Kansas coach Tony Hull - former NOLA Coach

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
McWave
High Tide

Interesting New Orleans area coach which was recently hired by Kansas. It believe we were interested in Tyriek Starks a Wareen Easton QB with three stars (for what that's worth). Seems like he would have been a god fit for TU. NASA engineer post cost engineering degree from ULL. Below is Bio from Kansas site:

Kansas football head coach David Beaty rounded out his coaching staff by announcing the hiring of Tony Hull as running backs coach Wednesday afternoon.

"We are fired up to add Tony Hull to our staff," said Beaty. "Not only is Tony well-respected as a coach throughout the state of Louisiana, but collegiate coaches around the nation also have a huge amount of appreciation for the work he has done. The production of his teams and players speaks for itself and we are looking forward to him bringing that same work ethic to our staff and players."

Hull joins the Jayhawk staff from the Louisiana high school ranks, where he most recently served as the head coach and offensive coordinator of Warren Easton High School in New Orleans. During his nine seasons as the head coach of the Eagles, Hull helped lead a stagnant program into a contender.

A New Orleans native, Hull arrived at Warren Easton in 2007, the school's first season playing football following Hurricane Katrina. He guided the Eagles to the playoffs in seven of his nine seasons at the helm of the program, including a state championship game appearance in 2014 and a state semifinals showing in 2015.

Hull developed the Eagles players on the field as he mentored 45 players who went on to earn Division I football scholarships, including 2016 Kansas signee Tyriek Starks. Six of those players earned a nod in ESPN's top 300 list, while one of his athletes was named the 2014 Gatorade Player of the Year and Mr. Louisiana football.

Hull, who taught math and physical education, was an important member of the Eagles faculty as he saw his WEHS football players enjoy a 100 percent graduation rate. Additionally, he implemented a character development sector that saw his players assisting inner city youth with off-the-field development.

Prior to his time at Warren Easton, Hull spent the 2005 season as the offensive line coach and run game coordinator at his alma mater, Sarah T. Reed High School in New Orleans. He served in the same capacity at Mandeville High School in Mandeville, Louisiana in 2006.

Hull was a two-year starter on the offensive line at Louisiana Lafayette, where he earned a bachelor's degree in industrial technology in 2004. Following graduation, Hull spent four years working in the engineering field, including three years at NASA.

"Tony is a great coach and mentor," said Beaty. "His love for kids is evident in the decision he made to leave the engineering field and NASA for the inner-city public education system in Louisiana to help the youth of New Orleans."

Hull, Beaty and the Jayhawks will open up spring practice on Sunday, March 6 and the 15-practice schedule includes the 1 p.m., spring game on Saturday, April 9, in Memorial Stadium. In addition, to the spring game, the fourth-annual Train Like a Jayhawk Kid's Clinic is also scheduled for April 9. More information on the Train Like a Jayhawk Kid's Clinic and all of the events surrounding the annual spring game, including times, locations and parking information, will be provided at a later date.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

I look at this and it makes me sad.

Kansas has three 4* and two 3* New Orleans metroplex commits for 2018. It looks like the Tony Hull hire is having an impact.

http://kansas.247sports.com/Season/2018 ... ll/Commits
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... ana_c.html
http://kuathletics.com/news/2016/3/2/fo ... ata=398213
ajcalhoun
Swell

The chain-reaction of commitments shocked the recruiting world. But as an onlooker that was able to monitor the developments from the inside out, it did not catch me off guard. Each of these prospects displays an underdog mentality, which former Warren Easton head coach and current running backs coach Tony Hull was able to tap into. Hull and his staff did not shy away from Kansas' recent struggles, with only two wins in the last two seasons, instead, they embraced it.

The message was simple--become the faces that turn this program into a winner, and many of the recruits received that message openly, and felt compelled to commit before leaving Lawrence, Kansas. When speaking to some of the parents on hand, they seemed moved by the message as well. Devonta Jason's father was supportive of his son's decision, and sounded comfortable with the marriage.
Holy moly! What's wrong with the huge underdog in their own backyard?
God Bless Everyone!
dpm wave
Swell

#6 on the TOP 49 things to do in Lawrence, KS?

--public library

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions ... RT_WRAPPER

'nuff said
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:#6 on the TOP 49 things to do in Lawrence, KS?

--public library

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions ... RT_WRAPPER

'nuff said
I am told it is a garden spot...a garden of what, I am not sure...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

If this is a sign of things to come, maybe the Big 12 doesn't need Tulane to recruit Louisiana.
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
The chain-reaction of commitments shocked the recruiting world. But as an onlooker that was able to monitor the developments from the inside out, it did not catch me off guard. Each of these prospects displays an underdog mentality, which former Warren Easton head coach and current running backs coach Tony Hull was able to tap into. Hull and his staff did not shy away from Kansas' recent struggles, with only two wins in the last two seasons, instead, they embraced it.

The message was simple--become the faces that turn this program into a winner, and many of the recruits received that message openly, and felt compelled to commit before leaving Lawrence, Kansas. When speaking to some of the parents on hand, they seemed moved by the message as well. Devonta Jason's father was supportive of his son's decision, and sounded comfortable with the marriage.
P5 money/facilities vs G5 money/facilities. There's your reason. Which is a perfect example of why facilities matter when it comes to recruiting. Notice, I didn't say winning, I said recruiting.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:

1. Not hiring local coaches directly into the current coaching staff.
2. Playing a G5 schedule.
3. Not having landed close to a top 25 ranking since 1998.
4. Not having an elite basketball program.
5. Not hiring Doug Meachum from TCU.
6. Not beating Texas last year.
7. Facilities.
8. Attendance to games.
Ruski
Swell

Hull and Kansas beat out Nebraska and the University of Texas San Antonio, under former LSU recruiting coordinator Frank Wilson, for Jordan's services. Hull came out on the winning side of another New Orleans-area recruiting battle just a couple of weeks later, when St. Augustine wide receiver Takulve Williams declared for the Jayhawks over Wilson and his UTSA program, and Ball State, who had former John Curtis defensive coordinator Johnny Curtis recruiting him, who serves as the linebackers coach for the Cardinals.

Hull has a rare understanding of how to navigate the academic system in Louisiana that would give struggling student-athletes the best chance to qualify, which he is using to his advantage. Couple that with his strong relationships in the area and his gift of gab and you have a successful recruiter. A coach who is going to be a thorn in the side of so many area recruiters who make a living in these talent-rich parts.

There is still a long time before the 2017 class comes to an end, but Hull is making his presence felt on the recruiting trail in the Greater New Orleans area. It should not be a shocker, as the rookie collegiate coach raided the New Orleans playgrounds for more than his fair share of talent during his tenure at Warren Easton.
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... h_ton.html
Ruski
Swell

KU is paying him $150k. Give him 200k and give him "director of LA recruiting" title.
Show Me
Tsunami

I'd bet most of the players he's getting is because Kansas is a P5 school. Tulane can't offer that.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Someone has to explain to me why Fritz does not have a local guy on the staff? If you are in a recruiting hotbed and new to the area, you always have a local on staff.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:Someone has to explain to me why Fritz does not have a local guy on the staff? If you are in a recruiting hotbed and new to the area, you always have a local on staff.
He's got one. Former St Aug coach Jamaal Fobbs
http://tulanegreenwave.com/coaches.aspx?rc=26
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Someone has to explain to me why Fritz does not have a local guy on the staff? If you are in a recruiting hotbed and new to the area, you always have a local on staff.
My bad. Though 2016 was his first year and he has never actually coached in LA tmk. The fact remains, we need to recruit LA better.
dpm wave
Swell

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/new-orle ... oycott-lsu

Apparently, NOLA area coaches didn't like the way Juluke was demoted.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
My bad. Though 2016 was his first year and he has never actually coached in LA tmk. The fact remains, we need to recruit LA better.
There is a difference between hiring someone directly from high school into your staff (i.e. Baylor and Kansas) versus hiring someone that has been out of the Louisiana high school system for 4+ years (Fobbs).

Baylor hired a handful of high profile guys in the Texas HS system and went from 1 commit to 27 commits (all consensus 3*s) in a little over a month, while Kansas hired a Louisiana HS coach last year and hired Tony Hull this year and its class is currently #9 in the country for 2018.

Will Kansas fall in the rankings? Certainly, but there is certainly an impact here.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:I'd bet most of the players he's getting is because Kansas is a P5 school. Tulane can't offer that.
This was my thought as well. P5 money means you can buy P5 facilities. Not sure if the kids ever think far enough to realize that they'll be living in the middle of nowhere for months, and dealing with tornado alley. That should be fun.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Maybe we should remind them Mardi Gras is not a holiday in Kansas.
Ruski
Swell

dpm wave wrote:https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/new-orle ... oycott-lsu

WF or someone representing Tulane absolutely needs to be at that meeting. Juluke has already been picked up by Texas Tech. This could be a huge opportunity for Tulane to win back valuable recruiting territory and needs to be playing every card it has. Screw Orgeron!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:

WF or someone representing Tulane absolutely needs to be at that meeting. Juluke has already been picked up by Texas Tech. This could be a huge opportunity for Tulane to win back valuable recruiting territory and needs to be playing every card it has. Screw Orgeron!
Wasn't Juluke originally at TT at one point?
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:

Wasn't Juluke originally at TT at one point?
For one month haha
Ruski
Swell

Looks like O has found his replacements:
Multiple sources are reporting that LSU has hired Southern Cal running backs coach Tommie Robinson and Louisiana Tech running backs coach Mickey Joseph to replace Dameyune Craig and Jabbar Juluke.

Robinson will serve as LSU’s running backs coach as well as holding the title of assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator.

Joseph will serve as LSU’s wide receivers coach.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU Claiming they just hired the #2 ranked recruiter in the nation.
http://lsu.247sports.com/Article/LSU-is ... C-51164252
Robinson, who turns 54 this year, finished as the nation’s No. 2 recruiter on the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings for the 2017 cycle, helping the Trojans reel in six commitments to their Top 10 class. Robinson was the primary recruiter for some of USC’s highest-ranked signees, including five-star running back Stephen Carr and four-star offensive tackle Austin Jackson, four-star safety Bubba Bolden, four-star linebacker Levi Jones and four-star safety Isaiah Pola-Mao.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Show Me wrote:I'd bet most of the players he's getting is because Kansas is a P5 school. Tulane can't offer that.
This was my thought as well. P5 money means you can buy P5 facilities. Not sure if the kids ever think far enough to realize that they'll be living in the middle of nowhere for months, and dealing with tornado alley. That should be fun.
Dodging tornadoes is one of the more exciting things to do in Kansas. What really wears you down in Kansas is the constant wind, and frequent ice storms. As far as being a P5, Kansas is the epitome of a P5 bottom feeder when it comes to football. I don't see many Kansas football players reaping the benefits of being P5--in fact it would probably be more accurate to say that Kansas football players are victims of P5 football. If any of these kids can get into Tulane, I hope WF keeps dogging them, because after Kansas takes its weekly shellacking next fall, some of this group's gallantry might fade, and some just might decide to stay closer to home to help rebuild a program.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Ruski
Swell

It's already starting. 4 star Jamarr Chase decommitted.

https://twitter.com/10jayy__/status/830942571941732352