How did Tulane not hire this guy?

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Show Me
Tsunami

Avery Johnson lands the top 3 recruiting class for Alabama basketball at a football mad school in a mediocre basketball league.
http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/ind ... the_n.html

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

a bigger question...how did LSU not hire him ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

Hilarious
Indeed it did -- to the surprise of many. He fought off the sport's traditional powers while convincing recruits to come play at a university where the football team rules and the enthusiasm for basketball is tepid.

His pitch?

"This is a beautiful campus," he said. "We got the best landscaping department, academics, social life....And if you love sports, this is the place to be."
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It seems like he sold elite football to get recruits to buy into basketball. It's smart, but it's surprising that it's taken Alabama this long to do this, as it's one of the few elite football programs with consistently average basketball.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It seems like he sold elite football to get recruits to buy into basketball. It's smart, but it's surprising that it's taken Alabama this long to do this, as it's one of the few elite football programs with consistently average basketball.
I liked Avery. Wanted him here. I met him a few times. I think it's more about him as a coach and his personality that has led to Bama's recruiting success. I think the CJ failure probably had people worried Avery would be CJ2. He seems to relate to kids pretty well. I think you see that trait with most successful basketball coaches. LSU football hasn't helped LSU basketball. However if they pick the right coach I think they could become a real power one day.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:It seems like he sold elite football to get recruits to buy into basketball. It's smart, but it's surprising that it's taken Alabama this long to do this, as it's one of the few elite football programs with consistently average basketball.
I liked Avery. Wanted him here. I met him a few times. I think it's more about him as a coach and his personality that has led to Bama's recruiting success. I think the CJ failure probably had people worried Avery would be CJ2. He seems to relate to kids pretty well. I think you see that trait with most successful basketball coaches. LSU football hasn't helped LSU basketball. However if they pick the right coach I think they could become a real power one day.

bags'o'cash
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

bags'o'cash
Also known as bag-men :mrgreen: