UCONN exit from the AAC to cost them $17 million

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:16 pm UConn really thinks mighty of themselves. Losing value by association?

On October 12th UCONN will get a "reality check" at Yulman. :D

Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:28 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm Tulane has certain value beyond its on the field performance - Louisiana recruiting, New Orleans media market access [not control], academic relevance, etc. - but, in regard to on the field performance, the football programs appears to be stabilizing. Those beyond the field value should be really what drives membership into the conference in the first place, and it does to an extent since many of the other members of the conference have some similar value (major tv markets, major recruiting markets, relevance in state relative to other FBS programs, etc.). However, in contrast to those programs, ECU, Tulsa, and Navy were added primarily due to their on the field performance (hence ECU's original football only invitation, Navy's football only invitation, and Tulsa's invitation that was extended after preferable programs backed out), and that is not how a conference should expand since winning can easily change, and, if the program does not provide much value beyond that winning, then there is no real value there.

Tulane would probably be next on the kickout list after Tulsa, ECU and Navy, but Tulane with a decent football team is a worthy member of the AAC.

On a side note, yes, the TV contract hurt UConn. The contract was s***.
I don't disagree with you on what we have to offer. But if we were such a hot commodity, we would be where we want to be. Not on the outside looking in.

We Tulane fans put this highest price on our product and what we have to offer. But we're only worth what someone is willing to pay... and none of the big players want us.
Well, yeah, the AAC is full of programs that that want P5 invites. The issue is one could imagine a plausible scenario where any randomly selected team in the AAC - other than Tulsa, ECU and Navy - could fit into a P5, and that's part of the issue with those programs. No P5 is adding a university with a 4k enrollment (Navy and Tulsa) and no P5 is adding the #5 program in North Carolina. A scheduling alliance with Navy? Sure. Adding Navy as a full or football-only member? No.

As for Tulane, it's probably will never be in a power conference moving forward and everyone knows that. However, that doesn't mean that the AAC has to be crap because its leadership is afraid of kicking out programs that don't bring value beyond their ability to win games. The AAC could still be much better than it is, and I would personally advocate for the composition that I listed above since that would solidify the AAC as the only conference outside of the P5 that matters. Looking around the G5 outside of those programs, there is no way that a competitive conference could be built from the remaining G5 (which is part of the point).
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:16 pm UConn really thinks mighty of themselves. Losing value by association?

honestly everything i've seen it sounds like they were. The new tv contract took basketball dollars from them and were distributed to everyone else in conference. So then UCONN just said,, fine then i'll take all of it off the table and go somewhere else and you won't have any of it. Sounds like kind of what Troy did with the longest baseball rivalry in college history......LSU baseball game., he cut our nose off to spite the face, just to make 5 more grand a year but ended up costing us hundreds of thousands/yr for perpetuity. LSU had all the leverage, we needed that game more than LSU did.
greenie78
Riptide

I think Buffalo would be the best bet right now and they would leave the MAC for the AAC.
wave97
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:59 am Oh. And as much as we want to be a P6. We won't. The AAC won't. It's not going to happen. You want to be included with the best? Then you beat the best and become one of them. I honestly really wish all this P6 crap would stop too. We are NOT a power conference. Never was, never will be.
But Vandy, Rutgers, Illinois, North Carolina, Louisville, Nebraska, Kansas deserve to receive P5 money. Things change. Relegation in the p5.
DrBox
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:21 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:59 am Oh. And as much as we want to be a P6. We won't. The AAC won't. It's not going to happen. You want to be included with the best? Then you beat the best and become one of them. I honestly really wish all this P6 crap would stop too. We are NOT a power conference. Never was, never will be.
But Vandy, Rutgers, Illinois, North Carolina, Louisville, Nebraska, Kansas deserve to receive P5 money. Things change. Relegation in the p5.
Exactly - 2/3 of the P5 teams haven't beaten squat.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Um you realize this is just two idiots with an internet connection?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
waveprof
Ripple

The P6 argument isn't really about convincing anybody we are equal to all in the P5. Heck, the P5 aren't equal to the rest of the P5. Does anyone treat the ACC or Pac 12 as equal to the SEC?!? The P6 argument is about making us stand out head and shoulders above the rest of the G5, and closer to the other P5 than the G5. That is achievable, though not easy. Aresco is fighting the good fight.
Jaxwave
Swell

“So financially, BYU would do better to remain independent.”
That’s all they needed to say.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:39 am “So financially, BYU would do better to remain independent.”
That’s all they needed to say.
Yep. But I didn’t think about trying to go bowling as an Indy though. With all the conference bowl tie-ins there’s not many left for an independent even with a good record.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

The rumblings are that the AAC will stay at 11 since it probably won't be able to get a program like Boise State.

As for BYU, it seems to generally set its bowl tie in at the beginning of the season. It agrees that if it wins at least 6 games, it will go to that bowl, however, if BYU gets a CFP invite (the literal playoffs or a selection game), it can get out of its contract with the bowl.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:18 am The rumblings are that the AAC will stay at 11 since it probably won't be able to get a program like Boise State.

As for BYU, it seems to generally set its bowl tie in at the beginning of the season. It agrees that if it wins at least 6 games, it will go to that bowl, however, if BYU gets a CFP invite (the literal playoffs or a selection game), it can get out of its contract with the bowl.
Boise would have to be a football member only...the rest of their programs are not worth the travel expense.....The city is nice, but traveling there, is a pain that not even Preperation H can solve.....the simple solution is for Whchy State to reinstate football...and hope like hell this does not happen
https://tulanegreenwave.com/opponent-hi ... sity/2/295
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

But there is a program (with a coaching staff turnover in 2020) that will be the next Boise State if admitted to the AAC ODU will be a perennial threat to both in-state p5 rivals. They are also a natural tie-in to the AAC East. It's the elephant in the room flipping, wake up. Coaches will be lining up to join the staff at ODU.
Last edited by wave97 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

wave97 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:17 am But there is a program (with a coaching staff turnover in 2020) that will be the next Boise State and if admitted to the AAC, a perennial threat to both in-state p5 rivals. They are also a natural tie-in to the AAC East. It's the elephant in the room flipping, wake up.
Who?
wave97
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:20 am
wave97 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:17 am But there is a program (with a coaching staff turnover in 2020) that will be the next Boise State and if admitted to the AAC, a perennial threat to both in-state p5 rivals. They are also a natural tie-in to the AAC East. It's the elephant in the room flipping, wake up.
Who?
ODU
Larger media market than NOLA. The only sports entertainment competition is the Norfolk Admirals ( ECHL minor league hockey). Absolutely thick in football & basketball talent. Alen Iverson, Bruce Smith, Mike Vick just look at the roster of Virginia Tech & UVA, Penn State, Maryland, North Carolina. $70 million stadium expansion. Seats are already sold out (after a bad season).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 am
Who?
ODU
Larger media market than NOLA. The only sports entertainment competition is the Norfolk Admirals ( ECHL minor league hockey). Absolutely thick in football & basketball talent. Alen Iverson, Bruce Smith, Mike Vick just look at the roster of Virginia Tech & UVA, Penn State, Maryland, North Carolina. $70 million stadium expansion. Seats are already sold out (after a bad season).
http://www.odusports.com/

http://www.odusports.com/SportSelect.db ... SID=750425

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Domin ... y_Monarchs
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Um you realize this is just two idiots with an internet connection?
🤔Yes, I realize that. And, as more proof of the same, at the end of last season, by Sagarin's rankings system, playing at Yulman the Wave would have been a 24.5 pt favorite over UCONN.. 8-)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

UConn...is lookiing for any excuse to put the SC method of football eradication into action...a move to the big least wil spell the end of football, as we now know it, at UConn....the gawds may smile down, and it may drop to FCS status, but I think it will be droppped entirely
Aberzombie1892
Swell

wave97 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 am
Who?
ODU
That's a tough one. It would make sense as an ECU replacement, but that boat may have sailed.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ECU will be competitive by the 2020 season. They hired a GREAT coach. Yes, I'm putting it in writing so you can make fun of me if it doesn't pan out. I'm that confident in Mike Huston.

We should never talk about running programs out of the AAC due to poor results. I know there were some posting on this forum last year that we might be targets to get a proverbial pink slip from the AAC.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:30 am UConn...is lookiing for any excuse to put the SC method of football eradication into action...a move to the big least wil spell the end of football, as we now know it, at UConn....the gawds may smile down, and it may drop to FCS status, but I think it will be droppped entirely
This was driven by the fans. Less than 1% of whom know who Scott Cowen is. Those old enough to remember him playing for UConn are mostly dead. There's little talk of getting rid of football, and little excitement to drop down to FCS status. They will probably be an independent for a number of years while trying to get into the MAC or some other conference as a football only member.
WavyHoops
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:30 am UConn...is lookiing for any excuse to put the SC method of football eradication into action...a move to the big least wil spell the end of football, as we now know it, at UConn....the gawds may smile down, and it may drop to FCS status, but I think it will be droppped entirely
This was driven by the fans. Less than 1% of whom know who Scott Cowen is. Those old enough to remember him playing for UConn are mostly dead. There's little talk of getting rid of football, and little excitement to drop down to FCS status. They will probably be an independent for a number of years while trying to get into the MAC or some other conference as a football only member.
EVERY UConn fan I know supports the move back to the Big East and most could care less about the future of football, one way or the other. If the economics are a probem for the school. I'm not sure they care. As I noted above, they really do see Villanova, St. Johns, Georgetown, et al as their true rivals and football has nothing to do with it. Yes, the loss of BC and Syracuse has made the Big East less than it once was, but that doesn't mean it's not more than the AAC in the eyes of UConn loyalists. Also, don't understimate the draw of the Big East tournament at Madison Square Garden. It's a very big deal for basketball fans in the NYC area and up and down the Northeast corridor.

More interesting question for me at this point is what happens with Temple. This really leaves them on an island by themselves.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm
EVERY UConn fan I know supports the move back to the Big East and most could care less about the future of football, one way or the other. If the economics are a probem for the school. I'm not sure they care. As I noted above, they really do see Villanova, St. Johns, Georgetown, et al as their true rivals and football has nothing to do with it. Yes, the loss of BC and Syracuse has made the Big East less than it once was, but that doesn't mean it's not more than the AAC in the eyes of UConn loyalists. Also, don't understimate the draw of the Big East tournament at Madison Square Garden. It's a very big deal for basketball fans in the NYC area and up and down the Northeast corridor.

More interesting question for me at this point is what happens with Temple. This really leaves them on an island by themselves.
I don't know that your post refutes anything I say or vice versa.

Temple is not too far from Navy. A heck of a lot closer than BYU or Boise State is from any AAC institution.

Have you lived in the Northeast since UConn moved up to FBS football? They got pretty damned competitive under Edsall his first time around, then had a couple of horrible coaching hires and are hoping Edsall can re-create his magic. He may not be the answer, time will tell. But it's the $41 million the Athletics Department is losing that's gotten the new UConn President to address the situation. The fans DO love the regional rivalries and wax poetically about some of the best basketball post-season games in history at MSG. Yes, basketball plays a bigger role at UConn than most schools but their admittedly decimated football fan base still gives a damn.
WavyHoops
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:31 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm

I don't know that your post refutes anything I say or vice versa.

Temple is not too far from Navy. A heck of a lot closer than BYU or Boise State is from any AAC institution.

Have you lived in the Northeast since UConn moved up to FBS football? They got pretty damned competitive under Edsall his first time around, then had a couple of horrible coaching hires and are hoping Edsall can re-create his magic. He may not be the answer, time will tell. But it's the $41 million the Athletics Department is losing that's gotten the new UConn President to address the situation. The fans DO love the regional rivalries and wax poetically about some of the best basketball post-season games in history at MSG. Yes, basketball plays a bigger role at UConn than most schools but their admittedly decimated football fan base still gives a damn.
Was basically agreeing - not disputing.

Navy may be physically closer to Temple but it does not resemble a rival. Lucky for them they have the Big Five to keep the traditional baskeball fires burning, but nothing but the occasional Penn State, Pitt or Notre Dame game moves the needle for football fans in Philly.