1967 Saints old Tulane Stadium

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good read for those that lived it as I did. My dad covered the Saints during those days besides covering Tulane. Behind the scenes look. Also includes a Tulane faculty side story as well.
https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/16/new ... nniversary

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I was in the stadium for the first regular season kick-off, and the resulting TD ...and then all hell broke loose as the "fearsome foursome' caused havoc all afternoon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:I was in the stadium for the first regular season kick-off, and the resulting TD ...and then all hell broke loose as the "fearsome foursome' caused havoc all afternoon
Same here. Went to every game growing up. I was even a ball boy one year.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Did George Sweeney ever partake in the ostrich races?

I cannot believe that Macom sold the Saints to Benson in 1985 for $72.5 million. An NFL Franchise now will not sell for less than $1 billion.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Did George Sweeney ever partake in the ostrich races?

I cannot believe that Macom sold the Saints to Benson in 1985 for $72.5 million. An NFL Franchise now will not sell for less than $1 billion.
actually Benson got the franchise for about 50 mill...the state of Louisiana "loaned" Benson the 25 or 30 mill he was short...when the Saints went up for sale the State of Louisiana wanted to purchase the franchise and run it like the Green Bay Packers, the NFL would not approve the sale, many who wanted to buy the Saints also wanted to relocate them..in road "hometown" Tom with his white hat to save the day...only one problem, he was about 25 or 30 million short...he has never repaid the State and the State keeps giving him land and buildings, what a country, or at least a State
!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

a little more history...the Saints were suppose to be in the "American" division of the NFL to give them an even 10 teams...Congressman Boggs who prevented the anti trust suit against the NFL told them in no uncertain terms the NOLA franchise would be in the National, especially since all of the crap with the AFL All Star game that was moved from NOLA to Houston .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Did George Sweeney ever partake in the ostrich races?

I cannot believe that Mecom sold the Saints to Benson in 1985 for $72.5 million. An NFL Franchise now will not sell for less than $1 billion.
Lol. No but Peter Finney did. But remember Mecom paid only $8.5 million for the Saints.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great video of old Tulane stadium in 1967 packed with 80,000 plus in it. Sad how Cowen went along with the NIMBY’s to restrict Yulman’s size.

Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

was at the first regular season game..Saint's vs LA Rams & the Fearsome Foursome...(the Saints were just in fear)......Gilliam ran the openiing KO back for a TD
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:29 am was at the first regular season game..Saint's vs LA Rams & the Fearsome Foursome...(the Saints were just in fear)......Gilliam ran the openiing KO back for a TD
Yes sir! Same here. I still have my program.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

Why are ya` all celebrating the demise of Tulane fandom ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Great article.. Thanks for the link, TPS
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V