2017 Road to Omaha ends with Florida

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:"He probably didn't even know AC was interested in a college coaching job."

So are you saying, Andy expressed no interest in an assistant job with Coach Pierce?

On anther note, where did Pierce's recruiting classes rank (2014, 2015, 2016)?
What recruiting classes did Pierce get to use (Jake's 2013 ranked top 25)?

I don't think Coach Jewett had similar quality talent on paper.

Time will tell if CJ can correct that.
I have not heard that AC expressed interest in an assistant job with Pierce. Are you saying he did? That would be new info for me.

Everyone except Alemais and Rogers from the 2013 top 25 class was here this year playing for Jewett.

He definitely had similar talent to the 2015 team.

McWave
High Tide

I have no inside info into Andy's life. I just know what everyone does, he started his college coaching career at LSU not Tulane. Andy was the LSU hitting and recruiting coordinator. Two things Tulane could have used in 2015 and 2016. I think Tulane would be in a better position today if Andy was here in 2015 and 2016.

You think we don't make a regional with Alemais and Rogers this year? I disagree Alemais and Rogers were huge. Nobody took a base on Rogers and Alamais offered an offensive threat and defensive strength. The freshman replacements were not equivalent at this time. Montel-bomb-o was productive up to the injury but he was productive last year as well (pitching, hitting, 1B, etc.) His injury hurt tremendously.

Pitching is key. We were extremely thin there. I blame Coach Pierce for that. Others can point elsewhere. And I would be open to listen.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Miss. St. defeats So. Miss. 8 to 1. The teams play again @ 9:30 p.m. tonight, winner goes to the SuperRegional. Cannizaro to the SuperRegional in B.R.? The game is on ESPN 3.
DH sweep for Miss St. and Andy Cannizaro.
Big come from behind 8-6 win in the championship game.
Going to be tough to win 2 in the BR Super though.
True, but Paul Mainieri's TTTiiigggeeers(the way WWL'S Doug Mouton says it) have had a rough go of late in SuperRegionals? It should be a really good series to watch. I will be pulling for Andy.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:I have no inside info into Andy's life. I just know what everyone does, he started his college coaching career at LSU not Tulane. Andy was the LSU hitting and recruiting coordinator. Two things Tulane could have used in 2015 and 2016. I think Tulane would be in a better position today if Andy was here in 2015 and 2016.
Tulane did a fine job 2015 and 2016. Dannen had a chance to hire Cannizaro and yet you choose to blame Pierce for not hiring him. Weird.
You think we don't make a regional with Alemais and Rogers this year? I disagree Alemais and Rogers were huge. Nobody took a base on Rogers and Alamais offered an offensive threat and defensive strength. The freshman replacements were not equivalent at this time. Montel-bomb-o was productive up to the injury but he was productive last year as well (pitching, hitting, 1B, etc.) His injury hurt tremendously.

Pitching is key. We were extremely thin there. I blame Coach Pierce for that. Others can point elsewhere. And I would be open to listen
Alemais and Rogers weren't on the team, so it doesn't matter. Even without those 2 the offense didn't suffer. It was as good if not better without them this year. The freshman weren't equivalent, but guess what, nobody is saying that Jewett needed to accomplish what Pierce accomplished. The team didn't need to be equivalent, they didn't need to win the AAC, but they needed to be much better than they were.

Here's something to listen to, it's not on Pierce that Merrill and Massey greatly underperformed. It's not on Pierce that Jewett didn't know who the best guys in his bullpen were when the season began. It's not on Pierce that Jewett's staff couldn't develop a single one of the many freshman pitchers on the staff.
McWave
High Tide

It's not Coach Jewett's fault Tulane does not have one (ONE) projected 2017 MLB draft prospect in the BA Top 200.

Coach Jewett, as Vandy's recruiting coordinator has 4:

Kyle Write #4 RHP
Jeren Kendall #11 OF
Will Toffey #171 3B
Reed Harris #174 RHP

I like those numbers. Two pitchers in that number.

I suppose these players would have nice things to say about Coach Jewett. If you care about such things. I don't.
I believe there is not one player on Tulane's team which was recruited by Coach Jewett.

Please let me know how many of Pierce's Tulane recruits project as top 200 MLB draft picks in the up coming years. I understand he took a few to Texas when he left. I am not interested in those. But good for Coach P. He did what he needed to do to complete. But not good for Tulane and not Coach Jewett's fault.

The jury is out on Coach Jewett for me. I will continue to watch things play out. But I do not think this year is all on his shoulders. The coaching carousel has a lot to do with it. Tulane tried the "Tulane Guy" route and it was a disaster (2014). I like Jake G., Chad S. etc. but that was a mess. Maybe not their fault. I am not that close to the program.

I like Riser as well. But I also don't see any SELU players in the top 200 MLB projected draft. I think Matt has been the recruiting coordinator at SELU for several years. He did a lot with what he had.

I think Tulane ended up 27-31 and 82 RPI. RPI was probably close to the recruiting classes we had during 2014, 2015, 2016. So RPI about were one would expect. 2013 top recruits (Alamais and Rogers) not on the team or were injured early (Montelbano). So I discount the 2013 class contribution. The Pierce pitching transfers were a bust. Dehart had a much better year under Jewett. So what was the issue last year? (rhetorical)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote:It's not Coach Jewett's fault Tulane does not have one (ONE) projected 2017 MLB draft prospect in the BA Top 200.

Kyle Write #4 RHP
Jeren Kendall #11 OF
Will Toffey #171 3B
Reed Harris #174 RHP

I suppose these players would have nice things to say about Coach Jewett. If you care about such things. I don't.
I believe there is not one player on Tulane's team which was recruited by Coach Jewett.

Please let me know how many of Pierce's Tulane recruits project as top 200 MLB draft picks in the up coming years. I understand he took a few to Texas when he left. I am not interested in those. But good for Coach P. He did what he needed to do to complete. But not good for Tulane and not Coach Jewett's fault.

The jury is out on Coach Jewett for me. I will continue to watch things play out. But I do not think this year is all on his shoulders. The coaching carousel has a lot to do with it. Tulane tried the "Tulane Guy" route and it was a disaster (2014). I like Jake G., Chad S. etc. but that was a mess. Maybe not their fault. I am not that close to the program.

I like Riser as well. But I also don't see any SELU players in the top 200 MLB projected draft. I think Matt has been the recruiting coordinator at SELU for several years. He did a lot with what he had.

I think Tulane ended up 27-31 and 82 RPI. RPI was probably close to the recruiting classes we had during 2014, 2015, 2016. So RPI about were one would expect. 2013 top recruits (Alamais and Rogers) not on the team or were injured early (Montelbano). So I discount the 2013 class contribution. The Pierce pitching transfers were a bust. Dehart had a much better year under Jewett. So what was the issue last year? (rhetorical)
Recruiting to Vandy with 100% tuition support is easy. If you're a great BB player and offered a full ride to Vandy or a half ride to Tulane where you think those 4 guys are going?
Tulane RPI's with the 2013 class same talent only younger under Pierce.
2016 RPI #33
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2016/rpi
2015 RPI #49
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2016/rpi
Simple question here. Do you think Jewett's wins that Hattiesburg Regional coaching at Miss St?
IMO the answer is no. Even better question is do they even get to a regional?
For whatever reason the team didn't play well under his leadership. Hopefully he gets it figured out next year with 80% new faces. I call it as I see it. No green glasses. I expect next year we struggle even more than this year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:It's not Coach Jewett's fault Tulane does not have one (ONE) projected 2017 MLB draft prospect in the BA Top 200.

Kyle Write #4 RHP
Jeren Kendall #11 OF
Will Toffey #171 3B
Reed Harris #174 RHP

Congrats. It's much easier to recruit at Vandy, thanks captain obvious. Top MLB draft prospects are nice, but those guys aren't always the best college players and sometimes the best college players aren't top MLB draft prospects. See Hunter Williams being the AAC player of the Year and not being a highly rated prospect. We had a lot of good productive players on this team for the college level but their game just doesn't necessarily translate to the MLB.

I guess by Reed Harris you mean Reed Hayes? That's the closest to Reed Hayes I see on the Vandy Roster. He's got an ERA over 5. And he hit .290 with 0 HRs. We have a lot of guys that are more productive college baseball players than he is.

Ofcourse Southeastern isn't going to have a bunch of top 200 prospects. But they do have Mac Sceroler who is probably somewhere around top 200. If Riser came to Tulane he would be abled to recruit better players. Cant recruit nationally at Southeastern and the really good in-state kids are usually going to LSU/ULL/Tulane. He's done a great job with what he has to work with. He'd have a lot more to work with at Tulane.

Recruiting classes in 15 and 16 were 58 and 66, that's a lot better than the 82 RPI. That doesn't even count the addition of Dehart. They don't count JUCO signees.

Dehart's improvement this year likely had nothing to do with the change in staff. It's very common for JUCO baseball players to struggle for one their two years after going to D1

I don't think it all falls on Jewett either, but certainly a lot of it does. He doesn't get a pass for this season and bear no responsibility like some like to say.
We never actually tried the "Tulane Guy" thing either. 2/3rds of a season for Jake as an interim with a team full of freshman. How is that enough for you to make a judgement but this season isn't enough for you to say anything negative at all about Jewett?
McWave
High Tide

I don't have anything to add negatively against Tulane Head Baseball Coach Jewett. I think most Tulane fans on this site have covered it all. Thank you for the offer though. Maybe if you ask me about a Texas or Mississippi coach I can find something to add. Take care.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:I don't have anything to add negatively against Tulane Head Baseball Coach Jewett. I think most Tulane fans on this site have covered it all. Thank you for the offer though. Maybe if you ask me about a Texas or Mississippi coach I can find something to add. Take care.
Go ahead, make my day. Give us your take on Pierce and Cannizaro.

Just so we're clear here, you don't think Jewett bears any responsibility for the results this year?
McWave
High Tide

Travis Jewett is the head baseball coach. That makes him responsible. But being hired in mid August didnt give him much time to prepare. Don't bother telling me Andy was hired in November. MSU had a coach who recruited and handed Andy a complete roster and coaching staff. By the way, did Andy give Jake G or Chad S a call to assist with his new team? Jake is so highly thought of here. I have no desire to waste my time any more than I have already finding flaws with Coach Pierce or Andy. Time will tell.
McWave
High Tide

Well I've wasted more time and holy crap....Coach J is screwed on talent according to Perfect Game recruiting stats.

Here we go:

Vanderbilt Rank Avg player score
2013 6 5.46
2014 13 5.64
2015 1 8.50
2016 10 7.80

Coach J killed it. But it's Vandy. Everything's easy at Vandy but Andy would have done just as well at TU.

Tulane Rank Avg player score
2013 5 4.41
2014 Outside top 100 (this would be coach Pierce's first recruiting class)
2015 66 2.29
2016 58 2.62

Nice job Coach P. But it's not like Vandy. But Andy would have changed all that. Ok got it.

MSU Rank Avg player score
2013 17 3.93
2014 37 3.70
2015 2 4.82
2016 41 5.50

Andy has improved on these numbers for 2017 I believe.

Texas Rank Avg player score
2013 18 5.40
2014 17 5.64
2015 17 4.38
2016 11 6.09

Good talent which should do better than coming in second in a regional. Another nice job by coach P.

Only nine guys play at a time. Tulane's 2013 high rank was done with decent avg player value but 17 recruits. You can't play 17 at once.

My point. Talent is essential. TJ got talent at Vanderbilt. Coach P did not at Tulane. If u blame Tulane than don't tell me it would be different for Andy. It all starts with talent. And I am sure Perfect Game is biased in its analysis :mrgreen:
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:Travis Jewett is the head baseball coach. That makes him responsible. But being hired in mid August didnt give him much time to prepare. Don't bother telling me Andy was hired in November. MSU had a coach who recruited and handed Andy a complete roster and coaching staff. By the way, did Andy give Jake G or Chad S a call to assist with his new team? Jake is so highly thought of here. I have no desire to waste my time any more than I have already finding flaws with Coach Pierce or Andy. Time will tell.
Mid august? Try July 14th.
Andy was given a roster that was picked by the coaches in the SEC to finish 4th in the West. They ended up having something like 7 pitchers who were injured for the season. They ended up finishing 3rd in the SEC West. Overachieving.

Travis Jewett was handed a roster that was picked by the AAC coaches to finish in 3rd. His team ended up finishing in 5th. Underachieved.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:Well I've wasted more time and holy crap....Coach J is screwed on talent according to Perfect Game recruiting stats.

Here we go:

Vanderbilt Rank Avg player score
2013 6 5.46
2014 13 5.64
2015 1 8.50
2016 10 7.80

Coach J killed it. But it's Vandy. Everything's easy at Vandy but Andy would have done just as well at TU.

Tulane Rank Avg player score
2013 5 4.41
2014 Outside top 100 (this would be coach Pierce's first recruiting class)
2015 66 2.29
2016 58 2.62

Nice job Coach P. But it's not like Vandy. But Andy would have changed all that. Ok got it.

MSU Rank Avg player score
2013 17 3.93
2014 37 3.70
2015 2 4.82
2016 41 5.50

Andy has improved on these numbers for 2017 I believe.

Texas Rank Avg player score
2013 18 5.40
2014 17 5.64
2015 17 4.38
2016 11 6.09

Good talent which should do better than coming in second in a regional. Another nice job by coach P.

Only nine guys play at a time. Tulane's 2013 high rank was done with decent avg player value but 17 recruits. You can't play 17 at once.

My point. Talent is essential. TJ got talent at Vanderbilt. Coach P did not at Tulane. If u blame Tulane than don't tell me it would be different for Andy. It all starts with talent. And I am sure Perfect Game is biased in its analysis :mrgreen:
This is some pretty retarded analysis. Perfect Game had Hunter Williams with the lowest rating possible. He was the conference player of the year.
Coach P somehow managed to win with all these shitty Tulane players. Gotta give him credit for that. Also if you blame Coach P for the 2014 class that he had almost nothing to do with than you have to blame TJ for this years Freshman class.
McWave
High Tide

I forgot about Country. That's for proving my point. Coach J is awesome. Country won POY under the tutelage of Coach J. Coach P had him for two years and no POY. Also didn't Coach P work with USA baseball last summer. I don't recall Coach P offering a slot to the future AAC POY. Excellent talent evaluator that Pierce. Thanks for the reminder.
lurker123
Swell

Look Jewett is our coach. He had a decent resume when hired and not an off the wall one. I think consensus here is we underachieved this year but that's only one lap of the race while others that could have been hired did better this year elsewhere including Walter, AC and Riser and I guess Pierce for that matter. Those are all facts.

Interesting that South Carolina just canned a winning head coach who was the primary assistant and was promoted from a team that won back to back NCs and then went to CWS again. But no championships since then. We haven't even been to the CWS since before Katrina.

So that was a slam dunk internal hire that at least from South Carolina's AD's expected performance standards did not work. Note he gave the coach five years. Some here are at DefCon 2 and headed to 1 and nuclear war after just one disappointing season.

TD and TJ own this. I support them since I support Tulane. As I said earlier, I'm rooting for them to elevate their performance.

Meanwhile I guess some around here will prefer to continue the Cultural Revolution style of self-criticism and self-abasement until Tulane athletics is properly "reformed."
McWave
High Tide

"Andy was given a roster that was picked by the coaches in the SEC to finish 4th in the West."

And MSU came in.......3rd. MSU 17-13 (Conference) Auburn 16-14, and TAM 16-14.

I would expect a 3-4th place SEC team to make post season as they did. Andy did a good job to make it out of the regional. I don't give credit for losing a game and having to fight back through the loser's bracket. Especially when MSU lose was to South Alabama.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:I forgot about Country. That's for proving my point. Coach J is awesome. Country won POY under the tutelage of Coach J. Coach P had him for two years and no POY. Also didn't Coach P work with USA baseball last summer. I don't recall Coach P offering a slot to the future AAC POY. Excellent talent evaluator that Pierce. Thanks for the reminder.
If Country didn't get hurt last year he'd have had a good chance to win POY.

No Coach P didn't work with USA baseball last Summer. He was going to but things changed when he took the Texas job
Show Me
Tsunami

I read where some people have said that Jewett has been successful everywhere he's been. But he's not been successful here as a head coach. Some guys are just not head coaches (Curtis Johnson). Why has he been an assistant for almost 20 years in a business that knows head coaching potential? Cannizzaro and Riser both got HC jobs almost immediately and won right out the gate. It's frustrating to me that Dannen wants to change the winning culture we had in the baseball program. What worries me is that Dannen killed baseball at his last stop. If Jewett leaves or is fired we have to depend on an AD that many regard as making the worst coaching decision in Tulane baseball history to pick his successor.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got word the Tennessee job was filled by Ark assistant Tony Vitello.
http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/co ... 377260001/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote:I read where some people have said that Jewett has been successful everywhere he's been. But he's not been successful here as a head coach. Some guys are just not head coaches (Curtis Johnson). Why has he been an assistant for almost 20 years in a business that knows head coaching potential? Cannizzaro and Riser both got HC jobs almost immediately and won right out the gate. It's frustrating to me that Dannen wants to change the winning culture we had in the baseball program. What worries me is that Dannen killed baseball at his last stop. If Jewett leaves or is fired we have to depend on an AD that many regard as making the worst coaching decision in Tulane baseball history to pick his successor.
Jewett's teams weren't very successful when he was an assistant at Gonzaga and Washington St either
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
McWave wrote:I forgot about Country. That's for proving my point. Coach J is awesome. Country won POY under the tutelage of Coach J. Coach P had him for two years and no POY. Also didn't Coach P work with USA baseball last summer. I don't recall Coach P offering a slot to the future AAC POY. Excellent talent evaluator that Pierce. Thanks for the reminder.
If Country didn't get hurt last year he'd have had a good chance to win POY.

No Coach P didn't work with USA baseball last Summer. He was going to but things changed when he took the Texas job

actually coach pierce did work with team usa last year just not the whole year. Was standing in dodger stadium when he got the job offer from ut.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Personally, i'm extremely excited to see what jewett can do with our resources!! His 2017 class he put together was short of phenomenal considering the amount of time he had and the lack of resources. Several LHP coming in to be excited about along some top notch jucos that hopefully wont get drafted. Recruiting is not where it needs to be to become omaha team, which has to do with lack of resources from fitts and dannen, but jeweetss first class is light years ahead of anything pierce put together in 3 years.

I don't know why everyone is defending pierce. I guess put me in the minority with david pierce, what he recruited to tulane was short of embarrassing. Yes we went to 2 regionals, but he viewed tulane as a stepping stone and wasnt planning on being here for more than 3 years. He could care less about us...the exact opposite of Rick Jones. Which is evident in his recruiting. The recruiting between Jewett and Pierce is night and day.

Yall tell me how many players you recognize from pierce not doing his job.

Pierces 1st class:

Brandon Seguira
Brandon Issa
Ranier Ausmus
Jackson Johnson
Jake Crane
Nico Symington

Pierce 2nd Class:

Jordan Hicks
Anthony Forte
Garrett Gray
Tyler heinrich
Ross Massey - Recruited himself
Cade Edwards
Luke Glancy
Bobby Moskow
Jonathon Artigues
Grant Witherspoon
Alex Galy
Peter Bovenzi

Pierce 3rd Class:

Brandon Fraley - kicked off for drugs
Paul Gozzo
Sal Gozzo
Chase Solesky
Kody Hoese
Kobi Owen
Burton Schanke
Jack Hogan
Michael Kirsch
Robbie Price
Hunter Abdallas
Joe Singley
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

With that being said, i dont believe we will be back to omaha until dannen and fitts get us stacking for baseball. We are still not where we want to be recruiting wise. My point was jewetts first class is better than any of pierces.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:With that being said, i dont believe we will be back to omaha until dannen and fitts get us stacking for baseball. We are still not where we want to be recruiting wise. My point was jewetts first class is better than any of pierces.
What exactly is this stacking issue? Is it that Tulane chooses not to stack baseball and academic aid if the athlete meets the NCAA requirements for stacking? If not, it just sounds like Tulane needs more need-based money, which is obvious since Tulane doesn't guarantee to meet 100% of need the way that the wealthy private research universities do ($3B+ endowment).
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:Personally, i'm extremely excited to see what jewett can do with our resources!! His 2017 class he put together was short of phenomenal considering the amount of time he had and the lack of resources. Several LHP coming in to be excited about along some top notch jucos that hopefully wont get drafted. Recruiting is not where it needs to be to become omaha team, which has to do with lack of resources from fitts and dannen, but jeweetss first class is light years ahead of anything pierce put together in 3 years.

I don't know why everyone is defending pierce. I guess put me in the minority with david pierce, what he recruited to tulane was short of embarrassing. Yes we went to 2 regionals, but he viewed tulane as a stepping stone and wasnt planning on being here for more than 3 years. He could care less about us...the exact opposite of Rick Jones. Which is evident in his recruiting. The recruiting between Jewett and Pierce is night and day.

Yall tell me how many players you recognize from pierce not doing his job.

Pierces 1st class:

Brandon Seguira
Brandon Issa
Ranier Ausmus
Jackson Johnson
Jake Crane
Nico Symington

Pierce 2nd Class:

Jordan Hicks
Anthony Forte
Garrett Gray
Tyler heinrich
Ross Massey - Recruited himself
Cade Edwards
Luke Glancy
Bobby Moskow
Jonathon Artigues
Grant Witherspoon
Alex Galy
Peter Bovenzi

Pierce 3rd Class:

Brandon Fraley - kicked off for drugs
Paul Gozzo
Sal Gozzo
Chase Solesky
Kody Hoese
Kobi Owen
Burton Schanke
Jack Hogan
Michael Kirsch
Robbie Price
Hunter Abdallas
Joe Singley
I don't care if Pierce or anyone else views us as a stepping stone or not. All I care about is if they win ballgames. Pierce did. But in reality You have no idea if he was planning on leaving after 3 years, that's totally made up. The best job in the country came open and they offered him the job. Would've been insane for him to not take the Texas job.

That 1st class is a Gautreau class. Don't put that on Pierce.

The Perfect Game rating for Pierce's classes are about the same as this class Jewett is bringing in.

As for Fraley being kicked off the team for drugs, that's the 1st I've heard of that.