2017 Road to Omaha ends with Florida

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Florida and Oregon St both stay in the winners bracket. Each need one more win to advance to the CWS Championship.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ANY college baseball coach making $1.8 million is overpaid. I really question if that's his true salary.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:ANY college baseball coach making $1.8 million is overpaid. I really question if that's his true salary.
When your school is raking in $40M a year from TV rights from being in a P5, you can be wasteful wherever you want to be. TCU happens to want to spend some on baseball.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:ANY college baseball coach making $1.8 million is overpaid. I really question if that's his true salary.
Rumors are that it's at least around $1.5M.
https://www.frogsowar.com/2016/6/27/119 ... se-looming
RobertM320 wrote:When your school is raking in $40M a year from TV rights from being in a P5, you can be wasteful wherever you want to be. TCU happens to want to spend some on baseball.
Some of this. TCU is doing so well that it's overpaying its coach and it's opening a new (jointly owned) medical school. If things continue the way that they're going - for both TCU and Tulane - it wouldn't be surprising if TCU would be looking down at Tulane in a decade or two.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

$1.4 base, post season bonus money, plus show, shoe and bat deals put him at $1.8mm.
Yep and he's earned it. 5 CWS appearances in total plus the last 4 years in a row. As their AD stated, "Baseball is our brand".
If you're going to compete in any sport you should try to be the best in it as TCU does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
$1.4 base, post season bonus money, plus show, shoe and bat deals put him at $1.8mm.
Yep and he's earned it. 5 CWS appearances in total plus the last 4 years in a row. As their AD stated, "Baseball is our brand".
If you're going to compete in any sport you should try to be the best in it as TCU does.
Has TCU reaped $1.8 million from their 5 CWS appearances combined? HELL NO! There is ZERO monetary payout for making or even winning the college world series. The money is there in football and basketball, it's not there to justify such a salary in baseball. There needs to be an ROI. There isn't a positive one in this sport. Maybe they break even overall, maybe not after paying $1.8 million to the coach. I'm not saying he isn't a great coach, I'm just saying the economics of college baseball don't justify such a salary.
http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014 ... ld-series/
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Has TCU reaped $1.8 million from their 5 CWS appearances combined? HELL NO! There is ZERO monetary payout for making or even winning the college world series. The money is there in football and basketball, it's not there to justify such a salary in baseball. There needs to be an ROI. There isn't a positive one in this sport. Maybe they break even overall, maybe not after paying $1.8 million to the coach. I'm not saying he isn't a great coach, I'm just saying the economics of college baseball don't justify such a salary.
http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014 ... ld-series/
Might as well shut down all the sports except football then using that logic. Same can be said for any sport outside of universities of P5 conferences. Might as well shut them all down. No womens sports produce profit outside of a select few in basketball. Might as well shut all those down too. Because its only about ROI, right? And the only Mens sports that post a profit is Football across the board and that isnt even a given for all teams either. Of the non P5 universities, only 1 in 5 post a profit in mens basketball. Thats it, the other 80% might as well shut that down too.

My question is, why target baseball? None of these others are producing a profit either, yet you have some of majority of D1 baskeball coaches making millions, ours included. In fact, if someone has time i'd like to see the profit of LSU, Ole MIss, MSU baseball profit vs their basketball profit.

Thats the problem with these ADs these days, unviersity athletics is now all about money. It started out about being about school pride and the student athlete, and now you have these MBAs who are ADs that think they know more about what it means being a student athlete then the actual student athlete.

I get it, we need money to operate. Money comes from football and subsidizes basketball and everything else. You are unfairly targeting baseball like its the only sport not posting profits.

Like the TCU Ad said...."football is our enterprise, but baseball is our brand".

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/31/news/co ... index.html
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Pepper
Swell

TCU made over 1 mill in ticket sales last year. More than justifiable.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote: My question is, why target baseball? None of these others are producing a profit either, yet you have some of majority of D1 baskeball coaches making millions, ours included. In fact, if someone has time i'd like to see the profit of LSU, Ole MIss, MSU baseball profit vs their basketball profit.
The reason I "targeted" baseball is that the discussion went to Coach Schloss making $1.8 million/year. I think that's overpriced for ANY coach at ANY program in college baseball. So what if TCU generated $1 million in ticket sales? That's not close to covering his compensation. And if we're going to look at three SEC schools' baseball profits and compare them to the basketball profits, why not take Kentucky? (A: Because it doesn't fit your argument.)
chain gang x man
Swell

ESPN announces that this year’s @NCAACWS is up 95% in terms of television viewers from the first six games of the #CWS last season.

Must be because of LSU presence

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:ESPN announces that this year’s @NCAACWS is up 95% in terms of television viewers from the first six games of the #CWS last season.

Wow!
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:ESPN announces that this year’s @NCAACWS is up 95% in terms of television viewers from the first six games of the #CWS last season.

I think it may be because both TCU and Texas A&M are in Omaha...look at the TV sets in the DFW Metroplex as well as Houston, those two markets by themselves most probably doubles the entire state of Louisiana ...Hell, here in Austin A&M is getting local coverage, but i guess it it because most of the metro elected officials are A&M grads !!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:

I think it may be because both TCU and Texas A&M are in Omaha...look at the TV sets in the DFW Metroplex as well as Houston, those two markets by themselves most probably doubles the entire state of Louisiana ...Hell, here in Austin A&M is getting local coverage, but i guess it it because most of the metro elected officials are A&M grads !!
Don't tell the LSU people. They think they are the center of the universe and everything revolves around them
Profoundwizard
Swell

Let me tell you, that LSU team ain't up to par. :lol:

Makes me sick that they still have a shot
sader24
Tsunami

Hate to tell you guys but it is mostly because of LSU. New Orleans had the highest TV rating for the first few games with a 7.2 rating. I think next highest was Portland with 2.8 I believe.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I have watched every CWS game played this year. Even on my phone when out. It's been the most entertaining CWS I've ever watched. (Not counting 2001 & 2005 that I attended in person)
Some really great baseball being played.
Congrats to coach Schlossnagle for extending play tonight. I'm sure both LSU and OSU are happy about that.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:Let me tell you, that LSU team ain't up to par. :lol:

That's right your the guy that knows more than the media that covers them every day. Knows more than their fans. Fact is they weren't playing like this all year. Poche got off to a phenomenal start and then faltered for a while. Lange had rough outings. Walker started solid then tailed off before heating up late. Hess certainly wasn't pitching all year like he is now. Same with Gilbert. They lacked a midweek starter and didn't have depth in the bullpen. They are not the first team to put it all together late . Manieri is a great coach and he knows how to develop players. He trots them out and test them and builds their confidence. AC is lucky to come from his coaching tree. But enough with reason. Back to the laughs. Thanks I need them.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:

That's right your the guy that knows more than the media that covers them every day. Knows more than their fans. Fact is they weren't playing like this all year. Poche got off to a phenomenal start and then faltered for a while. Lange had rough outings. Walker started solid then tailed off before heating up late. Hess certainly wasn't pitching all year like he is now. Same with Gilbert. They lacked a midweek starter and didn't have depth in the bullpen. They are not the first team to put it all together late . Manieri is a great coach and he knows how to develop players. He trots them out and test them and builds their confidence. AC is lucky to come from his coaching tree. But enough with reason. Back to the laughs. Thanks I need them.
*you're
I probably do know more than the media that covers them everyday. Ross Dellenger and Andrew Lopez aren't exactly great baseball minds. I definitely know more than most of their fans.
The only thing different about them from most of the season is Hess. You're right, they lacked a midweek starter, but it doesn't matter. Ideally you will never have to use a 4th starter in the postseason.
There's a reason why the media that actually knows college baseball never had them ranked worse than 13.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks I needed that laugh.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:

Am I wrong, or did LSU have a 16 or 18 game winning streak broken by OSU? Kinda hard to say they weren't playing like this all year when they were top 10 all year and came into the CWS with the 2nd longest winning streak in D1 baseball.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:

Am I wrong, or did LSU have a 16 or 18 game winning streak broken by OSU? Kinda hard to say they weren't playing like this all year when they were top 10 all year and came into the CWS with the 2nd longest winning streak in D1 baseball.
They were literally top 10 according to D1baseball in their poll every week except for 3 weeks. Those weeks they were 12,12 and 13th. But this guy thinks they weren't playing well until the last couple weeks of the season.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:

Mainieri is lucky AC recruited this phenomenal talented team.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:

D- They have played 69 games. I hope you understand it now. They also weren't top 10 all year and fell out of the top 20 at one point in one or two of the polls. There were several weeks where the fan base was calling for his head.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:

They were literally top 10 according to D1baseball in their poll every week except for 3 weeks. Those weeks they were 12,12 and 13th. But this guy thinks they weren't playing well until the last couple weeks of the season.
There are several polls and they dropped them more than that. But again you know more than all the media that follows them and their entire fan base. Keep spewing the hate. You'll feel better when its all out.