2017 Road to Omaha ends with Florida

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Pepper
Swell

Pierce could coach but not recruit. Jewett the opposite. Time will tells on the recruits. I am hoping to see improvement.

"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:With that being said, i dont believe we will be back to omaha until dannen and fitts get us stacking for baseball. We are still not where we want to be recruiting wise. My point was jewetts first class is better than any of pierces.
What exactly is this stacking issue? Is it that Tulane chooses not to stack baseball and academic aid if the athlete meets the NCAA requirements for stacking? If not, it just sounds like Tulane needs more need-based money, which is obvious since Tulane doesn't guarantee to meet 100% of need the way that the wealthy private research universities do ($3B+ endowment).
They do stack academic aid.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:Personally, i'm extremely excited to see what jewett can do with our resources!! His 2017 class he put together was short of phenomenal considering the amount of time he had and the lack of resources. Several LHP coming in to be excited about along some top notch jucos that hopefully wont get drafted. Recruiting is not where it needs to be to become omaha team, which has to do with lack of resources from fitts and dannen, but jeweetss first class is light years ahead of anything pierce put together in 3 years.

I don't know why everyone is defending pierce. I guess put me in the minority with david pierce, what he recruited to tulane was short of embarrassing. Yes we went to 2 regionals, but he viewed tulane as a stepping stone and wasnt planning on being here for more than 3 years. He could care less about us...the exact opposite of Rick Jones. Which is evident in his recruiting. The recruiting between Jewett and Pierce is night and day.

Yall tell me how many players you recognize from pierce not doing his job.

Pierces 1st class:

Brandon Seguira
Brandon Issa
Ranier Ausmus
Jackson Johnson
Jake Crane
Nico Symington

Pierce 2nd Class:

Jordan Hicks
Anthony Forte
Garrett Gray
Tyler heinrich
Ross Massey - Recruited himself
Cade Edwards
Luke Glancy
Bobby Moskow
Jonathon Artigues
Grant Witherspoon
Alex Galy
Peter Bovenzi

Pierce 3rd Class:

Brandon Fraley - kicked off for drugs
Paul Gozzo
Sal Gozzo
Chase Solesky
Kody Hoese
Kobi Owen
Burton Schanke
Jack Hogan
Michael Kirsch
Robbie Price
Hunter Abdallas
Joe Singley
I don't care if Pierce or anyone else views us as a stepping stone or not. All I care about is if they win ballgames. Pierce did. But in reality You have no idea if he was planning on leaving after 3 years, that's totally made up. The best job in the country came open and they offered him the job. Would've been insane for him to not take the Texas job.

That 1st class is a Gautreau class. Don't put that on Pierce.

The Perfect Game rating for Pierce's classes are about the same as this class Jewett is bringing in.

As for Fraley being kicked off the team for drugs, that's the 1st I've heard of that.
fine i wont put that 1st class on pierce, doesnt look any better....the next two are awful and they are his. Rumor from the beginning was he wasnt going to be here very long...that was no secret. He either was using us as a stepping stone, or he was incompetent recruiter and the worst recruiter ever. I guess you are saying its the latter.

Now its like our baseball program is coming out of the death penalty and starting from scratch, in which we have no players because pierce didnt recruit.
Jewett had to find a whole roster to replace in a matter of months taking the job in year 1.

Its no secret our entire class is juco which is not accounted for in perfect game rankings...nice try though.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually the class is split pretty evenly between HS and JC players.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:Personally, i'm extremely excited to see what jewett can do with our resources!! His 2017 class he put together was short of phenomenal considering the amount of time he had and the lack of resources. Several LHP coming in to be excited about along some top notch jucos that hopefully wont get drafted. Recruiting is not where it needs to be to become omaha team, which has to do with lack of resources from fitts and dannen, but jeweetss first class is light years ahead of anything pierce put together in 3 years.

I don't know why everyone is defending pierce. I guess put me in the minority with david pierce, what he recruited to tulane was short of embarrassing. Yes we went to 2 regionals, but he viewed tulane as a stepping stone and wasnt planning on being here for more than 3 years. He could care less about us...the exact opposite of Rick Jones. Which is evident in his recruiting. The recruiting between Jewett and Pierce is night and day.

Pierces 1st class:

Brandon Seguira
Brandon Issa
Ranier Ausmus
Jackson Johnson
Jake Crane
Nico Symington

Pierce 2nd Class:

Jordan Hicks
Anthony Forte
Garrett Gray
Tyler heinrich
Cade Edwards
Luke Glancy
Bobby Moskow
Jonathon Artigues
Grant Witherspoon
Alex Galy
Peter Bovenzi

Pierce 3rd Class:

Paul Gozzo
Sal Gozzo
Chase Solesky
Kody Hoese
Kobi Owen
Burton Schanke
Jack Hogan
Michael Kirsch
Robbie Price
Hunter Abdallas
Joe Singley
I don't care if Pierce or anyone else views us as a stepping stone or not. All I care about is if they win ballgames. Pierce did. But in reality You have no idea if he was planning on leaving after 3 years, that's totally made up. The best job in the country came open and they offered him the job. Would've been insane for him to not take the Texas job.

The Perfect Game rating for Pierce's classes are about the same as this class Jewett is bringing in.

As for Fraley being kicked off the team for drugs, that's the 1st I've heard of that.
fine i wont put that 1st class on pierce, doesnt look any better....the next two are awful and they are his. Rumor from the beginning was he wasnt going to be here very long...that was no secret. He either was using us as a stepping stone, or he was incompetent recruiter and the worst recruiter ever. I guess you are saying its the latter.

Now its like our baseball program is coming out of the death penalty and starting from scratch, in which we have no players because pierce didnt recruit.
Jewett had to find a whole roster to replace in a matter of months taking the job in year 1.

Its no secret our entire class is juco which is not accounted for in perfect game rankings...nice try though.
The death penalty? That is Laugh out loud funny. Come on, now you're just making big time excuses for Jewett. That's a crazy statement.

To use somebody as a stepping stone, that means you have to win. You saying he wasnt trying to recruit is asinine. Now I would agree that he didnt do a very good job recruiting but I believe he'd probably have done a good enough job of coaching to win with whoever he did bring in. By your logic, he absolutely had to leave Tulane after last year, but clearly that was not his intention. If so he'd have probably taken something like the Alabama job and wouldnt have risked waiting for the Texas job to fall to him.

The entire class isnt JUCO. Stop making excuses for Jewett. Hold him to the same standards you're holding Pierce to right now.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:With that being said, i dont believe we will be back to omaha until dannen and fitts get us stacking for baseball. We are still not where we want to be recruiting wise. My point was jewetts first class is better than any of pierces.
What exactly is this stacking issue? Is it that Tulane chooses not to stack baseball and academic aid if the athlete meets the NCAA requirements for stacking? If not, it just sounds like Tulane needs more need-based money, which is obvious since Tulane doesn't guarantee to meet 100% of need the way that the wealthy private research universities do ($3B+ endowment).
Then I'm at a loss at what posters are complaining about.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Then I'm at a loss at what posters are complaining about.
Need based aid is not stacked. More baseball players qualify for need based then qualify for academic scholarships. I believe you now need a 32 ACT to qualify for academic.
Example: Tulane baseball says we have $20,000 for you. Admissions says you qualify for $25,000 need based aid. Most would think wow that's $45,000 I can now afford to go.
Wrong. You can only get the higher of the two. Need based money is not added to it or "stacked".
If privates could stack it would help with the 11.7 restrictions. The amount is actually reduced by the money given elsewhere. In that example your need based amount would be reduced to $5,000. So in effect the total would be $25,000. If "need based stacking" were allowed it would be $45,000.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Pierces 1st class:

Brandon Seguira
Brandon Issa
Ranier Ausmus
Jackson Johnson
Jake Crane
Nico Symington

Pierce 2nd Class:

Jordan Hicks
Anthony Forte
Garrett Gray
Tyler heinrich
Cade Edwards
Luke Glancy
Bobby Moskow
Jonathon Artigues
Grant Witherspoon
Alex Galy
Peter Bovenzi

Pierce 3rd Class:

Paul Gozzo
Sal Gozzo
Chase Solesky
Kody Hoese
Kobi Owen
Burton Schanke
Jack Hogan
Michael Kirsch
Robbie Price
Hunter Abdallas
Joe Singley

The death penalty? That is Laugh out loud funny. Come on, now you're just making big time excuses for Jewett. That's a crazy statement.

To use somebody as a stepping stone, that means you have to win. You saying he wasnt trying to recruit is asinine. Now I would agree that he didnt do a very good job recruiting but I believe he'd probably have done a good enough job of coaching to win with whoever he did bring in. By your logic, he absolutely had to leave Tulane after last year, but clearly that was not his intention. If so he'd have probably taken something like the Alabama job and wouldnt have risked waiting for the Texas job to fall to him.

The entire class isnt JUCO. Stop making excuses for Jewett. Hold him to the same standards you're holding Pierce to right now.
Half the class is juco and you know that. Quit making excuses for Pierce as to why we don't have any players to play with next year. And by the way, he was going to accept the job at Alabama and it was offered to him.
Profoundwizard
Swell

That's correct, about half the class is JUCO. Nobody going to argue that, you said that it was entirely JUCO guys.
I don't have to make excuses for Pierce and I haven't done so. He won when he was here. He's gone now, wins and losses are now on Jewett.

By the way, I think you're making things up again. If Alabama could have had Pierce, they would have taken him. Quit making things up.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:That's correct, about half the class is JUCO. Nobody going to argue that, you said that it was entirely JUCO guys.
I don't have to make excuses for Pierce and I haven't done so. He won when he was here. He's gone now, wins and losses are now on Jewett.

By the way, I think you're making things up again. If Alabama could have had Pierce, they would have taken him. Quit making things up.
Agreed wins and losses are on jewett this year. But how is he going to win since Pierce didn't leave him with anyone on the team. Fact, they offered he turned them down because he was finalist for ut...he took a risk. If ut wasn't in picture he was gone to bama. Obviously I can't give my source , but lets just say it came from a horses mouth. Doesn't take much to figure out who it is, can only be handful of people their amigo.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:That's correct, about half the class is JUCO. Nobody going to argue that, you said that it was entirely JUCO guys.

Agreed wins and losses are on jewett this year. But how is he going to win since Pierce didn't leave him with anyone on the team. Fact, they offered he turned them down. Obviously I can't give my source , but lets just say it came from a horses mouth. Doesn't take much to figure out who it is, can only be handful of people their amigo.

Difference between us is the info I know I don't post, anytime you get a whiff its on here in 30 seconds.
How is he going to win games? Recruit good players, that's how. His best quality is supposed to be his ability to recruit.
Ok, now you're confusing me. 1st you say Pierce wanted the Alabama job and now you say "Fact, they offered he turned them down". Which is it?

I'm not sure what info you do have. If you have info, I'm not sure why it would be a bad thing to share what you know. I thought that was the whole point of these boards.
My sources say that you're not correct on your info that Brandon Fraley was kicked off the team for drugs. I don't know maybe your source is correct, but that's not what I heard.
McWave
High Tide

It's not confusing. Pierce preferred the Texas job over the Alabama job. He preferred both over Tulane. I recall Texas being called his "dream job". Therefore it was worth the risk to hold out for the Texas job.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If someone who is close enough to the team to answer this question can do so, I think it will shed a light on recruiting the last few years: How many of the 11.5 scholarships have graduated this past May?

It was brought up either earlier in this thread or in another thread that the 2013 class, considered our last really good recruiting class, took all of the scholarships and that we didn't have any, or very little to offer the last three years. I don't know if that's accurate or not. If it is, it sure explains the hand that was dealt that Pierce got to play. It also means he wasn't necessarily a bad recruiter, just didn't have much to work with. I don't wish anything bad on Pierce for leaving after 3 years. UT might be the best baseball job in the country, though it was clearly THE best job a few years ago.

The other question I have is this: If baseball has the potential to grow into a money making sport (and that's a HUGE IF) how soon does the NCAA raise the 11.5 scholarships to the 20+ level? With all the money flowing in the "Power" conferences, it seems like the NCAA, which is all about money first and foremost, would be willing to loosen the purse strings and get rid of the ridiculously low scholarship limit. Then again, NCAA and logic are mutually exclusive.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D- It's 11.7. Pierce left after 2 years. As for large classes even if you sign 10 that doesn't eat up 10 scholarships. It might be 5 or so. Then you have a couple of more graduate every year so scholarships are available.

As for growing into a money sport that's not going to happen. The story about how few schools make money on baseball is in the economics on baseball thread. The tv money isn't there for that sport. As you always say it is a minor sport and many in the country don't care about it in the least.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:If someone who is close enough to the team to answer this question can do so, I think it will shed a light on recruiting the last few years: How many of the 11.5 scholarships have graduated this past May?

It was brought up either earlier in this thread or in another thread that the 2013 class, considered our last really good recruiting class, took all of the scholarships and that we didn't have any, or very little to offer the last three years. I don't know if that's accurate or not. If it is, it sure explains the hand that was dealt that Pierce got to play. It also means he wasn't necessarily a bad recruiter, just didn't have much to work with. I don't wish anything bad on Pierce for leaving after 3 years. UT might be the best baseball job in the country, though it was clearly THE best job a few years ago.

The other question I have is this: If baseball has the potential to grow into a money making sport (and that's a HUGE IF) how soon does the NCAA raise the 11.5 scholarships to the 20+ level? With all the money flowing in the "Power" conferences, it seems like the NCAA, which is all about money first and foremost, would be willing to loosen the purse strings and get rid of the ridiculously low scholarship limit. Then again, NCAA and logic are mutually exclusive.
A lot of scholarship being tied up does seem to make sense. Especially when Alemais and Rogers were here. I'd bet they had a very good scholarship. Hunter Hope, Kaplan, France and Merrill were all highly touted out of HS too. That's a good question though, I do wonder how much of the scholarship money was tied with that 2013 class.

Title IX is why baseball scholarships are stuck at 11.7 for now.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: A lot of scholarship being tied up does seem to make sense. Especially when Alemais and Rogers were here. I'd bet they had a very good scholarship. Hunter Hope, Kaplan, France and Merrill were all highly touted out of HS too. That's a good question though, I do wonder how much of the scholarship money was tied with that 2013 class.

Title IX is why baseball scholarships are stuck at 11.7 for now.
Over 90%. People that say Pierce didn't recruit had no clue why.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I've found myself really enjoying watching the SR's this year. It's been some great games and some fun underdogs to pull for. Only thing better will be to be in person seeing us back there one day.
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge

im thnking that the 11.7 scholorship limit is here to stay, especially since it helps most p5 schools because most are state universities. So if they have a program like TOPS in place,they can have locals come for free. This helps them load up on full rides for the out of state blue chippers. Now privates can get around by offering academic scholarships. But a school like Tulane has to want to do it.
As far as what school Schlos is ideal job is, I hope it isnt LSU. ;)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wavemania wrote:im thnking that the 11.7 scholorship limit is here to stay, especially since it helps most p5 schools because most are state universities. So if they have a program like TOPS in place,they can have locals come for free. This helps them load up on full rides for the out of state blue chippers. Now privates can get around by offering academic scholarships. But a school like Tulane has to want to do it.
As far as what school Schlos is ideal job is, I hope it isnt LSU. ;)
No. Thank God!
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to TCU and coach Jim Schlossnagle for making to Omaha for the 5th time!

Good read here from May '17. Includes some Tulane info.
Amazing Schloss started at TCU making $65K. He's now at $1.8 mill
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt ... 13254.html
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:Congrats to TCU and coach Jim Schlossnagle for making to Omaha for the 5th time!

Thanks for posting...people don't realize how bad that TCU job was when he took it. It took a vision from everyone. This quote from TCU AD was interesting. Please forward to Troy Dannen.

“I always tell everyone, football is the enterprise but TCU baseball is our brand,” Del Conte said Sunday
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Congrats to TCU and coach Jim Schlossnagle for making to Omaha for the 5th time!

Thanks for posting...people don't realize how bad that TCU job was when he took it. It took a vision from everyone. This quote from TCU AD was interesting. Please forward to Troy Dannen.

“I always tell everyone, football is the enterprise but TCU baseball is our brand,” Del Conte said Sunday
Something very interesting here:
Did you know: Jim Schlossnagle does not like to give away outs. The Horned Frogs have dropped down just three sacrifice bunts all year long, tied with Cornell for the fewest in the country.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

since we ain't goin' to Omaha and it's Fathers Day / US Open week end, may I suggest the movie "Dead, Solid Perfect" with Randy Quaid... ( forget Tin Cup, even if all of the US Open Scenes were filmed in the Houston "burbs of Kingwood )..Quaid does all of his own playing, at the time of the filming he was a single digit handicap and who knows, some may find another use for vaseline.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The two hottest teams in the country (Oregon St winners of 22 in a row vs LSU winners of 17 in a row) meet tonight at 6pm. I believe the ultimate CWS winner will be decided with tonight's winner.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:The two hottest teams in the country (Oregon St winners of 22 in a row vs LSU winners of 17 in a row) meet tonight at 6pm. I believe the ultimate CWS winner will be decided with tonight's winner.
Well the hottest team crushed the 2nd hottest team. Beavers chew up the Tigers 13-1 and "show me" why they are the best team in the country.