Tulane email snafu

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane mistakenly sends acceptance emails to 130 prospective students.
http://www.wwltv.com/mb/news/local/tula ... /371875134

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't agree at all with that position. Just accept those students. So it costs Tulane some money. But you can't put a dollars and cents value on goodwill. 130 students added to what they intended to accept isn't going to throw everything out of whack.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bigschtick
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I don't agree at all with that position. Just accept those students. So it costs Tulane some money. But you can't put a dollars and cents value on goodwill. 130 students added to what they intended to accept isn't going to throw everything out of whack.

Exactly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I don't agree at all with that position. Just accept those students. So it costs Tulane some money. But you can't put a dollars and cents value on goodwill. 130 students added to what they intended to accept isn't going to throw everything out of whack.
How exactly would it cost Tulane money? Did the letters say the students would have scholarships or something?
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:

Exactly!
And worse is the long lasting backlash at the schools of those 130 students if they're not accepted. Again, we have an opportunity to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot. What will we do?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

damn... I already had my TOPS portion spent !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wonder why they claim to be unable to admit them all?

Public relations disaster.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:Wonder why they claim to be unable to admit them all?

Public relations disaster.
It would have put them over capacity in the student section
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

I still don't see how cashing a 130 more checks is a problem.
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:I still don't see how cashing a 130 more checks is a problem.
The place it could cause an issue would be having enough faculty to teach the extra classes you'd need, or having the current faculty deal with more students and more grading, etc. Maybe some profs get paid by the number of sections they teach.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
The place it could cause an issue would be having enough faculty to teach the extra classes you'd need, or having the current faculty deal with more students and more grading, etc. Maybe some profs get paid by the number of sections they teach.
On top of what Robert is saying, the biggest problem though is not enough space in the dorms. There's a reason why Tulane is currently building a couple dorms as we speak.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
On top of what Robert is saying, the biggest problem though is not enough space in the dorms. There's a reason why Tulane is currently building a couple dorms as we speak.
Good point, GPS, since all freshmen have to live on campus.
lurker123
Swell

These were just acceptance letters. Not sure what the yield would be if Tulane "honored" the letters but definitely a few dozen students at minimum but not 130. Even if some of these would have been admitted anyway under normal procedures, it clearly was an embarrassing mistake by any measure.
Bigschtick
Riptide

It was just very much of what I have come to expect at Tulane. Incompetence from top to bottom.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
This was early acceptance. If we're taking 2000 into the class of 2021, we simply take 130 less from the "normal decision" pool. This is not the end of the admissions period, it's the very start. It is NOT something that we should explain away. The bad blood created is too harmful to the reputation of the University.

This is too big a screw up. Someone should lose their job(s). And the kids that were mistakenly emailed should be admitted ASAP. Otherwise we're once again shooting ourselves in the foot simply by screwing up something we have the possibility to fix EASILY.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I agree with you, D. They definitely could have fixed this easily by just taking those kids. No explanation needed. If Tulane feels its such a big deal, then discipline or fire the person responsible for the emails getting sent out. But no reason to even come out and state it was a mistake. Just accept those kids, fix the problem and move on without ever mentioning it in the first place would have been the proper thing to do.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
This was early acceptance. If we're taking 2000 into the class of 2021, we simply take 130 less from the "normal decision" pool. This is not the end of the admissions period, it's the very start. It is NOT something that we should explain away. The bad blood created is too harmful to the reputation of the University.

This is too big a screw up. Someone should lose their job(s). And the kids that were mistakenly emailed should be admitted ASAP. Otherwise we're once again shooting ourselves in the foot simply by screwing up something we have the possibility to fix EASILY.
All this really is about is just some hurt feelings. Yes it sucks for those kids that got their hopes up, but it really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It happened to me in 2003-2004 when I applied to Brown and got one of those error acceptance letters. The school's reputation may take a hit, but a small one. Like I said, it sucks this happened, but mistakes do occur, and it's not like we are in late February or late April when deposits need to be sent in. These kids got plenty of time to rebound and if they put all their eggs in one basket this early, that's on them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: All this really is about is just some hurt feelings. Yes it sucks for those kids that got their hopes up, but it really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It happened to me in 2003-2004 when I applied to Brown and got one of those error acceptance letters. The school's reputation may take a hit, but a small one. Like I said, it sucks this happened, but mistakes do occur, and it's not like we are in late February or late April when deposits need to be sent in. These kids got plenty of time to rebound and if they put all their eggs in one basket this early, that's on them.
We will agree to disagree.

Early decision and Early Action these days is a commitment to the University. If you get accepted ED or EA, it's expected you will enroll. This is a two way street. 130 out of a class of 2000 is not a big number. Step up. Honor your word. Yes, it's a mistake, but the bad PR as fallout from the mistake can be avoided by honoring the email commitment.

And yes, HEADS SHOULD ROLL for this screw up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I agree with you, D. They definitely could have fixed this easily by just taking those kids. No explanation needed. If Tulane feels its such a big deal, then discipline or fire the person responsible for the emails getting sent out. But no reason to even come out and state it was a mistake. Just accept those kids, fix the problem and move on without ever mentioning it in the first place would have been the proper thing to do.
Amen. It's 130 kids at the very beginning of the admissions process. The University has already given itself a black eye. Now it's time to make things right by these kids.
GreenLantern
Riptide

The New York Times has picked up the admissions story and paints Tulane as calloused, bumbling rubes. Deservedly so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/tu ... -well&_r=0
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Early decision and Early Action these days is a commitment to the University. If you get accepted ED or EA, it's expected you will enroll. This is a two way street. 130 out of a class of 2000 is not a big number. Step up. Honor your word.
And your thoughts on pulling a scholarship offer to a quarterback that was an early commit?

You don't actually have to answer this. I'm just feeling snide this holiday.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:The New York Times has picked up the admissions story and paints Tulane as calloused, bumbling rubes. Deservedly so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/tu ... -well&_r=0
I am gald it was just the NY Times, I was concerned it was the Washington Post and "deep throat" was once again on the loose. I wonder how they painted home state Syracuse, who faced the same issue 3 years ago....
Aberzombie1892
Swell

msdos wrote:
DfromCT wrote: Early decision and Early Action these days is a commitment to the University. If you get accepted ED or EA, it's expected you will enroll. This is a two way street. 130 out of a class of 2000 is not a big number. Step up. Honor your word.
And your thoughts on pulling a scholarship offer to a quarterback that was an early commit?

You don't actually have to answer this. I'm just feeling snide this holiday.
A lot of this.

Also:
1. Unfortunate events like this happen every cycle to at least one university and it's extremely rare for a university honor them.
2. We don't know the quality of the pool of the 130 admits, and, as far as we know, they all could have been slated for rejection.
3. Universities use complex formulas to try to project which admits will accept an offer while being mindful of geographic, gender, economic, legacy, sex, religious, quantitative, projected yield, and, to a lesser extent, racial diversity.
4. Tulane's classes are around 1700 strong, and the possibility of up to 130 of those slots being taken without taking into account the factors in 3 above would heavily impact the class.
5. Hypothetically, if someone said the admission of those 130 students would cause Tulane's US News rank to drop by at least one spot and at most 8 spots (yield, quantitative, etc.), would you all still want to Tulane to admit them?
lurker123
Swell

Again folks, these were "acceptance" letters. No college not even Harvard or Stanford much less Tulane gets 100% yield even on early admit offers which both parties ("morally?") commit to be binding. So we should be cautious in throwing 130 around as the determinative number of new students.

The sports analogy would be football recruits jilting us after receiving last minute P5 offers. Or perhaps WF's recruiting last year when he had more than a few recruits accept his offer and jilt other schools. It's Darwinian whether right or not.

So perhaps we're speaking about 40 to 75 "extra" students here (at max but just my SWAG.)

Lots of students in these cases walk away as late as the last second including foregoing non-refundable deposits.

Tulane is more sensitive because its freshman yield last year was unexpectedly high and it did not have enough dorm rooms on campus so more than a few frosh students were tripling up. It does not want a repeat of that.

Obviously there is no easy way to clean this mistake up and we are understandably concerned about university's brand and reputation. I don't have a preference on how to fix it; just want a little more precision and context around its parameters.
Last edited by lurker123 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:Again folks, these were "acceptance" letters. No college not even Harvard or Stanford much less Tulane gets 100% yield even on early admit offers which both parties ("morally?") commit to be binding.

Lots of students in these cases walk away as late as the last second including foregoing non-refundable deposits.

Tulane is more sensitive because its freshman yield last year was unexpectedly high and it did not have enough dorm rooms on campus so more than a few frosh students were tripling up. It does not want a repeat of that.

Obviously there is no easy way to clean this up mistake and we are understandably are concerned about university's brand and reputation.
I understand preoccupied FEMA trailers can be purchased at a discounted price, they could be parked on the Jeff Hwy land and shuttles run to and from campus !!!