2017 Road to Omaha ends with Florida

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Jaxwave
Swell

Guys, the high RPI comes from beating other conferences in early season games where teams are experimenting and midweek games where the top three pitchers are no factor. There is no way for instance we smell a victory over LSU facing their Friday or Saturday starter, but could beat them when facing their down the line pitching.
In summary the AAC was probably overrated as the frontline pitching was average this year.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UCF goes 2&Q
UH up 3-0 over Baylor Top 5th
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:Guys, the high RPI comes from beating other conferences in early season games where teams are experimenting and midweek games where the top three pitchers are no factor. There is no way for instance we smell a victory over LSU facing their Friday or Saturday starter, but could beat them when facing their down the line pitching.
In summary the AAC was probably overrated as the frontline pitching was average this year.
Tulane probably wouldn't beat LSU with Lange on the mound but could definitely beat them In a JP France vs Poche matchup on Saturday.
France pitched around 15 innings against LSU last year and allowed 1 run
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UH wins to stay alive
USF loses in 12 innings vs Fla
Pierce has Texas in the finals
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

AAC down to one team as USF falls to Beth-Cook 6-4
UH in elimination game rain delay vs Iowa last hope for AAC.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

Seeing a lot of former Tulane players(Alemais, Yandel, Rogers etc.) showing lots of love for David Pierce on twitter this weekend. It's clear the players really liked and respected that staff. Not so sure that's the case with the new coaching staff.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:Seeing a lot of former Tulane players(Alemais, Yandel, Rogers etc.) showing lots of love for David Pierce on twitter this weekend. It's clear the players really liked and respected that staff. Not so sure that's the case with the new coaching staff.
This is reaching. I guess I don't get it. How is them congratulating Pierce have anything to do with current staff? None of those players played for new staff. I'm sure it's just nothing more than congratulating them on good season......nothing wrong with that considering they spent everyday of their life the last few years together.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:Seeing a lot of former Tulane players(Alemais, Yandel, Rogers etc.) showing lots of love for David Pierce on twitter this weekend. It's clear the players really liked and respected that staff. Not so sure that's the case with the new coaching staff.
This is reaching. I guess I don't get it. How is them congratulating Pierce have anything to do with current staff? None of those players played for new staff. I'm sure it's just nothing more than congratulating them on good season......nothing wrong with that considering they spent everyday of their life the last few years together.
True that none of those particular guys played for Jewett, but let's just say I've heard from guys on this year's team that they much preferred the previous staff.

I also never said that it had anything to do with the current staff. Just said that I don't think that the players liked them as much.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

We get it. Let's give it a break. Jewett is our head coach, that isn't changing. We need to embrace it and accept the fact and start pulling for him to be successful. Your post was just to stir things up.

Reminds me of half the country still trying bring obama back or change the outcome of the election. It isn't happening , it's over time to move on.

Bad mouthing our current HC and feeling sorry for ourselves doesn't solve anything. Bad mouthing the staff does us no good for our program and really hurts it actually.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I am pulling for him.

Not bad mouthing him, just stating what I've heard

But none of those things should have much impact on the success or failure of the program
Wave755
Tsunami

"Dem Tiigggeers" heading to SuperRegional after defeating Rice 5 to 0 tonight. I feel all the worse we didn't even make it to the "big dance."
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UH stays alive by beating Iowa. They face Texas A&M today and must win twice to advance to Super.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote:We get it. Let's give it a break. Jewett is our head coach, that isn't changing. We need to embrace it and accept the fact and start pulling for him to be successful. Your post was just to stir things up.

Reminds me of half the country still trying bring obama back or change the outcome of the election. It isn't happening , it's over time to move on.

Bad mouthing our current HC and feeling sorry for ourselves doesn't solve anything. Bad mouthing the staff does us no good for our program and really hurts it actually.
I agree. And while I don't think the most recent team disliked Jewett, I really don't care if they did or not. They weren't recruited by him, and underperformed. 2019 and 2020 will tell me whether or not Jewett was meant to be a head coach. Again, who cares if the players he didn't recruit liked him? Even less so for those that never played for the man.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The AAC Road to Omaha ends with UH losing to #3 seed Texas A&M 4-3. No Super Regionals for AAC.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Another national seed goes down as Sam Houston St advances over #5 Texas Tech. So now we have two national seeds eliminated (#2 NC knocked off by Davidson).
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Miss. St. defeats So. Miss. 8 to 1. The teams play again @ 9:30 p.m. tonight, winner goes to the SuperRegional. Cannizaro to the SuperRegional in B.R.? The game is on ESPN 3.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:Miss. St. defeats So. Miss. 8 to 1. The teams play again @ 9:30 p.m. tonight, winner goes to the SuperRegional. Cannizaro to the SuperRegional in B.R.? The game is on ESPN 3.
DH sweep for Miss St. and Andy Cannizaro.
Big come from behind 8-6 win in the championship game.
Going to be tough to win 2 in the BR Super though.

Schlossnagle also going to a Super with TCU.
Pierce falls short losing 2-1 to LBSU
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

Good luck to both Schloss & AC. Pierce ran into the best pitching staff I've seen in LBSU.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:Good luck to both Schloss & AC. Pierce ran into the best pitching staff I've seen in LBSU.
I agree. That lefty LBSU brought in late in the game was simply unhittable. They could easily win it all with that staff.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:We get it. Let's give it a break. Jewett is our head coach, that isn't changing. We need to embrace it and accept the fact and start pulling for him to be successful. Your post was just to stir things up.

I agree. And while I don't think the most recent team disliked Jewett, I really don't care if they did or not. They weren't recruited by him, and underperformed. 2019 and 2020 will tell me whether or not Jewett was meant to be a head coach. Again, who cares if the players he didn't recruit liked him? Even less so for those that never played for the man.
They did dislike Jewett. Since the seasons end I've seen multiple guys from this year's team "liking" tweets that were critical of Jewett and/or critical of Dannen for hiring Jewett.

You should care that the guys who he didn't recruit didn't like him. That's not a good sign for him. The same guys had no problems getting along with Pierce, another coach that didn't recruit them.

2019 and 2020 huh? Just giving him a pass for 2017 and 2018, that's weird
McWave
High Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
Seeing a lot of former Tulane players(Alemais, Yandel, Rogers etc.) showing lots of love for David Pierce on twitter this weekend. It's clear the players really liked and respected that staff. Not so sure that's the case with the new coaching staff.

Observation: what are the "players" saying about Jake (Gautreau) who recruited them. Was he a good coach? Did they like him? Did the prefer him over Pierce? What are they saying about Coach Pierce who didn't give Andy an assistant position at Tulane? So Andy ends up at LSU. I suspect there are a lot of opinions out there and for whatever reason this forum is pointing out the negative Jewett opinions. I am extremely happy for Andy. He's got a big pay check which Tulane could not match.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:Profoundwizard wrote:

Observation: what are the "players" saying about Jake (Gautreau) who recruited them. Was he a good coach? Did they like him? Did the prefer him over Pierce? What are they saying about Coach Pierce who didn't give Andy an assistant position at Tulane? So Andy ends up at LSU. I suspect there are a lot of opinions out there and for whatever reason this forum is pointing out the negative Jewett opinions. I am extremely happy for Andy. He's got a big pay check which Tulane could not match.
I don't think that anyone is saying much of anything about Gautreau right now. They obviously liked him seeing as he got them to come to Tulane. Don't know what they think of his coaching abilities. They seem to really love Pierce and his staff but I won't claim to know who they preferred.
Pierce brought over an established staff and it worked out. Why would anyone be upset that Pierce didn't bring in AC as an assistant? He probably didn't even know AC was interested in a college coaching job.

I'll point out the positive Jewett opinions when I see them.

Tulane had the chance to hire AC before MSU did, wouldn't have had to match that salary.
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote:Profoundwizard wrote:

The kids loved Jake he's the reason they signed. He's now one of the top scouts in the country. Pierce has had success with his current staff since his days at Sam Houston State. He brought them all to Tulane and then brought them all to Texas with him. Why mess with success? It definitely worked out for Andy and not for Tulane. Point is had Tulane hired him Miss St would have looked elsewhere perhaps Jewett. It's water over the bridge now.
McWave
High Tide

"He probably didn't even know AC was interested in a college coaching job."

So are you saying, Andy expressed no interest in an assistant job with Coach Pierce?

On anther note, where did Pierce's recruiting classes rank (2014, 2015, 2016)?
What recruiting classes did Pierce get to use (Jake's 2013 ranked top 25)?

I don't think Coach Jewett had similar quality talent on paper.

Time will tell if CJ can correct that.
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote:"He probably didn't even know AC was interested in a college coaching job."

So are you saying, Andy expressed no interest in an assistant job with Coach Pierce?

On anther note, where did Pierce's recruiting classes rank (2014, 2015, 2016)?
What recruiting classes did Pierce get to use (Jake's 2013 ranked top 25)?

I don't think Coach Jewett had similar quality talent on paper.

Time will tell if CJ can correct that.
Jewett had all but two on that top 25 2013 class and they were Sr's. They had enough talent where they should have made a regional. Just look at the Top 50 RPI wins. Jewett failed to have the team ready to start the season.