UCONN exit from the AAC to cost them $17 million

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
GreenLantern
Riptide

Methinks Lurker is enjoying an imagined scenario where our former, intrepid president is leading his alma mater (UConn) down the same primrose path that Mr. Cowen navigated while at Tulane. Can't you hear him addressing the UConn board and saying:
You don't need AAC football...UConn could be a splendid boutique football program....wins and losses don't matter...trust me, for without my untiring efforts, the doors to Tulane would have closed long ago...you have to look past that ugly bit about dishonoring Sophie Newcomb's memory, scrubbing one-third of the Tulane doctoral programs and half of their athletic programs...

lurker123
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:Methinks Lurker is enjoying an imagined scenario where our former, intrepid president is leading his alma mater (UConn) down the same primrose path that Mr. Cowen navigated while at Tulane. Can't you hear him addressing the UConn board and saying:
You don't need AAC football...UConn could be a splendid boutique football program....wins and losses don't matter...trust me, for without my untiring efforts, the doors to Tulane would have closed long ago...you have to look past that ugly bit about dishonoring Sophie Newcomb's memory, scrubbing one-third of the Tulane doctoral programs and half of their athletic programs...
DCT, Green Lantern got it. Just having some fun this morning. Meanwhile another reminder from the local paper that in Div 1, football is king.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 006b9.html
ajcalhoun
Swell

lurker123 wrote: Meanwhile another reminder from the local paper that in Div 1, football is king.

tps linked this article yesterday but it's buried down in the "Those Other La. Schools" forum. The gist of it, for those that don't click the link, is that LSU football grossed $85 million for a profit of $55 million. That is insane. I don't know how we can compete with that.

Off topic; I miss a lot of stuff by not scrolling all the way down the first page. I liked it better when new posts were always moved to the top of the front page no matter the forum. I believe we changed it when 755 bitched about USL posts getting put up there but that doesn't happen often enough to bother me. The old way was better IMO.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
lurker123 wrote: Meanwhile another reminder from the local paper that in Div 1, football is king.

tps linked this article yesterday but it's buried down in the "Those Other La. Schools" forum. The gist of it, for those that don't click the link, is that LSU football grossed $85 million for a profit of $55 million. That is insane. I don't know how we can compete with that.

Off topic; I miss a lot of stuff by not scrolling all the way down the first page. I liked it better when new posts were always moved to the top of the front page no matter the forum. I believe we changed it when 755 bitched about USL posts getting put up there but that doesn't happen often enough to bother me. The old way was better IMO.
Good point maybe Steve could try again. I almost posted it in Der Rat so it would pop up.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Good point maybe Steve could try again. I almost posted it in Der Rat so it would pop up.
Hey AJ, I was hardly the only one complaining about ULALA trolls trolling the top board day after day. :wave: Or instead, we could give the AAC and LSU their own sections because the AAC is our conference and let's admit it, we care about what is going on with LSU and couldn't care less about the UNO, Loyola, ULALA, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, and Xaviers of the world. Or instead, take your suggestion and go back to the old way and perhaps tomorrow have ULALA trolls at the top of our board "celebrating" the death of a campus cat? :shakingno:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:

Just to be clear while football did amass that profit the athletic dept. had an overall profit of $12 million for that year. They had to pay for their many non revenue sports.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Just to be clear while football did amass that profit the athletic dept. had an overall profit of $12 million for that year. They had to pay for their many non revenue sports.
The article does not make it clear whether TV revenue, bowl revenue, NCAA credits and tier III rights were included. I venture to guess it was not. Also, they totally cook teh books. They value the scholarship, room/board at par when in reality it doesn't cost the university anywhere near that much.

It's also total bull$hit that the football players are helping to contribute $50mmin profits but people fight over paying them. Just as coaches and boosters are flying on private jets.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

To be fair, any form of athletic department profit is impressive given how few athletic departments have revenue left over after all of their expenses.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I didn't say it wasn't impressive. I simply wanted everyone to know what the overall profit was.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Bad for the AAC in general but really bad for Temple.
RobertM320
Green Wave

So who could we possibly invite to fill that slot? I know in the past they talked about UMass. I'd prefer Southern Miss to UMass, personally. Not for any specific benefit. I also thought there was talk of Wichita State bringing back football at some point.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

The UConn move would be helpful to WBB in the sense that teams would actually have a chance to win a conf title and the affiliated NCAA tournament bid.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 am I'd prefer Southern Miss to UMass,
It's a shame because they've always been a natural rival for us but poor Southern Miss just doesn't have the demographics to go anywhere.
God Bless Everyone!
waveprof
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 am So who could we possibly invite to fill that slot?
According to news reports, the primary options would be (if we could get them) Army (football only) or BYU. BYU likely doesn't want to give up their TV contract and Army wasn't interested in a conference in 2013 (although they are more competitive now and have a new pro-football superintendent).

If both turn us down (as expected) the conference may go with 11 football members. OR it might consider:

Boise State, Colorado State, North Texas, Western Kentucky, UMass, UTSA, or Southern Miss. One Cincinnati beat reporter mentioned Toledo, but that seems to be an outlier.
WavyHoops
High Tide

VCU would be great for hoops and Richmond is a good market.
Twave
Ripple

USM to the AAC won’t happen. They are looking to add big media markets. UMASS, Georgia State and Air Force are at the top of the list. Rumor during the beginning of BBall season was that Air Force and Colo State may be a packaged deal. You get to expand West while crippling the MWC. The conference office has always wanted to expand into a third time zone for TV package purposes.
waveprof
Ripple

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:55 am VCU would be great for hoops and Richmond is a good market.
Twave wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:55 am They are looking to add big media markets. UMASS, Georgia State and Air Force are at the top of the list. Rumor during the beginning of BBall season was that Air Force and Colo State may be a packaged deal. You get to expand West while crippling the MWC. The conference office has always wanted to expand into a third time zone for TV package purposes.
Yes, if I were betting I'd bet big that they'll look west. That's been the direction of the AAC for a couple of years in Aresco's mind. Could it have been what finally pushed Uconn out? Could it be that it was reactive because he knew this was coming (the UConn to BE rumors have been serious for a couple of years)? Either way, the league offices are moving to Dallas in a year, and it is clear that we have courted BYU, Colorado State, San Diego State, and Boise at different points (not to mention our add of Wichita State). The only eastward courting we have ever done is Umass, and all rumors have suggested our interest in them has waned considerably in recent years. It's also been clear on multiple occasions that Aresco would like to take out the MWC leaving the AAC without competition for the idea of P6.

Look West. That's where the momentum has been, That's where I think the addition will be.

Which, btw, would push Tulane or Memphis into the Eastern division.
waveprof
Ripple

Also, fwiw, everyone is acting like Uconn's anger over the recent tv deal is what finally pushed them out. But with the whispers so prominent for so long, I think it is more likely the other way around. Aresco wasn't concerned with UConn's interests in the tv deal because he knew they were leaving soon anyway (just a question of when)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

waveprof wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:13 am Also, fwiw, everyone is acting like Uconn's anger over the recent tv deal is what finally pushed them out. But with the whispers so prominent for so long, I think it is more likely the other way around. Aresco wasn't concerned with UConn's interests in the tv deal because he knew they were leaving soon anyway (just a question of when)
willl the Catholic schools be granting them "special dispensation" ?...UConnn can be angered all they want over teh TV contract...but by going to the big East, they get a big decrease ino Football money, and the baseball program will get little to no exposure...sounds like a knee jerk reaction, with little importance to the total revenue generated....The AAC is a very good overall athletic conference...I am trying to see the upside that UConn has a vision for, either than Basketball, the Bif East brings the Least to the table
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

On Wednesday, I was on the 247 Sports football recruiting site and noticed that UConn was not listed in the AAC grouping. I figured but was just a mistake, but obviously not. I wonder if they have already stopped football recruiting.
waveprof
Ripple

Worth noting at least one other BE school is not catholic. The media calling them catholic schools is a misnomer (though most are catholic), They are all private (until UConn)
waveprof
Ripple

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:20 am On Wednesday, I was on the 247 Sports football recruiting site and noticed that UConn was not listed in the AAC grouping. I figured but was just a mistake, but obviously not. I wonder if they have already stopped football recruiting.
They have not stopped football recruiting. In fact the school is adamant they will still play football. They supposedly want to stay AAC but know it won't happen, have interest in MAC or CUSA (neither is that likely), and if not will either go Independent or FCS (the school is saying FCS isn't on the table, but they have to say that until it's all decided. Only Cowen would openly talk about considering dropping divisions unless it was certain.....)
waveprof
Ripple

golfnut---only like 12 schools care about baseball. Meanwhile UConn doesn't care much about football (other than trying to prop it up in case they need it to get into a P5). This move is being made because their attendance at men's and women's basketball is lagging as is the product on the field. Rightly or wrongly, their fan base attributes both to playing "easy" competition. This move is being made to assuage those programs because those are the two programs that move the needle at UConn. Yes Uconn baseball is good, but you need only look at their playing field and infrastructure to see how little they care about baseball., And football is just an extra sparkle to have what they "need" to try to get in the B10 or ACC (which isn';t going to happen btw)
RobertM320
Green Wave

waveprof wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:59 am
Yes, if I were betting I'd bet big that they'll look west. That's been the direction of the AAC for a couple of years in Aresco's mind. Could it have been what finally pushed Uconn out? Could it be that it was reactive because he knew this was coming (the UConn to BE rumors have been serious for a couple of years)? Either way, the league offices are moving to Dallas in a year, and it is clear that we have courted BYU, Colorado State, San Diego State, and Boise at different points (not to mention our add of Wichita State). The only eastward courting we have ever done is Umass, and all rumors have suggested our interest in them has waned considerably in recent years. It's also been clear on multiple occasions that Aresco would like to take out the MWC leaving the AAC without competition for the idea of P6.

Look West. That's where the momentum has been, That's where I think the addition will be.

Which, btw, would push Tulane or Memphis into the Eastern division.
100% agree with this. If we can hurt the MWC, it gives us a clear position as being much closer to P5 than to G4. And ultimately, you can have a P5, the AAC and G4. The media will have to make a decision on AAC one way or the other, so adding a CSU, SDSU, AF, BYU or Boise all make sense due to markets.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

waveprof wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:26 am golfnut---only like 12 schools care about baseball. Meanwhile UConn doesn't care much about football (other than trying to prop it up in case they need it to get into a P5). This move is being made because their attendance at men's and women's basketball is lagging as is the product on the field. Rightly or wrongly, their fan base attributes both to playing "easy" competition. This move is being made to assuage those programs because those are the two programs that move the needle at UConn. Yes Uconn baseball is good, but you need only look at their playing field and infrastructure to see how little they care about baseball., And football is just an extra sparkle to have what they "need" to try to get in the B10 or ACC (which isn';t going to happen btw)
Prof...U may be correct, but I think there are a few more schools than 12 that care about baseball.....Personally, I do not care if they go to the Big East, oh and here is their sterling men's record in Basketball while playing in that easy AAC conference....looks like a bunch of 'L's" to me, if anything UConn brought the AAC power rating down
https://uconnhuskies.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=686
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !