G5 conferences now considering having its own playoff

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:Anybody who doesn't realize that P5 vs G5 is already split divisions is pretty naive. Look at the crowds at G5 games. With a few exceptions, the pubic has spoken that P5 is Division I and G5 is Division IAA.
Then look at the money and it looks like G5 is closer to Division III, when compared to P5. How the G5 schools allowed this to happen incrementally over time is almost criminal. And I haven't even touched on what a huge effect the P5 dollars has had on the academic side of all of these schools.
No, it's not closer to D III. It's ahead of FCS, a long way from D III, which doesn't grant athletic scholarships.

Proving damages at this time would be difficult. Creating a separate playoff would demonstrate that the NCAA basically allowed the P5 to dictate that a new division needs to be created. I think it would be much easier to prove damages at that time.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: I think it would be much easier to prove damages at that time.
LOL at the idea that such a lawsuit could be won. Just like you can't beat City Hall you aren't going to beat the Universities of Texas, Michigan, Florida, etc. The deck is stacked against the G5.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Unless they did a 4 team G5 playoff and winner gets in to the ESPN Invitational MNC Playoff, I have no interest.
Ruski
Swell

Stupid but fun article.
The Green Wave is Florida for all the same reasons Memphis is Auburn -- a good team overshadowed by the better squads in the conference -- just with a longer shot to get it done because Tulane isn't quite as good.

Tulane's actually the eighth-best team in the G5 -- thanks to a good defense and OK offense -- but it's tough sledding over there in the AAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 am
Stupid but fun article.
The Green Wave is Florida for all the same reasons Memphis is Auburn -- a good team overshadowed by the better squads in the conference -- just with a longer shot to get it done because Tulane isn't quite as good.

Tulane's actually the eighth-best team in the G5 -- thanks to a good defense and OK offense -- but it's tough sledding over there in the AAC.
I think we're somewhere in the top 6 of the AAC: Temple, SMU, UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis and Tulane. Where exactly we fall in that group remains to be seen. The last 2/3 of the season sure should be fun, though.

ROLL WAVE!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

This is not a story. There is nothing to see here. Not interested. The playoff will expand and we will get a seat at the table. Done. Move on. Don’t give this clicks or attention.