is that Tulane has no use for a lot of it since it cannot realistically capture a notable amount of the students that normally attend Loyola and it wouldn't make sense to buy it and destroy the valuable historically significant buildings (assuming that it could legally do so) in order to change the use of the land.

In theory, a private employer could also be interested in the property, but Louisiana in general is not attracting the types of employers that would need their own campus.
I remember the days when the "Fieldhouse" was n longer in use and Tulane made an offer to purchase the land and building... Loyola would not even take a phone call...I think it is now a parking garage
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12646
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Online

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:33 pm

It is now a recreational facility and parking garage.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2898
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:46 pm

11.7 is not enough. At least 17.5 which would allow for 1/2 baseball scholarship for everyone and you should be able to stack whatever else you can scrape up.
Post Reply